sentinel vs guardian dps, which is more forgiving/easier

AaronMitchell

About to hit 10 on my jedi knight and im looking to dps only. Im curious as to which AC is easier or more forgiving and still puts out good numbers.

I prefer the look of a single light saber but i will take the sentinel if its less complicated to actually play effectively.

looking mainly for pve advice right now but end game pvp wise couldnt hurt because id like to try that out as well

ty

As for sentinel or guardian i don't know wich one easier, personaly i had some difficulties along the road.

as far as i can tell is that sentinel is getting real strong when your at lv43 in my personal experience. i could have made some bad choices which would explain why i had some troubles with sentinel but i realy like being a sentinel.

so i would say pick sentinel and for the talent build i would reccomend http://www.noxxic.com. which would help you gaining a real good talent build for PvE and PVP.

I like the look of a vigilance build more than focus for the guardian, focus requires too much setup in my opinion to get results.

I dont mind watching for some procs but focus just seems too involved

Combat looks a little easier to handle than watchman to me but neither look too bu again focus just isnt going to happen.

how viable are vigilance guardians and combat or watchman sentinels for endgame pve and possible pvp

I like the look of a vigilance build more than focus for the guardian, focus requires too much setup in my opinion to get results.

I dont mind watching for some procs but focus just seems too involved

Combat looks a little easier to handle than watchman to me but neither look too bu again focus just isnt going to happen.

how viable are vigilance guardians and combat or watchman sentinels for endgame pve and possible pvp

This is 100% wrong. In every way. Focus is by far the easiest and is the easier for Guardians because of Enrage. Guardian dps is significantly behind Sentinel. If you want a PvE dps spec for Sentinel Watchman is the easiest to use at a mediocre level, combat is a little harder to use at a mediocre level and both are extremely difficult to master. Focus on the other hand is a joke for both. Can't think of the Jedi names but its Enrage>Leap>Smash>Crush>Scream>Obliterate>Ravage> Repeat. Its one of the few specs in the game with an extremely set rotatio.

is that rotation for both sentinet and guardian focus?

and now do you obliterate in the roation if they are too close or what do u do instead

it just looks from looking at noxxic and stuff and reading that focus had the most setup

ill have to give it a shot, once i decide which AC

Edited by AaronMitchell

is watchman or vigilance easier to play at a low-mid skill level

I vigilance is very easy especially early on. You really only have ravage, Vigilance's main ability, and then you will be spamming vicious slash, not sure of the Jedi name for that move. It gets way more involved and interesting as you lvl but it really eases you into it. Watchmen I never played. I only ever played the other 2 specs, one of which is very similarin the guardian side. I have played both A/C's and am in love with my Jugg/ guardian. My marauder/sentinal is fun but I loose interest. I would go Guardian because I like it, but I don't know some people hate it. Again it isn't as strong pure dps as the other.

is watchman or vigilance easier to play at a low-mid skill level

Vigilance has significantly fewer abilities but can get much more resource intensive, which can make it difficult to manage. Watchman has many more abilities to manage but once started is decently easy on resource management. Its a toss up. Focus between the two has different abilities but the concept is the same. The truth is that each has its own strengths and weaknesses. My two favorite specs are Watchman and Vigilance. Sadly, the best bet is to simply chose an ac and go from there. Your experience will be unique to you since different people have different play styles and thus find different specs easier. My wife loves focus but finds combat to be too involved. I agree with her on combat, it requires too much attention to prove, but I find Focus to be so boring that its completely unfun. Then I have friends who find the bleed management of Watchman to be too tedious. Then we get to Guardians and find that people are even more entrenched in their favorite dps spec because both are relatively equal for PvE DPS. My advice is to choose an AC and then play around with specs as you level. Try them all for a bit, including Defense if you go guardian, you might find that you love tanking.

Guardians have at lest 3 things going on for them in terms of dps:

a) shien form - 12% damage when specced if i'm not mistaken + one focus point cost reduction on attacking skills. That's a huge liberation for all dps oriented guards. It just kicks the crap outta sents juyo and ataru forms anyday.

b) ravaging strike - with skill investments it can net you 7 focus per use, plus that 20% armor reduction on enemy

c) No matter how hard offensively specced your guardian gets, you still wear heavy armor, and sents don't. Plus that reasy to reach 15% perma armor rating boost in defense tree.

I'm not saying guardian's damage is better then sentinels, but they got quite a lot under the hood where you don't expect it. Coupled with clear defense advantage no matter which alley you choose to go into they're the more alluring choice for me.

Edited by Mizef

My main is a Sentinel but I have a Guardian too. Played them both to end game and beyond ;). I would say that my guardian was easier throughout the leveling process. Whether it was due to heavy armor or the way the companions fit with the guardian skills I cannot say. I also like the single saber look best. The advantage of sentinel for people doing pure dps is that it will do a bit more if played properly (5%-10%ish supposedly) and you've got 3 flavors (watchman, combat, and focus) of DPS to choose from instead of 2.

• 2 weeks later...