Why are Ships and Guildships so pointless!!!

Delani

So I imagined actually having to fly to a guild ship, and the first thing that occurred to me was "Sorry I'm late, I didn't think it would take 10 minutes to fast travel to the guild ship". This, in a game where the most common dialog between players in a FP is "Spacebar". That'll go over like a lead balloon.

My personal ship is still useful, even for toons that have done, or started KotFE/ET. There's a lot less nonsense in the chat, to start off with, not to mention full access to Legacy and Personal storage. I think I used to have a guild bay in there too, but I don't remember now, and I'm not in a guild. I can park there, send comps out for gathering missions, and use the PvE space missions to finance it. At one point, early in my time here, one of my toons spent too much money, and back then, you had to pay for taxis, and your skills, so I spent a few days doing nothing but space missions. That functionality, although not needed by me today, Legacy storage can store credits too, is still there.

So my ships are a long way from useless, and I really don't think that the next new class should be "Class Ship" either.

You have to see the bigger picture, sure you are a solo player but a lot of people that are into MMOs are into group content. Adding more purpose to guildships and ships provides a lot more group content for people and you dont even need to have misisons, just mix it with conquest and "owning territory". One main complaint about KOTET/KOTFE is that it felt like a single player story update and in an MMO that is not what people want. Not only was it a single player story, you werent even allowed to play with your friends while doing the story and for a lot of people that is very lonely. Giving players choice is the key to be honest, but not even that was offered to us. So what happened? People unsubbed and left the game. Having stuff to do with your friends helps MMOs and tbh the lack of ship content could help. There are seats in our personal ships for no reason, it feels lonely, you can customize it and why not add the "galactic star fighter" simulator and incorparate it with space exploration. It just adds to the universe and to SWTOR. This is just a suggestion and a wild idea that I thought about when comparing SWTOR to other MMOs because personally, SWTOR is one of my favorites and I would like it to be better but it is lacking. In my opinion one of the major places its lacking is in ships and the development of ships, ships are very iconic in Star Wars and has been in every Star Wars movie ever made. Focusing on ships for a while would only help, not hurt and they could give us the choice to choose whether or not to instant travel or just fly around in space with our friends.

So I imagined actually having to fly to a guild ship, and the first thing that occurred to me was "Sorry I'm late, I didn't think it would take 10 minutes to fast travel to the guild ship". This, in a game where the most common dialog between players in a FP is "Spacebar". That'll go over like a lead balloon.

My personal ship is still useful, even for toons that have done, or started KotFE/ET. There's a lot less nonsense in the chat, to start off with, not to mention full access to Legacy and Personal storage. I think I used to have a guild bay in there too, but I don't remember now, and I'm not in a guild. I can park there, send comps out for gathering missions, and use the PvE space missions to finance it. At one point, early in my time here, one of my toons spent too much money, and back then, you had to pay for taxis, and your skills, so I spent a few days doing nothing but space missions. That functionality, although not needed by me today, Legacy storage can store credits too, is still there.

So my ships are a long way from useless, and I really don't think that the next new class should be "Class Ship" either.

Another reality is that, you have to look at the reason why people quit and unsubbed versus the players that are already here. If SWTOR wants to grow they have to figure out why players quit their game and why are they playing other MMOs instead of their own. Most companies want to be successful and unless SWTOR has no plan on growing, then they just just keep doing what they did for the past 8 years until we finally hit rock bottom.

Extended Content Droughts, Known Bugs for years, Lack of growth, Indifference from the Admin., Very old Engine, Inability to Keep Up with other games, General Toxicity and Animosity among players, Ever Diminishing facets of the Original Story direction (Includes lessening of companions relevance to said "Story").

These are some issues as to why people look towards other games from SWTOR. In "Star Wars" the *Ships are as much a part as anything else even critical parts. In SWTOR the *Ships roles are diminishing even the Number of players with their class ships (Everybody should have one, Terrible idea thanks to speeding players to a story most didn't like). The guild ships do provide a number of assets but not every guild has one nor does every guild even Want one (Smaller ships for the smaller guilds could Alleviate this greatly). I believe Most of these issues could be fixed or lessened but I also believe BW's abilities (EA) has been reduced to working on 1 thing at a time and accomplishing that 1 thing takes too long.

Extended Content Droughts, Known Bugs for years, Lack of growth, Indifference from the Admin., Very old Engine, Inability to Keep Up with other games, General Toxicity and Animosity among players, Ever Diminishing facets of the Original Story direction (Includes lessening of companions relevance to said "Story").

