Goodbye, SWTOR. It's been fun.

Kokurou

As the title says, goodbye SWTOR. I hate to leave but, this **** has got to stop. Open racism, whether it's trolling or not, has no place in an MMO. I hate to hold EA/Bioware accountable BUT, a couple months ago this same thing happened where the other player got all of a 1 week ban.

To the players, if you think it's funny to casually spew a certain word used to keep a certain race in the dirt, you're part of the problem. "I can call anybody a n***er". No, you can't. And then to plead to me to chill and say "you probably real chill af irl", save me your apologetic bullsh*t dog.

I'm done. Trolling is one thing, racism is another. The two are not interchangeable.

The traditional question - "can I have your stuff?" :) jk

It seems rather drastic to quit the entire SWTOR community because you ran into a few people saying nasty stuff - people who were probably just kids being naughty. (You know how kids are when mommy's not around. :) )

Find a good Guild full of mature people.

Edited by JediQuaker

If its been fun then you shouldn't let a few people stop you playing.

Hell you do that then they won.

Now if you don't like the content, the bugs, the awful story telling, the focus on operational content etc etc then quit but not cause of some losers.

As the title says, goodbye SWTOR. I hate to leave but, this **** has got to stop. Open racism, whether it's trolling or not, has no place in an MMO. I hate to hold EA/Bioware accountable BUT, a couple months ago this same thing happened where the other player got all of a 1 week ban.

To the players, if you think it's funny to casually spew a certain word used to keep a certain race in the dirt, you're part of the problem. "I can call anybody a n***er". No, you can't. And then to plead to me to chill and say "you probably real chill af irl", save me your apologetic bullsh*t dog.

I'm done. Trolling is one thing, racism is another. The two are not interchangeable.

Report them again. Clearly it works...you noticed one player got a one week ban for it. But to quit because you ran into kids on the interweb is just silly.

Sorry you experienced this. That being said...

If I quit games after hearing insulting names hurled at not only others but myself I would have quit ages ago. This is no excuse, but when you got the anonymity of the internet, you get this type of behavior.

Long story short, put them on ignore, and report them. You can't let ignorant people dictate your emotions and feelings especially when they doing it across the internet anonymously.

Edited by Lhancelot

I totally understand how frustrating it is when you report someone doing something unquestionably out of line and it seems like all they got is a slap on the wrist, but quitting a game over it isn't going to change things. Keep reporting and at some point it's going to get noticed if someone's constantly getting reported and week bans aren't dinning some sense into them that it'll have to get more severe actions taken.

And there's also the Ignore option. I probably have maybe a handful of people on Ignore across all the MMOs I play, but weighing out thier behavior which made me block them vs anything game related they might say still had me put them on Ignore and it's been worth it to me.

The thread got moved to off topic to die of neglect, I think that shows how much will be done; while the top post on the general forums at time of writing is someone is someone promoting their referral link much to the ire no doubt of people that have been limited to having theirs in the signatures.

The thread got moved to off topic to die of neglect, I think that shows how much will be done; while the top post on the general forums at time of writing is someone is someone promoting their referral link much to the ire no doubt of people that have been limited to having theirs in the signatures.

Since "Goodbye" threads are frowned upon, it could've just as easily been deleted.

I love how people wait until the weekend, or off hours, to post things that'll be seen several hours before a moderator can intervene (that referral post for example). :rolleyes:

Edited by PorsaLindahl

The Forum is the only place where they care to enforce their own rules. Cause, you know, written stuff remains and can even be googled.

I'm fairly sure the toxic chatter drives more people away in this family-oriented IP, than anything else.

Edited by BenduKundalini

The Forum is the only place where they care to enforce their own rules. Cause, you know, written stuff remains and can even be googled.

I'm fairly sure the toxic chatter drives more people away in this family-oriented IP, than anything else.

No kidding. I was doing the Ziost story arc on my newbie earlier and had to pass through imp fleet. In the 3 minutes I was there, the pure crap that was being spewed was outrageous. I did a couple of ignores and reports (one would think that if someone were using a name that they know is a violation of the TOS that they would try not to draw too much attention to themselves. But then that requires some smidgen of common sense). Afterwards I just went about my business.

I don't think it's toxic chatter that drives people away. It's too easy to ignore or just plain leave a channel. It's more likely the culmination of bugs and the incompetence of BW to maintain the game at an acceptable level.

Edited by PorsaLindahl

I don't think it's toxic chatter that drives people away. It's too easy to ignore or just plain leave a channel. It's more likely the culmination of bugs and the incompetence of BW to maintain the game at an acceptable level.

That's true for long-term gamers like you and me. Casuals... I'd bet many times you have a dad that wants to take his kids to a galaxy far far away... never to come back after setting one foot on fleet.

That's true for long-term gamers like you and me. Casuals... I'd bet many times you have a dad that wants to take his kids to a galaxy far far away... never to come back after setting one foot on fleet.

True.

Compared to Dromund Kaas (on a good day), Imp Fleet chat is usually not too awful, but it does have it's moments. I had to "pass through" fleet again last night for turn ins and, omg (it was during one of those moments), the trash in general chat was incredible. I wasn't offended by it, but it was just pure unadulterated garbage. The kind of crap that makes you question the future of the human race if these kids (and I'm sure a fair share of them are adults) are going to be those in charge one day. :rolleyes:

What BW really needs to do, if they can't hire in-game moderators, is fix the ignore feature to ignore legacy instead of just the individual character.

It's easy to tell someone to just ignore all the garbage (and that is what I do - I have all my chat channels and invites turned off, including whispers, and I'm much happier for it).

But IMHO it can get trying when one's playing a game to escape and has to hear racist/homophobic/anti-Semitic bile, and I think it can easily put someone off wanting to play, especially if it seems to continue unabated.

• 2 weeks later...
Just turn off chat. And ignore people trying to bother you. I was on Ossus and I had a heal spec merc try to annoy me by constantly healing me lol. I just kept doing what i was doing. i was trying to great my character and companions and. This player kept doing it for 20 mins. I cued up for a wb boss fight and I was out of there. I get where you're coming from but, you should remember everyone is tough behind the curtain of anonymity. If you like the game just play with the chat turned off. I've played like that for years only turn on chat when I chat with guild members or in ops groups. Places to keep chat turned off: starter planets, korriban, Kass, Tython, Coruscant, Fleet, it's not too bad yet but soon Ossus. At the end the decision is yours. I hope you make the best decision for you and your mental health.