Force RP names on RP servers

Kemosobe

Don't know if this conversation has already happened, but I just ran into an Obi-wan (different spelling) and a Samus Aran (yes, Aran was her legacy name) and am wondering if Bioware is ever going to force people to not use already known Star Wars names or big names from other huge forms of media (also say a Thrall) on RP servers.

EDIT: And just after posting this, got invited to a party that had a person with the name NOMNOMNOM. Not even kdding.

Edited by Kemosobe

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For your convenience:

Naming Policy

• When creating a character or guild name for Star Wars: The Old Republic, it is encouraged that you select a name that reflects the theme of the game. The guidelines listed below outline the types of names that you can NOT use, and apply to both player or character names, as well as guild names.

• You may not use any names that violate the General Rules. This includes the use of names that are hateful, defamatory, racist, ethnically offensive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, or any other language that is offensive in nature.

• You may not use names that are harassing or defamatory to other players or employees of EA, BioWare or LucasArts, e.g. EASUX, Timsretarded, and Biowaresux.

• You may not use names of any EA, BioWare, or LucasArts employee or service related to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

• You may not use names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials or products, e.g. Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper.

• You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.

• You may not use names that are religiously or historically significant, e.g. Jesus, Winston Churchill.

• You may not use proper names of areas within Star Wars for character names. Guild names, however, MAY use the proper names of specific areas to help promote role-playing and realm pride, e.g. Defenders of Tython or Protectors of Hutta.

• You may not use proper names of non-player characters within Star Wars: The Old Republic, e.g. Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, Yoda, Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker.

• You may not use names containing titles or ranks within them, e.g. General Supertrooper, Captain Tim, Darth Timmy, Knight Wakey.

• You may not use names that refer to drugs or that are drug related.

• You may not use names that contain an inappropriate phrase, sentence or any fragment of a sentence or Leet speak, e.g. uberhaxer, xxspeederxx, lolface, rofl, Noobwhacker, TimmyF**k, kock, fuk.

• You may not use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules, e.g. Hamsolo, Yooda, DorthVader.

• You may not use gibberish names when creating character, e.g. ajsdu, rifndsw, qweszs.

If you violate any part of the above Naming Policy you will either be assigned a new name, or given the option of changing the name. In addition to this, your account could incur a penalty up to and including account closure.

Edited by Hrisskar

While Bioware has said that they will not have separate naming regulations for RP servers, I have found that BWs terms of service does have a naming policy that would affect all servers.

Because it is in their own policies, I assume they would enforce any name that falls against their guidelines listed here. You would just have to report it.

I think people are misinformed when they tell you that "there is no enforcement for names on RP servers" there is - it is just no different than any other server, RPers are just more likely to create a ticket about it - and thus get the names removed.

You may not use names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials or products, e.g. Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper.

The joke is on them. There is no period in "Dr Pepper".

Sorry, just a little tidbit of useless information that I enjoy. So to be more constructive in my posting:

I think as long as we take it upon ourselves to talk to these players about their names, we can try and reason with them to change it.

When all else fails, we can see about writing a ticket but I don't know what will happen from there.

I agree with the above.

People just make sure you're reporting these names. Nothing can be done unless they are reported. It looks to me like Bioware doesn't act on reports right away but instead does a mass change thing after a while where they take a group of reports and deal with them.

Not saying they're change them all either. I just think it's too early to tell how close Bioware will stick to their policies. Also, remember some of the ******s making these stupid names won't be around after their freetime so that will clear some of these names out.

Again, the bottom line is report them when you see them.

I will now just simply report each and every person I see that violates these rules.

Talk to the offender first before throwing in that ticket. Communication is essential for understanding. Let them know that they are in violation of the naming policy and if they're a low enough level, convince them to reroll if they can. Or if they're too high of a level and the name slipped under a radar, have them file a ticket with you so that the player can get a quick name swap to something more appropriate.

Well those rules say no use of lore names in player names, but alright in guild names. So report them.

We have missed the boat as to having proper IC player names, you guys who were here before us late comers turned up should have petitioned harder. :)

Some of us find it a VERY Big problem!

