Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How to make Jugg DPS viable in PVP ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
How to make Jugg DPS viable in PVP ?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DavidAtkinson's Avatar


DavidAtkinson
02.03.2018 , 08:01 AM | #151
Last seek I've played solo ranked a lot on darth malgus and I've seen Jugg DPS's who just refused to die..

Those guys kited so well that focusing them was a waste of time.

So, is Jugg DPS viable in ranked ?

Or Jugg DPS is as good as the person behind the keyboard is allowing it to be ?

Sometimes I see things that makes me question a lot of ideas people have about PVP in this game.

supertimtaf's Avatar


supertimtaf
02.03.2018 , 10:37 AM | #152
Quote: Originally Posted by DavidAtkinson View Post
Last seek I've played solo ranked a lot on darth malgus and I've seen Jugg DPS's who just refused to die..

Those guys kited so well that focusing them was a waste of time.

So, is Jugg DPS viable in ranked ?

Or Jugg DPS is as good as the person behind the keyboard is allowing it to be ?

Sometimes I see things that makes me question a lot of ideas people have about PVP in this game.
Eheh, the issue with Solo Ranked is that it's often difficult to judge the skill of someone here because of the random team factor. Either your jugg was very good, or your team was very bad. Both can happen, and it's very likely that we will never know the true answer to this question.
Eliadil - Darkness Assassin Darth Malgus

Feel free to use my referal link if you liked my help ! Free stuff for you and me !

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
02.03.2018 , 11:15 AM | #153
Quote: Originally Posted by DavidAtkinson View Post
Last seek I've played solo ranked a lot on darth malgus and I've seen Jugg DPS's who just refused to die..

Those guys kited so well that focusing them was a waste of time.

So, is Jugg DPS viable in ranked ?

Or Jugg DPS is as good as the person behind the keyboard is allowing it to be ?

Sometimes I see things that makes me question a lot of ideas people have about PVP in this game.
Everyone is only as good as the person behind the keyboard. That is why we try to make comparisons between good v good. Bad v bad or good v bad come down to questions of skill, not spec.

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
02.03.2018 , 11:19 AM | #154
Quote: Originally Posted by supertimtaf View Post
A good tank will be an excellent skank. A bad dps will just be a bad dps, skank or not.
And yeah in ranked you want to try and avoid the «full dps gear» part, because if you can't take care of yourself a minimum or/and use guard then you'll just get crushed, tanks are the first focus of solo ranked.
You can still have an hybrid of both gear, it's what works best usually.
I gear high endurance dps for anything. The little bit of ranked I did proved to be, gear wise, the same as regs. Meaning the best way to gear a tank is for maximum endurance. Unless in had a weird experience in the few matches I did. I despise arenas of any form, so I could he wrong.

But def/shield/absorb don't stop being nearly useless because you're doing a different kind of PvP. Endurance stacking is the best way to go for pvp tanks.

Also I get focused first/by the most people many times, whether in regs or ranked

Rafiknoll's Avatar


Rafiknoll
02.03.2018 , 01:34 PM | #155
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
But def/shield/absorb don't stop being nearly useless because you're doing a different kind of PvP. Endurance stacking is the best way to go for pvp tanks.
Def in PVP - responds only to white damage, nullified completely while stunned. Additionally, the whole def stat in the mods (which can be replaced by power) equals maybe 7%. Conclusion - useless.

Shield and absorb in PVP: Works on both white and yellow damage, and is broken down by damage type (not attack type). Does not affect most of the DoTs in the game (though it affects some), and not a select few abilities that players can use (Thundering blast, discharge, immolate and a few more) because they deal internal damage. It affects the rest. You have <shield>% chance to reduce additional <absorb>% from the damage. If the enemy's critical chance + your shield chance is above 100%, then you have <the enemy's chance NOT to crit>% chance to reduce additional <absorb>% from the damage, or in other words - in such cases all non-crit damage you take (excluding the dots and other sources of the rare internal damage) will be shielded. You will feel less difference when fighting 3 DoT specs or when taking a thundering blast, but you will feel quite a big one if fighting 3 arsenal mercs. Conclusion - has uses, and is the personal choice for each player to pick it over crit ,alac or additional power and mastery (don't pick acc, tanks don't need that).

