Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Empire/Republic ships in TOR are wrong

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
The Empire/Republic ships in TOR are wrong

Seigon
04.11.2012 , 11:48 PM | #31
after reading Darth Plagueis the similarity in ship designs seems less confusing at least to me

Roonan
04.12.2012 , 12:14 AM | #32
well in my opinio the ships from this era are ok the sith have always had something fot triangles according to the books (old ones) the sith holochrons are small piramids...
That the republic later uses stardestroyers well in reality palpatine was behind the clone wars i assume he made the order for the ships and palpatine was a sith so thats why republic uses triangular ships, hope this helps you get unbothered

Telmor
04.12.2012 , 12:37 AM | #33
The Return of the Jedi era ships of the Rebellion are actually retro fitted ships that they were able to get into working order. Thus why they could not take an Imperial Starship even of the same relative size and caliber.

The Clone Wars era Galactic Republic ships are based on Sith/Empire designs of The Old Republic era. Thus why they look as they do.

The question as to why seems silly to me.

Darth Plagueis tricked Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas into putting in the order for the clone army. Darth Plagueis then funded the entire endeavor using his own money and that of the banking clan.

It only stands to right that Darth Plagueis would of ordered the ships to be made to Sith designs. The Kaminoans probably wouldn't of known the difference. All the Kaminoans knew was that they were on a job, they were getting paid, and the one doing the paying was telling them what to do.

So, to put you at rest, the ships of The Old Republic era do look a lot like the ships of the Grand Army of the Republic. Why? Because they were commissioned by a Sith, through a Jedi.

Edit: Star Wars is normally, not always, careful with how lore flows. Sometimes you have to connect the dots yourself, just as with real history.

FigeroMentel
04.12.2012 , 04:50 AM | #34
The design of the ship says something about its purpose;

The Republic has inelegent ships with blasters strapped to turrets all around. They cover their blind spots, are capable of running away easily and can very easily slip into defensive positions.

An Imperial Crusier on the other hand is designed for a forward attack - Always pressing forward and delivering the maximum payload in one direction. Whether alone or in a fleet, they deliver overwhelming firepower on their target and continue to press their advantage until there is no enemy left.

Adderdin
04.12.2012 , 05:31 AM | #35
Guys... this thread is pointless.

This game, as that other one, are the Artistic Vision that Bioware had.

We are in no place to discuss their Artistic Vision, they will not change anything, they might however add a lore entry explaining the thought process behind their choices. But not sooner than in July.
demotivators.despair.com/customerdisservicedemotivator.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vordy
Well great, then they dont have to fix this because you are leaving anyways....

Kaisernick
04.12.2012 , 06:28 AM | #36
since star destroyers in TGCW are made by kuyat drive yards its possible that during the clone wars (or maybe even before) that they copied the design of the sith.

the jedi of this era may have no idea that they mirror the sith ones used after all there has been war in the galaxy severl times over and things get lost in history.

Fyurii
04.13.2012 , 09:35 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Adderdin View Post
Guys... this thread is pointless.

This game, as that other one, are the Artistic Vision that Bioware had.

We are in no place to discuss their Artistic Vision, they will not change anything, they might however add a lore entry explaining the thought process behind their choices. But not sooner than in July.
There's a difference between "the other game's" Artisitic Integrity issue, and Artistic Vision of this game.
Even in KoTOR they made the "world" look more reminiscient of the movies.
Just look at the Ebon Hawk and the Sith Empire's vessels and fighters.

This time, they've made it look more like the movies in the case of Galactic Republic vs Galactic Empire, but with more than Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader on the Empire's side.

They had to do this with both games, because the general look of technology and weapons/armour before KoTOR were extremely "alien" because of the setting of thousands of years before the films.
Which was good for the comics, but bad for selling a game to as wide an audience as possible.
For an MMO, the "up-to-date" art vision had to be much closer to what people know from the the movies because the audience is much, much larger for it.

