I've kept my promise

fifteendollers

Problem here is that's modifying the core of SWTOR engine. First I doubt many software developpers that were at BW Austin when they modified the Hero Engine are still working on SWTOR. Second, changing that will probably makes the game unstable for a while. Third, it's, in my own experience, the kind of changes the management has trouble understanding why it's beneficial.

The problem is that developing a new engine is, in the end, developing a new game, with all the risks and expenses of such an endeavor. You can consider development of a new engine when considering the costs of a new game. Once it's running, you have to be able to justify the expense of that level of development.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what we're doing about DX11 or DX12, but, just like how this thread started, I'll definitely have it looked into.

You can do what a few games did during the transition period from DX9 to DX11: have two different executables, allowing you to choose which to launch in the launcher.

What about Vulkan?

That could maybe work. This way SWTOR won't be exclusive to Microsoft's OSes. And the only(?) low-level API that's not DX12 (i.e. support for Win 7/8.1/Linux/etc.).

Edited by Riftgrinder

Big picture wise is re-engaging all of our systems (Ops, FPs, PvP, Story, GSF, Strongholds), and yes, QoL which means bugs or changes with a specific focus in mind (e.g., Group Finder, performance related-both server and client, gameplay experience - removing steps - like auto-completing quests, and more). Even though we will also add or extend story content, our primary focus is on Multi-player and repeatable content.

---Keith

That is probably the most open and significant development for those of us pounding our fists for story that I have seen come from a developer.

While I am disappointed that story will no longer be a major Focus, I actually appreciate the honesty that the focus will be on multiplayer and repeatable exercises.

a suggestion that may end up satisfying both parties, perhaps daily areas can be used as a medium going forward to provide that repeatable content? And to satisfy the story people perhaps find a way to integrate story better into the daily areas? Perhaps in these daily areas can be with some one time quests to reacquire Old companions?

Aside from that the only two things I would then advise is to make sure the stories are worthy of the Companions and not like Iokath where people who visited Quinn and Dorne unsatisfied, and you need to make sure those vendors and the rewards are worth repeating the content. The items in those vendors for those daily areas cannot be sparse like Section X, especially if you do not plan to continue to add to them, can they need to be things players will want to come back for again and again. It may not be such a bad idea to offer cxp command crates on those vendors.

Then what you can do is have those different tiers available for a certain number of the area daily tokens, and perhaps even allow the preferred in free-to-play to access Tier 1, but the difference is that the free-to-play and preferred do not gain any cxp and therefore would be limited to getting the tier-1 packages only whereas those who are subscribers can put their daily tokens towards tier-2 and beyond. Finally perhaps have been the vendor that handles exchange rates between the daily areas. That way if one particular daily area is one where you can grind up tokens for that area quickly, the CHP command crates would be priced higher, and a person could then convert their tokens via the exchange rate to a different daily area. This could be handy as well for special events tokens. For example imagine if someone ran all of the black hole content in corellia and got all black hole tokens, and then could convert those via a proper exchange rate to a vendor to purchase gree items. It would allow people to further hit daily areas to Target what they really want, create more repeatable content his players will have an interest doing daily areas, while at the same time still being restricted by any event confines such as needing enough reputation in order to purchase the requisite items.

I think the major deal here is finding a way to make those daily areas worthwhile while still somehow Tying in and forwarding the story.

Speaking of story what I have been reading is most people want Darth Jadus to return as a long-term Villain, vs a one off and killed quick guy. Last I checked, the Sith Empire needs a new emperor and given everything that's happened with knights of the Fallen Empire, the Galaxy is in a state that Jadus said he wanted from the imperial agent story, so what better time for him to make a return? *HINT HINT* :rak_03:

Edited by ZionHalcyon

You can do what a few games did during the transition period from DX9 to DX11: have two different executables, allowing you to choose which to launch in the launcher.

That could maybe work. This way SWTOR won't be exclusive to Microsoft's OSes. And the only(?) low-level API that's not DX12 (i.e. support for Win 7/8.1/Linux/etc.).

While I fear it won't happen, I am fully support SWTOR going Vulkan, the FPS gains on very old ATI and AMD cards from Doom implementing Vulkan and tweaking it properly was amazing. Vulkan would allow SWTOR to hit more platforms and also allow it to run higher resolution graphics and more particle effects with less impact on users computers. They could really step up a lot of the visuals without it impacting people's PC'S if they went Vulkan and knew how to properly use it.

You can do what a few games did during the transition period from DX9 to DX11: have two different executables, allowing you to choose which to launch in the launcher. ... This way SWTOR won't be exclusive to Microsoft's OSes. And the only(?) low-level API that's not DX12 (i.e. support for Win 7/8.1/Linux/etc.).

