Avoid under-leveled for Class mission?

Bigbearbear

I'm playing a Gunslinger, on part 3 of my class story now. The first 2 parts/planets of the class story was ok, I was pretty much at-level or higher level than the mobs so not too much issues.

However, at part 3 of the Class story, I hit a snag. I was 1 level below the recommended level requirements. I could still go to the planet and do quests but I was getting hammered despite packing FP gears. It was tough going until I leveled 3 more levels and replaced most of my gear with orange ones from running FPs.

I'm finishing up part 3 now and would like to find out how do you guys avoid being under-leveled for your Class story? Do you do every single quests, including the Heroic ones? I do all the quests I can find but I tend to skip the Heroic ones. Should I try to do and complete those before moving on to the next part of the Class story?

Thanks.

Depending on my level, I either do or do not take the side quests at each location. I look to stay a couple levels over the class quest level. I try to do every heroic that I can solo and any others that I can find groups for, but don't harp on them if no one's around. Rewardwise, they are more worthwhile.

Just recently, I've started doing some of the planets' bonus series. I've noticed they tend to have better rewards, and the content is fresh to me as I haven't already done it with every alt.

I play a sith assassin and seem to be at least 1-2 levels under leveled, even so, the first hour or so is difficult, the rest is fine, same with class quests.

This is what I'm trying to avoid, being under leveled and getting hammered when doing quests. It is just a little irritating, especially when your quest involve you killing Elite class mobs or have you go into areas with Strong class mobs backed by multiple weak ones. I recall this Artillery Droid thing that shoots missiles at you, always killed me until I leveled past it with good gear from FPs.

I'm starting to suspect that this is intentional, so that you'll have to purchase the XP boost (either the pack thing or legacy unlock) to avoid being under leveled.

Edited by Bigbearbear

You can avoid heroics, flashpoints, PVP, space, and NOT buy any boosters and you will still be at or above level if you do everything else. You will probably need to do all of the bonus parts of the quests and all the planet bonus series. You're probably missing some quests. Be sure to check your map when you return to quest locations as sometimes new ones will pop up that weren't there last time you were there because you weren't eligible yet. Also, most of the bonus series will be triggered in the spaceport on the way out after you finish your class quest on the planet. Alderaan is one exception that I can think of off hand and you get that one on the fleet.

If you are F2P then you do actually gain XP slightly slower than a subscriber.

I always:

• Log out on my ship or in a cantina for teh rested XP bonus
  • Do every mission I can find and solo. If I happen upon someone outside a Heroic I'll ask if they're doing it or if they want to do it.
  • Do the planetary bonus series
  • Do all the bonus missions that pop up as you go

I've generally hit 50 on Voss and never had anything to do on Corellia other than my class missions. The XP boosters are nice to have for those times you know you're going to be running for a few hours at once, but they appear to be real time. That is from noon to 3pm you get the bonus. If you play from noon until 1pm then log for the day, you lose those other 2 hours.

I play the opposite, always as under-leveled as possible (3-4 levels low). I'm on my 6th and 7th toons now so have done all the side quests. My recommendation is to play smart with your companions/CCs and to use a stim at all times. The stims help at higher levels.

I do find that skipping the side quests means I have to gear my companions from the GTN. I also pretty much only level in orange so will sub out my mods on the GTN every three levels to keep up. I always took my companions for granted on my first two toons, but on my third I really learned to use them. For my slinger I would always use Corso and make sure I had his abilities quick keyed. I send him in first to establish aggro and then hit them. Through Chapter 2 I was a sharpshooter, but switched specs you may want to try a different spec as well.

Good luck!

I've leveled 5 toons to 50 so far. Starting with the third one, I've generally stayed 2-4 levels below the planet I'm on.

This is partly so I can skip side quests, and partly for the challenge. The more level 50s, the higher my presence is, which makes things really easy (e.g. soloing Black Talon at level 11 with crap gear)

The only time I really ran into trouble was hitting Belsavis on my sorcerer at level 38. The first mob I hit was level 43 (go figure) and he resisted every single attack.

Usually about 3-4 levels above the recommended level per planet and I skip a lot of quests.

I do spend a hell of a lot of time in warzones though.

I find the vast majority of side quests incredibly dull so avoid them like the plague.

So yeah, I do most of my levelling in PvP.

personally i find its usually the other way around, i often tend to leave planets when i hit sertain level, becouse im getting way to overleveled for the planet

i always start a planet by doing the full class story before i start playing with planets arcs, and sometimes i get to just skip planets all together, add some pvp and its very doable.

a tips

- Always play with a char that has full rested. most of your missions will get you lots of kills and with rested you get alot more xp for the grind

tip 2: if you get stuck, ask a guildy to come help you, after all its an MMO, and you are done.

Edited by Ergos

Well the "Legacy XP Buffs" to allow you skipping of everything but Class story is debunked. I've done this on two toons so far and I was required to still hit other content in order to keep within 5 levels of class story.

Found I hit quesh orbit station at like 30-32 and needed to level to 33 due to skipping all content but class missions.

Hitting every bonus and mission on planet appears to be the only way to go still (just slightly less with buffs)

• XP Buff for Rest < Biggest benefit
  • XP Buff for Legacy
  • XP Buff from cartel pack (if you want to spend the coins)

I found that I've had to purchase GTN gear every 3-4 levels in order to take down quests 4 levels above me. Don't even bother with 5 levels above as you "Miss" most of the attacks anyways and wipe. I got lucky once on Taris with 5 level difference, but it was a fluke.

