Amplifiers: What are the best ones?

Annuminas

Hey

Does the armor penetration amp do anything for marauders? Or should i go for the weapon damage amp?

Cant figure out if the armor penetration works for us or not, cause 2.5% is quite a lot of armor pen especially if u stack it.

Anyone any insights?

Armor pen would be more useful for Carnage and Fury than Annihilation because of the former two's reliance on white damage.

That being said I would recommend using Weapon Expertise as it's more consistent than Armor Pen. From what I've heard about the Armor Pen amps, they're more effective against classes with low armor which kinda defeats the purpose.

Also, I'd recommend Alpha Strike if big damage out the gate is more important, like in SR.

• 4 weeks later...

First I’ll explain the damage types. There are kinetic, energy, internal, and elemental. Now kinetic/energy are basically the same thing and internal/elemental are the same thing.

Armor gives you damage reduction for kinetic/energy attacks but does nothing to internal/elemental. In other words kinetic/energy goes against armor while internal/elemental ignores armor.

Now all white damage is kinetic/energy. And generally dots are internal/elemental (some exceptions here) but you will need to look at the tool tip for your major yellow abilities to see what kind of damage they do.

For classes that have mixed yellow/white armor pen may be the way to go. For all one color damage further testing may be needed. Ex mm sniper armor pen vs weapon damage to see what does more. Again tho different classes have different armor values and remember armor pen is a %. There is also PvP vs PvE differences here.

For your specific question though. Currently for carnage and fury, I would recommend armor pen. With carnage tactical though, can change the play style a bit so I’d choice one based on that.

Edited by Ld-Siris

First I’ll explain the damage types. There are kinetic, energy, internal, and elemental. Now kinetic/energy are basically the same thing and internal/elemental are the same thing.

Armor gives you damage reduction for kinetic/energy attacks but does nothing to internal/elemental. In other words kinetic/energy goes against armor while internal/elemental ignores armor.

Now all white damage is kinetic/energy. And generally dots are internal/elemental (some exceptions here) but you will need to look at the tool tip for your major yellow abilities to see what kind of damage they do.

For classes that have mixed yellow/white armor pen may be the way to go. For all one color damage further testing may be needed. Ex mm sniper armor pen vs weapon damage to see what does more. Again tho different classes have different armor values and remember armor pen is a %. There is also PvP vs PvE differences here.

For your specific question though. Currently for carnage and fury, I would recommend armor pen. With carnage tactical though, can change the play style a bit so I’d choice one based on that.

Armor pen for Carnage? A spec where almost 50% of it's damage completely ignores Armor? Weapon damage is about 8-9% increase for Carnage - literally the only thing that isn't affected is Devastating Blast. Armor Pen gives about 4% increase - the only thing that is affected is Massacre and Ataru Strikes.

Edited by Equeliber

Armor pen for Carnage? A spec where almost 50% of it's damage completely ignores Armor? Weapon damage is about 8-9% increase for Carnage - literally the only thing that isn't affected is Devastating Blast. Armor Pen gives about 4% increase - the only thing that is affected is Massacre and Ataru Strikes.

As I said albeit unclearly, it would depend on the tactical you use. Assuming base carnage no tactical armor pen for abilities under ferocity is wasted. So that’s 3 abilities under berserk window and 2 under non berserk. In this case weapon damage would be a greater increase. However there are several tacticals that it could upon testing that armor pen is better.

Sorry for any confusion. It appears I had an unfinished thought above.

Edited by Ld-Siris

What you're saying is not true?!. It's nowhere near 50% of carnage abilities "already ignores armour". A fallacy statement.

To the OP, AP is a better increase in DPS compared to straight up weapon damage, I cant remember off the top of my head to what value it's better - but for carnage AP is your better choice at least initially. Im sure you can google it or figure it out. Saying this, you can't go wrong with weapon damage, and you dont have to think about min-maxing going that route. Will also be better if you try annhi spec etc

What you're saying is not true?!. It's nowhere near 50% of carnage abilities "already ignores armour". A fallacy statement.

To the OP, AP is a better increase in DPS compared to straight up weapon damage, I cant remember off the top of my head to what value it's better - but for carnage AP is your better choice at least initially. Im sure you can google it or figure it out. Saying this, you can't go wrong with weapon damage, and you dont have to think about min-maxing going that route. Will also be better if you try annhi spec etc

Stop spreading misinformation. Armor Penetration is in no way even near Weapon Damage amp.

If you count all the damage you do inside Ferocity, you will see around a 50/50 split. So yes, roughly 50% of your damage is already ignoring Armor (every single Vicious Throw, Devastating Blast, Gore and Ravage).

Edited by Equeliber

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
seems amplifiers are in a weird state right now, armor pen should really increase any dmg that is white dmg or yellow(kinetic/energy only) but it doesnt. read the tooltip on the amplifier(kinetic and energy dmg), dont know if its literally as it says or not. after removing all my weapon expertise amps my furious strikes were hitting 10k less on average. After adding 20% armor pen instead my raging bursts went from 48k to around 58k, so you trade one for another. Seems to me that having extra dmg on not only furious strike but ravage,viscous slash and obliterate works out better, in pvp anyway.I havew not the time to do extensive tests. For pve it might be different after adding in all factors like force crush, dot added from ravage, smash for aoe etc for better sustained. Needs to be tested further methinks