But I agree that above all high endurance is important. Use the mods and enhancements with the highest endurance possible. The tank stats from the enhancements are your secondary focus. Main is endurance, and same goes for the power from the lethal mods.

supertimtaf's Avatar


supertimtaf
02.03.2018 , 02:17 PM | #156
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafiknoll View Post

Does not affect most of the DoTs in the game (though it affects some), and not a select few abilities that players can use (Thundering blast, discharge, immolate and a few more) because they deal internal damage
Shield chance will indeed not affect any DoTs. The only one that will be affected are the ones like Crushing Darkness for sorcerer, because they have an initial "big" hit. If you shield the first big hit, you'll still take the rest of the dot tho

And it works also on Thundering Blast, Discharge and everything. Even though you may not see it often because those abilities are often tied to an auto-crit, which cannot be shielded, just like you cannot shield any crit in the game. (that's dumb, I know, and should be fixed)

You're mixing up Damage Reduction and Shield Chance.
Internal and Elemental damage bypass armor, but they still can be shielded. You take a ton of damage from a Volatile Substance or a Discharge because they will always ignore your armor. You can still shield those attacks or resist them, but any damage reduction tied to armor is bypassed. The big issue here being that Jugg, like PT, have a lot of their passive mitigation tied to the heavy armor perk.
Eliadil - Darkness Assassin Darth Malgus

Feel free to use my referal link if you liked my help ! Free stuff for you and me !

Schoock's Avatar


Schoock
02.03.2018 , 02:34 PM | #157
Quote: Originally Posted by supertimtaf View Post
Internal and Elemental damage bypass armor, but they still can be shielded.
No they can't. The tooltip for Shield Chance says, I quote "Chance that incoming energy or kinetic damage will be reduced by your shield."
Faction imbalance is the scientific term for saying player skills mature at a later age than that of the intended audience of a certain faction.

Ne'laa & other Mentally Challenged from The Red Eclipse

Alec_Fortescue's Avatar


Alec_Fortescue
02.03.2018 , 02:35 PM | #158
Quote: Originally Posted by DavidAtkinson View Post
Last seek I've played solo ranked a lot on darth malgus and I've seen Jugg DPS's who just refused to die..

Those guys kited so well that focusing them was a waste of time.

So, is Jugg DPS viable in ranked ?

Or Jugg DPS is as good as the person behind the keyboard is allowing it to be ?
Playing yolos with sub 1k people.... Right. There isn't a single Gold-tier Jug/Guard dps at the moment unless they're dpsing in tank spec.

There is a reason for that. Vengeance and Rage jug are worthless and have no place in solo ranked and in MLG TR. Even powertech is better than juggernaut right now.

Comments of you people just make me laugh. All top ranked solo jugs are skank dps. They only tend to focus with guarding in specific scenarios and healer games. Otherwise they're better off focusing on dpsing and not even guarding anyone. Sad reality is that Jug is only viable as a skank because they get massive survivability boost over other dps specs, have very good burst for hardswitches and aoe is also good but nowhere as powertech's.

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
02.03.2018 , 03:00 PM | #159
Quote: Originally Posted by Alec_Fortescue View Post
Playing yolos with sub 1k people.... Right. There isn't a single Gold-tier Jug/Guard dps at the moment unless they're dpsing in tank spec.

There is a reason for that. Vengeance and Rage jug are worthless and have no place in solo ranked and in MLG TR. Even powertech is better than juggernaut right now.

Comments of you people just make me laugh. All top ranked solo jugs are skank dps. They only tend to focus with guarding in specific scenarios and healer games. Otherwise they're better off focusing on dpsing and not even guarding anyone. Sad reality is that Jug is only viable as a skank because they get massive survivability boost over other dps specs, have very good burst for hardswitches and aoe is also good but nowhere as powertech's.
While I agree that juggie dps needs some help, the guys I've seen running skanks thinking they're dps drive me insane. If you're going to play a tank spec learn to tank.

Alec_Fortescue's Avatar


Alec_Fortescue
02.03.2018 , 03:34 PM | #160
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
While I agree that juggie dps needs some help, the guys I've seen running skanks thinking they're dps drive me insane. If you're going to play a tank spec learn to tank.
They may drive you insane but this is the way to play. Not a single gold or even, I can bet, silver jug plays as pure dps.