Under the Hood with SWTOR

DanielSteed

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that would explain the quality of the story for the last few years.

All The Best

Hah.

The problem is that both good writing and bad writing cost about the same. And de gustibus non disputandum.

I didn't find the Knights storylines to be any worse than the rest of SWTOR writing (though I think the lows were a little lower and it never reached the heights of the best of Vanilla). The problem was that it was a Standard Bioware Storyline crammed badly into a Star Wars universe.

This news makes me hopeful the DYN changes enable a less static game world going forward.

There are a few examples of story milestones having a permanent visual effect on the open world environment and it would be really really cool if there would be more of that. One of my pet peeves over the years actually, feels like christmas. :p

As far as the preview window goes, the attacing animations preview is nice, hope it also previews the sound of the weapon.

Edited by aeterno

This would be good IF. in the future we can a preview window for gearing (stat nos with wish list etc).

Something similar to the service Ask Mr.Robot use to give. If this is difficult in game may be paid members could get it here on the Swtor website.

Hello everyone!

Today we’re doing a deep dive behind the Preview Window and another system involving dynamic placeable objects. These topics seemed like a good opportunity to pull back the curtain and explain why we’ve dedicated a good portion of a game update to them. Read on to discover where we could improve, what changed, and what it means for the future. Let us know your thoughts! https://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20190319

question is, is old content will benefit of the DYN's?

Devs,

To get the most functionality and a fully robust preview window, I suggest adding dye slots to each of the 7 armor slots.

The new preview window shows that mainhand and offhand weapon slots each have their own color crystal and weapon tuning slots below the weapon slot. I suggest doing something similar to the armor slots by adding a dye slot to each as well.

Many times individual pieces of armor need to be dyed differently than the chest (sometimes simply inverted colors) to get the right look.

Example: chest = x/y dye, gloves = y/x dye.

If the new preview window only has 1 dye slot, it will most likely retain the same limitations of the old one by unifying colors and the inflexibility of just one dye module color layout. Giving us full control of colors per individual armor piece will make the new preview window a much more powerful tool.

Thank you.

Edited by Laendser

Hah.

The problem is that both good writing and bad writing cost about the same. And de gustibus non disputandum.

On that I disagree with you, and am in agreement with Robert Pirsig:

Quality is a characteristic of thought and sentiment that is recognized by a non-thinking process. Because definitions are a product of rigid, formal thinking quality can not be defined. But even though quality cannot be defined we all know what quality is.

Robert M. Pirsig - Zen & The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance.

KotFE/ET fell well short of the quality of story crafting we saw through most of vanilla (Trooper story being the notable exception - go figure).

All The Best

Very interesting.

REALLY looking forward to the April announcement.

People need to understand, given the difficulty of these changes they are making, this wouldn't have been looked at even a year ago.

To me, this tells me that they are planning a major overhaul of the game. My best guess is with most of EA's potential games getting cancelled (only the one from Respawn seems to have survived), they decided to come back to and reinvest in SWTOR.

Not going to be surprised if the April announcement isn't just an expansion, but a relaunch of sorts.

Think about it - we've gone so long with no one telling us anything, with getting ignored, etc.

Then we finally get the producer we have now, and even as people are leaving, he says to them "look forward to having you back in the future."

Fast forward to now - We now have actual HELP for Eric on the forums (when was the last time ANY community manager had help? NEVER happened.) They are going back and reworking things to not only make development easier, but also things that would have taken a while to fix, complete code re-writes of substantial underlying systems, etc.

Folks, something big is going on, and I can't stop imagining the BioWare SWTOR team is salivating to give us a shocking reveal at Celebration that is going to reignite this MMO....

Folks, something big is going on, and I can't stop imagining the BioWare SWTOR team is salivating to give us a shocking reveal at Celebration that is going to reignite this MMO....

I hope you are right, but I seriously doubt it.

IF you are right they need to announce it while there still someone listening.

When SWTOR was actually good I was in a guild with over 100 active players; I'm now in a guild of 10, and I'm the only semi-active player.