Windows 8 and 8.1 should be marginalized but it runs DX11.1, perhaps 1% of population when a SWTOR refresh were to hypothetically be available on new servers. . Also using server tools, SWTOR should be able to capture what each percentage of game clients are running and map that over time to set a 32but sunset end of life date.

The leadership is to skip DX 11/11.1 and just make a single solid platform on DX12. Here is why.

So DX11/12 can co mingle and often do. DX11 is 60% of DX12. DX12 is where the advanced Dolby Vision (i.e. what EA Battlefront/MEA uses) and very amazing stuff happens if they recompile all the exixting videos and wave files to be an amazing blazing fast frame rate using all CPU/CPU cores humming away mult-threading. If the SWTOR recompile focus is DX12/64bit (lets say it comes out for xmas or next year) they get SWTOR running on XBONE/XBONE S, PS4/PS5, PC64, MAC64, and AOS which could be like 4 million potential subs!

Win8.1 support 64bit DX11.1 but why bother if it's sub 1% at that time?

Win10/PS4/XBONE/MAX support DX12 too and can downgrade to lower performing DX11 but in 2018 why bother? Why cripple the game and double the builds and support environments? Not really the best idea for BW.

SWTOR can solve the problem by just keeping their existing 32bit DX9 servers online for those who refuse to upgrade pc's, howver if the same have an xbone/ps4 they could migrate toons for a better game.

Edited by IntegrationArch

That's the answer, but it's not the answer to the question you think you were asking.

Yes back in 2012 or 2014 forcing 64bit gaming would be rude but in 2018 it would be standard mainline player base. Then offer the 32bit DX9 legacy base if they want to. In 2018, leading with 64bit DX12 gets SWTOR on so many new platforms that currently don't have any ablity to run the game stable.

While I fear it won't happen, I am fully support SWTOR going Vulkan, the FPS gains on very old ATI and AMD cards from Doom implementing Vulkan and tweaking it properly was amazing. Vulkan would allow SWTOR to hit more platforms and also allow it to run higher resolution graphics and more particle effects with less impact on users computers. They could really step up a lot of the visuals without it impacting people's PC'S if they went Vulkan and knew how to properly use it.

I would suggest *NIX is not a gaming platform by any majority and Vulcan is a tangent currently. Vulcan would make sence if it was NOT EA/BW and this game was open source or going that direction fast and it's not. Vulcan is not as close the hardware and DX12 is either and has less an abilty to be optimized. Croteam is EA'S competitor. Most of the advancement from Vulkan are baked into DX12.X And EA'S all over DX12 with their other titles so it's a better inhouse consolidation of knowledge and support base.

a suggestion that may end up satisfying both parties, perhaps daily areas can be used as a medium going forward to provide that repeatable content? And to satisfy the story people perhaps find a way to integrate story better into the daily areas? Perhaps in these daily areas can be with some one time quests to reacquire Old companions?

I was just thinking along these lines too.

How about they look at which companions are still absent.

Find existing appropriate daily/weekly content through which to return those companions.

And then have a seasonal "Companion Return" event as we already have with Rakghoul, Bounty Broker etc, events?

All The Best

Find existing appropriate daily/weekly content through which to return those companions.

And then have a seasonal "Companion Return" event as we already have with Rakghoul, Bounty Broker etc, events?

All The Best

Compainion return event woud be very good for SWTOR's population base over the past 3 to 5 years.

I would suggest *NIX is not a gaming platform by any majority and Vulcan is a tangent currently. Vulcan would make sence if it was NOT EA/BW and this game was open source or going that direction fast and it's not. Vulcan is not as close the hardware and DX12 is either and has less an abilty to be optimized. Croteam is EA'S competitor. Most of the advancement from Vulkan are baked into DX12.

I seriously think you don't know what you are talking about.

Vulkan is a low-level API that is very close to the hardware, and as a matter of fact dx12 has some bits of Vulkan in it due to the partnership of AMD with Microsoft and their involvement with Kronos.

Further, frostbite an EA engine is getting Vulkan support, and major video game publisher Bethesda has committed to developing all their video games going forward with Vulkan.

I seriously have been following Vulkan from the very beginning and think based on your comments you really aren't in the know in terms of what it is and what it can do.

There were Windows 10 PCS running Doom on Vulkan with old 280x hitting 45 FPS pre Vulkan, that were averaging 80 fps and at times touching 100 fps at 1080p on ULTRA settings.

And that's just one example. The Radeon 390 series and the new Polaris based cards also saw significant gains, at times up to 40% increase performance, all on ULTRA.

