Update: Win-trading and "Trolls" in Ranked PvP

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks!

As we have done before, I wanted to provide an update on the status of win-traders and trolls in Ranked PvP. For win-traders, we made another pass at the very end of the season and on Tuesday we issued actions against win-traders, including resetting their rating so they would receive no rewards. As a reminder, any action that someone receives regarding win-trading will carry over to each subsequent season. Action taken against repeated win-traders will scale aggressively so we can curb this behavior.

One thing I am happy to report is that although we have certainly not gotten rid of win-trading yet, we have seen a steady decline throughout this season! We intend to continue pursuing win-traders in the hopes of removing this behavior from Ranked PvP entirely.

As for those PvP “trolls,” we have also seen a steady decline in this activity. As these players pop up, either through reports or our data, I am forwarding them onto our Terms of Service team for investigation and action. Players who are participating in this behavior are seeing some pretty severe action being taken. For these players they are all receiving, at a minimum, a 7 day suspension.

Thank you all for your continued reports and diligence in helping to clean up win-traders and trolls in Ranked PvP. I will continue to provide periodic updates throughout Season 5 and beyond.

-eric

Something that could help is redo the way you receive ratings in pvp.

One way that could work is rating:

1) rating is granted by how many medals you get in a match (more explanation below)

2) rating is not lost for losing a round. Only you get double your number of medals as rating when you win a match.

What these 2 simple changes do is:

Remove any way for trolls to screw up somebody's rating

> this way ranked is more based of how well you do individualy not blind luck

Allow for a higher tier requirement for each reward

> obvious reasons for this one, if your rating only goes up then you need higher requirements

I hope that this is taken into consideration because there would be few to no possible ways to grief ranked with this system.

Edited by Oldus_Tatham

Why do you aggressively suspend/ban PvE exploiters, but keep moderately punishing PvP exploiters, or like the recently fixed Warzone Comms exploit, totally ignore their exploits entirely?

Lol. when have they aggressively suspended/banned PVE exploiters?

Edited by Jimmajamma

While I don't think the guy was a troll (or at least I hope not), I was in a ranked match where a dps jugg did a total of 10k damage in two rounds... I'm assuming he's just bad, really really bad, but I'd hope he wasn't doing damage, just to allow the other team to win... I didn't bother reporting him. I did ignore him though, not because I know ignoring doesn't stop me from being grouped with him, but just so that I know for posterity, if I'm ever grouped up with him again...

What is a win-traders and trolls in rank pvp stand for? Can you explain more details? thanks

Win-traders are basically people (especially on lower population servers) who purposely group up with buddies and all queue ranked groups (usually) together at the same time, to guarantee a match together. One group is the dummy group, while another group is the group meant to win, they do this enough times until they get a decent rank.

Trolls are those people who purposely hamper their team, they go afk in the match or are otherwise working against their own teammates to make them lose their match. They're exclusive to solo ranked

Edited by MasterFeign

Why do you aggressively suspend/ban PvE exploiters, but keep moderately punishing PvP exploiters, or like the recently fixed Warzone Comms exploit, totally ignore their exploits entirely?

Uh go back to pveing and stop talking here. Exploits? Weapons have been around for years, the titles were close to the same thing. OH you forget to mention that pvers have been trading comms through legacy as well and long before I could trade mods to characters bought with comms ...so is that an exploit? And pvers are usually breaking an operation to get unlimited loots, reward, drops or insta kill a boss or something ridiculous. Win trading at least is something agreed on by players even if it is cheap, retarded and should be stopped which is why they get reported, They aren't technically breaking the game by doing it, just making peoples lives miserable who try to take it serious. Thats why its moderate punished. A lot of it is skeptical. I que up in pvp as a merc im labeled a troll at the start regardless of my gear lol. I guess playing FoTM makes me not a troll? *sigh*

Oh and btw pvers are actually getting content to exploit. Everything in pvp is years old, there is nothing to take advantage of anymore, so be happy you have something new to complain about. Cause the only thing pvpers get is hand-me downs from pver whiners.

Awesome, you're punishing the win traders and trolls...but what about the rating i lost due to them?

Will you give me my rating back?

Probably not. Because simply banning the win traders and trolls AFTER they do it does NOTHING for those people who have lost rating because of them.

I've got a better idea. Fix the damn rating system so that trolls and win traders can't affect my rating in the first place.

Thanks.

Awesome, you're punishing the win traders and trolls...but what about the rating i lost due to them?

Will you give me my rating back?

Probably not. Because simply banning the win traders and trolls AFTER they do it does NOTHING for those people who have lost rating because of them.