Come April there may not be anyone left to shout about this great "reveal".

All The Best

I hope you are right, but I seriously doubt it.

IF you are right they need to announce it while there still someone listening.

When SWTOR was actually good I was in a guild with over 100 active players; I'm now in a guild of 10, and I'm the only semi-active player.

Come April there may not be anyone left to shout about this great "reveal".

All The Best

Honestly?

Whomever is here now will likely be here in a month. So I really don't buy what you are selling here. If this were being marketed just to in-game people, then they missed the mark already - by about 3 years...

But I don't think something like this, if I am right, is just going to be marketed at the people already playing.

With changes like this, and staff being added, I think you are going to see outreach beyond the game, with actual marketing, advertising, etc.

Let me put it another way - I think you will see the announcement kick off what will be effectively a RE-LAUNCH of the game, and it will be treated like a launch, with all the hoopla and fanfare, and outreach to well beyond just those who have already played.

Like I said - EA doesn't have much in the pipe other than the respawn game; they've shut down multiple other projects, and I believe even BattleFront has been put on ice for a bit, with support for the current game being over making another one.

So where does all that Star Wars money go to?

I would imagine they weighed the costs, need something to show Disney that they aren't just pissing the license away, and they already have a game they own, with a functional microtransaction system that people spend on (EA's preferred model), that if they overhaul it, will be cheaper to "spruce up" than it is to build a new game, and will have quicker results as well, as the bedrock of it is already live.

We'll see, but from a risk/reward scenario, I could see them doubling down, especially now that Anthem as a whole ended up beating critic estimations and was a successful launch for BioWare, thus likely saving the studio...

So where does all that Star Wars money go to?

I would imagine they weighed the costs, need something to show Disney that they aren't just pissing the license away, and they already have a game they own, with a functional microtransaction system that people spend on (EA's preferred model), that if they overhaul it, will be cheaper to "spruce up" than it is to build a new game, and will have quicker results as well, as the bedrock of it is already live.

We'll see, but from a risk/reward scenario, I could see them doubling down, especially now that Anthem as a whole ended up beating critic estimations and was a successful launch for BioWare, thus likely saving the studio...

As much as I'd love for that to happen I don't think we're getting that much of a marginal improvement, I would be damn happy to be proven wrong however. Also wasn't Anthem under-performing? Would you mind giving me a source as to how it beat critic estimations.

It's been over three years… three mighty long years when I decided to leave SWTOR. The feeling wasn't there anymore for me. To the point that I wasn't even making stuff up anymore, to keep myself in the game. I had invested so much of my time into the game for the better part of five years.

After a moment of curiousity and decision to clean house, subscribed to get the functions going to see how the state of affairs was my chars. I had simply forgotten what I dropped.

This update, kinda gives a sense of hope maybe? Not for me in particular but for the diehard fans that remain and might even give hope for others like myself that play anymore but still keep tabs on what's happening.

If Bioware Austin keeps working at( though I add a firm 'FINALLY') fixing the structural issues with the game. There might be some hope I'd come back for a longer time.

Honestly? Whomever is here now will likely be here in a month. So I really don't buy what you are selling here.

lol yeah. I mean the game is at a pretty steady point right now albeit a low one, but a month from now or 5 months from now, the crowd of listening ears isn't going to be drastically different.

I also agree that some of the stuff they are planning to develop isn't light work. I am just worried. I am worried they are too busy trying to develop new stuff when much of the old stuff really needs some serious attention.

I wish I could assume these changes they are proposing are coming with bug fixes, and some other not-yet-listed changes, like class ability changes. The present meta is old, many are tired of seeing the same classes on top while the same weak classes have been in the dumpster for 2-3 years now.

These quality of life changes and the added polish could prove nice, but only along side some other things that are necessary to be improved upon for improved gameplay.

Lipstick looks great, however no amount of lipstick looks good on a pig.

I agree on something big could be happening, I mean Casey teased it himself and these changes they done to the game after so mang years, are great. They wouldn’t be spending so much on making these important elements be better if they didn’t have some good stuff coming in. Just getting more story content is enough for me though!