These are some issues as to why people look towards other games from SWTOR. In "Star Wars" the *Ships are as much a part as anything else even critical parts. In SWTOR the *Ships roles are diminishing even the Number of players with their class ships (Everybody should have one, Terrible idea thanks to speeding players to a story most didn't like). The guild ships do provide a number of assets but not every guild has one nor does every guild even Want one (Smaller ships for the smaller guilds could Alleviate this greatly). I believe Most of these issues could be fixed or lessened but I also believe BW's abilities (EA) has been reduced to working on 1 thing at a time and accomplishing that 1 thing takes too long.

Your right on!!! toxicity is in most games tho lol

The engine is a huge factor tbh I wish you put it in bold and color

Edited by Delani

You have to see the bigger picture, sure you are a solo player but a lot of people that are into MMOs are into group content. Adding more purpose to guildships and ships provides a lot more group content for people and you dont even need to have misisons, just mix it with conquest and "owning territory". One main complaint about KOTET/KOTFE is that it felt like a single player story update and in an MMO that is not what people want. Not only was it a single player story, you werent even allowed to play with your friends while doing the story and for a lot of people that is very lonely. Giving players choice is the key to be honest, but not even that was offered to us. So what happened? People unsubbed and left the game. Having stuff to do with your friends helps MMOs and tbh the lack of ship content could help. There are seats in our personal ships for no reason, it feels lonely, you can customize it and why not add the "galactic star fighter" simulator and incorparate it with space exploration. It just adds to the universe and to SWTOR. This is just a suggestion and a wild idea that I thought about when comparing SWTOR to other MMOs because personally, SWTOR is one of my favorites and I would like it to be better but it is lacking. In my opinion one of the major places its lacking is in ships and the development of ships, ships are very iconic in Star Wars and has been in every Star Wars movie ever made. Focusing on ships for a while would only help, not hurt and they could give us the choice to choose whether or not to instant travel or just fly around in space with our friends.

I'm not referencing anything a comp may have said in a FP when I reference dialog in FPs. You spend a lot of time preaching that people need to see the big picture, or understand why people left. I've been here off and on for years, since Rise of the Hutt Cartel, I got here right on the heels of it's release. During my time here I've been a NiM Ops tank/dps/healer, and MM FP tank/dps/healer. Some friends from Aion came over with me, and left because the PvP is pointless. So you need to see the big picture, and get an understanding as to why people left, and while I'd imagine there are some that left because of how long it took to get their original crew back, some still don't have all of them, it's only related to the ship because the crew's not there.

I stay off the Fleet, and the starter planet zones because of the chat. I don't need to know who's doing who's mom, or hear how "Orange man bad", or "that Americans are bigots" from someone that spent the last five minutes spewing some of the most bigoted crap I've heard in a while about Americans. I'm not in a guild now because I play too sporadically, and most guilds have a "if you're gone this long, you're kicked" policy. I'm down with that, so I'm not joining any guilds, because frankly, I don't know if I'll be playing next month, or if I'll be busy with one of the other nearly 3 gigs of games I have installed across two platforms. I surely don't expect people to make an exception to that rule on my account. I could be gone for weeks, or months, or a year.

I'm not in and out because I can't fly my ship to a guild ship, I used to spacebar that cutscene, just like I do planetary landings. Nor am I in and out because I can't play the Wookiee or droid "class". I'm in and out because I have been here for years, and because I do have other games that I follow, and other games that I play, whether they're MMOs or not. When my current sub lapses, Sept's update may not even bring me back, I may be busy with the next new shiny, or saving my money for the next shiny, depending on what's coming up. So I do look at the big picture, only the picture I look at is larger than the one you seem to think I should be looking at.

I'm not referencing anything a comp may have said in a FP when I reference dialog in FPs. You spend a lot of time preaching that people need to see the big picture, or understand why people left. I've been here off and on for years, since Rise of the Hutt Cartel, I got here right on the heels of it's release. During my time here I've been a NiM Ops tank/dps/healer, and MM FP tank/dps/healer. Some friends from Aion came over with me, and left because the PvP is pointless. So you need to see the big picture, and get an understanding as to why people left, and while I'd imagine there are some that left because of how long it took to get their original crew back, some still don't have all of them, it's only related to the ship because the crew's not there.

I stay off the Fleet, and the starter planet zones because of the chat. I don't need to know who's doing who's mom, or hear how "Orange man bad", or "that Americans are bigots" from someone that spent the last five minutes spewing some of the most bigoted crap I've heard in a while about Americans. I'm not in a guild now because I play too sporadically, and most guilds have a "if you're gone this long, you're kicked" policy. I'm down with that, so I'm not joining any guilds, because frankly, I don't know if I'll be playing next month, or if I'll be busy with one of the other nearly 3 gigs of games I have installed across two platforms. I surely don't expect people to make an exception to that rule on my account. I could be gone for weeks, or months, or a year.