I've got a better idea. Fix the damn rating system so that trolls and win traders can't affect my rating in the first place.

Thanks.

This please. If someone "Accidently DCs" make the game not cause people to gain or lose ELO.

Edited by Jojomagro

While I don't think the guy was a troll (or at least I hope not), I was in a ranked match where a dps jugg did a total of 10k damage in two rounds... I'm assuming he's just bad, really really bad, but I'd hope he wasn't doing damage, just to allow the other team to win... I didn't bother reporting him. I did ignore him though, not because I know ignoring doesn't stop me from being grouped with him, but just so that I know for posterity, if I'm ever grouped up with him again...

Win-traders are basically people (especially on lower population servers) who purposely group up with buddies and all queue ranked groups (usually) together at the same time, to guarantee a match together. One group is the dummy group, while another group is the group meant to win, they do this enough times until they get a decent rank.

Trolls are those people who purposely hamper their team, they go afk in the match or are otherwise working against their own teammates to make them lose their match. They're exclusive to solo ranked

This game came with pve and pvp. I try pvp out for fun. I like to hunt imp players are show yellow status that are passing by and some times win one but some times don't win. Many imp players pvp every where on those wanted be a fish and to be caught on the hook. I have a idea for dev team put a bounty pvp mission terminal to hunt down bad players like win-traders and trolls in Ranked PvP and scammer selling on website on chat box in the game. Hunt them down for 1 million credit reward for one month and there status return to normal.

Edited by Wagerbane

It's funny that you post this every single season without any data expecting people to actually believe it. Without any info it sounds only as a desperate PR attempt.

With all the respect, it's not the number of trolls and win-traders that is decreasing; It is the entire PvP population, and the fact that we don't see a single statistic about that says enough.

Edited by Capote

How can you verify someone "Accidentally DCs"? All this would do is encourage people to remove their Ethernet cable anytime they are going to lose.

Should at least not start the match if someone doesn't join it instead of forcing everyone in when the timer runs out.

How can you verify someone "Accidentally DCs"? All this would do is encourage people to remove their Ethernet cable anytime they are going to lose.

The DCer would lose rating.... not the other 3 people who were unfortunate enough to be grouped with them.

I'd hope something similar would occur for people who have someone AFK through a queue pop and 30sec countdown in the safezone at the start of arenas

Edited by Jojomagro

The DCer would lose rating.... not the other 3 people who were unfortunate enough to be grouped with them.

I'd hope something similar would occur for people who have someone AFK through a queue pop and 30sec countdown in the safezone at the start of arenas

Then you have 1 person who doesn't care about rank group with the ones that do. That person bails if they're gonna lose. Any system like this can and will be exploited. The only real way to fix this IMO is solo ranked.

One thing I am happy to report is that although we have certainly not gotten rid of win-trading yet, we have seen a steady decline throughout this season!

Of course there is a decline in win-trading - because those burst-FOTM compositions really don't need any win-trading. They are avle to steamroll EVERYTHING all alone. No tricks needed anymore. Honest and legal steamrolling.

Then you have 1 person who doesn't care about rank group with the ones that do. That person bails if they're gonna lose. Any system like this can and will be exploited. The only real way to fix this IMO is solo ranked.

And this is worse than the current system how? of course there's going to be exploiters but the vast majority of rated pvpers (a slim number of overall players) do solo. Balancing for a small aspect of the larger picture is extremely bad design.

This change would have an overall positive impact, but I agree it would have new consequences for group rated. Maybe there would be a way to have this system for only solo?

I want this to happen because as a member of a guild that is the target of a prolific rated troll it gets tiresome to see 3v4s become the main reason for a crap elo at the end of a season.

Edited by Jojomagro

I want this to happen because as a member of a guild that is the target of a prolific rated troll it gets tiresome to see 3v4s become the main reason for a crap elo at the end of a season.
Permabanning you-know-who (from ranked if not from the game proper) is the answer.

Right now warzone, Flashpoint and operations is near empty of players because of not excited because many have group up from guild all ready been. Some players waited on too long for time reset before start forming a group and waited for group gets full. Really waste of time when a player try to complete the false emperor that was part of the story that needed to be solo with a solo droid. Game needed to open the door to call all your companions to make a group of 4 to 8 and rewards needed to be bound. Not this Guild thing only Guild master directing you and other members to Win-trading reward credits for the Guild master collect rewards from hard work from you after directing you to sign up on website for event. These type Of Guilds want to be Big business deal resources outside the game with websites working for scammers without knowing it that these are troll. Better go independent or solo by working for yourself. Better Guilds out there do form groups without the troll the game. Better find a good Guild. Edited by Wagerbane