tips for false emperor small spoiler

I just recently started doing high level missions on Illum. the final mission is false emperor flashpoint. I tried it several times. I am a jedi knight gaurdian tank. It seems like the group seemed to rely on me too much. is this normal for this flashpoint. I held agro during the whole flashpoint. no one hardly ever got attacked unless many, many enemies. when it came to the end, Malgus, I held agro, interupted every 8 seconds(thats the cooldown for the action), and I even kited him down the stairs around the corner a couple of times, my group never even threw one grenade or used a single push back. my group actually tried to vote on kicking me once. Is there a trick to beating him I dont know? was my group justified in thinking I wasnt doing enough? I am stumped by this flashpoint. any advice is appreciated. Edited by atheosa

sometimes he will turn on ***hole mode and not follow you when he drops really low. as a tank, dps, or healer on the last solo phase i will run to the edge if im last in line. some drag him to the corner but i have seen him get knocked back to the opposite edge. the pillars leading up to him are a great place to tank him with your back facing one.

Simple fight actually. It's kind of hard to prep when the fight starts immediately after the cutscene.

However to do this as easily as possible, behind your group is the narrow(ish) catwalk/walkway that started at the door and leads to the throne. On the sides of that catwalk/runway are vertical pillars that are evenly spaced out (15m?).

See poor illustration below

What I do and many in our run groups do is, the tank will draw immediate aggro while the others do not attack. Run back to pillar 2 (see below) and put your back against it. You should then be facing pillar 1. On your left is the catwalk/runway and on your right is the pit. While you keep your back to this pillar you can't be knocked off. The DPS (ranged) and healer should have their backs against pillar 1 facing pillar 2 which is where the tank is. In this position the dps/healer can't be knocked back since they are again the pillar. Stay in this position the entire fight. Healers can use area effects here and heal everyone at once. When he's ready to knock off, there is no "pulling" him into position since he's already there. Have a DPS/Heal come out at that point and use their knock back or grenade. Bingo. Game Over Simple. You won't want to do it any other way after this.

The only tricky part is if you have 1 or 2 melee dps. In between Pillar 1 an 2 is a "small" rectangular box closest to the tank. If you position yourself so that the box is directly behind your toon, you wont get affected by the knockback and you are in melee range to dps.

The other thing is that Malgus will randomly target a member in the group and run towards them. When the tank gets aggro back, he may not move back to the tank (stays still). To get him to move back to you, use your forward movement key and move a couple steps towards him. He will then dart back to you. Then just use your back movement key to put your back against the pillar again.

------ <-- Stairs

x x <- pillar 1

| | <- open area

x x < - pillar 2

| |

x x

------ <-- Entrance/Door

Edited by metaIsaber

I have a question

when it's time to throw him off the edge doesn't say something like " the empire is doomed" or something like that indicating that it is time to use the pulse grenades. I thought he did but maybe not. Can someone confirm this?:confused:

You get a message that Malgus's resolve is wavering, and if you have your grenade on your toolbar, it will become active. Also, the dramatic music starts to play.

OP, you say you are interrupting every 8 seconds... if you do this, you may miss interrupting "Unlimited Power", which wipes out the group. It's best to save your interrupt for that.

For the majority of the fight, keep him on the stairs in front of his throne, this avoids any issues with his horrific knockback. As the previous poster said you only really need to interrupt Unlimited Power, most of his other channeled moves do little if any real damage. Once he gets down to 15% or right after the 4th player has had their solo moment with Malgus, kite him onto the bridge. As soon as it says his resolve is weakening, circle round him to line up the knockback and blast him off the edge, sometimes it takes two players working together to knock him off, one blasts him to the ledge and the other over it. Also once he starts spamming Force Lightning you have to move fast, it acts like a Soft Enrage and will gradually increase in power until you can't heal through it (that might just be in the Hard Mode, not sure). It's wise to ask the group if they know the tactics before entering the throne room, there is absolutely no reason why you as the Tank should have to do all the work.

You don't HAVE to wait for the text to pop up to knock him back, that's just for people that are too dense to actually know to read the buffs on a boss. If you read his buff when he's in the final phase, you'll see that the second knockback during his lightning channel will affect him.

Fight him between two pillars (parallel to cliff, not across hallway) near the doorway. Tank/melee with back to one pillar and ranged/healers with back to opposite pillar. This is to prevent knock backs by Malgus into the pit. Since you fight right next to the cliff the entire fight, the moment he can be knocked off he is already there, the tank can strife slightly toward the pit and the others can simply knock him off.

Its cake.

For the majority of the fight, keep him on the stairs in front of his throne, this avoids any issues with his horrific knockback.

This would work if you didn't have to rely on other players to actually move him into position. what happens if you end up getting that last person which he attacks and does not know to move him or moves him too late? Then it becomes a royal pain to get him into position.

Each person which said you should be tanking him with your back to one of the pillars is correct. You will not be affected by any of the knockbacks and you already have him into position. Once he starts casting his lightning is when you should see the grenades fly.

Force wave also works in place of a grenade.

Fight him between two pillars (parallel to cliff, not across hallway) near the doorway. Tank/melee with back to one pillar and ranged/healers with back to opposite pillar. This is to prevent knock backs by Malgus into the pit. Since you fight right next to the cliff the entire fight, the moment he can be knocked off he is already there, the tank can strife slightly toward the pit and the others can simply knock him off.

Its cake.

This times 100. If you tank him on the stairs, he sometimes won't follow you all the way to the edge of the pit. If you fight in over in the back corner, it's hard for the healer to reach everyone. The pillars are by far the best place.

This times 100. If you tank him on the stairs, he sometimes won't follow you all the way to the edge of the pit. If you fight in over in the back corner, it's hard for the healer to reach everyone. The pillars are by far the best place.

I disagree. I hate doing the fight this way with my sniper DPS and find it incredibly irritating to heal too. I have tanked, healed and DPSed this fight in HM and I say, forget the tricks, just fight him on the stairs. As long as everybody knows the mechanics, it's easy.

I disagree. I hate doing the fight this way with my sniper DPS and find it incredibly irritating to heal too. I have tanked, healed and DPSed this fight in HM and I say, forget the tricks, just fight him on the stairs. As long as everybody knows the mechanics, it's easy.

Agreed, as a Tank I always stop before clicking on the door to enter the throne room and tell the group, fight him on the stairs and move to the bridge when he gets to 15% HP. So far no one has got it wrong