New class needed for SWTOR

Lhancelot

Fixed that for ya.

As others said. It's not going to happen. This game has been around for 8 years and has had a number of expansions without any new classes added. Whatever they would add would take a lot of work but also would've to be agreed with Lucasarts.

I suppose they could sell it separately starting at level 50 without a class story. Just not sure how well that would be received. Subs would have to get a free unlock for both the rep and imp side of course. I dunno, I also just don't see it happen.

People also didn't think BW would start communicating effectively to the forumquesters, yet look at how things are now? You never know. If SWTOR becomes BW's most lucrative game they just might continue adding improvements!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Support

Add new classes any way possible, start at lvl 50-70 or wherever it makes sense to the whiners, new specs for existing classes, let smugglers start the story over as a jedi while keeping their lvl 70 class abilities, whatever.

Sure, there are many ways they could add a new class or even sub class to the game. I'd leave that up to the brain turst at BW to really sort out the lore and how they incorporate the new class into the game. Nothing is impossible.

Careful ... you're starting to sound the way I did a few months ago !!

:D

It's all good !!

Maybe some day I'll see that little sketch I put together in here as well. You never know !

It's a lot more fun doing things like this ... as opposed to all of the negative junk that goes on !

If nothing else this thread has been a bright spot in the day!

That and getting that bed room painted ... finally !!! Wife's REALLY happy about that too !!

;)

The ONLY way a new class could possibly work is if it was a third advanced class for an existing one. That way they could reuse all the existing story content and just develop the mechanics.

To make it manageable, just do one advanced class and mirror at a time. You don't actually need all four at once, you just need both factions to have the additional option.

My thoughts would be base the classes off a niche that isn't already there. So, for examples...

1) Trooper (Ranger) / Bounty Hunter (Assassin): a class with three damage disciplines, a stealth generator and an HK-style assassinate talent. The weapon for both is a sniper rifle with an offhand vibroblade for in close attacks.

2) Jedi Knight (Warden) / Sith Warrior (Conqueror): a class with a heal spec in the form of instilling their allies with the Force as you lead them in battle. Your weapon would be the double-bladed lightsaber.

3) Jedi Consular (TBD) / Sith Inquistor (TBD): another all damage class focused on being a true gish (i.e. basically a 10m damage class that uses a mix of saber and force attacks... kinda like the shadow/assassin's tank spec, but single target damage focused. Their weapons would be two lightsabers.

4) Smuggler (Bruiser) / Agent (Extractor): A class with a tank spec and a focus on melee attacks and using dirty tricks to keep the focus on them in a fight. Their primary weapons would be vibroswords/staves with an "offhand" blaster/rifle they use for some 10m attacks (and cut scenes).

But that's just off the top of my head.

The ONLY way a new class could possibly work is if it was a third advanced class for an existing one. That way they could reuse all the existing story content and just develop the mechanics.

To make it manageable, just do one advanced class and mirror at a time. You don't actually need all four at once, you just need both factions to have the additional option.

My thoughts would be base the classes off a niche that isn't already there. So, for examples...

1) Trooper (Ranger) / Bounty Hunter (Assassin): a class with three damage disciplines, a stealth generator and an HK-style assassinate talent. The weapon for both is a sniper rifle with an offhand vibroblade for in close attacks.

2) Jedi Knight (Warden) / Sith Warrior (Conqueror): a class with a heal spec in the form of instilling their allies with the Force as you lead them in battle. Your weapon would be the double-bladed lightsaber.

3) Jedi Consular (TBD) / Sith Inquistor (TBD): another all damage class focused on being a true gish (i.e. basically a 10m damage class that uses a mix of saber and force attacks... kinda like the shadow/assassin's tank spec, but single target damage focused. Their weapons would be two lightsabers.

4) Smuggler (Bruiser) / Agent (Extractor): A class with a tank spec and a focus on melee attacks and using dirty tricks to keep the focus on them in a fight. Their primary weapons would be vibroswords/staves with an "offhand" blaster/rifle they use for some 10m attacks (and cut scenes).

But that's just off the top of my head.

