Macbook Air

Kassix

Hi guys, quick question..

Would the late 2010 (core 2 duo13") be able to run? Not concerned about the low graphics etc.. just wether or not it would be smooth?

I'm quite new to bootcamp also, my air has an SSD so OSX + win 7 + client would be a bit of a no go so could you boot windows and run the game via an external HD?

Also been offered an i5 MBA for £950 (brand new) from a workmate would it be a sound investment (assuming I'd still get a decent price for selling mine on) or should I just stick with the 2010 model?

Any advice is appreciated.. Cheers

Edited by Kassix

I'm quite new to bootcamp also, my air has an SSD so OSX + win 7 + client would be a bit of a no go so could you boot windows and run the game via an external HD?

Also been offered an i5 MBA for £950 (brand new) from a workmate would it be a sound investment (assuming I'd still get a decent price for selling mine on) or should I just stick with the 2010 model?

1. no you cannot boot and run windows from an external harddrive. so unless you have room on your local ssd to bootcamp, its a no go.

2. the MBA just isn't designed for gaming. its meant for on-the-go web and office work.

So even the i5 model has a mildly acceptable cpu but the graphics chip in thoseis not even close to usable for gaming.

honestly, for 950 pounds (about 1500 usd) you could build a WICKED gaming desktop pc and keep your current macbook air for its mobility and websurfing and all that fun mac stuff.

Thats what i did... sold my Macbook Pro to build a gaming desktop and bought an iPad. ;)

Cheers. :cool:

Yeah I have a gaming rig atm but I also use my MBA alot for when I travel etc so do some photo editing on there, I bought it because of the want for a 13" lightweight laptop that fits in my camera bag for travel and doing on the go CS5 general office stuff and surfing :)

My rig does however need a new cpu motherboard etc so may buy that with the returns off the mac and get an ipad instead =/ who knows

1. no you cannot boot and run windows from an external harddrive. so unless you have room on your local ssd to bootcamp, its a no go.

2. the MBA just isn't designed for gaming. its meant for on-the-go web and office work.

So even the i5 model has a mildly acceptable cpu but the graphics chip in thoseis not even close to usable for gaming.

honestly, for 950 pounds (about 1500 usd) you could build a WICKED gaming desktop pc and keep your current macbook air for its mobility and websurfing and all that fun mac stuff.

Thats what i did... sold my Macbook Pro to build a gaming desktop and bought an iPad. ;)

Cheers. :cool:

This.

I built a new Gaming PC (strictly for this, BF3 and WoW) for around $1500US back in October. The Air that I have is used for web surfing/email/etc.

Ultimately just get a PC for PC gaming. While mac's can technically play alot via bootcamp, it just isn't worth it over the long haul (you can't upgrade your iMac's video card for example).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Im running on Macbook air i7, 8gb ram, it runs on high graphics settings with shadows off.

However twice now after half an hour of play the macbook has restarted during play, the fans are on full blast and the air feels very hot I'm assuming it restarts to protect itself from overheating.

Is anyone running on a macbook air and playing without any restarts from over heating? Would turning the graphics settings down help?