Question about a kind of 'solo' guild flagship

Davie_Murphy

Played from beta but never tried this although I have always thought about it - for RP purposes have a flagship. Could I, in theory, get the group number required to start a guild and then simply purchase a flagship? Could I also allow my alts to join the same guild in order to use it?

Played from beta but never tried this although I have always thought about it - for RP purposes have a flagship. Could I, in theory, get the group number required to start a guild and then simply purchase a flagship? Could I also allow my alts to join the same guild in order to use it?

First part: yes, of course. The price is, however, not reduced for miniature guilds.

Second part: It's your guild, so why would you forbid it?

More seriously, no, not by yourself. The game mechanics allow multiple characters from the same account to be members of the same guild, but you can only invite a character that is on-line. If you have access to a second PC, you could create an F2P account and add one of its characters to the guild, then give that character recruiting rights and have it recruit the characters on your main account.

And don't forget that guilds are still, at the moment, monofaction. (No, I have no special knowledge about the future evolution of the guild system, but I'm unwilling to assert that we will never see cross-faction guilds.

Edited by SteveTheCynic
typo

First part: yes, of course. The price is, however, not reduced for miniature guilds.

Second part: It's your guild, so why would you forbid it?

More seriously, no, not by yourself. The game mechanics allow multiple characters from the same account to be members of the same guild, but you can only invite a character that is on-line. If you have access to a second PC, you could create an F2P account and add one of its characters to the guild, then give that character recruiting rights and have it recruit the characters on your main account.

And don't forget that guilds are still, at the moment, monofaction. (No, I have no special knowledge about the future evolution of the guild system, but I'm unwilling to assert that we will never see cross-faction guilds.

Ah ok, cheers. So basically if I wanted to do it for RP characters it would only really be that particular character who had access to the ship, out with the difficulty you mentioned? How much is it to commission a flagship these days?

Ah ok, cheers. So basically if I wanted to do it for RP characters it would only really be that particular character who had access to the ship, out with the difficulty you mentioned?

In effect, yes. If you can't find a friend to help you recruit your alts (or launch SWTOR on a second PC(1) so you can be your own friend, as it were), then you'll be stuck with it being just that one character.

How much is it to commission a flagship these days?

It used to be 50 million, but I think they reduced it recently-ish to, if memory serves, eight million.

Opening rooms in a monoguild, on the other hand, is likely to be hard.

In effect, yes. If you can't find a friend to help you recruit your alts (or launch SWTOR on a second PC(1) so you can be your own friend, as it were), then you'll be stuck with it being just that one character.

It used to be 50 million, but I think they reduced it recently-ish to, if memory serves, eight million.

Opening rooms in a monoguild, on the other hand, is likely to be hard.

I am essentially a one-person guild now on Empire side. Affording the guild flagship is easy now, but unlocking the other rooms? I looked into and it's going to be really hard to pull off. If I had a lot more credits I could probably do it, but it would take some time.

I am essentially a one-person guild now

If you are such a small guild, why do you want a Guild ship anyway? I know it sounds like a nice idea, but in reality, you don't really "need" a Guild ship and you may find that you never really use it. We don't need a "ship" to travel the galaxy any more - just travel directly from the Galactic map (drop down from top of screen).

I recommend that you just purchase and decorate a Stronghold instead of wasting credits on a Guild Ship (unless, of course, your Guild suddenly grows).

Edited by JediQuaker

I (essentially) have a mono guild for imp toons and pub toons.

I bought flagships for each years ago.

I'm only now working on unlocking rooms.

There was never a reason to before, and it was expensive. Now, with the guild perk system, there's at least a reason for me to do it.

As to HOW to do it.

Make alts. A LOT of alts.

You need 200 or 250 encryptions to open up the rooms and as a solo player the only way to really do that is through conquest. You need to have enough alts to make conquest goals to reach the guild goal for the small invasion planet.

Main + alts to 15k each

enough alts to hit the guild point goal of 110k points.

This is MUCH easier to do now than it was a couple weeks ago due to the recent changes in conquest.

I did it with 55 toons last week during double xp/cxp

Having a 2nd account helps a lot if you have two computers you can play on.

I've also started inviting players into my guild. I look for other "solo" players who want the extra xp they get by being in a guild but none of the actual group interaction. A guild of loners, if you will. It works out.

If you are such a small guild, why do you want a Guild ship anyway? I know it sounds like a nice idea, but in reality, you don't really "need" a Guild ship and you may find that you never really use it. We don't need a "ship" to travel the galaxy any more - just travel directly from the Galactic map (drop down from top of screen).

I recommend that you just purchase and decorate a Stronghold instead of wasting credits on a Guild Ship (unless, of course, your Guild suddenly grows).

For me, it was so I could participate in conquest.

I was on a small PVP server (POT5) and hardly anyone was doing conquest. I wanted those titles!

I got probably 1/2 of them completely by myself from that server.

The rest I had to join a mega guild to get.

Also, conquest rewards, the encryptions, sold pretty well and I had a TON of them.

I have spent a lot of credits on decorating my strongholds. It's just an idea that I've floated around in my head. Having my own flagship sounds like a neat little idea. Will it happen? I don't know. I have the alts to do conquest goals if I want to do it. As was mentioned earlier, it's easier to pull off.

When conquest first came out I pretty much dismissed it. I am not a member of a large guild and don't really wish to be. Myself and a long time gaming partner made duo guilds (pub/imp) for ease of meeting and sharing stuff via guild bank etc. When strongholds came out we created guild strongholds with all the utility ammenties.

The original cost for guild ships was beyond our reach (this was back when 50 million was a lot of money :)) and we would have been unlikely to make personal conquest targets (20k) let alone the guild ones (220k for small IIRC).

Since then both the guild ship cost and the conquest targets have been reduced. Guild ships are now 8 million, guild target for small planet is now 170k and personal target is 15k. They also added guild levels based on conquest points. I started hitting personal targets without going too much out of my way in how I played and began to see the Guild XP meter slowly crawl ro the right. I also started to feel a bit guilty about always leeching on somone else's summon when doing Ossus WBs.

So we bought ships for both our guilds, which are now level 2 each - woohoo! :) We added the usual utilities and it can now serve as an alternate to the stronghold in addition to enabling the guild invasion. With the recent changes to conquest and double xp with Dantooine we easily made the small planet guild target and personal targets on several characters each.

I am looking forward to decorating the ships to make them look a bit more functional.

Will our duo guild progress as fast as a large one? - of course not.

Will we ever win a planet invasion? - almost certainly not.

Will we have fun hangng out in our guild flagship and decorating it? - yes, and this for me is the bottom line

TL;DR If you want a guild ship then you can get one. They are now within reach of even a solo player (assuming you can make a guild with temporary help and/or your own f2p accounts) and offer a nice alternative to a regular stronghold.