this dude built a life size 27 feet tall AT-ST in his backyard! very cool.

dvrocc

I think this is pretty cool and he spent at least a couple months on this and it is 27 feet tall! it isn't mobile atm but hey you never know! I think with some different color LED's and a bit of soldering he will have some neat effects and even cooler at night!

27 feet tall AT-ST http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/5/11372500/star-wars-atst-walker-lifesize-replica-imgur

heck yeah!

Note: just add a reply and avoid reading anything from the 5th reply on the first page, it seems a couple bored players decided to hijack my thread and put each other down in a immature way a.k.a. trollin

Edited by dvrocc

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because there weren't more constructive ways he could've spent that time & energy.

It's true: even people on mmo forums (of all places...) like to make snap judgements about how other people spend their free time.

You play a video game and post on their forums...and you're suggesting HE could have spent his time better? WOW!

I log on to the game twice a week and I haven't been on this forum in a few days, never mind the 3 months before I started posting again a few weeks ago. Maybe that's all you do, but I'm studying for exams to, you know, achieve a higher education to better myself and the society I inhabit. Some of us have meaning in our lives outside swtor.

I log on to the game twice a week and I haven't been on this forum in a few days, never mind the 3 months before I started posting again a few weeks ago. Maybe that's all you do, but I'm studying for exams to, you know, achieve a higher education to better myself and the society I inhabit. Some of us have meaning in our lives outside swtor.

Uh huh lol

How about more productive ways you could have spent the time and energy instead of denigrating someone else and their artistic whimsy?

He built a large dormant rust magnet that he couldn't sale if he wanted to, because it's built into a pole in the ground. Artistic whimsy? Let's call it what it is-- A waste of time, space & energy.

Edited by Aeristash

He built a large dormant rust magnet that he couldn't sale if he wanted to, because it's built into a pole in the ground. Artistic whimsy? Let's call it what it is-- A waste of time, space & energy.

Now am curious as of what he did to you? why are you so butt hurt? i'd say you are jealous on him.. since he manage to make something incredible awesome, shame it dosent move but who knows! maybe in the future..

Come back when you've done something. The guy you're judging spent a lot of time studying and improving himself, too. And works of art like his are a contribution to society even if you are full of self-righteous anger.

Now am curious as of what he did to you? why are you so butt hurt? i'd say you are jealous on him.. since he manage to make something incredible awesome, shame it dosent move but who knows! maybe in the future..

Why did he have to offend me and why do I have to be jealous of him to think the project is a meaningless waste of time? Why can't I just simply think it's a waste of time because I can see no value in it? Why does it always come down to the 'hater' justification when people can't cope with conflicting perspectives? :confused: Smh...

Come back when you've done something. The guy you're judging spent a lot of time studying and improving himself, too. And works of art like his are a contribution to society even if you are full of self-righteous anger.

Don't waste your time with someone like this. They clearly think that everyone has to do what they consider important and rate people according. I think it was great that he did that. I know that is not something I could do and it also shows how much he likes star wars.

Don't waste your time with someone like this. They clearly think that everyone has to do what they consider important and rate people according. I think it was great that he did that. I know that is not something I could do and it also shows how much he likes star wars.

Nailed it. Wonderful project, I know my nephews would love it if I had skills like that! :D

Well said ikinai!
Yep, that's why Ikinai has my proxy to speak on my behalf when I'm not around.

I would consider building this thing a waste of my time, but, hey, let the dude decide for himself how best to invest his time/money. Some people claim I waste my time and money playing golf. And not all of those critics have even seen me play golf (which, yeah, confirms I'm wasting my time :(). I'm about to invest 48 hours glued to my recliner watching the NFL Draft and countless hours of repetitive, saturating analysis thereof. Don't dare assert that I'm wasting my time!

Oh? How so?

Art impresses and inspires and opens some minds. Maybe someone else will see his work and build something more generally useful (mobile homes less vulnerable to flooding and changing landscapes, for ex). SciFi Art gives us ideas on which boundaries can/should be pushed. And a real life semi-functional edifice can make much more of an impression than something in a movie or book. Ask one of your teachers or google "what is art" and "what's the value of art". Architecture can definitely be an art form.

Art is the expression of humanity, it allows peoples of similar inclination to marvel and rejoice in what the mind, body and spirit can accomplish. That's how.

*chuckle* Looking at artistic expression will not stop the body from deteriorating in any form, nor are the abstract concepts of the mind & spirit valid testimonials.

"Art is useless because its aim is simply to create a mood. It is not meant to instruct, or to influence action in any way. It is superbly sterile, and the note of its pleasure is sterility. If the contemplation of a work of art is followed by activity of any kind, the work is either of a very second-rate order, or the spectator has failed to realise the complete artistic impression.

A work of art is useless as a flower is useless. A flower blossoms for its own joy. We gain a moment of joy by looking at it. That is all that is to be said about our relations to flowers. Of course man may sell the flower, and so make it useful to him, but this has nothing to do with the flower. It is not part of its essence. It is accidental. It is a misuse. All this is I fear very obscure. But the subject is a long one.

Truly yours,

Oscar Wilde"

^ He means that it's useless because it just sits there. It's not a tool for anything. Directly proceeding his introduction in "The picture of Dorian grey", he says "we can forgive man for making a useless thing, as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely." Admiring beauty for the sake of beauty is pointless. "There is no moral or immoral book, only books that are well written (beautiful) or poorly written (flawed)...paraphrased". It's the enlightened individual to whom beautiful things mean nothing more than beauty.

Reading some of the other articles on the internet about the engineer that built it, he didn't build it out of a love for Star Wars, he just wanted to see if he could do it.

^ He means that it's useless because it just sits there. It's not a tool for anything.

It obviously doubles as a "fort" for the kids who play on that swing set. They are undeniably inspired to dream and imagine when they enter that AT-ST and play with their friends, or even alone. It's a "tool" for building imaginations and inspiring people to dream.

Reading some of the other articles on the internet about the engineer that built it, he didn't build it out of a love for Star Wars, he just wanted to see if he could do it.

Now that is interesting. He actually challenged himself to do something that he wasn't sure if he could do. He did a great job.

Edited by casirabit