Bugs/Concerns with EV (Normal 8-man)

Just ran 8-man EV today for the first time and had a blast all the way up to the last fight. We didn't understand the falling mechanic well but after a few runs, it was no issue.

The issue we did have is that during the 2nd phase, Soa would toss someone up in the air just as we'd bring him to 30% making him invulnerable and the floor would start to fall while this person was trapped in the air. They would never make it back to us and ended up being essentially locked out of the fight. Not really sure if this mechanic is supposed to work this way.

We fixed it by not DPSing the Boss the last few percent while someone was in the air and so we made it to the 3rd phase decently consistent with a full group.

In Phase 3, the biggest concern we had was that the boss would reset for apparently no reason. The 2 times it happened, we figured it was because we hit the max amount of time (boss was enraged for quite a bit). Our last time running it though (never completed because of this bug) but Soa reset the moment we hit 3rd Phase and we arrived at the appropriate time so there really is no cause for the bug.

I imagine this is a bug since there is no logical reason why the boss should disappear the moment we start Phase 3.

Happy with the Ops, not happy with the issues we encountered with Soa. I'm informing BioWare of this matter in case they didn't already know about it.

Edited by Aythful

We have yet to reach the floor alive after 3 runs. There is this one platform that is always missing. Only exception was the first try after firstkilling each boss.

We just move on to Karagga now, no use in farming repcosts without a chance to finish the encounter.

We have yet to reach the floor alive after 3 runs. There is this one platform that is always missing. Only exception was the first try after firstkilling each boss.

We just move on to Karagga now, no use in farming repcosts without a chance to finish the encounter.

Did you try getting your whole op team out & resetting the instance after wiping on Soa?

The floor being missing is a very common bug after a wipe but almost always sorted by way of a reset after wipe.

The issue we did have is that during the 2nd phase, Soa would toss someone up in the air just as we'd bring him to 30% making him invulnerable and the floor would start to fall while this person was trapped in the air. They would never make it back to us and ended up being essentially locked out of the fight. Not really sure if this mechanic is supposed to work this way.

We fixed it by not DPSing the Boss the last few percent while someone was in the air and so we made it to the 3rd phase decently consistent with a full group.

What you describe here is not a bug but a feature of the fight & you "fixed it" in the intended way.

J

In Phase 3, the biggest concern we had was that the boss would reset for apparently no reason. The 2 times it happened, we figured it was because we hit the max amount of time (boss was enraged for quite a bit). Our last time running it though (never completed because of this bug) but Soa reset the moment we hit 3rd Phase and we arrived at the appropriate time so there really is no cause for the bug.

I imagine this is a bug since there is no logical reason why the boss should disappear the moment we start Phase 3.

Soa does despawn after being enraged for a while, there was supposedly a fix put in to stop him despawning when the tank had been mind-trapped but Soa does memory-blur & if nobody is on his threat list for long enough he will despawn. You should always be on the ground on phase 3 before Soa is.

Soa does despawn after being enraged for a while, there was supposedly a fix put in to stop him despawning when the tank had been mind-trapped but Soa does memory-blur & if nobody is on his threat list for long enough he will despawn. You should always be on the ground on phase 3 before Soa is.

That fix didn't work though, and neither did the fix they implemented this week. we still had SOA reset on phase 3 while our tank was in Mindtraps. (we now bring a 2nd tank to taunt him should the MT be mindtrapped)

The problem we kept running into is that if anyone died at the end of phase two they were un-rezable. I can't in any way imagine that this is a designed plan. As a person who died (ate a double lightning ball right before invulnerable) I saw my corpse at the bottom, could still see the pillars when they would fall, but couldn't see anything else, nor could my party target me (but could see me on the minimap).

Also did you know there is more than one SOA in the game? When I submitted a bug ticket about not being rezable I was responded to with 'What zone did this happen in, blah blah blah. Please send us an email' and the ticket was closed. No clue where to send the email to, but I hope the encounter gets fixed soon.

What you describe here is not a bug but a feature of the fight & you "fixed it" in the intended way.

