I do not agree with the inclusion of SGRs.

TheBBP

I don't get the argument that it's wasted resources cos it's just for the minority.

We basically already know it's gonna be an NPC ergo it's likely we'll all interact with him as part of the planet story arc or a sidequest. He's gonna be sending us out for 10 rats and throw us some credits and/or direction to the next quest hub.

And he'll have a [Flirt] option for some to click. I don't see that as wasted resources and devtime.

Heck, if you're splitting hair, every interaction in the game is 2/3 wasted resources as you won't see the other 2 responses or the cinematics they may lead to, and frankly not many of us will do replays. So when we pick a response the others are essentially dev time down the drain as far as we're concerned. But that's the essence of BW games innit.

Only difference this time is the NPC will have a [Flirt] option I'll never click, like dozens others have a [Kill] option I never click cos I'm not part of the sociopath minority that however apparently does deserve "pandering to".

Real criminal misappropriation of development resources that. Not. So lets all get a grip with the "they're doing SGR when they should be adding content for everyone" thing cos it's ridiculous. Not one bit of story content in TOR is by necessity "for everyone", that's the bloody point. I won't flirt with the gay guy when I talk to him, whooptie do. I also didn't cut off heads as a bounty hunter. I'll survive I think. And I think the game is better for having the CHOICE, even if I never do it.

Edited by aeterno

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have friends who just run War Zones, every now and then they go out to do perhaps a little bit of story-q's. One of my PvP-friends just turned up on the fleet with his new JC and Nadia. I commented on how fast he was lvl:ing and that was a cute outfit he had for Nadia. He said something to the equivalent of "Who?" . Me: "Nadia- your future pixel-wife?". He didn't know who Nadia was as a companion because he had just space-barred through the story pretty much. He doesn't do companion-convos that much either, just for his designated crafter. He and I have complete opposite playstyles since for me story is the most important thing and I'm quite happy to see the addition of SGR.

Different people like different things =) luckily BioWare does stuff for all of us. I would rate story as more important than PvP and I'm pretty sure my buddy would do the complete opposite. You never know what the people around you may like.

MMOs survive and thrive when players become invested in their characters. For some, that means getting nice raid gear. For some, it's getting a high PvP rank. For some, it's creating a character that has an interesting story that they wish to continue.

Anything that allows a player to connect and become invested further with their characters is a good thing. It's an important thing that people want to stay.

I can totally understand the argument that Bioware shouldn't do romance content at all going forward. I heartily and vehemently disagree with it, but I can understand it. What I don't understand is the argument that Bioware shouldn't do SGRA specifically because "other things are more important."

SGRA is simply a form of story. This MMO's chief draw is the story. In terms of Makeb, there's no real extra development time added for same-gender flirts. They're simply using the exact same technology they have now. So, instead of having three options at some point in a conversation, the player will have ... three options, and one of them will be a Flirt.

One might as well say that Bioware shouldn't bother with branching conversations at all anymore. After all, only a small percentage of players might see any one line. As an example, I'm working on my fourth Imperial character, and I'm finally going dark side. These are options. I won't see the light-side results, and my others didn't see the dark-side results. I also have four Republic characters that are light-side. Only 12.5% of my characters go dark side, so it's not worth making any more dark side options.

It's a ludicrous argument, and it's ludicrous to make about SGRA, too. There are conversations, and these conversations have multiple options. The fact that a few of those options include a flirt for someone the same gender as the speaker is immaterial.

There should certainly be future companions, and these companions should certainly have romance options if they make sense. More choice is good, whether it be choosing Light or Dark, justice or mercy, flirt or don't flirt.

Honestly, I feel the same way about PvP as TheBBP feels about SGRA. I don't partake in it, I have no desire to do so, and I feel that removing the need for balance in PvP could make for a much more interesting PvE game. But, I know that there are people that want PvP, and I believe that those people should be able to take part in the activity they enjoy so much.

And, while it may be that romances culminate with three e-mails and no further contact, that doesn't necessarily mean that people who want SGRA "aren't missing out on anything." For some people, that's a huge part of the character, and it's something that more purples, more warzones, more operations and more flashpoints can never replace.

There are some people who view the fact that characters can't sit in chairs as an unforgivable oversight that makes the game unworthy of their time. The same is true of player housing and some other sandbox elements. It's a small thing. It has no bearing on how the game plays. But, it's important enough to them that they are not playing the game. There is no telling what any group of people is going to find important enough to play or not play a game. These people also deserve consideration.

