With Tully suggesting limiting unique currencies, can we look at events?

ZionHalcyon

For context, this was from the Onslaught Reddit AMA:

Which currencies are you getting rid of? I really think it needs a streamline!

So, fully acknowledge that currencies have gotten out of hand as of late. Historically, currency was used to gauge participation in specific content. However, we should be much more diligent about how many unique currencies are active at one time. For reputation areas I'd like us to lean away from unique's and rely more on the Reputation requirement and a simple Credit transaction.

Currencies planned for deprecation (Credit conversion):

Unassembled Components

Command Tokens

Masterwork Crystals

Monumental Crystals

Alliance Recon Data

For the existing reputation currencies we'll be moving them to a new category on the currency window so they aren't competing for "End Game" Status. - Tully

So might I make a suggestion on events?

When a person grinds reputation for an event, and they finally hit Legend rank, all of the other missions for grinding reputation become useless other than to sell them for a really low amount of credits. And some of the prices with the unique currency are overly high, which limits people for instance who wants to fully decorate a stronghold from doing so. This can lead to fatigue and people just simply giving up participating in the event.

Why not take a page from Tully's book and change a lot of those two credits but locked behind reputation.

Further, to keep the other missions relevant once per a person hits Legend rank, instead of unique currency, use the reputation items themselves as the currency.

For instance, take the gree event.

Instead of the crazy amount of Grey helix components that people need in order to get weapons, Vehicles, Etc, you could have decorations costing between 50000 to 500000 credits and 2 to 5 green reputation pieces each. Weapons could be priced between 100,000 to 500,000, and one or two blue reputation pieces each. The vehicles could be converted to be between 500,000 and 1 million credits, and one to two purple reputation pieces each. And you never price anything in an event more than 1 million credits so that the upcoming change allows free-to-play and premium players to participate in these events.

And frankly I don't want to hear from the elitists who say that they want everyone else to have to suffer the way they suffered having to save up for everything. I am someone who has two gray Helix blasters, a gray Helix sniper rifle, a gray Helix vibroknife, and 18 gree wall panels. I've done my share of grinding to and I am saying this is a change that would be better for the health of the game and much better for the fun of the game in the events.

How about it Eric, can you pass this along to the team?

For context, this was from the Onslaught Reddit AMA:

So might I make a suggestion on events?

When a person grinds reputation for an event, and they finally hit Legend rank, all of the other missions for grinding reputation become useless other than to sell them for a really low amount of credits. And some of the prices with the unique currency are overly high, which limits people for instance who wants to fully decorate a stronghold from doing so. This can lead to fatigue and people just simply giving up participating in the event.

Why not take a page from Tully's book and change a lot of those two credits but locked behind reputation.

Further, to keep the other missions relevant once per a person hits Legend rank, instead of unique currency, use the reputation items themselves as the currency.

For instance, take the gree event.

Instead of the crazy amount of Grey helix components that people need in order to get weapons, Vehicles, Etc, you could have decorations costing between 50000 to 500000 credits and 2 to 5 green reputation pieces each. Weapons could be priced between 100,000 to 500,000, and one or two blue reputation pieces each. The vehicles could be converted to be between 500,000 and 1 million credits, and one to two purple reputation pieces each. And you never price anything in an event more than 1 million credits so that the upcoming change allows free-to-play and premium players to participate in these events.

And frankly I don't want to hear from the elitists who say that they want everyone else to have to suffer the way they suffered having to save up for everything. I am someone who has two gray Helix blasters, a gray Helix sniper rifle, a gray Helix vibroknife, and 18 gree wall panels. I've done my share of grinding to and I am saying this is a change that would be better for the health of the game and much better for the fun of the game in the events.

How about it Eric, can you pass this along to the team?

Not a bad idea.

I’m assuming you would still need to hit the reputation markers to have access to certain pieces and those reputation boosters would be removed from Box Drops (currently CXP crates)

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Not a bad idea.

I’m assuming you would still need to hit the reputation markers to have access to certain pieces and those reputation boosters would be removed from Box Drops (currently CXP crates)

Yes, equipment would still be gated by reputation.

CXP Crates are getting overhauled anyway, so who knows at this point:

GALACTIC COMMAND BECOMES GALACTIC RENOWN

Galactic Command (which is getting renamed to Galactic Renown) and the Conquest – the two supplemental systems – will also allow you to get gear by participating in them.