If it was only about the names, the ignore feature would solve the problem (tho would be nice if when you ignored a person you could NEVER SEE THEM as well cause Darth Hugsandkisses just is immersion breaking to me to even see.

The problem however is the type of player that would roll such a name isnt wanted on the RP servers and if they could not make a stupid name to be an arse, they wouldnt roll there as their entire reason for being would have been removed.

Fact is a large number of kids have rolled on the RP servers BECAUSE they can make stupid non RP names and get under the skin of others by doing so.

IT IS A FORM OF HARRASSMENT and should be not tolerated.

And im not talking from a die hard hard core naming rule

I have no problem with names like

Ravenstorm (person was attacked openly on hutta one night for her name because wasnt rp enough for some people. Long as the name not pop cultureor cannon I dont have a problem with names.)

Im talking the names like

Captain Captain Captain

Darth Marshmellow

Lord Shenanigans

Darth Touchme

Lord Vadar (what happened to no cannon names? Yeah the 2nd A replaces the E, its still clearly obvious what person going for)

Lord Darth'Revan

Obi-one

Lukeskywalker

Lukethskywalker

Cambellsoup (im not joking, I wish I was)

and so many many many more (these are ALL real names ive seen on 2 different RP servers btw)

If all else fails, every one of these people could have hit the random button but instead they rolled and PICKED these names because they know it pisses people off.

In case of Lukethskywalker, He was actually on Hutta as a different character and a group of them came up with that name over chat with specific intention of pissing people off, and he made it and they all had a great laugh. Because THOSE TYPES are so what RP and normal RP Server players want on their server (that was sarcasm)

Personally Ive stopped stressing over it and just add any stupid name to ignore soon as I see it. They dont even have to say a word.

From Star Wars lore (even misspelt version) ... IGNORE

STUPID .... IGNORE

Swearing on general chat...IGNORE

Talking about inappropriate topics.....IGNORE

Insulting Role Players for playing on a so called ROLE PLAY SERVER....Ignore

I have on one server, over 70 names on ignore now (combined over 4 characters).

Thats more names on one TOR RP server on ignore then EVERY MMORPG IVE PLAYED BEFORE (over last 21 years) combined.

Great job Bioware :rolleyes:

Maybe next you can remove all PVP from the PVP servers? Same exact meaning as not enforcing names on a RP Server.

Your lack of dedication and proffessionalism is in effect eliminating a optional play style from the player base in favor of childish, immature, obnoxious, rude, idiotic behavior!

One would think you might wanna be on the other side of that topic but what ever, its a WOW generation now and we all just get to suffer in it.

Edited by Kalfear

While Bioware has said that they will not have separate naming regulations for RP servers, I have found that BWs terms of service does have a naming policy that would affect all servers.

Because it is in their own policies, I assume they would enforce any name that falls against their guidelines listed here. You would just have to report it.

I think people are misinformed when they tell you that "there is no enforcement for names on RP servers" there is - it is just no different than any other server, RPers are just more likely to create a ticket about it - and thus get the names removed.

actually they wont remove the names

I ticketed

Marshmellow

Vadar

Lukeskywalker

Obi-One (who wants to bet his legacy will be "Kenobi")

Hugsandkisses

On the first day I was in game (I didnt know Bioware wasnt enforcing names on RP servers, just assumed they were as its the smart bussiness choice to (Silly me, since EA took over and the ME2 fall out, I should know smart bussiness and Bioware dont go togather any more).

For every one of those names I got a reply of (not direct quote but my version CAPTURES the true meaning and intention of reply)

"Thank you (blah blah blah , form message that no one beleives or reads anymore)

The following name has been deemed NOT OFFENSIVE and there for is not against our naming policy. If you have any questions on what our policy is, got *web address* and read about how we are ignoreing your player base and giving you the virtual bird"

So yeah, while their policy might cover this stuff in really weak terms, they have no intention what so ever of creating or allowing a RP community with in game and really are going out of their way to discourage it outright!