Why? Because they have disposable income, and I'm sure EA would love to relieve them of that burden.

Except of course the people who may have enjoyed SGR content in other Bioware games, but haven't ever felt the urge to play an MMO before. Quite a large amount of people, I'd presume.

And we know, because Bioware has said so, that the number of people playing SGR content in their games is anything but insignificant, so your argument is really a non-argument.

On a side note, since you decry "yelling" from a certain part of the player base, I'm not the one using caps to make a point, my friend. So you might want to tone it down a little. It makes conversing so much easier.

This is a MMO. A MMO needs MMO stuff so more people plays it and pays for it. SGR is NOT the kind of stuff that makes people choose your MMO instead of another. Minigames content is the kind of stuff that makes people choose your MMO instead of another.

God it's so hard to understand? Priority should be adding stuff so MORE PEOPLE COMES. People who enjoyed SGR playing Mass Effect or Dragon Age will not play SWTOR because SGR. What the hell...do you think somebody will say "omg, in this swtor game I can do SGR again?? I HAVE TO PLAY IT!!!" god dammit NO. MMO's are about CONTENT and "what can I do instead of being jumping on the fleet". Today a High end PVP and PVE player the only thing he can do is...STAY STILL ON THE FLEET waiting for the next WZ or the next FP to pop up. We need Stuff to do. Things to do. Things that makes people MOVE. Go to Nar Shadda, to Tatooine. Make the game feel alive. Adding pazaak on every cantina and Swoop Races on Tatooine and Nar Shadda would make it. People would move a lot.

What would do SGR to improve the health of this game??? NOTHING. People would stay still on the fleet waiting for the next WZ or FP. Doing nothing. And some day they will be bored and they will leave the game.

We are NOT against SGR...ffs my commander FemShepard banged Liara!. We only say there are other priorities to keep this game as healthy as possible.

On a side note, since you decry "yelling" from a certain part of the player base, I'm not the one using caps to make a point, my friend. So you might want to tone it down a little. It makes conversing so much easier

You misunderstood me surely because i'm not english and I did not express what I would correctly...I was refering to the "SGR oficial Thread"...there is like a "WE WANT, WE WANT" giant thread. I was not talking about you or anybody on this thread.

You misunderstood me surely because i'm not english and I did not express what I would correctly...I was refering to the "SGR oficial Thread"...there is like a "WE WANT, WE WANT" giant thread. I was not talking about you or anybody on this thread.
I'm not english either, and I fully understood what you meant. I do disagree though. I'm a regular poster in that other thread as well, and I don't see people yelling over there, either.

Maybe it's your impression they do, since you seem to feel very strongly about this topic and project. It's not the case though.

Thirdly, you have no idea why people play MMOs, because various people play various MMOs that contain various sorts of content. Unless you have numbers to support your claims, stop making stuff up.

Again, Bioware have said before that the number of people playing SGR content in their games is not insignificant, so I take this info over your notion anytime.

I'm not english either, and I fully understood what you meant. I do disagree though. I'm a regular poster in that other thread as well, and I don't see people yelling over there, either.

Maybe it's your impression they do, since you seem to feel very strongly about this topic and project. It's not the case though.

Thirdly, you have no idea why people play MMOs, because various people play various MMOs that contain various sorts of content. Unless you have numbers to support your claims, stop making stuff up.

Again, Bioware have said before that the number of people playing SGR content in their games is not insignificant, so I take this info over your notion anytime.

People playing SGR not being "insignificant" means NOTHING cause SGR is not a claim for new players. Content IS. People won't play this game for SGR, people will play this game if this game has content to do. Stuff to do.

Just open a thread and ask people what they prefer...content or SGR.

If you are playing SWTOR for character relationships and not for PVP or PVE content you are playing the Wrong Game. You should take a look at The Sims.

Edited by Royox

People playing SGR not being "insignificant" means NOTHING cause SGR is not a claim for new players. Content IS. People won't play this game for SGR, people will play this game if this game has content to do. Stuff to do.

Just open a thread and ask people what they prefer...content or SGR.

If you are playing SWTOR for character relationships and not for PVP or PVE content you are playing the Wrong Game. You should take a look at The Sims.

