[Suggestions]Kill screen, more detailed UI, and voice commands

Emilhandsome

Kill Screen

I think a kill screen that shows more detailed who did damage to you and what load out the player that got the kill on you has would help a lot of players, especially new players who may not understand why they died. At this moment all you get is the name of the player that killed you and what weapon landed the final blow. I propose something like the "Killed by" part in the Planetside 2 concept added below (ignore the personal stats window, doesn't really apply to gsf).

Kill screen concept

More detailed UI

I find it weird that we have way more detailed info on how much health our target has than how much health we have left in our own ships. I'd love to have this info on my screen, at least in % form. In fact, now when he get "healer" ships it would be great to see a small "hullbar" on the hud icons of friendly ships. I heard in the devstream that targeting friendly players isn't really a priority, so this would at least be something. Another thing would be a Attitude indicator to prevent disorientation.

Voice Commands

Something like what you have in tribes/planetside/battlefield/whatever. Press v to get a small menu up. Then you could choose what to say with the 1-9 keys or letters( R for repair, T to call out target as priority). Have things like "Incoming at A, need help", "Need repairs" (might even add a small repair icon on you for friendlies so they can find you easier), "X is primary target" (call out whoever is your target). Would help a tremendous amount when communicating without the need for out-of-game VOIP. Hell, you could even sell voicepacks for CC and make a profit from it.

Kill screen could be very interesting. Would give an indication of what ships/pilots/tactics you are weakest against.

No need for an artificial horizon in a starfighter as space doesn't have an up or down.

Voice commands just seem like more stuff for me to try not to forget to do whilst in the middle of not getting my ship turned into an exploding bloom of space-slag, though I can see how others may find them useful.

Artificial horizon proper compass are a must.

Because yaknow in space there is a N, S, E, and W, plus a definite up and down.

No please don't, one of the skill hurdles in GSF is recognizing that orientation is basically pure personal perspective. Adding something that causes new pilots to become further attached to up/down orientation would just hamper them further.

Artificial horizon proper compass are a must.

The artificial horizon idea doesn't make sense to me....but it would be nice to know when space 'ends'. Maybe it's just me, maybe it's just lag, maybe the TOR gods hate me, but I swear I always die from hitting the 'boundary wall' faster than other players do....If I'm chasing somebody who is running 'out of bounds' -- should they not always die first? ;)

A proper compass is also a must -- or at least make the minimap more easy/practical to use. When I turn right, I expect my 'icon' on the mini-map to also turn right -- not just if I'm oriented properly for it to work.

Because yaknow in space there is a N, S, E, and W, plus a definite up and down.

No please don't, one of the skill hurdles in GSF is recognizing that orientation is basically pure personal perspective. Adding something that causes new pilots to become further attached to up/down orientation would just hamper them further.

In the movies, pilots had sensors and could tell what their surroundings were relative to them. They didn't just have some random overview minimap that showed their location. If we're going to be given some silly minimap that is only ever oriented in one direction, that implies that there is a 'North', and if there is a 'North', we should always know where that is.

That, or change the way the minimap and/or sensors work.

It's not complaining because we're newbz and don't understand spatial orientation, it's complaining about something valid not being done right.

A proper compass is also a must -- or at least make the minimap more easy/practical to use. When I turn right, I expect my 'icon' on the mini-map to also turn right -- not just if I'm oriented properly for it to work.

Generally speaking you should not be using the minimap for anything other than seeing where teammates are or to call coordinate locations for heal drones. The reason the minimap doesn't work for navigation is that its a 2D representation of a 3D combat zone.

Generally speaking you should not be using the minimap for anything other than seeing where teammates are or to call coordinate locations for heal drones. The reason the minimap doesn't work for navigation is that its a 2D representation of a 3D combat zone.

.....I'm not sure you understand my argument, but at least we agree that the minimap 'doesn't work'

No please don't, one of the skill hurdles in GSF is recognizing that orientation is basically pure personal perspective.

Wasn't that a main point in the zero-G battles in Ender's Game?

By which I mean the book. Haven't seen the movie.

Wasn't that a main point in the zero-G battles in Ender's Game?