You won me with BH's stealth attack.

If Bioware is ever going to introduce a new class, I think it would come in the form of an advance class for an existing base class. Basically avoid the whole needing to add new story content and just have this "Melee healer" be part of the what ever class concept they want to put it as. Sith inquisitor, warrior, bounty hunter, agent and their respective mirrors.

If Bioware is ever going to introduce a new class, I think it would come in the form of an advance class for an existing base class. Basically avoid the whole needing to add new story content and just have this "Melee healer" be part of the what ever class concept they want to put it as. Sith inquisitor, warrior, bounty hunter, agent and their respective mirrors.

If all that's desired is expanded roles, easiest way to do this in terms of tech changes would probably be new specializations. Specializations can already vary in role focus, so maybe you add a 4th specialization to each. Like Sent/Mara Melee Healer, for example (maybe play off of alacrity and make them a strong burst healer). Not sure what would be best for other roles. Could play around with giving a ranged class a melee option in DPS if they already have a 2nd role option. Like give Merc/Mando a melee DPS option or something, since they can already be DPS or Healer. Otherwise, you get into potentially giving somebody another DPS role that is much like the other ones they have (boring) or give them access to all three roles, DPS/Heal/Tank, which might be unfair in terms of class capability/variation. Then again, I spose they already are unfair in that sense, so maybe it would make sense to give access to all three possible roles on some if they were adding another specialization.

Though with them doing tacticals, I don't know if they're ever going to consider expanding actual classes in any capacity. Seems like tacticals are their way of attempting to provide variety on a budget without doing it in the traditional ways.

Yeah, from what I've managed to read so far Smugglers can use Flyby as an aoe heal and damage. Which I hope sticks, that sounds like fun. But yeah adding new specs would be the best way when trying to set up new classes, but tactics do seem to be doing that job for variety.

Yeah but they're not force users so they're irrelevant.

Kodrac, we need your support here for a force using melee healer sub-class to be added to the game.

Could be a marauder subclass, I mean no one plays the dot spec marauder anyway, right? That could be gutted and turned into a melee-healing spec!

Or, how about Lethality Operative, it's been total garbage for years now, make it a spec that isn't just a gimmick and turn it into something people want to play!

Granted this wouldn't be a force user, but hey, with so much dead space amongst the classes they should consider doing some major overhauls on some of the sub-class specs in the game.

Actually I think this is a good idea. Seeing how many specs are garbage and/or just not fun to play, why not strip them down and turn them into something totally different? With new interest in making SWTOR great again, I see this as a possibility!

Kodrac, we need your support here for a force using melee healer sub-class to be added to the game.

Could be a marauder subclass, I mean no one plays the dot spec marauder anyway, right? That could be gutted and turned into a melee-healing spec!

Or, how about Lethality Operative, it's been total garbage for years now, make it a spec that isn't just a gimmick and turn it into something people want to play!

Granted this wouldn't be a force user, but hey, with so much dead space amongst the classes they should consider doing some major overhauls on some of the sub-class specs in the game.

Actually I think this is a good idea. Seeing how many specs are garbage and/or just not fun to play, why not strip them down and turn them into something totally different? With new interest in making SWTOR great again, I see this as a possibility!

Works for me!

Works for me!

:( I was expecting a mean spirited sarcastic retort! (Or was that a sarcastic retort? Hmm.) Or, maybe some in-depth ideas you have regarding what new classes we should be discussing to add to the game. :p

EDIT: No don’t be mean I have enough frenemies on the forums! :D

Edited by Lhancelot

The people suggesting a third advanced class as a work around for creating a whole new class; I think that is a pretty cool idea.

The differences in play styles between advances classes is so different, they implement a blaster rifle using Bounty Hunter or a pistol using agent.

That would be pretty neat and they dont need to recreate storylines or anything. :cool:

Edited by kirorx

The people suggesting a third advanced class as a work around for creating a whole new class; I think that is a pretty cool idea.

The differences in play styles between advances classes is so different, they implement a blaster rifle using Bounty Hunter or a pistol using agent.