I'm not in and out because I can't fly my ship to a guild ship, I used to spacebar that cutscene, just like I do planetary landings. Nor am I in and out because I can't play the Wookiee or droid "class". I'm in and out because I have been here for years, and because I do have other games that I follow, and other games that I play, whether they're MMOs or not. When my current sub lapses, Sept's update may not even bring me back, I may be busy with the next new shiny, or saving my money for the next shiny, depending on what's coming up. So I do look at the big picture, only the picture I look at is larger than the one you seem to think I should be looking at.

Ahh ok, the bigger picture is realizing the game and the MMO market/population is bigger than you and your personal interest. Thats all I was saying. Its also quesitoning why did SWTOR lose 80% of their sub base since launch when WoW and ESO have maintained stability?

Ahh ok, the bigger picture is realizing the game and the MMO market/population is bigger than you and your personal interest. Thats all I was saying. Its also quesitoning why did SWTOR lose 80% of their sub base since launch when WoW and ESO have maintained stability?

That's hilarious. WoW has bled off tons of subs, but they're so big you may not notice, and ESO? ESO's launch was a complete disaster, I seem to recall. They've since ironed it out, I canceled my sub there to play here, since I can only maintain subs in one MMO at a time, but they took a big hit too, and I'll bet a lot of the people that left because they expected Skyrim online haven't returned.

So I seem to recall reading that you've been playing PC based games for about 4 years? In that 4 years, you're suddenly more knowledgeable about why people have left or stayed in MMOs than the people that have been around since the launches of said MMOs? You have a perception of why you think they left, and while it may be a part of the equation, you're far from grasping the big picture. You may benefit from reading back to the beginning of these forums, or going back a few years in time to read what was actually going on.

That's hilarious. WoW has bled off tons of subs, but they're so big you may not notice, and ESO? ESO's launch was a complete disaster, I seem to recall. They've since ironed it out, I canceled my sub there to play here, since I can only maintain subs in one MMO at a time, but they took a big hit too, and I'll bet a lot of the people that left because they expected Skyrim online haven't returned.

So I seem to recall reading that you've been playing PC based games for about 4 years? In that 4 years, you're suddenly more knowledgeable about why people have left or stayed in MMOs than the people that have been around since the launches of said MMOs? You have a perception of why you think they left, and while it may be a part of the equation, you're far from grasping the big picture. You may benefit from reading back to the beginning of these forums, or going back a few years in time to read what was actually going on.

ESO had a bad launch but bounced right back up and exactly, WoW may have lost subs but the game ihas so many players it doesnt matter or ruin the MMO experience. SWTOR has not made a comeback and the question is why? Why is SWTOR sub count much lower than other MMOs?

Haven't read all the messages, because it just looks like walls of letters.....lol

So if I repeat anything, it's always good :p

1. Personal ships should be customisable, like mini s/h's. I've unlocked everything on the ship, but would also like to be able to have extra stuff there, and have it, as I think it should look.

2. Space based missions, something akin to SWG would be cool. When Starfighter was announced I was excited till I found out it was just pvp.

3. being able to fly your ship around, even if not in mission would be fairly cool, you could do that in SWG, and was fun.

Haven't read all the messages, because it just looks like walls of letters.....lol

So if I repeat anything, it's always good :p

1. Personal ships should be customisable, like mini s/h's. I've unlocked everything on the ship, but would also like to be able to have extra stuff there, and have it, as I think it should look.

2. Space based missions, something akin to SWG would be cool. When Starfighter was announced I was excited till I found out it was just pvp.

3. being able to fly your ship around, even if not in mission would be fairly cool, you could do that in SWG, and was fun.

I like all your points lol, it would be cool add so much more to the game and feel of the game. Not only that, people would create their own fun within that addition.

Edited by Delani

it is 8 ships, not 1... the layouts are different, not much room to begin with. So on a list of things I'd want, this is not even on the list. A big investment of Dev time, for something most people would seldom use.

I'll continue to travel via the Activities portals, or the Map protals.. those take me directly where I'm going, with one cutscene, instead of the ship's several cutscenes.

One thing they could do to improve your class ship is allow for more customisation

Allow players to decorate them like Strongholds

However I have always felt the ships felt more like a location rather than a ship, if that makes sense

One thing they could do to improve your class ship is allow for more customisation

Allow players to decorate them like Strongholds

However I have always felt the ships felt more like a location rather than a ship, if that makes sense

It feels like home. I was all over "let us decorate the ships instead of spending time and money on SHs, when they were first announced. There was something about the stages for the cutscenes for comp dialogs/stories that do take place on the ship that prohibited that though. At least as far as I remember. I need the Item Modification station on my ship, and I'd never visit my SHs again. Well, not much, unless I'm running nublettes again, and I need to before they get their ships.

I miss having my ship, not a generic Alliance ship in cut scenes. Allowing using map to travel to planets without boarding ship rendered them useless accept as quest hubs. Still need to get some quests from the ship's console after doing class story.