There are things to be done for RPers on there server. Its currently what my guild and I do:

Report is the number one function to be used. You don't need to contact them and cause yourself stress or them stress by chancing an argument. If they are in violation a GM will make them change there name anyway upon the report.

DO NOT group with these people. Shun them. Keep them from advancing through content, eventually they will join a guild that accepts there name or will move to another server/reroll/ask for there own name change.

If I am out and about and see a Republic player, as I am Empire, and see someone with a name like this I destroy them. I then proceed to explain to them why I killed them.

We can only hope that once the free month is up a majority of these people will move on back to the game they came from.

Lets keep in mind that Bioware isn't focusing on the naming policy right now. They have bigger things they NEED to be doing. Fixing the FPS problem, the class quest issues preventing people from doing all the Hard Mode Flashpoints/Dailies on Illum.

In my opinion Bioware is dropping the ball, but not because of failed naming policy, though it does get under my skin, its because of these other glaring mistakes that made it into beta.

So lets give them some time to sort it out. They know how we feel about it, we continue to report violations and hope that once things clam down on Biowares end they start enforcing these other issues.

Edited by Vunak

I ticketed

Marshmellow

Vadar

Lukeskywalker

Hugsandkisses

On the first day I was in game (I didnt know Bioware wasnt enforcing names on RP servers, just assumed they were as its the smart bussiness choice to (Silly me, since EA took over and the ME2 fall out, I should know smart bussiness and Bioware dont go togather any more).

For every one of those names I got a reply of (not direct quote but my version CAPTURES the true meaning and intention of reply)

"Thank you (blah blah blah , form message that no one beleives or reads anymore)

The following name has been deemed NOT OFFENSIVE and there for is not against our naming policy. If you have any questions on what our policy is, got *web address* and read about how we are ignoreing your player base and giving you the virtual bird"

So yeah, while their policy might cover this stuff in really weak terms, they have no intention what so ever of creating or allowing a RP community with in game and really are going out of their way to discourage it outright!

You really got that response? I get a message indicating they're closing the ticket for a mass change, which indicates they get so many tickets at a time for names then close the tickets and deal with them however they decide. If I could log in right now I'd copy one of the responses I've gotten.

In other MMOs I've played the only way to tell if someone's name had been changed was from the whine in chat or the forums or from friending the player and see their name has been changed. CS usually doesn't say whether they change a name or not.

Lets see I've run into Boba. Someone with the Fett legacy name. Revan. Starkiller. Tyrannous. Sidious. Multiple spellings of the name Anakin. Very silly and poor show in my opinion that people have to relate to existing character or pretend they are related to them somehow instead of create a new character.

I ticketed

Marshmellow

Vadar

Lukeskywalker

Hugsandkisses

How is Marshmellow against the naming code? or Canopener or anything like that

There are things to be done for RPers on there server. Its currently what my guild and I do:

Report is the number one function to be used. You don't need to contact them and cause yourself stress or them stress by chancing an argument. If they are in violation a GM will make them change there name anyway upon the report.

DO NOT group with these people. Shun them. Keep them from advancing through content, eventually they will join a guild that accepts there name or will move to another server/reroll/ask for there own name change.

If I am out and about and see a Republic player, as I am Empire, and see someone with a name like this I destroy them. I then proceed to explain to them why I killed them.

Call me crazy, but this sort of behavior would seem to make RPers look like a bunch of jerks no better than the PVPers that they so frequently malign.

I think a better course of action is to treat all the players on your server with respect. RP openly and show people why it is fun. If someone without an RP name shows interest in RPing, engage them in RP immediately and leave all the judgmental crap behind.

Make RPing more fun for everyone.

If, as has been suggested, people make non-RP names either because they want to troll or are just ignorant, then the best thing to do is to not let it bother you. Those who make a silly name out of ignorance should not be penalized, especially as many of them are not against the rules. By not getting all uppity when a troll runs by you deny him the satisfaction he expected from his name and after a point he will move on to someone else's RP server where they will act as better victims.

I don't really get how silly names ruin immersion when we are already looking at something that requires extreme suspension of disbelief. The level system is more immersion-breaking than names.