I've tried The Sims for about 15 min and that was not my kind of thing. BioWare games are. The role playing that I get to do when I play Dragon Age:Origins or DAII. Or Commander Shepard in Mass Effect. That is the kind of character relationships that I want to explore while playing. This is why I actually started playing SWTOR, not because it was a Star Wars game but because it was a BioWare game :)

For you this and other character romances and relationships might be irritating but for me this is content! So all in all I am pretty happy. I still only lvl:ing my 3rd charcter so I have plenty of class stories to play through yet. Hoping there will be new interesting things in Makeb and a continuation with class stories and romances in future expansions. Because that is what makes me play this game. Considering how much fun I have had playing through the class stories I would not say that this is the wrong game for me, rather that it fits me very well and this inclusion makes me even happier. Should I leave because I enjoy the game?

Different people like different things :) I hope that we all will get some of things that we are looking for in the game.

Edited by SilentKitty

+1 to all you said...but still it shouldn't be a priority for a 1 year MMO.

The point is: They announce one expansion and say almost NOTHING about that expansion content but "5 more levels, 1 planet and...SGR"....this is not the way you announce an expansion.

See it for another way...if the most important thing they announce for ROTHC expansion is SGR we are going to have a big problem.

I can ever improve it.....if they announced we will be able to continue our relationships with our companions it would be fine...FFS...I married Kira and that b*tch never talked to me again! But it seems like they are only focused on that SGR cause it's a whole "point 4" of the last "State of the game".

Summary:

Let us continue our relationships with all companions and EVEN include some SGR (not with every companion)--->Fine.

ONLY add SGR options and do nothing else with existant companions ------> bad.

Never! Corso is with my Fem.Scoundrel!! Is mine!!!!

Hmm... I do not think that they will promote Makeb mainly as SGR, a few [flirt]-options that we just heard about is not the main event for that expansion. Just look back to what they have told us so far.

To give you all a better idea of Makeb's scope, it's a planet of equal size to our larger planets and it contains a variety of areas – sprawling mesas, underground caverns, garden estates, and more. It introduces faction-specific storylines, new Heroic missions and bosses, repeatable mission series, and new Datacrons! The 5 new levels will occupy players for a fair amount of time, and there's plenty of content to get you there (including a lot of stuff tucked away for the explorers out there). Keep in mind that this announcement is just the start – as we approach Makeb's launch, you'll see more details about the content coming with Rise of the Hutt Cartel!

We think players interested in lore are going to really enjoy the story in Rise of the Hutt Cartel, and I'd like to share a few more details – this seemed like a good thread for it!

The people of Makeb have remained neutral in wars between the great political powers in the galaxy. Relying on their wealth, isolation, and an army of mercenaries, the citizens have enjoyed centuries of prosperity. However, in the midst of the current galactic conflict, the Hutt Cartel has recognized the planet as a crucial stepping stone to increase their organization's standing and reclaim the strength of their ancestors’ empire. They've hired Makeb's mercenaries away and have made the citizens prisoners in their own homes, forcing them to reach out to the Republic in a desperate bid for rescue.

The Republic recognizes the Cartel's seizure of Makeb as a bid for galactic power. With victory over the Empire seeming possible for the first time in decades, Supreme Chancellor Saresh is determined to respond to Makeb's request for aid to stop the Cartel before they can become an even greater threat and compromise the Republic’s chance for victory.

Taking advantage of the chaos erupting between the Hutt Cartel and the Republic, the Sith Empire makes their own bold play for the hidden power of Makeb, seizing their chance to regain some of the strength lost to internal struggles and at the hands of the Republic's military resurgence. They plan to outmaneuver all their enemies to usher in a new era of Imperial dominance.

We know you're all very interested to hear about how the new level cap is going to affect your class, and I wanted to share a little information about the upcoming changes with you. As part of the new content, every skill tree will be expanding and you can expect significant updates. Players will earn a new skill point with each level, and new skills will be available in each skill tree. Additionally, a new active ability will be introduced for each Advanced Class. We'll have more details about many aspects of Rise of the Hutt Cartel as we approach launch, so keep your eyes on the website and dev tracker!

After all of that work I do not think that a few SGR [flirt]-options will be the main selling point. It will be the extra something for those who feel that it is really important to their characters. And they never presented SGR as the main thing in Rise of the Hutt Cartel, it is just the newest little piece of information that we have been given so the forum is picking it apart as per usual :) They haven't started beating on the big drums for this expansion yet, think we will see much much more when it is getting closer. This information now is just for us who take the time to go on the forum and devote extra time to the game.

I hope that they will take good care of all relationships in the game, OGR and SGR. If there was no more flirting for my FemScoundrel and Corso I would be crying fangirl-tears. Don't believe that they will include SGR for all existing companions so I do not think you will have to worry about that.

Have fun on the forum!

Edited by SilentKitty

Never! Corso is with my Fem.Scoundrel!! Is mine!!!!

