Why play Empire?

Dan_McMan

So, the Empire endorses slavery, genocide, and fascist governance. It's not like they allow or turn a blind eye to these things, it's like step one of any policy making process is "Can we kill a puppy? Good, make it happen!"

I appreciate that it can be fun to try on other hats, so to speak, but when I play a Sith or something, and I try to play them darkside, it isn't long before I start thinking "Someone needs to stop this guy!" Evil I get, evil can be fun, but these people are psychotic - random destruction and murder isn't evil, it's wasteful.

Evil doesn't commit genocide - it says, "Why kill them when we can enslave them?"

True evil doesn't enslave - it says, "Why enslave them when we can pay them a pitiable amount and say we're helping uplift an alien economy?"

It is kind of funny, really, playing the Empire. I often find myself thinking "there's no way this group of disfunctional psychopaths could keep an Empire intact for more than about a week".

It's not just that they are malicious, short-sighted morons, but they also spend about as much time infighting as they do anything else. You won't even get out of the Sith Academy without killing like 3 students and your teacher. And the reasoning seems fairly shallow: emotion gives you the best power over the Force, fine, I can buy that, and fear and hatred are the strongest emotions so we're going to go with that for everything we do, all the time. No other emotions can possibly have any use, just those two.

It's a bit silly after a while, really.

Although it is a bit fun sometimes. Every MMORPG has quests where you just think, "Can't I just kill this guy?" As a Sith, sometimes, you can.

Also, Bounty Hunters are not particularly stupid or evil -- just their bosses are.

Agents can go either way as well.

Really it's just the Sith that are the extreme morons of the galaxy and of course they're the ones in charge.

Yeah I agree with the OP. I want to slap 75% of my questgivers for being smug, self-important ******bags. (Perhaps I just pre-judge the accent? Oh wait, it's what they say in addition to how they say it.) Many do come off as very short-sighted. I love how the Empire describes the Republic as "weak and squabbling" when, in all honesty, I see little more harmony with the Imps.

That said, it is fun to play a light-side bounty hunter alt, and often go behind the backs of said insufferable questgivers.

But no I couldn't get into it enough to roleplay it full time.

(I do have an underdog complex - I much prefer whichever faction is least played or seen as currently "weaker" than another. Back when Alliance outnumbered Horde 2:1 in WoW, I was a proud member of the Horde and simply couldn't get into playing an Alliance character.)

Edited by Stenrik

Look don't get me wrong when I support the empire more than the republic (I do not support mass genocide or slavery in any way). The reason I do not support the republic is because there cowards and when it's time to take action they would rather hold countless meetings about when they should act, and as they are talking people are dying. If you play balmora for the empire the republic sends thousands of troops to help a rouge republic general that is trying to free the balmoran people from the empire and when you finally capture him (or kill him) the darth who has you do all of this shows you a holo recording of what the republic said on the matter saying that all those troops were rebels and traitors to the republic for there actions on balmorra, so instead of taking responciblity for what they did they would rather condem there people for there actions. Also on belsavis you will come in contact with a group of highly respected cathar who they put into cryo stasis for using there right to freedom of speech against the republic because the republic signed the treaty of peace with the empire. So even if you play either republic or empire they both have there demons but just cause you play empire doesn't mean you support them I play as a mandalorian bounty hunter with full lightside and whenever I get the chance I will smash the empire in my speech choices but I refuse to play republic for there cowardice and inability to take action

It is kind of funny, really, playing the Empire. I often find myself thinking "there's no way this group of disfunctional psychopaths could keep an Empire intact for more than about a week".

Its not like their aren't real world countries where some people have no faith in their government, but still love their country. I always figured it was the regular human imperials who kept things running semi-smoothly. The Darth powerhouses are around incase of war, invasion, whatever. But they'd think anything else would be beneath them. The Lords and other lesser Sith run around for the Darths playing some messed up version of Clue with each other. All the while, the rest of the empire is just trying to do their job.

Anyway, it would be neat and challenging to have more variety in the empire-based classes that have to work around the sith, rather than as one of them.