That would be pretty neat and they dont need to recreate storylines or anything. :cool:

Exactly my thinking. The big debate is really New Advanced Classes or New Disciplines.

New Disciplines is arguably less resource intensive 8 advanced classes (and mirrors) x 1 discipline is 8 disciplines needing to be created vs. New classes 4 base classes (and mirrors) x 3 disciplines each is 12 disciplines and base mechanics... so probably twice as much work when you consider base mechanics.

BUT... a new advanced class allows for a lot more flexibility of design than just another discipline. You can change the weapons the class uses (a bounty hunter assassin getting rifles/sniper rifles instead of 1-2 pistols) and employ different core mechanics (ex. stealth field generators) instead of having to squeeze every skill for the concept into just the four skills you get from your discipline.

I also think there'd be some issues in terms of adding a new spec type... what does a scoundrel tank spec look like with the pistol/scattergun, stealth generator and upper hand mechanic look like? One of its discipline skills would have to be a gap closer and two others would need to be the taunts since they're not native to the scoundrel chassis. You'd also have to deal with the limited heals the Scoundrel gets that no tank spec has available.

That's why, despite the volume of work needed, I think it'd actually be easier to create and balance out new advanced classes than new specs giving roles a class has never had before. A new class lets you build in all the tools a typical class with a given set of three specs would have using the numbers and general traits common to the existing tank, heal, burst and dot specs.

Exactly my thinking. The big debate is really New Advanced Classes or New Disciplines.

New Disciplines is arguably less resource intensive 8 advanced classes (and mirrors) x 1 discipline is 8 disciplines needing to be created vs. New classes 4 base classes (and mirrors) x 3 disciplines each is 12 disciplines and base mechanics... so probably twice as much work when you consider base mechanics.

BUT... a new advanced class allows for a lot more flexibility of design than just another discipline. You can change the weapons the class uses (a bounty hunter assassin getting rifles/sniper rifles instead of 1-2 pistols) and employ different core mechanics (ex. stealth field generators) instead of having to squeeze every skill for the concept into just the four skills you get from your discipline.

I also think there'd be some issues in terms of adding a new spec type... what does a scoundrel tank spec look like with the pistol/scattergun, stealth generator and upper hand mechanic look like? One of its discipline skills would have to be a gap closer and two others would need to be the taunts since they're not native to the scoundrel chassis. You'd also have to deal with the limited heals the Scoundrel gets that no tank spec has available.

That's why, despite the volume of work needed, I think it'd actually be easier to create and balance out new advanced classes than new specs giving roles a class has never had before. A new class lets you build in all the tools a typical class with a given set of three specs would have using the numbers and general traits common to the existing tank, heal, burst and dot specs.

Essentially this then goes from a complete new class ... to a new sub-class.

I also believe that all of your points are valid !! What OP is looking for would be either a Jedi (Republic side) or Sith .. (Empire side).

Edited …

Edited by OlBuzzard

BH Tracker/Trooper Ranger

"Name" uses it's environment to it's advantage. Expert in traps, snares, and camouflage.

Main weapon: Sniper rifle Off hand: Hatchet

Specials:

Snipe shot-Deadly shot made out of stealth.

Tomahawk throw: Throws hatchet at enemy, applies bleed and snare.

Razornet: Deployable aoe

Seeker droid: heat seeking explosive droid

Mask scent: Reduces threat by a large amount.

Basically it's the scout/ranger/spy/bh from swg.

BH Tracker/Trooper Ranger

"Name" uses it's environment to it's advantage. Expert in traps, snares, and camouflage.

Main weapon: Sniper rifle Off hand: Hatchet

Specials:

Snipe shot-Deadly shot made out of stealth.

Tomahawk throw: Throws hatchet at enemy, applies bleed and snare.

Razornet: Deployable aoe

Seeker droid: heat seeking explosive droid

Mask scent: Reduces threat by a large amount.

Basically it's the scout/ranger/spy/bh from swg.

This is a cool. A ranged stealth class. Me like.