No, honey, you don't want to get into this discussion here because I have things to say about that. What I'll say is, you've just proven my point.

You have what you want, got the romances down and all (several it seems.... :rolleyes:), but when other people want theirs, it's suddenly not of importance for the greater good.

Funny, innit? :rolleyes:

Edited by Lent_San

No, honey, you don't want to get into this discussion here because I have things to say about that. What I'll say is, you've just proven my point.

You have what you want, got the romances down and all (several it seems.... :rolleyes:), but when other people want theirs, it's suddenly not of importance for the greater good.

Funny, innit? :rolleyes:

Well I wanted a romance with Lord Scourge with my fem.sentinel and it's not possible....and my main character is a Jedi Guardian and he can only romance Kira (srsly bioware...only 1 girl on the ship?) you can't always have all what you want.

You have the same romance choices than me in the game. It's not like they are forbidding you to have a romance. Just think like it's the "real life". You can't romance with everybody you know even if you want :cool:

Edited by Royox

No, no. You stated this to be a 'fact'. It's your responsibility to back that up, not mine to refute it.

So, what are your sources again?

Word of Warcraft: No SGR. Not even character relationships. Milions of things to do instead of "waiting in Orgrimmar". Over 10M players.

Your move.

Edited by Royox

Demonstrate yourself it's not. What does most people expect for an MMO? SGR or content? What would people pay a monthly subscription for? For a 30 sec cutscene or for ingame content?

it's like talking to a wall.......

You do realize that SGR's are still technically Content. They may not be Content that you'll use, but they are Content that others will use. Also, the SGR's with some of the Makeb Citizens are just the beginning as we will eventually get to have SGR's with Companions (New Companions or otherwise)

Edited by Altyrell

Word of Warcraft: No SGR. Not even character relationships. Milions of things to do instead of "waiting in Orgrimmar". Over 10M players.

Your move.

Great! Sounds like you'll find anything you want in a game just there.

I support you playing that game, if it makes you happy.

You do realize that SGR's are still technically Content. They may not be Content that you'll use, but they are Content that others will use. Also, the SGR's with some of the Makeb Citizens are just the beginning as we will eventually get to have SGR's with Companions (New Companions or otherwise)

I'm not english and I have to think things 5 times before writing for not making a step on "politica matters"....you have to understand me...I dunno another way of saying what I want to say.

You just know my point...dont flip my words plz. I'm trying to be respectfull and not making any mistake.

Great! Sounds like you'll find anything you want in a game just there.

I support you playing that game, if it makes you happy.

So...you accepted my point right?

Edited by Royox

Well, to be fair, those MMO's didn't fail because of the lack of SGR's so to say that they failed because they also didn't have SGR's isn't exactly fair

That wasn't my intention, but thank you for clarifying. My intention was to point out that just because one successful MMO doesn't have SGR, we can't say truthfully that SGR will break an MMO. Does SWTOR NEED SGR to be successful? I don't think so. Does it need minigames to be successful? I don't think so either. Did Bioware promise SGR? I believe they did.

That wasn't my intention, but thank you for clarifying. My intention was to point out that just because one successful MMO doesn't have SGR, we can't say truthfully that SGR will break an MMO. Does SWTOR NEED SGR to be successful? I don't think so. Does it need minigames to be successful? I don't think so either. Did Bioware promise SGR? I believe they did.

But surelly minigames and pvp stuff can help a lot more to this game than SGR. Just look how many "pazaak" topics are opened every single day. Yesterday there were about 5 new topics about pazaak.

So...you accepted my point right?
No, why would I? MMOs live through variety. If you copy WoW, you'll end up with two WoWs, competing with each other.

It's good to have MMOs with traditional MMO traits. Like PvP, battlezones, whatever. Last I looked, SWTOR has that.

It's also good to have variety, to recrute players who haven't played MMOs before.

So it makes sense to implement stuff that other MMOs don't have. Like romance content, which includes SGR content.

Edited by Lent_San

I think there are many more important things that need doing, and more fun things to add to the game, then do this... that's just all have to say. Was never really into the romance anyways, I find it funny more then anything else.

But surelly minigames and pvp stuff can help a lot more to this game than SGR. Just look how many "pazaak" topics are opened every single day. Yesterday there were about 5 new topics about pazaak.

And how many "SGR" topics were there. I know there may not be as many new ones, but there is a HUGE one in the Story and Lore forums with quite a devoted following. And I would much rather have SGR than pazzak or more pvp.