Please stop telling people to press spacebar

Cretinus

I would suggest they add an "express" tag to the group finder, allowing a person to indicate they wish to skip the dialog in a particular run, and that lets others know they want to do so. They could even match players based on this tag.

It would allow for those that wish to experience the story without being hassled, and at the same time give convenience to those that wish to run the content quickly.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand what the big whoop is. When you start a pug, ask folks, spacebar or cutscenes? And then work it out ahead of time. It's like figuring out who is main tank and who is healing whom and so on, it's just negotiating tactical point of grouping, for the style of the folks involved.

Hone those social skils for those *social points* kids! :)

I remember a week or so ago, I queued up for daily HM and got D7. First thing I ask as we hit the first cut scene: "Killing Boss or Skipping Bosses?" Everyone else goes: "Doesn't matter"

I didn't need the gear, but the tank goes, "Want to kill the bonus boss?" and Everyone goes: "YEAH!" cuz I'd never done it and they hadn't done it in a while. It was UBER fun! We had a good ol' time running around trying to figure out the bonus quests and where the click things are.

:D Sometimes it works out. I personally I have never told anyone to space bar (Unless it is my BF and I am yelling at him for playing his DS while we lvl, lol). If people want to space bar, all good, if not, all good too, I can alt tab and check my mail or get a drink real quick.

:D I'm pretty laid back about things and am not the kind of person to get upset quickly at the game. Hit me up if you wanna do the whole FP in HM sometime I'd love to do FE bonus boss or D7 again! :)

I understand what your saying but when you have done the flashpoint 1000000000 times you kind of get sick of seeing that same cut scenes over and over again.

This.

I'm sick of people not spacing through Black Talon\Essel. Especially when they're asked if they mind if we skip and they just remain silent. Ran those so many times I noticed that Asara has green eyes on the Esseles and brown eyes aboard Kilran's ship. To hell with those.

Want to see story? Go solo it on level 16-20 and don't delay others.

The game is designed to give priority to the player who wants to listen to dialogues and watch cut-scenes, within reason since there is still a timer involved possible choice.

That's how the game is supposed to work either in Story or Hard Mode and you can obviously expect in PUG to meet someone not "spacebarring" for his own reasons: it could be his first time, or it could be he simply enjoy it every time, or simply he does not like rushing through the dialogues.

Enjoying the game is not only about rushing fights and grinding gears. Every player enjoys SWTOR for his own reasons.

Same goes for people complaining that a tank is doing all the bonuses, or not skipping lower level enemies and complaining he should just rush toward the bosses for loot.

When teaming with random players, if one wishes to play a "spacebar", "boss rush", "barehand only", "kinky naked run" or whatever specific style, then one should expressly state so. So others can choose accordingly to group with him or not.

The problem is not about "spacebarring" or not, it's just about the lack of communication.

Some people don't want to take the time to talk a minimum when randomly grouping ( I really just mean few words to clear things up before starting), then they should not be surprised to encounter misunderstandings once into the action.

On a related sidenote, the current Group Finder implementation is not enough on a social aspect, as it does not allow more filtering or input information other than TANK, DPS or HEAL

Edited by Elysith

I agree with the OP and see his point. Yelling at someone to spacebar serves no purpose. People know they can spacebar through conversations at this point, so if they aren't doing it, generally, it's because they want to see the cut scenes. If that's a problem for you, then deal with it how you will (watch the scenes, quit group, or vote to kick).

Here are a few of my questions though, for the "spacebar advocates" our there.

1. You say you've played the FPs 1000s of times, but you spacebar through, so how many times have you actually seen the cutscenes? I admit, I generally default spacebar, so I miss the cutscenes and end up just sitting on the choice part and waiting for everyone else to catch up. Sometimes it is nice to actually watch the cutscenes, though and enjoy the story in this "story driven mmo."

2. As has been pointed out, how much time is actually saved by spacebarring through every cutscene (outside of Esseles/Black Talon)? Is it really that important that you shave 5-10 minutes off the run, so that you can go sit in the fleet and do nothing? Complaining that someone is wasting your time in a video game seems a little ironic to me, since games are, by their very nature, time wasters.