Look don't get me wrong when I support the empire more than the republic (I do not support mass genocide or slavery in any way). The reason I do not support the republic is because there cowards and when it's time to take action they would rather hold countless meetings about when they should act, and as they are talking people are dying. If you play balmora for the empire the republic sends thousands of troops to help a rouge republic general that is trying to free the balmoran people from the empire and when you finally capture him (or kill him) the darth who has you do all of this shows you a holo recording of what the republic said on the matter saying that all those troops were rebels and traitors to the republic for there actions on balmorra, so instead of taking responciblity for what they did they would rather condem there people for there actions. Also on belsavis you will come in contact with a group of highly respected cathar who they put into cryo stasis for using there right to freedom of speech against the republic because the republic signed the treaty of peace with the empire. So even if you play either republic or empire they both have there demons but just cause you play empire doesn't mean you support them I play as a mandalorian bounty hunter with full lightside and whenever I get the chance I will smash the empire in my speech choices but I refuse to play republic for there cowardice and inability to take action

When playing as Empire, Republic look like fools. When playing as Republic, Empire looks like fools.

I appreciate that it can be fun to try on other hats, so to speak, but when I play a Sith or something, and I try to play them darkside, it isn't long before I start thinking "Someone needs to stop this guy!"

You are weak !

it's hard to understand how could you survive the trials at the academy ...

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the Empire has never participated in genocide, however the republic has.

That is the Empire has never sought the extermination of any one species. YET the republic has, like in the end of the great hyperspace war.

Nar Shaddaa main questline for the Republic disagrees with you.

You know, even you can turn from the dark side, and embrace the light.

I'll crush everyone.

When the right moment comes , i'll just TAKE the light and control it . Bend it according to my will .

grrrr , grrrrr, grrrrrr , grrrrr

Hopefully this answers the question "why play empire" ?

(PS: in case it's not obvious , grrrr = rage )

I play empire characters because of the agent and the bounty hunter, pretty much.

I'm moving through act-3 for both classes, and it's been a lot of fun. Except for the introduction of Skadge for my BH. I want to slap the writer who wrote my BH's dialogue dealing with him. :jawa_mad:

My agent is doing what she can to preserve the empire for the PEOPLE of the empire, not the psychotic despots in charge of it. If she could wipe out all the sith, she would.

I prefer/play Empire cuz they're just more amusing simply, fun. I also think their tech/mech is better, all round. Their uniforms look better too. While there is corruption within, they still have places for honor, tolerance, here & there, mostly whenever someone high ranking enough requires it.

There is infighting yes, but the Imperial government also manages to be brutally efficient when it needs to be. If not, well it would never have won ANY victories against the Republic/Jedi would it now.

The Republic looks less fun. Dealing with whiny people, senators, their issues, trivial tasks, etc. Having to do the 'right thing', holding back, eh.

The Republic looks less fun. Dealing with whiny people, senators, their issues, trivial tasks, etc. Having to do the 'right thing', holding back, eh.

So the republic is the adult, and the empire is the emotional teenager who doesn't want to have to do what the adults tell them... :jawa_wink:

So, the Empire endorses slavery, genocide, and fascist governance. It's not like they allow or turn a blind eye to these things, it's like step one of any policy making process is "Can we kill a puppy? Good, make it happen!"

I appreciate that it can be fun to try on other hats, so to speak, but when I play a Sith or something, and I try to play them darkside, it isn't long before I start thinking "Someone needs to stop this guy!" Evil I get, evil can be fun, but these people are psychotic - random destruction and murder isn't evil, it's wasteful.

Evil doesn't commit genocide - it says, "Why kill them when we can enslave them?"

True evil doesn't enslave - it says, "Why enslave them when we can pay them a pitiable amount and say we're helping uplift an alien economy?"

My sith is actually a little different, he kills when they have no use in the empire or if it would hinder it. I think your just pushing dark choices for points and not the reason.

Same with my jedi knight. If its good for the republic or to bed a hot alien chick he will do it dark side or good.

Obviously if you can get endless points for both light and dark, and even then you get bonuses for choosing the right decision. But mindlessly pressing dark or light choices will get you a ****ed up character development.

Thats like asking "Why would you want to play as Darth Vader in a video game?" This is basically an entry level gaming mentality.

Its a role playing game. You create a hero or villain and you play them as a character. Its not "play yourself if you were in Star Wars". You create an evil character if you want, and decide what evil things he would do. All while you are actually a nice guy behind the computer, and frequently are helping your friends.

Summary: Role playing game