By which I mean the book. Haven't seen the movie.

Yes that was one of the big points, the movie completely glossed over it tho, and the camera angles where all kept a the same up/down orientation for the entire movie thus causing the point to be lost entirely.

Basically the question isn't what's my orientation, its how are they oriented to me? Also I really wish we had some 3D wireframe map like the ones from Jedi knight: Dark Forces. Particularly a map that was rotated to match our ships current orientation but zoomed way out.

Also I really wish we had some 3D wireframe map like the ones from Jedi knight: Dark Forces. Particularly a map that was rotated to match our ships current orientation but zoomed way out.

OMG you read my mind. That's exactly what I want the minimap to do.

When I played FF Canyon Oasis in JK I always had force-sight on with my rotating map....:cool:

I'm against voice commands unless there's a separate queue for voice-enabled players. Make it optional and you've got a large contingency of players at a disadvantage to those with voice setups; make it mandatory and I have to buy unrelated peripherals just to play.

I have no opinion either way on the other two items. -bp

No need for an artificial horizon in a starfighter as space doesn't have an up or down.

I wouldn't exactly call kuat mesas space. And I am fairly certain that even with modern technology it would be possible to create some kind of computer assisted gyro/compass that shows where "up/down" and other directions are in relation to a predetermined grid.

I'm against voice commands unless there's a separate queue for voice-enabled players. Make it optional and you've got a large contingency of players at a disadvantage to those with voice setups; make it mandatory and I have to buy unrelated peripherals just to play.

I'm not talking about VOIP, that is an entirely different technology that would have to be implemented into the game. I'm talking about some sort of hotkey-emotes to help with communication. Or maybe some kind of battlefield-esque spotting.

I wouldn't exactly call kuat mesas space. And I am fairly certain that even with modern technology it would be possible to create some kind of computer assisted gyro/compass that shows where "up/down" and other directions are in relation to a predetermined grid.

I'm not talking about VOIP, that is an entirely different technology that would have to be implemented into the game. I'm talking about some sort of hotkey-emotes to help with communication. Or maybe some kind of battlefield-esque spotting.

I'd still have to get a mic setup in order for the computer to understand the voice commands. Failure to do so would put me at a massive disadvantage that has nothing to do with a talent gap.

Don't get me wrong. It's a nice idea, and will probably be mainstream once all gaming devices and setups come with the ability to do voice commands. But we're not even CLOSE to that kind of permeation with voice. To do so now, or even in the immediate future, would create far too much non-talent-related disparity and there's just no sense in doing that, I believe. -bp

I'd still have to get a mic setup in order for the computer to understand the voice commands. Failure to do so would put me at a massive disadvantage that has nothing to do with a talent gap.

Don't get me wrong. It's a nice idea, and will probably be mainstream once all gaming devices and setups come with the ability to do voice commands. But we're not even CLOSE to that kind of permeation with voice. To do so now, or even in the immediate future, would create far too much non-talent-related disparity and there's just no sense in doing that, I believe. -bp

Okay, maybe calling it voice commands is was a mistake on my side, but it was late at night and I was tired and I feel that I explained it well enough anyway. I do not mean that you in any way would have to use your actual voice. I mean that you press a key to have a small menu appear with a predetermined array of call outs. Then you press the key for the call out you need and you character/co-pilot performs the appropriate voice call out so that you can communicate with your team members without having to type.

Okay, maybe calling it voice commands is was a mistake on my side, but it was late at night and I was tired and I feel that I explained it well enough anyway. I do not mean that you in any way would have to use your actual voice. I mean that you press a key to have a small menu appear with a predetermined array of call outs. Then you press the key for the call out you need and you character/co-pilot performs the appropriate voice call out so that you can communicate with your team members without having to type.

You can feel however you like, but in both the original post AND the reply I felt you were asking for that. Hell, that wouldn't even require new tech - vocalization is already present for emotes; creating what you want would be just a global emote - and since it would be available to everyone out of the box, I would have no concern. Thanks for the clarification. It was necessary. -bp

The mesas themselves make it obvious which way is up and down to be fair. Doesn't stop me ploughing into them, but at least I know which way I'm orientated when I do. :D