3. Do you see the irony in complaining about a lack of content coming out when you don't even take advantage of the content you have? I am just as guilty as anyone else of skipping mobs, bosses, etc. and spacebarring through cutscenes. But that is content, whether it's your first time doing it or your 100th time. So, to complain that EA/Bioware is not putting out more content, so that you can do as little of it as possible when it comes out, seems a little disingenuous to me.

Anyway, just my two cents. Not calling anyone out or attacking anyone, just offering some food for thought.

2. As has been pointed out, how much time is actually saved by spacebarring through every cutscene (outside of Esseles/Black Talon)? Is it really that important that you shave 5-10 minutes off the run, so that you can go sit in the fleet and do nothing? Complaining that someone is wasting your time in a video game seems a little ironic to me, since games are, by their very nature, time wasters..

I tend to spacebar so that I can have that 5-10 minutes from the flashpoint and apply that time on my Dailies x (3 Characters), HM Fps x (3 characters), and maybe an OP or two depending on day/lockouts.

I don't mind watching them though. Just prefer a quicker run.

Edited by Xenirath

The game is designed to give priority to the player who wants to listen to dialogues and watch cut-scenes, within reason since there is still a timer involved possible choice.

That's how the game is supposed to work either in Story or Hard Mode and you can obviously expect in PUG to meet someone not "spacebarring" for his own reasons: it could be his first time, or it could be he simply enjoy it every time, or simply he does not like rushing through the dialogues.

Enjoying the game is not only about rushing fights and grinding gears. Every player enjoys SWTOR for his own reasons.

Same goes for people complaining that a tank is doing all the bonuses, or not skipping lower level enemies and complaining he should just rush toward the bosses for loot.

When teaming with random players, if one wishes to play a "spacebar", "boss rush", "barehand only", "kinky naked run" or whatever specific style, then one should expressly state so. So others can choose accordingly to group with him or not.

The problem is not about "spacebarring" or not, it's just about the lack of communication.

Some people don't want to take the time to talk a minimum when randomly grouping ( I really just mean few words to clear things up before starting), then they should not be surprised to encounter misunderstandings once into the action.

On a related sidenote, the current Group Finder implementation is not enough on a social aspect, as it does not allow more filtering or input information other than TANK, DPS or HEAL

The first sentence is the truth of the matter, and what many people fail to understand. One should never assume that everyone will spacebar unless it's discussed. This has nothing to do with non-skippers being rude, inconsiderate, holding up the group, "majority rules" or any of that. It's also not a valid reason to criticize them, blacklist them, or try to kick them from the group. Unless stated before the group gets rolling, the only assumption you should make is that people are going to watch the cutscenes. Not the other way around.

I tend to spacebar so that I can have that 5-10 minutes from the flashpoint and apply that time on my Dailies x (3 Characters), HM Fps x (3 characters), and maybe an OP or two depending on day/lockouts.

I don't mind watching them though. Just prefer a quicker run.

Oh, I certainly agree with you here. I know that that time can add up, especially when trying to run through things on multiple 50s. I have 3 50s (on one server that I play) and I know how frustrating it is to get bogged down while trying to run through dailies. Anything that slows down that process is a headache.

But when I actually stop to think about it, what am I really hurrying for? So, I can then log off the game? Especially since there isn't much else to do, beyond dailies and FPs/Ops. Granted I am an altaholic, so it helps me get to those alts without neglecting my 50s, but it's not a huge issue to me one way or the other.

That said, if someone in the group is yelling about spacebar, something I do (along with some of my guildies) is to join in the shouting, all the while intentionally NOT hitting spacebar, just to annoy that person and confuse the hell out of them about the identity of the actual culprit. ;)

Whereas, if you ask the group nicely ("do you guys mind if we spacebar through the cutscenes?"), then I'm much more inclined to go with the group's wishes.

For reference, I do spacebar usually. But I won't stand for people trying to force it on others. Regardless, if I don't want to spacebar, I don't need the group's permission. Not asking "can I please watch these" is not rude or "wasting everyone's time". Watching the cutscenes is the default action. Spacebar is the exception.