The issue is that our solution was 100% workable. Because we had everyone on the ground and non-mind trappped so we DPSed Soa down and at the last second as we hit him to invulnerable he threw someone in the air and that was person was gone for the rest of the fight.

I definitely don't think they intended for that, I have to agree with the others. If they do intend for it, then he should not mindtrap or throw anybody up just prior to going invulnerable.

There were plenty of times in the final phase where out MT got mind trapped and the fight didn't reset, he just jumped on our secondary tank. I did notice the final time we attempted he reset immediately and this might be because he mind trapped out MT, while our second was dead from the throwing issue in the 2nd phase.

We were always on the ground before Soa waiting for him, so no issues there.

-----------------------------------

We're just moving on over to KP for now, as we're told it's less buggy. I really hope BioWare just makes this Soa fight a little more consistent without making it less challenging.

Edited by Aythful

Did you try getting your whole op team out & resetting the instance after wiping on Soa?

The floor being missing is a very common bug after a wipe but almost always sorted by way of a reset after wipe.

No, we didn't try that. If we do so, will we start at Soa? Or have to do it all again? (I am aware that this is probably a dumb question, just cant put the finger on why that is. Must be the extended team meeting of tonight:D )

Yes, Soa has bugs.

No, he is not impossible to complete. All of the bugs(if they are bugs, some could just be mechanics) can be worked through.

If you wipe on Soa, just reset the instance everytime, this will usually prevent missing floor pieces. (This is an obvious bug)

When you are in Phase 2 and he hits between 35-40% be aware of where everyone is, if you just had someone come down from cyclone then you should be safe, if nobody has been picked up recently have the raid slow/stop DPS until it happens. If someone is in the air, the trick is WAIT for them to drop and THEN DPS the boss past 30%. This is the easiest bug to work through IMO, just be aware of what the boss is doing and where each person in your group is. Personally I have my Ops members call out when they get put into the air, I am usally too busy calling out ball lightning and mind traps. (This might actually be working as intended/ maybe its not a bug but a mechanic.)

As for phase 3 with Soa resetting:

My ops group runs with 2 tanks. We do this even for Hard Modes.

If the MT gets mind trapped the OT should taunt the boss, they should also be on the bosses aggro table already to prevent instant despawns.

If someone just taunts him when the MT gets trapped it shouldnt pose any issues.

(this is half bugged/half intended. I think Soa is supposed to Mind Trap the tank, but I dont think he is supposed to reset.)

Once the mechanics are mastered the fight really is trivial. My 2nd group of fresh raiders 1 shotted him last night.

For those of you guys running normals just a tip for when you get to hard modes: Learn to identify where ball lightning is coming from and get rid of them quickly, if you can get the hang of this in normals you will be a step ahead in Hard Mode.

I set up a pug to do EV yesterday we encountered all the problems mentioned here. But we did work out that we should reset after wipes and not to take Soa under 30% while someone was in the air or in a mind trap. I think it took us about 12+ attempts to get it right and for it not to bug at the same time so we could take him down.

I just can't imagine that dying at the end of phase 2 and not being rezable is a 'mechanic'

Well you aren't supposed to die in the first place.

If a raid member gets stuck at the bottom or no one can see them to rez, proceed with the encounter without them. My guild has done Soa with 2 DPS out several times; it CAN be done without a person. Once the boss is dead, do NOT loot. Have the missing members medcenter and come back into the instance. They should either spawn in the instance at the bottom of the floor with the rest of the raid, or taxi back to the Pylons, run to Soa's room, fall to the bottom (and die) and there you can rez them.

Well you aren't supposed to die in the first place.

If a raid member gets stuck at the bottom or no one can see them to rez, proceed with the encounter without them. My guild has done Soa with 2 DPS out several times; it CAN be done without a person. Once the boss is dead, do NOT loot. Have the missing members medcenter and come back into the instance. They should either spawn in the instance at the bottom of the floor with the rest of the raid, or taxi back to the Pylons, run to Soa's room, fall to the bottom (and die) and there you can rez them.

Really? Obviously you shouldn't die. But dying shouldn't prevent the rest from proceeding. I am glad your group can do the fight with 6 people, not every group can.