Operative or Sniper

DaveVoogd

I don’t speak Imp, so I’ll give you the amazingly great and beautiful Pub version... (no need to thank me).

Scoundrel is a melee class that has access to both DPS, Heals. Their DPS, Off-heals and Heals are considered to be one of the best in the game. They are very slippery to deal with in PvP and will frequently run circles around you while healing themselves while doing damage to you. They are very vulnerable when stunned but they have the damage reduction to get out and keep fighting. This annoying-ness makes them the bane of the other classes and most will usable deal with you last unless you come across another Scoundrel. In PvE, most Scoundrels you see in PvE as usually healers though the DPS variants are great because of their easy to learn rotations. In general, an easy class to learn but a hard one to master; a fine choice. One of my favorites and my main. Scrapper is a burst spec which focuses on destroying your enemy when the weapons you were born with: your fists. You also get to roll through basically every CC and damage ability in the game. Ruffian is a burst spec which is considered to be one of the best, they’re high burst spammable gets stronger with each dot on your target. Your roll, unlike the Scrapper, does protect you from damage and CC (you get a 20% chance to dodge it) but instead allows you get a free Kolto Pack which is pretty powerful. Saw ones is the heal spec that focuses on small burst and heavy HoTs; the class is considered to be the most fun healing spec in the game.

Gunslingers are a ranged DPS class. What they lack in mobility makes up in an arsenal of defenses; no other class has so many offensive and defensive abilities. They are usually targeted first in Arenas (Ranked PvP) because of their incredible burst. Each of their specs (Sharpshooter, Saboteur and Dirty Fighting) both offer a variety of means to destroy your enemies. Sharpshooter is a hard-hitting burst class. Saboteur is a combination of DoT and Burst they are great in both single target and AoE and is also considered to be the one of the hardest classes to learn. Dirty Fighting is shared between Scoundrel and Gunslinger with minor differences between them (though Scoundrel variant is one of the highest parsing class in the game). In PvE, they are regarded as good Ranged DPS capable of providing a damage reduction shield to the whole raid group. A difficult class to master in both PvE and PvP resulting in it being targeted first in Ranked PvP. They also get a teleport in 6.0 but who cares about that lol.

That’s just a quick write-up. If you have any questions feel free to ask! Enjoy the Smuggler class; the best class in the game.

Wow thank you for this big reply, everything is very clear right now, i think that operative will be my playstyle, melee combat bursting and pve if needed healing.

One thing, is an operative a solid choice as dps for PvE content like nightmare OPS?

Wow thank you for this big reply, everything is very clear right now, i think that operative will be my playstyle, melee combat bursting and pve if needed healing.

One thing, is an operative a solid choice as dps for PvE content like nightmare OPS?

It has a high ceiling as the dps output is there - but it is not easy to play on a high level for master ops/ tanked and I can't stress that enough. Operatives have less mobility actually than other melee classes as in gab closers you can use as you need your "gap closers" for dps/ mechanics a lot of time. Also damage reduction / mitigation can be a slight problem in the heaviest incoming damage phases. Brontes burn for instance is a nightmare for operatives, but snipers on the other hand are one of the better classes for that fight.

The main benefit of operative is that you can heal and dps on one toon depending on the night/situation. Snipers are pure dps.

Given current meta also, snipers are The ranged dps in mm ops (Though higher gear levels has kinda neutralized the field but their group wide shield + armor debuff is always welcome in an advanced raid). In general also learning rdps at a high level for ops/ pvp is easier than a melee that is a big point. Anyways maybe some of this will change in 6.0 though judging by pts so far not really - the rich get richer.

I personally play the slinger pretty regularly and opers from time to time as a side distraction.

• 3 weeks later...

This is an old preview video released a little before SWTOR launched in 2011. Back then, you played the base class (Imperial Agent, Jedi Knight, etc.) without any of the special benefits of either advanced class, until level 10. Then you chose an advanced class and saw the trainer for it. This video shows the progression paths of the Imperial Agent.

