Republic needs a visual revamp

Valkon

I got bored and started playing on the sith side, and everything is so much cooler.

This is not 'Rebellion' vs. 'Empire', this is 'Galactic Republic' vs ' Sith Empire'

The Rebellion was poor, the Republic, is not.

The republic locations and equipment screams "I'M HOMELESS"

There is cool light, cool dark, and rusty bucket-o-crap

Sith have the cool dark look, and republic are the rusty bucket-o-crap.

More sleek silver/white with the rust-red republic accents, less shades of brown and gray.

Also, robes != homeless.

When I enter the Sith fleet I think: "hey, this looks cool and epic!" when i enter the republic fleet is thing: "hey... what to do next..."

It is becoming more and more obvious that much more effort was put into the Sith side of the game.

I actually do agree with this. Republic PvE and PvP gear, especially for the Jedi Knight, seem to be an afterthought compared to Empire. It's as if Empire was given all of the best designs (both Dark and Light) from Expanded Universe, then Republic whatever what was left over. The level 40+ Jedi Guardian armors for example, is a *********** joke, it looks like a cheap action figure that was rushed through production. Meanwhile, it's mirror class the Sith Juggernaut is sporting iconic armor designs of both Jedi and Sith from EU comics. When you combine that with things like the turrets already facing the Republic ships at the start of the Civil War warzone, or Bounty Hunters and Sorcerers having clear advantages over their mirror Republic classes, etc, it's really not hard for me to believe that a lot more time and energy was put into designing for Empire. I hope BioWare has plans to fix this soon because it's really getting on my nerves that a game called The Old Republic is really more about "how much cooler and unbalanced can we make the Empire before someone says something" Edited by ELECTRICJUDGMENT

It makes sense that the sith received more attention. This is bioware's first chance to really delve into the sith side of things. the first two KOTOR games focused on the republic, even if you where going dark side, you never actually help the sith in any great form. So everything was jedi-looking, and the only "sith" thing was black robes.

The Sith received over the top attention to costume design, and the republic armors are just a joke, either tattered rags, 'heavy' robes that look more like trooper gear, or rag-tag heavy armor with random worn out metal stuck everywhere.

Republic needs more 'sleek' looks. My buddy that plays a trooper actually had some good sleek looking gear, until he started into the post 50 PvP and the armor looks like it was found in a dumpster.

And the subtle things, like not having to walk through a doorway for the outer rooms of the fleet, are things that get to me. It adds an ease of use for one side.

And i find it funny that the sith and republic both use the exact same base layout. Lazy...

Go download DCUO and check out the Justice League Satellite and the Hall of Doom. That is a good example of how things should work. The 'Evil' side looks dark, and the 'good' side looks sleek, not busted-rusty and seriously needing a polish(and less green, yellow and blue lights everywhere) And the layouts are different.

I know this would force changes on your so called 'space combat', and god forbid you cant just copy/paste 99% of what you did.

This game is not the end product of a 5 year development, there are way too many short cuts. What ever was done that is making it so ships can't be interchanged, was the worse decision made for this game, now bad ideas can't be fixed without major code revamps, and a revamp of that size is impossible to fit in to all the content development that needs to be done to keep players in your rollercoaster of a game.

I've seen many people notice that there is a problem with the styling of the Republic vs the Sith. Put simply, it feels like the developers had more fun with the Sith and therefore many of their best ideas and designs went that way. This most likely wasn't the intent, but it has been the result.

3 Very simple points.

BH vs Trooper story.

Nobody is going to deny that the BH storyline isn't amazing, but the Trooper storyline by comparason is quite bland and generic. One person gets to live out the Boba Fett fantasy while the other lives out the.... err... stormtrooper fantasy?... hmmmmm

Consular vs Inquistor style.

The Inquistor gets glowy robes, more visual pyrotechnic abilities and one of the best storylines in the game with the most interesting twists. The Consular comes off as feeling like some poor Jedi sent on endless errands and waving their hand in the air with little visual effect on their surroundings. I know that in the movies the Force doesn't have any visual appearence when it manifests but for the sake of gameplay you need more visual feedback from a players actions. Simple example, inquisitor throws lightning... consular throws pebbles... seriously?!

And then, we have the armor.

Now obviously there are inquisitors complaining about their stupid hats but then again the consulars also have cause for complaint there. But what about the other classes. Smugglers get to look like they're from the wild-west with a life-preserver sawn into their jackets... but the Agents get to look like they just stepped out of the Matrix. Is it any wonder people prefer Agents? Trooper armor vs BH armor, to be honest the BH armor looks more detailed and the Trooper looks like they've got a slight variation on the same armor they had at level 20.

Sorry Bioware but I have to agree. The Republic feels like they were an after-thought.

Edited by Tal-N

Actually they should of made the level 50 costumes look more like Samurai, would have given a much better look for the Republic Jedi over what they currently have.

Similar to this http://www.swagonline.net/files/images/2222.preview.jpg

or they could of made them look more like this

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nn3FXmcJdaw/TjzO8srgSXI/AAAAAAAABsA/LOf1TkeKZYo/s1600/cute%2Bjedi%2Blayout.jpg

Edited by Shakydvs

The republic is recovering from a major war that just sort of "finished" or rather went into a truce. Especially on several of its main world planets were the empire came out of no where with massive fleets and started destroyign everything.

Kinda makes sense things have a scruffy look when your still licking your wounds from the last major open warfare that went on.

I see it exactly the opposite. When I play Republic side I see impressive architecture, vibrant colors, and tons of variety. When I play Empire side I see dreary authoritarian environments, and an atmosphere only an emo kid could love.

To each their own I suppose...

EDIT: Armor on the other hand is another matter entirely.

Edited by Cancrizans

KOTOR Republic vs. Fanboy Empire was a horrible idea and downright lulzy when you consider that the old Republic turned into the Sith-led Galatic Empire on its own, and before that even looked Imperial with pointy ships, TIEs and stormtroopers. Would have been better to have two factions fighting over the Republic itself with the players choosing which side they were on. Edited by Abanoth