When it comes down to it, the only immersion that is being broken is the insistence by RPers of maintaining the illusion that RP servers are where everyone should play the game the way you want them to.

Edited by Darth_Slaine

You really got that response? I get a message indicating they're closing the ticket for a mass change, which indicates they get so many tickets at a time for names then close the tickets and deal with them however they decide. If I could log in right now I'd copy one of the responses I've gotten.

In other MMOs I've played the only way to tell if someone's name had been changed was from the whine in chat or the forums or from friending the player and see their name has been changed. CS usually doesn't say whether they change a name or not.

Really did get that responce Zavia

I stopped reporting names after that and just started putting people on ignore when they have a stupid name!

Oh I got the closeing ticket responces to along with a ton of "we are escalating this up and blah blah blah" which amounts to closing ticket!

never seen mass change comment

As for names, I saw 4 of the names I listed last night and today (Im leveling 4 imp characters at once so people do pull ahead of me, so I might not see other names till I hit next world again).

Honestly, Ive given up on Bioware

I love TOR and will play it for months till Im done but Bioware has been PR mistake after mistake after mistake since ME2 release and I just wipe my hands of the company now! They got to many free chances already.

If its not TOR related, I wont be purchasing it, if made by Bioware.

To many solid independant companies that actually dowhat they say andsay what they mean to put up with this nonsense.

I been around since the start of MMORPG and since the creation of RP servers (they were not around at first), only SWG stands out as doing the RP Prefered method but with no support. But that was prior to WOW so the MMORPG community as a whole respected each other in this regard. Oh they fought and called names but very few went out of their way to ruin someone elses play style like we see happening minutely in TOR.

WOW opened the flood gates to non traditional player bases and Bioware needs to step up and take control because this is no longer a genre where the players can and will police themselves. These people dont respect each other and DO go out of their way to ruin others enjoyments.

And if you disagree

Then explain how the name Force_Joke is anything but a trolling session on a RP server?

I few posts above someone suggested not to group with these people and I agree. But I dont think it will matter much because there is more of them who want to trivialize and ruin others enjoyment then there is thosethat want to productively contribute to their servers community and play style. And those people will group togather and not be effected one bit by us not grouping them.

But until /ignore removes them completely from your conversations and visual perception, they will go on ruining the servers by just being allowed on them with those names.

As for RP, they dont even understand what it is!

Other day I was playing my sith inquiz and I would refer to others on Korriban as slaves (liek they do in storylines).

On logs some horrid name whose completely out of character talking about picnics and lord knows what on chat

So I made a harmless comment about how nice it was to see one of my slaves in such high spirits and maybe I was being to soft on them

Well 10 minutes later I put person on ignore because she WOULD NOT SHUT UP about how refering to people as slaves is politically incorrect and racist and against TOS and blah blah blah.

She must have been told 5-7 times this was a role play server and Imps (and Sith) keep slaves but nope, to her it was real world interaction and we were there to talk about her cooking and day and what not like The Sims in a Star Wars shell.

Nope, only people that can fix this issue is Bioware.

They created it by not having standard accepted RP Server rule sets

So now they can fix the issue, despite the backlash they will get from allt he non RPers that rolle on the server!

To be honest, If Bioware opened a new server and GUARENTEED US nameing regulation and general chat moderation during the 5pm - 1 am time frame, Id totally reroll there, no questions asked.

but at this point we would have to be GUARENTEED IN WRITING because I just cant take Bioware at their word on anything anymore.

At most, RP servers are a place where that playstyle is encouraged but not required. I see no reason to change this. And I certainly don't see much reason to want to force people to conform to arbitrary standards of what is acceptable and what isn't for any given RP server.

Be openminded and it might surprise you. For instance, one of the names listed in this thread belong to a player who I've PvP'd with and who proved to be a great asset and team player. Bottom line is that the best thing to do is to simply conduct yourself well. If some people want to act in a manner you deem "silly", what skin is that off your back?

Besides: wasting time domineering over other players? Well, I'd say that's the sillier behavior.