(EDIT: The video is, now, obviously outdated, but still gives some idea into what the advanced classes are like.)

Pay CLOSE ATTENTION to the video starting at around 2 minutes 26 seconds, near the end, and you'll see the part that, when I saw it, I just knew I had to play a sniper.

Edited by HollyUSEC

• 4 weeks later...

Sniper4life.

Covering itself gives you 20% ranged defence, immunity to pull/charges, interrupts and ability pushback.

Aggro drop taht gives you 50% speed boost for 6 seconds

Interrupt

CC-breaker

5 secons of full evasion + 75% damage reduction from Force/Tech attacks

Blind

Grenade (knocks from feet standart and week enemies)

Self-shield

BALLISTIC SHIELD (huge aoe 25 seconds raid save that gives 20% damage reduction, more with utilities)

Aoe+immobilise knockback

Roll forvard that gives you 2 seconds of total evasion (pretty neat OH SH*T button)

AoE accuracy (45%!) debuff ("Miss me with that sh*t")

ENTRENCH (immune to all crowd control, 60% damage reduction from all AoE damage, 25 seconds length)

Immobilize

Another immobilize

Stun

IMPERIAL PREPARATION that refreshes your cooldowns on evasion, agro drop, self shield, roll, aoe knockback and entrench. You basicly have two stacks of them!

Yes, we're THAT op. Yes, that's why we always get focused, because you if dont focus a sniper - that f*cker will be an absolute pain in the a*s.

In PvE we have 35 meters range (all other classes have 30), a super-convenient AoE (only Sorcerers and Mercenaries have a better one - they dont have to take cover for it) and awesome looks. Some snipers in this game look like a freaking Barrett sniper rifle (X-52 Wraith Infiltrator, google it).

Sniper4life.

Covering itself gives you 20% ranged defence, immunity to pull/charges, interrupts and ability pushback.

Aggro drop taht gives you 50% speed boost for 6 seconds

Interrupt

CC-breaker

5 secons of full evasion + 75% damage reduction from Force/Tech attacks

Blind

Grenade (knocks from feet standart and week enemies)

Self-shield

BALLISTIC SHIELD (huge aoe 25 seconds raid save that gives 20% damage reduction, more with utilities)

Aoe+immobilise knockback

Roll forvard that gives you 2 seconds of total evasion (pretty neat OH SH*T button)

AoE accuracy (45%!) debuff ("Miss me with that sh*t")

ENTRENCH (immune to all crowd control, 60% damage reduction from all AoE damage, 25 seconds length)

Immobilize

Another immobilize

Stun

IMPERIAL PREPARATION that refreshes your cooldowns on evasion, agro drop, self shield, roll, aoe knockback and entrench. You basicly have two stacks of them!

Yes, we're THAT op. Yes, that's why we always get focused, because you if dont focus a sniper - that f*cker will be an absolute pain in the a*s.

In PvE we have 35 meters range (all other classes have 30), a super-convenient AoE (only Sorcerers and Mercenaries have a better one - they dont have to take cover for it) and awesome looks. Some snipers in this game look like a freaking Barrett sniper rifle (X-52 Wraith Infiltrator, google it).

Was playing yesterday and cloak/spike this sniper from behind. He didn't even care lol I beat on him for a few seconds and realized nothing was happening so burst away in shame.

• 4 weeks later...

THANK YOU FOR GIVING A LITTLE ADVICE!!!

I have had NO time to find any that takes in ABILITIES and TACTICS!!!!!

with the new abilities and tactics, I'm about to start my guy. I have them all.

This is what I narrowed it to. tell me if I should play another class. I got'em

Sniper/gunslinger

Merc/Op

Sin/Powertech

Sent, guard have finally turned into wow with their rage … so no

Oh yeah. I play during the day. my server is in London and I play from Alabama so I average around 100ms lag.

That prolly puts out Op's dps and maybe Powertechs …. I'm so sick of tank Sin, but dps is sooo bad, right?

I'd tip you if I could,

Jet