Tanking Advice? Please?

TheSupaCoopa

Duran'del here,

So... I'm too lazy to get my own account, so pretty much every post TheSupaCoopa makes is mine, not vPLethality's. VPL can tank, and he does it well. Very well. The problem is, he doesn't tell me :mad: so I've tried learning on my own. Hasn't worked out so well. This is the average conversation my group has if i que up for a 55 HM FP:

(Group wipes)

GroupMate 1: Who started the boss fight when Duran had no idea what he was doing?

Me: (Says nothing, even though it was me)

GM 1: I guess we'll try again.

(Wipes again.)

GM 2: What the [insert four-letter curse word of your choice here] Duran?

Me: [Ashamed] Sorry.

GM 1: *** are you doing HMs for if you can't do one?!

Me: Elite comms.

GM 3: If you're doing a HM, get better gear.

ME: I'm in full Basic, minus gloves.

GM 1: Let's just try and do this again...

(Surprise! Another Wipe! :eek:)

All Group Mates: Dude, you suck at tanking! Why do you even play this game?! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Me: [Raises hands in surrender] I'm sorry. I'll quit the group and you guys can que up for a better tank. [quits group.]

So, um, yeah. I need advice on PT tanking. Badly.

Duran'del, Level 55 N00B

On boss fights, biggest thing is know the fight. All you need to do for threat is act like a DPS. Do as much damage as you can and taunt fluff if needed for more threat.

Knowing the fights will help you know when to not stand in bad ****, or where to move the boss.

So, your jobs:

Hold threat.

Move the boss when it needs to be done.

Don't die to avoidable damage.

Most everything else is on the DPS and healers. Your gear is plenty fine for all flashpoints, even czerka ones, assuming that you don't have alacrity or accuracy. Being augmented (even blue augs) would be a bonus as well.

On boss fights, biggest thing is know the fight. All you need to do for threat is act like a DPS. Do as much damage as you can and taunt fluff if needed for more threat.

Knowing the fights will help you know when to not stand in bad ****, or where to move the boss.

So, your jobs:

Hold threat.

Move the boss when it needs to be done.

Don't die to avoidable damage.

Most everything else is on the DPS and healers. Your gear is plenty fine for all flashpoints, even czerka ones, assuming that you don't have alacrity or accuracy. Being augmented (even blue augs) would be a bonus as well.

Should have been more specific. I'm looking for advice on rotations and on which scenarios to use my DCs. The FP example was one of the first times I realized I needed help with my Tanking skills. I don't have any augs because I have Biochem as my Crafting Skill(Sure, I've asked vPl if he could make me some, but he doesn't want to). Also, what should I have more of, Defense, Shield, or absorb?

You should really start out with some of the guides on this forum for a good basic understanding, then ask when you run into questions on specifics or bosses. Guide

Some basics that may help... Taunts give you more threat than whatever the mob was attacking last. So, be sure a mob was taking damage from someone before taunting it. That way you get a percentage of something, otherwise the trash mob will go after you for 6 seconds, then may run away to someone more interesting. So, never start a fight with a taunt.

For flashpoints, if you have to, yell at people to hold up for your AOE taunt to cool down before the next group. Jump in there, do some damage for a bit, carbonite them, and then AOE taunt. Practice that and you'll look like a pro in most FPs.

As far as gear goes, make sure the only stats your gear has is Defense, Shield, Absorb, Endurance, Aim. You don't want any alacrity or accuracy (even though some of the vendor gear comes with it). For PTs, in general you want to be heavy on defense until around 800, then even out with absorb. At some point you may have the option between gear that has more secondary stats (absorb/defense) and less endurance, I take those. Endurance helps, but getting hit for less is more important most of the time.

Should have been more specific. I'm looking for advice on rotations and on which scenarios to use my DCs. The FP example was one of the first times I realized I needed help with my Tanking skills. I don't have any augs because I have Biochem as my Crafting Skill(Sure, I've asked vPl if he could make me some, but he doesn't want to). Also, what should I have more of, Defense, Shield, or absorb?

There's several guides out there, some better than others. Im not going to write one here. I believe another poster listed one, check it out.

As another poster said, go watch video guides on the FPs and ops too when you get to them. The one thing a tank absolutely has to have is knowledge of the fights. Also you should be able to sorta see when the tank takes damage, depending on the video's POV. This will help you in using cool downs. But basically there: use oil slick when its up and something is hitting you. Use shield when you are taking some damage but still high, or for predictable heavy damage. Use kolto overload when you get low. Use shoulder cannon when its up and you are at non full health.

Also, stop relying on your friend so much. Go buy or get crafted your own augments. He doesn't have to do everything for you, and will get pissed if you don't do some of the work yourself.

• 3 weeks later...
There's several guides out there, some better than others. Im not going to write one here. I believe another poster listed one, check it out.

There used to be guides out there, very hard to find them now. Perhaps you could link some?

The other one people keep linking (the sticky thread) is out of date and doesn't even have a full spec posted (only 38 points spent).

To start with speccing here is the one I use currently 36/7/3.

The last point is arguable, one can take one point out of Puncture or Integrated Cardio Package and take Prototype Cylinders instead.

If you have melees in your group put your guard on them otherwise take the best equiped DD. Most likely the DD with the highest HP is the best equiped, this is not always true but generally without looking at the equip you will be safe with this assumption.

When you are gearing up forget about defense, take shield+absorb (at least until you reach around 42% shield and 40% absorb). Take defence only if you can't avoid it like in implants and earpieces. While this is a philosophical question I'm running good with this advice. Other people might say that math tells you the other way around I feel a difference between theory and practice. While in theory defence looks good in practice shield+absorb is better for agro and heat management and increases your overall survivability.

Put up your Shoulder Cannon before starting a fight. Start the fight with JetCharge do two Flame Sweeps because they are free. If the boss or the mob packs can't jump to you you can also use Death from Above to start the fight and jump then. Use rocket punch, Rail Shot and Flame Burst, if Flame Thrower proccs use it, use Rocket Punch and Rail Shot whenever it's possible.

For boss fights where you have to worry about agro use the basic spot rotation at the start, single taunt when it runs out use AE taunt and when the AE runs out your single taunt will be ready again for use. This are at least 18 secs of guaranteed agro which should be enough time to push your own agro. From this point throw in a single taunt here and then to maintain your agro. For boss fights where a tank swap is needed or where you lose agro because of a mechanic make sure to have a (single) taunt ready.

Make sure to know the boss mechanics, if you do the FP or OPS for the first time read some guides (dulfy)