GSF: Strike Nights

Nemarus

GSF is a great game with a rich variety of ships and components to play. But occasionally, we long for simpler times, when Star Wars space combat games were a bit more ... traditional.

The old LucasArts games like X-wing and TIE Fighter didn't have space shotguns, space sniper rifles, autonomous space turrets, deployable mines, or offensive cooldowns. In X-wing, you just had your lasers, your missiles or torpedoes, your shields, and your wits.

Ships moved slow. Time-to-kill was high. But with the pace slowed down, you had time to think, strategize, and enjoy gazing at the stars.

Pepperidge Farms remembers.

In honor of those times and those games, I'd like to invite you all to take part in Strike Nights.

The concept is simple: one night a week, we try to get as many GSF pilots as possible running Strikes only (T1, T2, or T3--any components). Undoubtedly there will be some who do not participate--either because they don't want to or aren't aware. But I suspect most The Ebon Hawk veterans will be interested in trying this, just as a once-a-week experiment.

If you decide to participate, then please reply to this thread. During the event, set your readied ships to only include Strikes. This lets friend and foe alike know that you are participating (and it also ensures that no one switches to something else to avoid a loss). And of course, spread the word to your premade, guild, and [Gsf] buddies :)

Note that this event is optional! And no one should feel shamed / forced to participate! The best way to get more people to fly Strikes is to share how much fun you're having--not to insult, accuse, or focus. You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

--------------------------

UPDATE: The first two Strike Night Mondays have both been huge successes! Let's keep it rolling next Monday, on the 9th!

NEXT STRIKE NIGHT: Monday, August 18th, 7pm to 1am EST

--------------------------

Edited by Nemarus

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far I have commitments from Eclipse Squadron, Saberwing, Damage Overcharge (Aimbot, Pylan, Alex-jm, Swansea), and the Bastioneers (don't know what else to call them--Drakolich, Dementia, Valix, Gunsheep).

Keep spreading the word on [Gsf] and in matches, since not everyone visits the forums.

Sexy.

Clarion Powers, Activate!

...and the Bastioneers (don't know what else to call them--Drakolich, Dementia, Valix, Gunsheep).

We call them the Bastion Bastages.

But, truthfully, your term there is frankly better.

Edited by QuinMantha

We call them the Bastion Bastages.

I approve. We will also accept "hackers," "baddies," "people with way too much time on their hands" or our current guild name (we disbanded Burst Laser Cannon), <VOIP Bomber Premade>. We would've tried joining <Eclipse Squadron> if there was a shock collar powerful enough to restrain Verain from talking at all. Unfortunately I have had a hard time locating one through normal or alternate means (RPing). :(

I'll try my best to be there, stock strike fighter should be hilariously awesome. :D

Edited by TrinityLyre

i approve. We will also accept "hackers," "baddies," "people with way too much time on their hands" or our current guild name (we disbanded burst laser cannon), <voip bomber premade>. We would've tried joining <eclipse squadron> if there was a shock collar powerful enough to restrain verain from talking at all. Unfortunately i have had a hard time locating one through normal or alternate means (rping). :(

i'll try my best to be there, stock strike fighter should be hilariously awesome. :D

rapid-fire laser canons!

I approve. We will also accept "hackers," "baddies," "people with way too much time on their hands" or our current guild name (we disbanded Burst Laser Cannon), <VOIP Bomber Premade>. We would've tried joining <Eclipse Squadron> if there was a shock collar powerful enough to restrain Verain from talking at all. Unfortunately I have had a hard time locating one through normal or alternate means (RPing). :(

I'll try my best to be there, stock strike fighter should be hilariously awesome. :D

I had my fill of snarking at Verain, and his posts have been solid lately. :) If you guys do want to join, we should talk. I just figured you tend to fly together most of the time, and Eclipse often has a mix of vets and newbs in its groups.

It's proving difficult to get folks to go along with Strike Night so far, and that makes me sad. A lot of people have been really cool about it, but the Empire doesn't seem to have gotten the memo, and some Republic pilots have deliberately gone out of their way to not be cool cats about it.

I've seen people fly Gunships (and get deaded), I've seen folks fly Scouts (and get deaded), I've even seen a couple Bombers (AND LORD HELP THEM FOR THE REVULSION THAT SHALL BE HEAPED UPON THEM FOR VIOLATING STRIKE NIGHT).

I am a sad little Strike pilot tonight, for all those who refuse to go with and enjoy a server event. We don't put these together very often.

Edited by QuinMantha

WHOA hold on there!

Each match I've been in has been dominated predominately by strikes. Sure there are some non-conformists who are being blown to bits but they are learning the error of their ways.

So far, this has been a blast!

Shayd, thanks for suggesting this event!

It has been a ton of fun this evening seeing a squadron of Strike Fighters out in the friendly skies. There have been a few folks in each match that didn't know or didn't want to play along, but on the whole, it has really been Strike Night! I've had a super-fun time dusting off the old ships I haven't flown in a while. The matches have been a lot closer, too, and that is always awesome.

Edited by Damidez

I came on a bit later in the evening, but by the time I was playing, the vast majority of pilots were not only participating, but had removed all non-Strikes from their bar. Kudos and thank you! ^_^

I certainly had a ton of fun (playing on both factions), and on both sides there seemed to be a very positive reaction to the event and a hope that it would continue on a weekly basis.

That being said, there were some people who said Mondays were difficult for them. I welcome everyone to propose alternate times in this thread.

That being said, tonight had a pretty solid crowd, and until we decide differently, let's assume the next Strike Night will be next Monday.

Edited by Nemarus

I'm all for this thing being weekly. that said Mondays aren't the best for me personally. I'd perfer tuesdays (although getting people to volenatarily take a differnt choice on the days the dalies and weeklies come up might admittinfly be harder) still definatly in favor of this. it felt good to just get in there and mix it up

Man I dunno. The few times I hopped in my horribly ungeared strike on imp side I was murdered either by groups of holy-cow-that-guy-vaped-me-in-2-seconds or by that-regular-I-know-oughta-know-about-Strike-night-yet-just-killed-me-twice-in-a-gunship. XD