Getting back into GSF again ...

Hello,

I was playing GSF when it was new, but dropped out of it just around the time when the bombers came in ...

Now I do wonder : How will I fare if I get back into GSF again ß I will utterly be destroyed, that's for sure, at least for the first few matches - but how long will this maintain ? How much time will I need to invest to become halfway good again ?

Another thing that I fear is the much increased complexity by the introdiuction of the bombers. I still remember the times when GSF was fast and simple, only 3 ship roles existed, and that was fun to me.

But now ? I played a few matches just when the bombers came out, and it didn't feel good to be "bombed" by mines and what not.

But on the other hand someone I never knew about kind of "ninja-healed" me with drones (?) for which I'm still grateful.

That said, I kind of wish the old, more simple days back. ;)

But back to the main question : What will I need to be careful of when I'm getting back into GSF again ?

Alrik

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

If you flew a scout take great care in engaging minelayers (drones hurt too, but mines will wipe you fast)

Try to engage a bomber when its en route to its destination (out in the open) once they are set up with mines they are exceedingly hard for a scout to dislodge.

Strike fighters and bombers outfitted with charged plating however can wade through a minefield and absorb much of the damage without dying. Gunships can also engage minefields and bombers at range.

Bombers have changed the meta a lot, and matches with lots of them can be precarious especially if there is a coordinated team behind those bombers. My advice is as always to group up, a varied team who knows how to use their respective class can nullify any advantage bomber stacking provides.

At any rate welcome back to GSF, some things have changed, and more still will be changed in the near future. The good thing is gunships and bombers both have been significantly toned down, gone are the days of insta kill shield piercing damage and ion tap drains. Scouts haves some issues atm but those are being addressed in a patch sometime soon. Its a good time to come back especially since atm you earn double ship req!

Thank you !

How about Gunships themselves ? I liked them because I *always* prefer ranged combat, regardless of game. :D

One has to work more tactically in order to get a Gunship into success - but once they are hunt down, they die so fast in close combat - similar to Gunslingfers, imho, for example.

So, how is the situation for them now ?

If you're looking for something fun and different to fly, I'd recommend one of the following:

Type 3 Strike (Clarion or Imperium). This ship can be built to be very defensively strong, even against Bombers, and it can heal others with Repair Probes. Its offense is a little on the weak side, but its defense and team support more than makes up for it. The Republic version, the Clarion, is about as close to an X-wing in appearance as you can get, especially if you use Quad laser Cannons.

Type 3 Gunship (Condor or Jurgoran). This ship can be built in a wide variety of ways. There are even viable builds that don't include a railgun. It's also the only ship with the Interdiction Missile, which is a very good weapon, especially when combined with Burst Laser Cannons. The Imperial version, the Jurgoran, is also very cool looking.

Type 3 Bomber (Sledgehammer or Decimus). This ship is very similar to a Strike, except that instead of being able to carry two lasers or two missiles, you get a mine or drone. You also get a ton of hit points. Unlike the other Bombers, this one can get a missile break (Power Dive) and Thrusters. You can get the turning speed quite high, enabling you to dogfight pretty well, especially if supplemented by your drone or mine. You can build for either mid-range combat (HLC's and Concussion Missiles) or short-range combat (LLC's and Cluster Missiles), or try to straddle the various ranges. The Republic version, the Sledgehammer has a really neat, asymmetrical build and is reminiscent of a B-wing.

Thank you !

How about Gunships themselves ? I liked them because I *always* prefer ranged combat, regardless of game. :D

One has to work more tactically in order to get a Gunship into success - but once they are hunt down, they die so fast in close combat - similar to Gunslingfers, imho, for example.

Type 1 and Type 2 Gunships still have a hard time against people who get close. But the new Type 3, which just came out last week, is far more adept at close-range fighting than its brothers. It can have Cluster Missiles, the new short-range Interdiction Missile, Turning Thrusters, and Power Dive or Retro Thrusters. And it has BLC's, which are still the best short range weapon in the game.

Thank you !

Nothing much changed for them. Little tweaks here and there, but technically, nothing significant happened since you left... Only the new Gunship is really worth mentioning. (See post above)

Edited by Altheran

Nothing much changed for them. Little tweaks here and there, but technically, nothing significant happened since you left... Only the new Gunship is really worth mentioning. (See post above)

If by no changes you mean they took an enormous effective nerf to mobility with 2.7, then sure, the T3 is the only thing worth mentioning.

I mean, I still adore my Mangler, but let's not pretend nothing has changed from early GSF for gunships.

Well, the most dangerous ships around are generally still the ones that were the most dangerous back when you played. That means, if you see Flashfire (or Sting) with that huge Burst Laser Canon, that's what will probably kill you in close range, and if you see a nebula of yellow-ish or blue-ish glow far away, that's still the same Quarrel/Mangler that will likely kill you in long range.

The biggest gameplay change for myself was the engine component change - engine maneuvers now have different cooldowns and power costs. Barrel Roll is now on 20s cooldown upgraded and costs more power, so it is not that great missile evader and pretty much needs to be coupled with Disto Field with lock breaking upgrade. You need to either count with that, or pack a Power Dive, which went from straight useless to an engine component with shortest cooldown (10s) and lowest cost, but still is very confusing if you aren't used to it. That's why it is often called Power DIE.

Other than that, bombers aren't that huge deal. If you are sensible and see mines in 5k, you will just not go there and either shoot the mines from distance or wait for some help with clearing the minefield. New ships also aren't that dangerous for you. Support ships (T3 scout and strike) are not so strong offense-wise, and the T3 bomber and gunship simply aren't more dangerous than T1's.

So what would I recommend? Get Disto Fields with lockbreakers or swap your Barrel Rolls for Power Dives on your scouts, and get Disto Field lockbreaker on your gunship. Learn to use these well and you will likely perform about the same as you did before.

And what new stuff I'd recommend? I myself really love the Clarion, T3 fighter. It is not fast or strong but it can endure so much punishment that it's ridiculous. If you learn to use that one well, you will have tons of fun trolling enemy damage dealers. And if you want some hands-free "fun", the T1 bumber (Rampart, Legion) allows you to create tons of havoc by just pooping mines in convenient places. That one got boring fast for me, though.

If by no changes you mean they took an enormous effective nerf to mobility with 2.7, then sure, the T3 is the only thing worth mentioning.

I mean, I still adore my Mangler, but let's not pretend nothing has changed from early GSF for gunships.

Wasn't it at the same time that Bombers came, just before OP quit flying ? If I'm right, then effectively, nothing significant since OP left GSF. If I'm not then, my bad.

Thank you !

others have chimed in but I might as well too :D

Not much has changed for gunships since you played. Ion Railgun has been adjusted so that low charge shots drain significantly less energy than they used to. As others have mentioned engine abilities got a nerf across the board, this affected BR users the most (since its cooldown was doubled to 20 seconds and cost was increased to use)

Gunships biggest threat is also its biggest victim (battlescouts) T2 scouts hunt gunships mercilessly now, if one starts to close with you then don't stand and fight (unless he is red hulled) popping their damage abilities they can kill you in just a few seconds. I get most GS pilots while they are still charging to shoot me (and they simply never move)

Don't do that and you should be okay. Think of RL sniper, shoot run shoot run shoot run (never let them lock you down)