That's good because it makes no sense. The story dialogue is there. If the player does nothing, the story will play. Spacebarring is the anomaly. It is offered for those who wish it, but it is not how the Flashpoint works by default. You are asking to change the status quo. You should take the responsibility to find a group that wishes to play that way.

Actually, the one against the majority is the anomaly. Or not doing what is expected.

Because, if a vote is asked and 3 vote spacebar, you are the anomaly.

Edited by Styxx

This is one of the many reasons I don't pug.

indeed that is also the reason i dont pug i run with a group of friends who enjoy the story line of the Flashpoint. plus im a tank so i can find another group rather quickly if i get the boot from the impatient pew pew blow stuff up now players :D

As repeated so often in this thread, it's not about asking to spacebar, it's the overall rudeness in the game by people wanting to rush and ruining play for people new to the content. We've all got to start somewhere. I've made my point clear by voting to kick spacebar freaks. If somebody wants to do the content, let them, if they don't then spacebar away.

Yes, it really is about rudeness. Requiring spacebar for all players in a given run is all about enforcing your rules on them. I am fed up with that type of behavior enough that I can, have and will jump down the throat of the person being rude.

I don't care how you feel about spacebars, I care that I will have people to play with tomorrow and the next day when you've rushed on to the next big thing and I'm still happy with SWTOR. Trolling, being rude and rushing ahead of the tank are all destroying the game for new players and are bad things in my book. Those activities will get the idiots killed repeatedly until we either get tired of them being an idiot and boot em out or they rage quit because healers can heal almost everything except terminal stupidity.

I have said it before and I'll say it again: if somebody wants to be rude in one of my runs, they need to prepare to be dumped out at the bottom of the queue because my life is too short to feed their sense of self-entitlement. Their entitlement ends where it interferes with any other person's ability to enjoy the game.

Edited by tankthing

I have said it before and I'll say it again: if somebody wants to be rude in one of my runs, they need to prepare to be dumped out at the bottom of the queue because my life is too short to feed their sense of self-entitlement. Their entitlement ends where it interferes with any other person's ability to enjoy the game.

The ONLY people who are feeling "entitled" are the ones on either side of this who refuse to accept the other side.

Both spacebar spammers and the lonely who wanna watch the videos for the 100th time, are fully ENTITLED to play the way they like. The group is also ENTITLED to react how they want, including kicking either of these people.

It's an MMO. When you do things as a group, group majority rules.

Actually, the one against the majority is the anomaly. Or not doing what is expected.

Because, if a vote is asked and 3 vote spacebar, you are the anomaly.

The one against the majority may look like an anomaly in their eyes since he refuses to play the way they want him to play. But the true anomaly in the grand scheme of things is the said majority. You can't deny that watching the story is a default way of playing through a FP, no matter normal or hc, which is intended by Bioware. Skipping the story, on the other hand, is just a side option for cases when the entire group is willing to do so.

I agree...in every FP I spam spacebar, 1, spacebar, 1, spacebar, 1. But there have been enough instances running FPs in my guild when we are all staring at the "Waiting on Group Members" message that I think it is just rude to assume someone isn't doing it when it could simply be the game being buggy.

I am tempted to adopt of a policy of watching all of the story when someone demands it be skipped.

The one against the majority may look like an anomaly in their eyes since he refuses to play the way they want him to play. But the true anomaly in the grand scheme of things is the said majority. You can't deny that watching the story is a default way of playing through a FP, no matter normal or hc, which is intended by Bioware. Skipping the story, on the other hand, is just a side option for cases when the entire group is willing to do so.

Default?! What is this "default" crap? Bioware added the spacebar option - it's a "default" as well. Perhaps their intent was for you to use it after the 1st time through?

Please just stop with this moronic idea that one style is "default" or more "entitled" than the other. BOTH styles are supported, by DEFAULT. If you don't like your group, leave. If someone in your group isn't playing nice, kick them. Watchers are no better than skippers. You both have a right to ask others to do it your way, but nobody is required to. Don't like it, find a new group.

Edited by TUXs

Default?! What is this "default" crap? Bioware added the spacebar option - it's a "default" as well. Perhaps their intent was for you to use it after the 1st time through?

