BoP has got to go

I was on Esseles today as a Commando with two Gunslingers and a Guardian. An Esseles Trooper Chestpiece dropped and the Guardian, God knows why, rolled "need" on it and won. He later offered to trade it to me but could not because it was apparently bind on Pick-up. That needs to stop. If cool gear drops, it should be freely tradable between group members.

I had the exact thing happen to me in the beta, but it wasn't an accident. The guy even defended himself, saying "I wear heavy armor too". I didn't make a big deal out of it, because it was the beta, but still he didn't need the damn Aim! So even if there was a trade option, I wasn't getting that piece regardless.

It really comes down to people just being a little knowledgable about things. I think as the player base gets more savy, issues like this will become rarer. And in those cases where it still happens, a trade option isn't going to do much.

There is alot of needing on heavy armor by any class that can wear heavy armor just because the game mechanics are not widely known.

I play a SJ and have been out "needed" by BH's on strength heavy because they see heavy and click need because they do not understand that the armor the are gaining is not worth the aim they are trading it for.

I wish they would get rid of BoP as well. I'm all for being able to trade any gear that drops. If they feel the gear would be traded too much, then they just need to reduce the drop rate of the purples. Yeah it sucks, but it also makes CRAFTERS more valuable.

People are still getting used there characters so mistakes will happen, also they could have selected need for the companion or just be a loot Jawa.

I would prefer a PUG mode for loot where you may only role Need if you can equip that item on your character and the main stat eg aim or str matches your class.

Also add a separate companion need button (rated above greed) if any of your companions can use that item.

Most of the issues with loot can be eliminated by simply grouping with more experienced players or friends though, I hardly ever pug but if I do I would like more security in the future.

Wouldn't say "Got to go" but it would be nice to trade it to group members for like 2 hours or something, but why did he need it?

What's the POINT of immediate BoP? It DOES need to go. BoE; or BoTime[iE: BoP but after a x amount of time; until then its tradeable) as it prevents drama from misrolls and the such.

I understand the bind on pickup need. The devs do not want the market flooded with top level gear that people are farming. With that said the best BOP method I have seen is the pickup becomes perminant when you leave the instance mission. So, if a bop item drops it can be freely traded while still in the instance. The second you leave, the person holding the item keeps it. That way an accidental pickup is not immediately perminant, but you can not farm instances either.

What's the POINT of immediate BoP? It DOES need to go. BoE; or BoTime[iE: BoP but after a x amount of time; until then its tradeable) as it prevents drama from misrolls and the such.

It still relies on the person who won to willingly trade the item though, so ninjas will still happen, I am going to be using master looter in my groups from now on though.

That is why I sorta liked when WoW implemented its 2 hour rule. Even if you got a BOP with an accidental need roll, or bought a piece you did not want on accident, you could give it up to anyone who was in that group or sell it back within 2 active game hours after getting it. Ninjas will still take **** they dont need just to be D bags, but it still comes in handy for incidents such as the OP's.

It still relies on the person who won to willingly trade the item though, so ninjas will still happen, I am going to be using master looter in my groups from now on though.

Didn't say anything about ninjas; I'm talking about people wanting to click 'pass' and accidently clicking roll. I absolutely HATE pug's not because the fear of someone 'ninjalooting' but for a friend/guildy/etc who accidently rolls on something they can't use.

I think it's an honest mistake to roll on any heavy armor, especially in the first major grouped content, so having a "learning curve" buffer would be nice. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that he just thought "ooo, heavy armor, I wear heavy armor!" and clicked.

You know what would be nice, a "curated" need/greed mode, one where any Trooper that rolls need on +Aim heavy armor automatically beats any non-trooper, while any Guardian that rolls on +Str heavy armor beats any non-Guardian, and so on. "greed" rolls would not be effected because those would be for companions and selling and stuff, but if you roll need, it should weigh the results based on actual need.

Dont forget the rolling need because a companion could use it.

Has only happened to me once, and frankly i couldnt be bothered that much but i hope it isnt a herald of things to come.

Yeah so far I've been with decent pugs when it comes to rolling but I can't help feeling that people will eventually roll need everything for companions. Hopefully that will be considered 'bad form' by the community (well the decent members anyway).

Companions are not simple "pets" in SWTOR, they are just like additional item slots for your character during the leveling period. That makes rolling need on items they can use very logical.

For example, as a healer, I NEED my main companion to be geared up properly and I see no problem rolling on items they can use. If I don't, my companion will be a low greens all the time and questing will become painful.

That said, people can talk, so if a guy asks for a specific loot beforehand for example, I don't see a problem usually.

I think people are not yet in the mentality required to understand how companions work so you will have people complaining. However, that will probably change over time.

Of course, we're talking leveling period here, not level 50 heroic stuff.

Aside all that, the 2 hour trade rule among party members is indeed needed. Mistakes happen and such penalty, especially for players only play once in a while (and therefore no time to run flash-points multiple times), is really severe for no reason.

Edited by Kemorand

Companions are not simple "pets" in SWTOR, they are just like additional item slots for your character during the leveling period. That makes rolling need on items they can use very logical.

For example, as a healer, I NEED my main companion to be geared up properly and I see no problem rolling on items they can use. If I don't, my companion will be a low greens all the time and questing will become painful.

Unfortunately later on people will have 5 companions and will be able to NEED on all gear because one of them could use it.

Need has to be "My character needs this" or people will need on everything.

I just hope they'll implement a system that removes the ability to press need on stuff your character can't use or isn't made for.

BoP needs to stay. Can't have too much great gear tradeable as it promotes gold selling/buying. However, I would be totally cool with having a window of time to trade between group members when an item drops.

In the end though, not much you can do with some people in PuGs. I'm sure accidents happen from time to time and for those times, being able to trade within group is a good thing. But some people will ninja no matter what, and its really not possible to regulate that. Just hope you hear of their reputation before engaging with them.

BoP needs to stay. Can't have too much great gear tradeable as it promotes gold selling/buying. However, I would be totally cool with having a window of time to trade between group members when an item drops.

Absolutely agree. If you look how much gold the BoE Epics from Firelands Trash cost on AH in WoW you see that removing BoP would ONLY promote goldselling. There might be even people who outgear the instance and still doing it for selling the stuff dropping there.

Some items were going for 40000 gold and more. Which is an awful lot in that game (I would say like 100000 credits or such in SWTOR).

But as many others I adovcate to implement WoW's BoP-system where you still can trade a BoP you got, but only to the people who were with you in the instance, and only for 2h (after that the BoP gets permanent, also modding/enchanting the item makes it permanent).

Added to this I would like it to be like in the new LFR Loot system at WoW - where people for whom the item is better "suited" get a bonus to their roll. For some items actually several rolls get the bonus (for example if an item good for tanks and DDs drops, they both get the bonus while healers do not get the bonus).

Edited by Kesitah

Had this happen last night, sage rolled need on my double bladed lightsaber, Aion had a good system for this, after loot is distributed there was a 5 minute window where you could trade the item between group members incase of someone winning something by mistake or whatever

Imho the need button should be deactivated for anything clearly not meant for your class, for example +strength heavy armor only need-able by Warriors/Knights etc. That would also solve the issue when some guy thinks he's clever rolling need for one of his companions when a player needs an item for his actual character.