Why so many melee npcs?

Destronicus

I don't know a whole lot about the extended universe so this one thing struck me as odd in this game. There are a lot of non force users that have melee weapons in this game. I don't mean like the more primitive races or whatever but the various military organizations, gangs, crime cartels, etc. that we have to fight.

You would think they would have no chance against actual Jedi and Sith melee, and would be cut down by military forces with blasters and such since they would have no chance of blocking the bolts like Jedi could, so I just don't get why they would choose an vibro sword over a blaster rifle.

Is this just a game balance type thing to mix in melee and ranged mobs or is there a lore reason behind this?

Edited by Destronicus

obviously there needs to be some enemies that get close to you so you have a reason to use your close-up moves and to keep you from spamming the same attack.

But I would prefer if they used knives or something similar instead of batons. But I guess they figured that the animations would not be appreciated fully if they did that.