I suck at Galactic Starfighter,,,,,,,,,,,

Ouardajason

Is there a exploit I a missing? I cant shake off my opponent? is there a aim bot that Im not aware of that ppl are using right now?

Do I need to induce my self to be a OCD gamer ?

I tried to play matches all day.. but its just getting to the point .. I was getting excited that I got to lay a hit on someone when they lagged out...

My Latency isnt a issue..

Maybe my piloting just sucks..

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best advice I can give is hold S (low throttle) when turning as this gives you more control, try to keep the aimer within the large target circle rather than pointing it far left or right ect this allows more stable control.

Remember Your not targeting the ship your aiming for the little scope in front of them. the are three different play styles to suit you, the scout is the hardest to master IMO as they are SUPER fast and hard to control.

The gunship which IMO is pretty boring as you find a nice quiet spot and camp there while to snipe people as they past.

The strike fighter IMO is the most fun, its allot more easy to control with allot more option in the mid to long range. So if your abit unsure like me you can hang back and pop off missiles at your foes :D

I can hit a damn thing an when guys by I lose them every time.

I can get kills by sniping with the gunship but honesty I love the little fast ship it's the most fun to fly so I practice a lot with that one, maybe in a month or so I will be killing people with that one

My first day with Starfighter was a brutal disappointment. My second day has been ... a little better.

There's a lot of people who seem really good because they've been play-testing it for weeks, and are familiar with, and used to, the control scheme, and when/why/how to pop various abilities granted by the crew members you choose, etc... In other words, it will take time to really get used to - and eventually you'll be able to improve you ship as well, and tailor it to how you play best.

That said, I do think a few tweaks would go a long way toward improving it for everyone. Maybe in a patch or two.

You're not alone, even when i have them in my target, i rarely see damage flying. I'll either keep trying until i get it or until i realise i can't do it.

Me too. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to aim at the cross-hair around their ship, or the little circle that leads them. Neither seems to really land the shots.

Also, it would help if the missiles would fire automatically when the lock is achieved, rather than requiring another click afterwards to fire. Seriously, our hands are full enough just steering the damn ship, right?

Edited by IAmFurious

The learning curve on the controls is really steep. Once you get it, they work well, but getting there will take a few days of playing. Remember there are BETA testers and people who were playing on the PTS that have a lead on you, but you'll catch up.

The strike fighter is probably the easiest to learn to fly. It's a bit slower and less maneuverable but it also takes more damage. Once you get the hang of that, try the other ships and see what you like best. My first weekend testing I hated the scout with a passion. Now it's what I fly most often. I just had to figure out the game before I could make the scout work.

"I suck at Galactic Starfighter,,,,,,,,,,,"

Me too, pal. Averaging about 1.75 kills per match and racking up the deaths pretty heavily. I tend to get a couple capture and defense medals and okay damage, but I'm still pretty terrible at it.

I guess we'll just have to wait until February when the full version comes out. Maybe they'll release a new ship that I'll actually be able to do something with. None of the current ones are doing it for me.

Me too. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to aim at the cross-hair around their ship, or the little circle that leads them. Neither seems to really land the shots.

Also, it would help if the missiles would fire automatically when the lock is achieved, rather than requiring another click afterwards to fire. Seriously, our hands are full enough just steering the damn ship, right?

You're definitely supposed to aim at the lead reticle but as you said, shooting there doesn't guarantee a hit. I don't know if there's some kind of calculated hit roll, but I have noticed that weapons with higher accuracy scores will hit more (kinda obvious), also that the chances of hitting increase as the angle of attack between you and the target decrease, that is the closer your target is to moving directly away or towards you.

so I guess the take home message would be to hold your fire until you can get a clear shot at your opponents 6 to maximize damage on an unaware target.

One of the problems is that, unlike PvE, the hit box for starfighters is the size of the ship and not the bubble around it, meaning you can aim for the bubble like you're supposed to and still miss. I personally can't hit crap on the little ones and am going to be sniping until I get the req for the Sting.

I think this aspect of the game, like the rest, will require some fine-tuning. The lead bubble rarely works, the hit boxes are all tiny and personally I'd like to be able to zoom out farther. To be fair, though, it's a purely optional aspect of the game and the only thing about it that bugs me is the fact players in GS won't be in the normal PvP queue so that will be affected.

And don't get me started on the addition of the new arena. I would rather use a porcupine as toilet paper than play those bloody Arenas.

Closed beta tester here.

The first 5 matches or so are going to be like that for almost anyone, it takes about 20 matches or so to really start getting a good feel for GSF.

Some tips.

1) Hit your evasive move when you see the huge red triangle on your HUD ~ (ability 3, the engine ability).

2) you cap a node by flying close to it while there are no enemy ships close to that node.

3) never assault a node with active turrets by yourself, unless you know exactly how to kill the turrets.

4) look for enemies tailing a teammate, and attack them.

5) hold down right mouse button until your missiles lock, then quickly release & click it again to fire one.

6) FLY A STRIKE................ they have the easiest learning curve.

I'm bad at it as well. I constantly crash into something, get chased around, or someone else gets the kill count (to which I "contributed".

And on top of it all, I have 0 MVP votes right now in GSF. Aber 15 matches.

I'm really bad.

I got a little bit better when I started to play a Gunship. Now I don't crash into things all of the time ... I sometimes even manage to kill some ships ... But I still get no MVP votes ...

Trust me, you will get better. I was one of the first Beta testers (early invite) for it, and I remember having a hell of a time learning the controls. On the closed test in the beginning, aiming was much harder, trying to fly the scout and strike fighter was a pain. Gunships were always fun, but needed some tweaking originally. Bombers were, if played correctly, "I win" buttons. Some of the damage numbers were insane that they put up. Back on topic....

You will get better, trust me, a guildie of mine on the Harbinger was putting up close to 30k damage per round after only 2 or 3 rounds of getting killed lots. I myself often play the gunship, and can put up upwards of 50k a match (my highest is 79k in one of the space matches) though my avg is about 30k per. Just remember, f1 is all power to guns, f2 is all to shields, f3 is all to engines, and f4 evenly distributes the power. Use your speed boost to try and get out of dogfights if you are losing, and USE LINE OF SIGHT. I have been attacked by many a scout in my gunship while I've been sniping (and even when not) and just a little los can stop that speedy scout from getting you (and may smash him into a wall). Good luck and fly safe, my friend.

Yes, it's excactly like this.

I'm so bad I never get kills, only supports.

I'm so bad that when I try to guard a Sattelite, I get shot, and the 2 enemy fighters take over the sattelites in seconds. Of course, I'm so bad no-one helps me defending that sattelite.

I'm so bad I get shot either by a turret or by another one who is behind me, atacking me meanwhile I attack the turret.

I'm so bad I never get more than 1 or 2 medals. My utmost maximum was 4, EVER.

I'm so bad I get shot as soon as I try to shoot someone else.

I'm so bad that I usually fly towards Sattelites which are quickly taken over by 2-4 enemies, meanwhile only I arrive there, alone. (I guess that this is becoming something like Voidstar ?)

I'm so bad that I don't manage to defend an own team's Sattelite alone. Meanwhile 2-4 others hunt me, and I get no help from my own team.

I'm so bad I never get kills, only supports.

This is me! :DDD

I admit, I've only done maybe 5 matches. I'm happy if I hit something during the whole match, and I usually end up with 0 kills and 2 assists or something. Most of my time goes to wondering where am I, which direction am I facing now, where are the satellites, where are my allies and where are the enemies.

Honestly, our team would probably be better off without me. :p Not really an encouraging thought.