I mean I could see them possibly adding an advanced class to tank classes. But to the poster that said they should get rid of Maras, man you are crazy. There would be a riot. But I honestly, don't see them doing this. But who knows. :D

Also, keep this in mind, that tank if giving healing would be OP as ****! They would have to take into consideration that you have a healer with heavy armor, they would have to disable all his/her defensive cool downs etc. It is not as easy as saying "well we can just take a tank and add a healing tree", it doesn't work like that.

Edited by lightSaberAddiCt

• 1 year later...
So this is definitely something I've been thinking about, where in reality, even though the class story is amazing (seriously Bioware, give us the ability to reset and replay class stories whenever we want instead of forcing us to create new characters), the class story has in turn locked the game, making it a lot more difficult to implement new classes. So essentially, there's one of three ways this could work. The first is create 2 new class stories with 4 new advanced classes (or make it 4 new class stories with 8 advanced clases), OR give each class story a new advanced class. The third option is that once we reach lvl 80, we get the opportunity to advance our class further and essentially be allowed to play a brand new class all together. The first choice would be better overall due to how it would allow players old and new to have even more to experience, BUT it would take a lot more time and resources. The 2nd option is more realistic in that it doesn't require a lot, and would allow Bioware to tweak the algorithm and data to bring in the new advanced classes within the class story. The 3rd option is there so as to allow players to play something new, but it wouldn't mess with previous data, to where this could allow Bioware more variety with the creation of heroic advanced classes without needed to change anything from the past.

Gray Jedi

Same storyline for imp and pub since they decide to choose neither. Storyline basically starts in the Jedi Academy but quickly moves to another world where they have to face obstacles and see the truth. The jedi arent all good and the sith arent all bad. Their abilities will reflect both light and dark.

3 branches: tank, heal, dps

Weapon: vibrosword, lightsabors, knives

This is the way

:rak_03:

I think the class ought to be force sensitive, and for Imperials it could be called "Revanite" and for the Republic the class could be called "Revanite" seeing Revan was both Sith and Jedi at one time. The sub classes could be "Zealot," "Shaman," and "Priest."

This class would have a shamanistic motif, using 2h melee weapons or 1h dual wielded weapons, whatever the player preferred which would be required for their special melee-heals.

This heal class would have special heals which heal on damage (when the Revanite or a friend with the heal on them is attacked) as well as heals that proc as the Revanite lands blows on his enemies. The class would have decent AoE healing capability, too.

They would wear medium armors, typically look like dirty vagabond zealots with layers of clothing on.

The point of this class would be to allow players a chance to play a class that is a primary healer yet is capable of wading into combat and taking hits, with it's heal on contact type healing.

Anyway, I just think a wild-like shamanistic zealot-type class would be neat plus a melee-healing playstyle like the DoK or WP from WAR would be tons of fun. These two classes really were enjoyable to play!

IMO the least resource intensive way to get this done is to get rid of one of the Sent/Mara builds since its the only pure DPS AC in the game. That way you don't have you re-do the game. You could bring in existing skills/animations from Sage/Sorcs, All the dialogues would remain the same. easy peasy

Wrong. Sniper/Gunslinger are also pure DPS.

This sounds a lot like what was rumored to happen with a "Healing Mara/Sent" at the beginning of the game. Supposedly each class was meant to have a heal spec in one advanced class and a tank in the other. We were supposedly also going to get a "Tank Sniper/Slinger" as well. Rumor has it that they were taken out just before the release which was why we had all that weird gear with tank stats for Sniper/Slingers and heal stats for all the Mara/Sent gear at the beginning of the game.

Personally I would like to see a new class but there would be alot of work required to do this due to each class having 3 specs and a full class story to go with it.

However, there is a way around this by splitting the 3 specs to a new design.

In other words, each spec has: Top spec - healer/tank role.

Middle spec - hybrid role ( does decent and equal dmg and whatever their top spec is)

Bottom spec - Pure dps.

For the classes that have 3 dps specs, they could create it into separate ability roles. For example:

Top spec - Concentrates on DOTs

Middle spec - Concentrates on AOE attacks

Bottom spec - Concentrates on Burst Dmg