Do your class quest, then do the bonus series. This works until the 40's where you pretty much have to do everything until you get to 47 when you can complete your class quests.

The class quest bonuses are very minor, even at a full 30%. They will let you skip pretty much everything in level 1-10 and make 10-20 go a tad faster. After that the bonus fizzles as class quests get fewer and fewer and xp-to-level gets bigger and bigger.

Edited by maxetius

You can avoid heroics, flashpoints, PVP, space, and NOT buy any boosters and you will still be at or above level if you do everything else. You will probably need to do all of the bonus parts of the quests and all the planet bonus series. You're probably missing some quests. Be sure to check your map when you return to quest locations as sometimes new ones will pop up that weren't there last time you were there because you weren't eligible yet. Also, most of the bonus series will be triggered in the spaceport on the way out after you finish your class quest on the planet. Alderaan is one exception that I can think of off hand and you get that one on the fleet.

Thanks, I suspect you are right in that I must have missed a number of side quests. This time around I'll make sure to cruise around the planet a little looking for more quests to complete. I've completed the main story on the planet but I suspect here are many side ones I've missed.

Planetary bonus series will give you a bunch of experience. Are you f2p? Its rather common to be overleveled rather than underleveled in this game.

No, I'm on a 6-months recurring subscription plan. :D

I think I must' have missed quite a number of quests to be under-leveled. This time around I used some of my Cartel Coins and bought the 6% XP boost for Flash Points, hopefully that will help when I proceed to the next planet (after making sure I got all the side quests on the current planet).

The XP boosters are nice to have for those times you know you're going to be running for a few hours at once, but they appear to be real time. That is from noon to 3pm you get the bonus. If you play from noon until 1pm then log for the day, you lose those other 2 hours.

This is not correct.

My main (first) character was a smuggler as well and I seem to remember that from Belsavis on I really had to take care of my gear and keep it at or around my current level (was playing at 0-1 levels under content). My companion had to be geared as well (first char = no presence bonus).

I wish there where a way to lower exp gain. Or some kind of opponent scaling. Like bonus damage for mobs when I'm overleveled. I enjoy to do side stuff like PvP while visiting the fleet and between flashpoint, the one or other space mission here and there. As result on my first run as Rep Trooper I was so heavily overleveled that already on Taris only the bonus missions provided a challenge for me.

Back then it wasn't necessarily so bad because of low server pop and no group finder, that way I could do heroics on alone. When I reached level 50 on Hoth the game became so boring though the lack of challenge and excitement I stop playing for months.

Currently I'm playing a Sith Warrior and again I am overleveled on Dromund Kaas. This time I even tried to avoid doing PvP except for 4 matches and 2 Flashpoints. Still I ended up being lvl 18 doing lvl 13 quests. :(

Without the fear of failure and death how I'm supposed to appreciate victory? To speak in metaphors; Stealing candy from kids don't give me the feeling of accomplishment.

I'm playing a Gunslinger, on part 3 of my class story now. The first 2 parts/planets of the class story was ok, I was pretty much at-level or higher level than the mobs so not too much issues.

However, at part 3 of the Class story, I hit a snag. I was 1 level below the recommended level requirements. I could still go to the planet and do quests but I was getting hammered despite packing FP gears. It was tough going until I leveled 3 more levels and replaced most of my gear with orange ones from running FPs.

I'm finishing up part 3 now and would like to find out how do you guys avoid being under-leveled for your Class story? Do you do every single quests, including the Heroic ones? I do all the quests I can find but I tend to skip the Heroic ones. Should I try to do and complete those before moving on to the next part of the Class story?

Thanks.

Simple, go back to the planets youve been to and do the bonus series of quests.

Its something alot of people miss (mainly because theres nothing indicating that there are new quests on the planets after youve been there once).

This is not correct.

Confirmed - I've used the 3 hour multiple times and logged for a day and come back to finish. So you don't lose the time when you log out. If the server crashes (I've heard the timer keeps running) for some unknown reason.

assuming you're subbed since you can post here, let me sum up what others say

1. log out in rested areas

2. dailies (pvp and space missions)

3. kill every mob / avoid shortcuts

4. heroics if possible

5. not flash points

I did all this and Hit lvl 50 at Belsavis. (still finished voss and corelia for closure) kept playing with a rested bonus from level 16-18 ish.

also, take a break every now and then to replenish rested xp bonus.

I found out why I'm under-level today. As it turns out, what happened was that I went straight to Alderaan after Nar Shaddaa, I believe the Class story is designed so that I'm supposed to visit Tatooine first. :eek:

Oddly enough, after Nar Shaddaa I was only like 1 level below the required level for Alderaan but I suppose the gears for companions were out classed by the area mobs and hence the difficulty I experienced. And the conversation with Risha seems to indicate I should visit Alderaan.

So I'm now backtracking to Tatooine (after completing Alderaan), which sucks really because everything is grayed out and I earn practically no experience points whatsoever. I guess I'll skip everything else in Tatooine now and try to finish the main story line quickly.

What a bummer but the good thing is that since Alderaan was so difficult for me, it really taught me how to maximize every skill I had available when fighting tough mobs. :D

Edited by Bigbearbear

The XP boosters are nice to have for those times you know you're going to be running for a few hours at once, but they appear to be real time. That is from noon to 3pm you get the bonus. If you play from noon until 1pm then log for the day, you lose those other 2 hours.

They run on /played time, not clock time.