For the one asking on Anthem sales, it actually is Bioware 2nd best opening game in sales according to NPD, behind Mass Effect 3 and it was the top seller of that month. So its doing ok considering all the negativity people brought about it.

There’s also rumors of the world old republic being done in a movie soon, probably Kotor, so if that happens, they do want to have this game ready for that boost in interest.

lol yeah. I mean the game is at a pretty steady point right now albeit a low one, but a month from now or 5 months from now, the crowd of listening ears isn't going to be drastically different.

5 months from now, it might be different. But just a few weeks from now? Unless they release the worst possible patch in history during these weeks until Star Wars Celebration hits there is no way another massive exodus would happen to the point where an announcement would be completely and utterly useless.

I also agree that some of the stuff they are planning to develop isn't light work. I am just worried. I am worried they are too busy trying to develop new stuff when much of the old stuff really needs some serious attention.

Agreed, it's a shame that while the Devs acknowledged they've screwed up in regards to gearing in 5.10 that they are not doing changes as of yet.

I agree on something big could be happening, I mean Casey teased it himself and these changes they done to the game after so mang years, are great. They wouldn’t be spending so much on making these important elements be better if they didn’t have some good stuff coming in. Just getting more story content is enough for me though!

Yeah, the Casey has said things about SWTOR... in years does gives me hope they haven't fully dropped the idea, so to speak. And with the new quality of life updates hopefully we'll still get more SWTOR for years to come.

For the one asking on Anthem sales, it actually is Bioware 2nd best opening game in sales according to NPD, behind Mass Effect 3 and it was the top seller of that month. So its doing ok considering all the negativity people brought about it.

All right, I've seen a lot of reviews but talking exclusively profits do you have a source for it? I'm not trying to be overly cynical. I just would like to know your sources so I can educate myself as I was under the impression it was actually under-performing, and I remember some link in these forums about how Anthem apparently had hurt EA's stock or something of the sorts.

There’s also rumors of the world old republic being done in a movie soon, probably Kotor, so if that happens, they do want to have this game ready for that boost in interest.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade but hasn't this been happening for a while? Rumors regarding a KOTOR movie and all of that by the GOT producers, not saying it's not possible but I would take this with a grain of salt until we get a confirmation.

To me, this tells me that they are planning a major overhaul of the game. My best guess is with most of EA's potential games getting cancelled (only the one from Respawn seems to have survived), they decided to come back to and reinvest in SWTOR.

If that would be true, they wouldn't need so much time for their updates. It very much looks like they can only work on one thing at a time right now. From December to February, they worked on the OPs boss on Ossus. From February to April they work on the new window and heraldry system (I assume they could do both together, in one go).

If they have something really big in the pipeline, I think it is a huge marketing mistake to keep this secret for so long. How many players quit alone in 2019, because of issues and nothing much left to do?

If they knew something "big" last summer (when the announcement came that 2019 would be "the most exciting" (was that the correct quote?) year of the game), then why wait to market it until (maybe) April 2019?

No. I highly doubt that the game suddenly has a lot of new budget and/or resources. But I don't mind being wrong on this one.

Will we finally be able to see how items look ingame. Some items have an annoying gloss effect from the shader.Will we be able to see it with the new system or we still guessing.also why do capes and coats still stick to the legs all this is pointless if they still stick.Why is it like this in the first place.When will stupid clipping issues like items clipping with themselves be fixed??!!?Dont hit me with the we dont know about such issues i myself sent you a detailed bug report with ways to recreate.Female body type 2 is a mess fix your game before you adding new things.This is neat but not even remotely vital.And you have many of problems that are vital to be fixed.

fix your game before you adding new things.This is neat but not even remotely vital.And you have many of problems that are vital to be fixed.

The article fairly clearly states that the new preview window is basically a side effect of them cleaning up several messy subsystems that have needed fixing for a long time now.

Remember, what we see is but a fraction of what's going on in the engine.