Personally I would have preferred if both games had an older and more primitive (relatively speaking) look to technology, but I'm honestly not going to cry/whine/rage about it.
________║≤o≥║___________
/_______TROOPER___≡≡≡≡≡≡≡╡
\_/‾‾‾‾ // ╝‾‾╚▄▄▄▄▄/‾‾‾‾‾

ErikModi
04.13.2012 , 10:29 AM | #38
In the RotJ novel, there's a brief overview of Paplpatine's rise to power. At one point, they say that he "called on the glory of empires past" to increase public support for his First Galactic Empire. He could very easily have called on the old Sith Empire, demonstrating their impressive power and strength. After about three thousand years, it's pretty easy to glorify a civilization no matter how rotten it may have actually been at the time (just look at our Western fascination with the Ancient Greeks and Romans.)

Or, it could be a lot simpler. Perhaps wedge-shaped ships are an efficient design for a certain type of warship, and Kuat Drive Yards used that design because it was efficient, not because it had anything at all to do the ancient Sith.

Likewise, it's stated that the Republic gets most of their ships from Corellia, which is where some Rebel ships came from. Corellians probably have their own design aesthetic, which doesn't change a whole lot over the millenia, because if you change it too much, suddenly it's not a "Corellian" ship anymore.
Jedi vs. Sith, Page 97, column 2, paragraph 4, line 1:

Prior to the Battle of Ruusan, the Jedi used crystals from many different sources, and ignited lightsabers in every known hue, including purple, orange, and gold.

LemmingLeader
04.13.2012 , 12:51 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Nireves View Post
Star Wars: The Old Republic takes place way before the Clone Wars or the Galactic Civil War.

In TOR, the Sith Empire has triangular shaped battleships in space missions and the Republic (the actual Galactic Reapublic) has Correlian class ships and ships that looks like the Rebel fleet in the Galactic Civil War.

Thousands of years later, the clone army of the Republic (same republic presumably, so the Sith Empire loses the war) uses triangular shaped ships.

Then the Emperor dissolves the senate and turns the Galactic Republic into the Galactic Empire, this empire is not the Sith Empire from TOR but it is run by Sith.

Then in the galactic civil war, the Empire uses the same triangular shaped ships that the Sith Empire did way back when and that the clones used while the Rebels use the ships that the Republic uses in TOR.

Shouldn't the Republic in TOR use the triangular shaped ships? Aren't these the battleships of the Republic in the Clone Wars and in the Galactic Civil War? Is Bioware using the lame Rebel ships just because people use the 'Republic' and 'Rebels' interchangeably?

Does Bioware realize that you can't pull the ships used by the Empire and Rebels in the Galactic Civil War straight back and use them like that because the Empire used to be the Republic?
Personally, I wish BioWare wasn't so heavy handed with ALL of their starcraft designs having to so blatantly copy a movie design. Regurgitations of the Star Destroyer, TIE Fighter, Corellian Corvette, Nebulon-B Frigate are examples of rehashed designs.

Oh look, this is supposed to be a gigantic B-Wing.
Oh look, this is supposed to be a TIE Fighter on sterroids.
Wow, you mean to tell me a Smuggler uses a Corellian Transport design? I never knew! Why, it sounds soooo familiar!
Look at that Sith warship. It reminds me of something...
Look at the Jedi personal ship. Why, it's obviously clear the Corellian Corvette design existed 3000 years before the days of the Clone Wars / Galactic Empire.
And the Imperial Agent's ship? Silver? Sleek? Why, please don't tell me it's a mimic of the Royal Naboo transport? Where is Padme? Will she service me aboard my ship?

On and on. No imagination.

Edit to add: Even the uniforms of the Sith are wrong. If you pay attention to the prequels and original trilogy, the uniforms shown by Republic government / military personnel that weren't clones clearly was the basis of the Imperial uniforms. So it made sense that the classic Galactic Empire's uniforms were an evolution of the Republic's... because the Empire was the Republic transformed.

Not saying the Republic in SWTOR should have the classic Imperial style uniforms, but both Sith and Republic could have been alot more different. Again, the attempts at making the Sith Empire BE the Galactic Empire is very heavy handed in SWTOR that it's laughable.

JAson_ST
04.22.2012 , 08:06 AM | #40
Star Wars is space opera and one of the main stays of space opera is the over all stagnation of style and tech over very long periods of time.