Instead of top 3, add another tier

Delani

Lets be honest, people are wintrading a lot. The issue is that Bioware cannot detect wintrading so in order to combat this, instead of top 3 just add a platinum tier. I would suggest 1700+. Anyone that is 1700+ should recieve whatever top 3 rewards are. :cool:

The main problem I have with replacing Top 3, which has a fluid barrier of entry, with a tier that has a fixed barrier of entry is that once a player gets platinum, there really is no reason for them to queue again on that character. Sure, they can keep queuing to try to ensure the top spot for their class or overall, but considering there would be no special reward for securing said top spot, how would it be remembered? Does anyone remember who the top Mara was in season 10? I don't....

I'm cognizant of how the Top 3 system now plays into wintrading, but, for better or worse, the top 3 can provide players at the top some motivation to continue queueing, in order to maintain their position and not have someone swipe it from under them. Plus, I'm not entirely sure that adding a platinum tier won't just lead to more people wintrading on more toons to get to 1700+ since that's all they would need to get to for that platinum flair.

I'm cognizant of how the Top 3 system now plays into wintrading, but, for better or worse, the top 3 can provide players at the top some motivation to continue queueing, in order to maintain their position and not have someone swipe it from under them. Plus, I'm not entirely sure that adding a platinum tier won't just lead to more people wintrading on more toons to get to 1700+ since that's all they would need to get to for that platinum flair.

I'm not convinced another tier instead of top 3 is the answer either, but I think you're underestimating a few important factors. Most top 3s (both wintraded and legit) are secured in either the first days or the last days (or both) of the season. I know of several toons in top 3 spots that literally haven't played since the first week of the season, which is

crazy.

Exceedingly few of the top 3 spots are people that progressed there naturally or are climbing throughout the season. In that way, it is fundamentally flawed. That's why they should add a minimum number of games played and decay, which would force players that want top 3 to actually play consistently. Or they could just remove it. So many are wintraders it's not really important anyway.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

The main problem I have with replacing Top 3, which has a fluid barrier of entry, with a tier that has a fixed barrier of entry is that once a player gets platinum, there really is no reason for them to queue again on that character. Sure, they can keep queuing to try to ensure the top spot for their class or overall, but considering there would be no special reward for securing said top spot, how would it be remembered? Does anyone remember who the top Mara was in season 10? I don't....

Well thats the thing, we never know what tiers are until the end of the season. So they would have to atleast remain active on the swtor website as they watch over the leaderboards. Also I tihnk only the top 10% of maybe even 5% should get class titles and rewards. So inevitably, they would have to q again unless they had a great start and were blessed enough to reach a very high elo.

I'm not convinced another tier instead of top 3 is the answer either, but I think you're underestimating a few important factors. Most top 3s (both wintraded and legit) are secured in either the first days or the last days (or both) of the season. I know of several toons in top 3 spots that literally haven't played since the first week of the season, which is

crazy.

Exceedingly few of the top 3 spots are people that progressed there naturally or are climbing throughout the season. In that way, it is fundamentally flawed. That's why they should add a minimum number of games played and decay, which would force players that want top 3 to actually play consistently. Or they could just remove it. So many are wintraders it's not really important anyway.

Why do you want them to remove it? Removing it would eliminate the motive to even q ranked.

Why do you want them to remove it? Removing it would eliminate the motive to even q ranked.

Who is only queueing ranked with the hopes of being top 3? I know I have no chance of getting top 3 despite being a pretty good player, yet I continue to queue because it's fun, and I still want to do the best that I can. Only a handful of players have a chance to reach top 3 legitimately. Anyone else who thinks they do is likely just delusional.

crazy.

Yes, this is a know fact and the main thing that contributes to is that at the start of the season, in the first 10 matches the players have the status of "no rating". With this status you gain more rating than against players with rating. So getting 1750 rating after 10 wins is a thing. Then you dont need to play all season as you said.

The only good thing here is the rating decay which was already mentioned, but it has to be well implemented to be really effective.

I personally like top 3's - it makes for so much drama that it instills a sense of community amongst the PVPers. I suggest more botting from the infamous botter so we have as much top 3 drama this season end as we did in last season - I have a bunch of nuts and seeds at home I need to consume while watching people quarrel on streams.