Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Seven.

Siorac
01.24.2013 , 09:50 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Savej View Post
Spread out. Smash has one ot the smallest aoes in the game.
5 meters. That means, in theory, that two people standing 9.99 meters away from each other can both get hit.

The other day I was up against a four-smasher team in Voidstar. Right at the start of the defending phase we jumped down, I was following the healer I was guarding; the enemy started focusing him so I Guardian Leaped, AoE taunted and was preparing to push, Awe, slow etc.

What happened was that all FOUR smashers smashed at the same time so I basically ate 6 smashes (4 normal ones and 4 x 0.5 because of Guard). I died immediately. In one GCD. No other class can do that. It would have taken far longer for even four Pyros.

JP_Legatus
01.24.2013 , 09:57 AM | #22
The solution is obviously to stack lightning sorcs
Plaje - 65 PVP Assassin
http://www.twitch.tv/plajje

Lionflash
01.24.2013 , 10:05 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Siorac View Post
What happened was that all FOUR smashers smashed at the same time so I basically ate 6 smashes (4 normal ones and 4 x 0.5 because of Guard). I died immediately. In one GCD. No other class can do that. It would have taken far longer for even four Pyros.
True, but outside of smash/sweep their other abilities aren't nearly as powerful as other classes and it's all filler until their next smash.

But maybe that is where the problem lies. It's the ability to enter combat with huge frontloaded and initial damage, which gives an advantage too early for the others to come back from.

TonyDragonflame
01.24.2013 , 10:17 AM | #24
Baddies always stand close in compact packs, like mobs

NogueiraA
01.24.2013 , 10:19 AM | #25
Are you blaming players because of Bioware's fault? The Devs has NO CLUE how to balance the game.

Do not hate the player, hate the Dev.

TUXs
01.24.2013 , 10:21 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by TonyDragonflame View Post
Baddies always stand close in compact packs, like mobs
By "baddies", do you mean the players trying to cap a node or melee guys trying to focus a healer? The games design promotes the behavior...doesn't make people in packs "bads".
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Siorac
01.24.2013 , 10:29 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Lionflash View Post
True, but outside of smash/sweep their other abilities aren't nearly as powerful as other classes and it's all filler until their next smash.

But maybe that is where the problem lies. It's the ability to enter combat with huge frontloaded and initial damage, which gives an advantage too early for the others to come back from.
4k Blade Storm, 5k Dispatch, 2-3k Slashes (no cooldown!), 3k Zealous Leap and Force Exhaustion itself does pretty decent damage. Oh and there's Master Strike.

These abilities are fillers only compared to Smash/Sweep. But by that measure Vigilance spec consists of filler only.

Lionflash
01.24.2013 , 10:44 AM | #28
4k Blade Storm, 5k Dispatch, 2-3k Slashes (no cooldown!), 3k Zealous Leap and Force Exhaustion itself does pretty decent damage. Oh and there's Master Strike.

These abilities are fillers only compared to Smash/Sweep. But by that measure Vigilance spec consists of filler only.
Classes like the Trooper Vanguard: Tactics / Bounty Hunter Powertech: Advanced Prototype have access to a 30% damage reduction from AoE. As well as all Marauders / Sentiels (I say all because 'Defensive Roll' is on the 2nd tier and is accessed by all specs; seems like everyone should take it)

Maybe a solution could be to give other melee classes like the Operative and the Shadow a similar talent.

I guess in my head I was comparing it to my Gunslinger (because I've been playing him recently). Whose abilities (sorry I don't have average numbers off the top of my head) Charged Burst, Trick Shot, Aimed Shot, Speed Shot, Quickshot are all huge chucks of sustained damage.

The Focus spec always looks like a heart monitor; it has peaks (the sweep).

WannaSpoon
01.24.2013 , 10:45 AM | #29

Also 3k-4k screams, but to be fair for the sake of argument these numbers are all critical and a properly geared smash should have very low critical rating.

Siorac
01.24.2013 , 10:52 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaSpoon View Post
Also 3k-4k screams, but to be fair for the sake of argument these numbers are all critical and a properly geared smash should have very low critical rating.
Scream = Blade Storm.

Slash and Dispatch have an increased critical chance, Insight gives you 6% extra Force critical chance; if you have about 22-25% crit chance (Smuggler/Agent buff included) most of these abilities will crit frequently enough. Many classes rely on 33-35% crit chance for big hitters and you can easily achieve that in Focus with Slash and Dispatch, and a little below that with Blade Storm.

Also, with that much power these abilities hit pretty hard even when they do not crit.