[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using Windows 7 with enough video memory and/or RAM:

1. Set Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode

2. Enjoy High resolution textures

3. Patiently await official patch

Why this works is explained here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=114264&page=10

Works fine for me, should work fine for most other ppl too

False, this has no influence on textures. Still medium.

Nice tip but game won't start for me at all with the compatibility setting (Win7 x64 Home Premium, Ati 5850).

Edit: Now it starts but nothing's changed :o

Edited by Mc_TheRipper

2 x 6950 4GB VRAM

16 GB DDR3

i7 proc @4GHz

1920x1080 on 40" LCD

It does not work and it will not work until they patch and fix this buggy, clunky game.

Using digitalmea :) list as a template:

Windows 7

1. Set Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode (on both "launcher".exe and "game".exe)

2. Disable Superfetch (useless windows service while playing SWTOR as it consumes alot of memory and youll need all the memory you can squeeze from your computer/portable). Mind you Windows 7 Superfetch is far better than Windows Vista but just Disable it :).

How to disable:

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/disable-windows-7-superfetch/

3. Disable Shaders (they dont work atm anyways and this in turn increases your FPS)

4. Set Shadows to low (useless while high-textures arent up to par). Increases FPS.

5. Enjoy High resolution textures

6. Patiently await official patch

Windows 7

1. Set Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode (on both "launcher".exe and "game".exe)

2. Disable Superfetch (useless windows service while playing SWTOR as it consumes alot of memory and youll need all the memory you can squeeze from your computer/portable). Mind you Windows 7 Superfetch is far better than Windows Vista but just Disable it :).

How to disable:

3. Disable Shaders (they dont work atm anyways and this in turn increases your FPS)

4. Set Shadows to low (useless while high-textures arent up to par). Increases FPS.

Doesn't work for everyone, but thanks.

Windows 7

How to disable:

LOL

Please move on, nothing to see here.

DO NOT go to this website. There's a ton of malware on this website (Thank you Norton 360).

To disable: control panel - admin stuff - services - find the superfetch - stop the service (and disable it). (And everyone above me is right; disabling this doesn't do much at all.)

Edited by Sabster

Um, no.

Seriously, do you think we'd have 100+ page threads on this issue if it was that simple to fix?

lol

So bioware, why do you guys let this happen? All the misinformation. Advertising with highres texture and then they are not ingame. We would like to have clarification regarding your latest steps on this, please. Thanks! Edited by Ommm

Um, no.

Seriously, do you think we'd have 100+ page threads on this issue if it was that simple to fix?

lol

Well, the main the problem being this forum doesn't offer a search function, and this solution hasnt been mentioned in this thread, so yes. There are a lot of ppl in the other thread telling it worked for them, but not all (maybe due to specs or other settings, I can only speculate). And this only works in Windows 7, because appearantly it uses RAM as extra video memory, but for more information I would really need to refer you to the source article, this guy obviously knows a lot more about it.

And I think we can all agree by now this issue has to do with video memory not being used. It worked great for me, so it should at least work for some others.

Edited by digitalmea

So bioware, why do you guys let this happen? All the misinformation. Advertising with highres texture and then they are not ingame. We would like to have clarification regarding your latest steps on this, please. Thanks!

This is actually what annoys me the most, that in all their game footage graphics has been much better and Jedi Knights was shown with their hoods down etc. But then came the beta weekends and I was shocked how bad the game looked compared to the footage shown on trailers etc. Someone reassured me that the beta client was a stripped client without most features and the launch client would not disappoint.

But now we are almost a month past the release and the game still does not have high textures and Jedi Knights does not look anything like they did on trailers. So that brings me to believe that marketing from Bioware is almost lies and trickery.

I really just do not understand how they can show trailers with great quality, and release a product that is not as advertised.

It is a frustrating issue. Also I noticed (this may have been mentioned, who knows with this many posts) that if you preview armor it looks meh (again, medium texture quality) but if you tab to a companion you can see it in high rez. My armor looks SOOO much nicer/cooler/better on my companions than it does on ME! At least in the preview pane.

And to elaborate on a mention the post above me... my kingdom to put my damn hood down! And to toggle off companion helms/hoods! It sucks! I want to see the faces!

Edited by JediCahlwyn

So bioware, why do you guys let this happen? All the misinformation. Advertising with highres texture and then they are not ingame. We would like to have clarification regarding your latest steps on this, please. Thanks!

Response coming soon, but lets keep this thread going strong regardless.

Well, the main the problem being this forum doesn't offer a search function, and this solution hasnt been mentioned in this thread, so yes. There are a lot of ppl in the other thread telling it worked for them, but not all (maybe due to specs or other settings, I can only speculate). And this only works in Windows 7, because appearantly it uses RAM as extra video memory, but for more information I would really need to refer you to the source article, this guy obviously knows a lot more about it.

And I think we can all agree by now this issue has to do with video memory not being used. It worked great for me, so it should at least work for some others.

What have work great for you ?!

You still do not have HIGH RESOLUTION TEXTURES !

This is the problem with game engine, not Windows 7, not ATI, not nVidia, not Windows XP, not drivers.

I am sure that you want to help, but this "fixes" do not do anything to enable HIGH RESOLUTION TEXTURES

Edited by Arkulin

What have work great for you ?!

You still do not have HIGH RESOLUTION TEXTURES !

This is the problem with game engine, not Windows 7, not ATI, not nVidia, not Windows XP, not drivers.

I am sure that you want to help, but this "fixes" do not do squat to enable HIGH RESOLUTION TEXTURES

Ok, if this has not been clear to you: I do have high resolution textures in game since I changed this setting, so this has been a good workaround for me (and some others). No need to shout at me for providing a solution. I can post a screenshot for you, but I am currently at work, and it's not worth getting fired over.