Please just stop with this moronic idea that one style is "default" or more "entitled" than the other. BOTH styles are supported, by DEFAULT. If you don't like your group, leave. If someone in your group isn't playing nice, kick them. Watchers are no better than skippers. You both have a right to ask others to do it your way, but nobody is required to. Don't like it, find a new group.

'Default' because you have to take extra action to skip the cutscene. I don't know why you're so upset over that. Just keep using the space bar as per your usual routine.

This.

I'm sick of people not spacing through Black Talon\Essel. Especially when they're asked if they mind if we skip and they just remain silent. Ran those so many times I noticed that Asara has green eyes on the Esseles and brown eyes aboard Kilran's ship. To hell with those.

Want to see story? Go solo it on level 16-20 and don't delay others.

Its not your fp or your group nor your decision for other players. If you wish to have the ability to make decisions for other players I suggest you spam the fleet until you find three other people willing to consent to your decisions for them then queue up as a group.....

Otherwise suck it up and accept its the random group finder where no one is going to give a womprats arse about letting you make decisions for them......or consent to it.

'Default' because you have to take extra action to skip the cutscene. I don't know why you're so upset over that. Just keep using the space bar as per your usual routine.

I'm not even slightly upset - in fact, I think this is the most foolish thread I've ever read because every person strongly opinionated, one way or the other, seems to forget they are playing an MMO where other people are also involved. I've never seen such selfishness, hypocrisy or entitlement from so many people. And you must be confused with that last comment - I suggest you begin at the start of this thread before tossing out accusations that are false.

This ENTIRE argument can be easily solved - KICK or QUIT. I encourage everyone to exercise those choices.

I'm not even slightly upset - in fact, I think this is the most foolish thread I've ever read because every person strongly opinionated, one way or the other, seems to forget they are playing an MMO where other people are also involved. I've never seen such selfishness, hypocrisy or entitlement from so many people. And you must be confused with that last comment - I suggest you begin at the start of this thread before tossing out accusations that are false.

This ENTIRE argument can be easily solved - KICK or QUIT. I encourage everyone to exercise those choices.

Okay.

Edited by JediNg

Now we are vote kicking over player playing the game. Quit if you are so impatient, but don't kick over someone playing the game.

I have no problem with skipping...I am hitting spacebar, but if someone wants to watch it I am not going to have a cow and leave or vote kick them. Just can't be that impatient and that selfish and self-centered. I am also not going to vote kick or quit as I feel that I have made a commitment to the group when I sign into group finder and call me old fashion, but I keep my word. At the time I do HMFP pretty much get a instant queue on my healer, but that does not mean I am going to leave my team just because something is easier or faster.

Now if someone ninja non-class gear from someone that can use it or is a jerk to another player, then I will go along with a vote kick, but I am not kicking for someone wanting to watch the story.

Also have no problem with someone typing spacebar once...Since I have forgot to hit spacebar once in awhile. It is just when it is constant and it is obvious the person is watching story where that annoys me.

Edited by mikebevo

Now we are vote kicking over player playing the game. Quit if you are so impatient, but don't kick over someone playing the game.

I have no problem with skipping...I am hitting spacebar, but if someone wants to watch it I am not going to have a cow and leave or vote kick them. Just can't be that impatient and that selfish and self-centered. I am also not going to vote kick or quit as I feel that I have made a commitment to the group when I sign into group finder and call me old fashion, but I keep my word. At the time I do HMFP pretty much get a instant queue on my healer, but that does not mean I am going to leave my team just because something is easier or faster.

Now if some ninja non-class gear from someone that can use it or is a jerk to another player, then I will go along with a vote kick, but I am not kicking for someone wanting to watch the story.

Also have no problem with someone typing spacebar once...Since I have forgot to hit spacebar once in awhile. It is just when it is constant and it is obvious the person is watching story where that annoys me.

Pretty much. Either I go with people I know (which is most of the time), or I play at a time which I can accomodate someone watching the scenes.

"I" don't. I'm simply saying, these are the 2 options for extremists on BOTH sides of this - KICK or QUIT.

I believe the majority of the people don't feel strongly enough about it either way. Most players try to get a feel for the group and go with the flow.