Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why are Ships and Guildships so pointless!!!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why are Ships and Guildships so pointless!!!

Sinhammer
06.17.2019 , 12:45 AM | #11
Everyone saying personal ships are useless have obviously never been summoned somewhere. When you get summoned to that world boss kill but suddenly find you CAN'T be summoned due to no ship--you'll wish you did your story quest and gotten one.
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.
----Darth Wolfhammer Hellstorm of Star Forge----

merovejec
06.17.2019 , 01:18 AM | #12
I think the personal starships are still a good addition to the game, they are vital for the class story as you use them to travel around and also many missions trigger in the dock when you exit your ship etc. All the missions are available in your personal starshipt terminal, so the Devs still force people to keep revisiting your ship. They tried to make it emotional in KOTFE too, when they gave you back your ship (imagine, you had to walk all this time). Also dont forget the Space Missions, which are very cool and still fun!

Guildships on the otherhand help you out on a dialy basis. You need them to conquer, summon groups etc. Now, with the improved conquest and the guild perks they are more important then ever!

i know what you mean that even though they have so much to offer us, you can really take them to fly around, its all limited and they seem to do all the action by standing still. Thats definitely a limitation of the game engine. People imagined guild wars where you would be launching starfighters from your guildship and attack the other guildship etc. This would be nice, like in the old Battlefront, but sadly its not possible in this game.
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements 5.10 69015

Esron
06.17.2019 , 01:48 AM | #13
I have a suggestion about how guildships could work for pve/pvp purposes, but it would require alot of work on bw/ea's side ( if they where willing to do it )

1: Guildships could be used to "push" a contending guild back in cq placing through spacebattles ( the winning ship would "steal" a certain amounts of cq points, thus giving the oppertunity for more guilds to co-op against the leading guild and thus share the won points between them ) resulting in the leading guild maybe getting knocked a place down on the list. alliances would be made and broken all over the place !!! ( this would be setup through an alarm system where the attacked guild would then get a high alert status having to break off whatever they are doing and be called into action for the battle ahead to take actions against the strikes. ) IT'S A TRAP !!
Ofcourse some wrinkles would need to be sorted out with a system like this and remember this is just a rough outlining of my suggestion.

2: For pve we could use guildships for ops and such to fight through a planets defensive system ( spacestations, minefields and fighters and the likes) before venturing onto the planet itself ( this could "hurt" the guildships thus needing resources to repair them again before the next naval space combat started. ( having your guildship destroyed would thus require a considerable amount of resources to repair them again. This would also make use of alot of old crafting mats again and make some of the crafting skills much more usefull not to speak of the guild having to work abit more together for this to work. )

playerships could also enter these battles under the same condition as guildships with mats needed to repair them etc. suddenly "fleets" would be an actual thing and piracy and spacebattles and escaping them etc etc etc.
things like this would make the game alot more interesting for every one playing in guilds and make alot of old stuff usefull again plus introducing new stuff into the game. And like i said earlyer, alot of work would have to be done to get things like this to work but imo it would be awsome if it could happen

Delani
06.17.2019 , 08:46 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by merovejec View Post
I think the personal starships are still a good addition to the game, they are vital for the class story as you use them to travel around and also many missions trigger in the dock when you exit your ship etc. All the missions are available in your personal starshipt terminal, so the Devs still force people to keep revisiting your ship. They tried to make it emotional in KOTFE too, when they gave you back your ship (imagine, you had to walk all this time). Also dont forget the Space Missions, which are very cool and still fun!

Guildships on the otherhand help you out on a dialy basis. You need them to conquer, summon groups etc. Now, with the improved conquest and the guild perks they are more important then ever!

i know what you mean that even though they have so much to offer us, you can really take them to fly around, its all limited and they seem to do all the action by standing still. Thats definitely a limitation of the game engine. People imagined guild wars where you would be launching starfighters from your guildship and attack the other guildship etc. This would be nice, like in the old Battlefront, but sadly its not possible in this game.
Yes like the old battlefront, exactly

Delani
06.17.2019 , 02:31 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Esron View Post
I have a suggestion about how guildships could work for pve/pvp purposes, but it would require alot of work on bw/ea's side ( if they where willing to do it )

1: Guildships could be used to "push" a contending guild back in cq placing through spacebattles ( the winning ship would "steal" a certain amounts of cq points, thus giving the oppertunity for more guilds to co-op against the leading guild and thus share the won points between them ) resulting in the leading guild maybe getting knocked a place down on the list. alliances would be made and broken all over the place !!! ( this would be setup through an alarm system where the attacked guild would then get a high alert status having to break off whatever they are doing and be called into action for the battle ahead to take actions against the strikes. ) IT'S A TRAP !!
Ofcourse some wrinkles would need to be sorted out with a system like this and remember this is just a rough outlining of my suggestion.