The Galactic Renown system gets a revamp too. It will have a flat progression system in Onslaught. You will always get items that are relative to your current item rating, not based on the Galactic Renown rank. The Ranks are now purely cosmetic… for Renown, as Charles said it himself.

Renown will be seasonal! There will be a reset of your Galactic Renown rank once in a while to keep you motivated to grind through it. Since this is purely cosmetic now, this wont be a big issue, except that at the beginning of each season you will have to start all the way down from Rank 1 again. All of the achievements and titles attached that you have earned from Galactic Command prior to the expansion and the changes, will forever remain yours, but you will never again be able to earn them after 6.0. What this means is that you have to get them now if you want to keep them.

CXP is going to be tied directly to XP and become a flat percentage of the XP you earn as you play the game. CXP is also getting renamed – to Renown XP. Pretty much everywhere we now have “Command”, it will be replaced with “Renown”.

https://vulkk.com/2019/05/31/swtor-6-0-spoils-of-war-everything-we-learned-from-the-bioware-dev-stream/#GALACTIC_COMMAND_BECOMES_GALACTIC_RENOWN

But even if they don't remove reputation from crates, it's no biggie - not like it shows up a ton, just once in a while for potentially anything. So getting one would just be a nice surprise, vs something to deconstruct.

Someone recently posted they’d just got the fleet rep to 100% and never done any missions. The only way they did it was through the rep booster drops from CXP crates.

That’s why I mentioned removing them if they were to look at your idea. Otherwise people aren’t incentivised to play the content. (Currently you need the unique rep currency and that’s the incentive)

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Someone recently posted they’d just got the fleet rep to 100% and never done any missions. The only way they did it was through the rep booster drops from CXP crates.

That’s why I mentioned removing them if they were to look at your idea. Otherwise people aren’t incentivised to play the content. (Currently you need the unique rep currency and that’s the incentive)

That makes a whole lot of sense. My only gripe is that the incentive to play that content is that it should be good or at least fresh content. Class ship missions for example were never all that enjoyable and now look at how old they are lol.

That is possible, however, let me tell you that it takes a very long time. Context matters. In a lot of cases, someone grinding reputation hardcore can get Legend rank in 3 weeks to a month.

I can tell you that's just from cxp packs I have been able to grind hero rank in GSI, Fleet, and let's say two other areas of reputation where I don't play a single mission. You might say that's not fair. However, what if I told you that I attained those ranks in the time 5.0 and cxp packs started, until now? That isn't a month. That is almost 4 years.

Cxp was designed for this so it's not unfair in any respect. Therefore I wouldn't worry about reputation in Renown packs going forward. It's simply not efficient.

I like the idea of unifying event currencies for I truly detest having to grind 50 completed bounty contracts for the HK appearance on every single HK I want to use it with. Maxing out reputation should unlock item to be purchasable via credits.

And at least under my idea, if they'd still wanted it not just credits, all you would have to do is a couple of missions 2 get the reputation tokens needed

That is possible, however, let me tell you that it takes a very long time. Context matters. In a lot of cases, someone grinding reputation hardcore can get Legend rank in 3 weeks to a month.

I can tell you that's just from cxp packs I have been able to grind hero rank in GSI, Fleet, and let's say two other areas of reputation where I don't play a single mission. You might say that's not fair. However, what if I told you that I attained those ranks in the time 5.0 and cxp packs started, until now? That isn't a month. That is almost 4 years.

Cxp was designed for this so it's not unfair in any respect. Therefore I wouldn't worry about reputation in Renown packs going forward. It's simply not efficient.

This was me, and it did take a long time. :) I hate the space missions so never had any interest in doing them. I've played since launch and have about 15 characters at CXP 300, just from playing and not grinding it. I think I can safely say it took me thousands and thousands of boxes to get that reputation.

The more I think about this system, the more I like it.

Going to use the Gree event as an example again.

Unless someone is brand new, all anyone runs anymore is Primary Testing and Xeno for the Gree cores. The other Dailies get mostly ignored by people who max out reputation.

If Gree Items were a combo of Reputation Tokens and credits instead of just Grey Helix components, now you have a reason to do more of the daily missions, and by keeping the reputation token requirement low, you allow people to get what they want for a REASONABLE time investment, and keep them coming back whenever they want something new.

Because Event Token fatigue is real. And this is a good solution to it.