2: For pve we could use guildships for ops and such to fight through a planets defensive system ( spacestations, minefields and fighters and the likes) before venturing onto the planet itself ( this could "hurt" the guildships thus needing resources to repair them again before the next naval space combat started. ( having your guildship destroyed would thus require a considerable amount of resources to repair them again. This would also make use of alot of old crafting mats again and make some of the crafting skills much more usefull not to speak of the guild having to work abit more together for this to work. )

playerships could also enter these battles under the same condition as guildships with mats needed to repair them etc. suddenly "fleets" would be an actual thing and piracy and spacebattles and escaping them etc etc etc.
things like this would make the game alot more interesting for every one playing in guilds and make alot of old stuff usefull again plus introducing new stuff into the game. And like i said earlyer, alot of work would have to be done to get things like this to work but imo it would be awsome if it could happen
This would make guilds so much more important and fun.

MikeCobalt
06.17.2019 , 03:01 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by merovejec View Post

I still use my class ship(s), often. BW has made fundamental changes in the game that has diminished them substantially though often as a side effect/ consequence. Some of the changes have lead to players not even having their own ship (Major Fail due to short sighted Zakuul envy). The ships do seem like a cold lonely place nowdays without our Comps so I would imagine some actually *Avoid using those because of their impression and using the "Super Fast *Adrenaline Faster Now" button (Another newer facet with detrimental side effects). Think of "Star Wars" without any ships; not the movies I've seen. The Class ships Do still provide but not like before, another detriment to the games Story Direction.
I also thought of the adding Guild Ships to the Planet Conquests; "Uber Star Wars" . This would actually be the first stage of the conquest, moving both guild ships into the same orbit. Once that happens the fighters and GSF would start as the two capitol ships go Broadside with periodic blasts back and forth (energy for Guild ship weapons and shields come from the guild activity prior to the battle) during this the player fighters are swarming around shooting (Pew pew pew) at the other guilds fighters and attacking the enemies Guild Ships shield generators and turrets. The Winner there gets a bonus on the land combat and "Air Strike, 1 Walker" support. I realize this is well beyond SWTORs capabilities, but it would be Epic Would make me join a guild (finally) for sure.

Delani
06.17.2019 , 04:44 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeCobalt View Post
I still use my class ship(s), often. BW has made fundamental changes in the game that has diminished them substantially though often as a side effect/ consequence. Some of the changes have lead to players not even having their own ship (Major Fail due to short sighted Zakuul envy). The ships do seem like a cold lonely place nowdays without our Comps so I would imagine some actually *Avoid using those because of their impression and using the "Super Fast *Adrenaline Faster Now" button (Another newer facet with detrimental side effects). Think of "Star Wars" without any ships; not the movies I've seen. The Class ships Do still provide but not like before, another detriment to the games Story Direction.
I also thought of the adding Guild Ships to the Planet Conquests; "Uber Star Wars" . This would actually be the first stage of the conquest, moving both guild ships into the same orbit. Once that happens the fighters and GSF would start as the two capitol ships go Broadside with periodic blasts back and forth (energy for Guild ship weapons and shields come from the guild activity prior to the battle) during this the player fighters are swarming around shooting (Pew pew pew) at the other guilds fighters and attacking the enemies Guild Ships shield generators and turrets. The Winner there gets a bonus on the land combat and "Air Strike, 1 Walker" support. I realize this is well beyond SWTORs capabilities, but it would be Epic Would make me join a guild (finally) for sure.
Why is it beyond SWTORS capabilites when Galactic Star Fighter already exist? The importance of ships in a star wars universe is everything. This Quality of Life improvement adds so much more to the game its insane. It also makes conquest and guilds more fun.

MikeCobalt
06.17.2019 , 05:27 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Delani View Post
Why is it beyond SWTORS capabilites when Galactic Star Fighter already exist? The importance of ships in a star wars universe is everything. This Quality of Life improvement adds so much more to the game its insane. It also makes conquest and guilds more fun.
This would be great. Maybe not *Impossible...but a lot more work outside of what they would normally do outside of Next Story, Next StrongHold, Next FlashPoint, Operation, Cartel Market.

HoloTweed
06.17.2019 , 05:40 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by KoriVash View Post
... I personally think more could be done for smaller guilds even if that means having more than one type of guild ship...
THAT would have been an excellent solution to the "big guilds win the WORLD" dilemma... smaller guild ships with cheaper add-ons that can fit the same kind of guild bonuses but smaller, at a smaller price. Maybe even a tiered system for things like conquest... not just the size of the planet, but the size of the guild itself, so the "competition" is between closer competitors.

Don't know if there's any way they could pull this off now...

casirabit
06.17.2019 , 05:48 PM | #20
While these idea are good remember to make it optional. While some would love this idea, some would not.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing. If you like redheads click my Referral link Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj https://poshmark.com/closet/tmcevoy1121