I think before you comment further you should do some actual research on Vulkan.

All The Best

I think some people would get upset if their companions return window was seasonal. But give a daily area a theme and overall mission to complete and have your companion be who you have to help to complete it, with the option to either gain the companion at the end, kill them, or let them walk away when you make your choice would be a great way to settle it as well as forward the story.

The great idea of new daily areas is that each daily area can that only have a theme but also tie into other daily areas forming a larger story. It all depends on how creative the writing is.

I seriously think you don't know what you are talking about. Vulkan is a low-level API that is very close to the hardware, and as a matter of fact dx12 has some bits of Vulkan in it due to the partnership of AMD with Microsoft and their involvement with Kronos. Further, frostbite an EA engine is getting Vulkan support, and major video game publisher Bethesda has committed to developing all their video games going forward with Vulkan.

I seriously have been following Vulkan from the very beginning and think based on your comments you really aren't in the know in terms of what it is and what it can do. There were Windows 10 PCS running Doom on Vulkan with old 280x hitting 45 FPS pre Vulkan, that were averaging 80 fps and at times touching 100 fps at 1080p on ULTRA settings. And that's just one example. The Radeon 390 series and the new Polaris based cards also saw significant gains, at times up to 40% increase performance, all on ULTRA. I think before you comment further you should do some actual research on Vulkan.

Vulkan conversion from DX9 will be harder to pull off at what benefit long term as *nix is less than 1% of game pcs.

My comments are from the positon of minimal surgical upgrades to SWTOR but not break the bank to make an upgrade cost more that they can start. The Vulcan adoption is still announced and it may never happen on many platforms and if your research it's not totally native.. It's a gamble. It's more support bugs. Vulkan will delay console versions too. For a new game with a 6 year lifespan maybe support both DX12 & Vulkan yes I know what it can do and like you said most of Vulkan's advancements are rolled into DX12. Vulkan also has the baggage of supporting legacy platforms like 32bit W7 so it makes the developer code across so many diciplines and that may unravel the best optimization and timely release progress on one. EA/BW's more likely to select a locked proprietary core vs one more open and in development over time with more risks to cracks and cheats. .

Not quite as old as Yoda, but suspect I'd give Obiwan...:D

It looks like we've completely hijacked this thread, but let me address your questions and then just know I'll update the Roadmap/start a new thread that provides details about the next 90 days. Keep in mind, I've learned from last time not to commit to a date of availability!

Big picture wise is re-engaging all of our systems (Ops, FPs, PvP, Story, GSF, Strongholds), and yes, QoL which means bugs or changes with a specific focus in mind (e.g., Group Finder, performance related-both server and client, gameplay experience - removing steps - like auto-completing quests, and more). Even though we will also add or extend story content, our primary focus is on Multi-player and repeatable content.

We absolutely have a Master List of bugs in our internal database and virtually every day, we triage the list to determine what's included in the next patch. When we do QoL changes, we review areas that will be changed and see if there are bugs or enhancements we can make within those same areas. With all the recent issues, I can see why we get hammered when problems arise, but I think everyone also knows anytime you change something, you increase the risk of breaking something else. We test extensively, yet, stuff still happens.

We have a bug forum and that's reviewed every day, too. Issues are provided to our QA team, so if you have something specific, especially something game-breaking report it there. If you discover an exploit, PM Musco right away.

I'm not sure what we're doing about DX11 or DX12, but, just like how this thread started, I'll definitely have it looked into.

---Keith

Good future plans, however is it wise to make such enormous plans when we still have a host of current problems? Class balance adjustments haven't solved all problems yet: mercs are still undying, dps pt/vanguard are still the squishiest class which dies mostly instantly in both ranked and unranked;, this class requires a some defense changes the population on most of the servers is low, people want either cross-server queues or server merge; numerous old buggs which must be fixed (bugged panel after warzone ends, bugged gear preview, bugged movements on huttball, bugged screenshot button etc); unsolved problem with bolster etc, etc.

You guys have much work to do, and it seems you are not informed about all problems you have :/

Edited by omaan

Vulkan conversion from DX9 will be harder to pull off at what benefit long term as *nix is less than 1% of game pcs.

My comments are from the positon of minimal surgical upgrades to SWTOR but not break the bank to make an upgrade cost more that they can start. The Vulcan adoption is still announced and it may never happen on many platforms and if your research it's not totally native.. It's a gamble. It's more support bugs. Vulkan will delay console versions too. For a new game with a 6 year lifespan maybe support both DX12 & Vulkan yes I know what it can do and like you said most of Vulkan's advancements are rolled into DX12. Vulkan also has the baggage of supporting legacy platforms like 32bit W7 so it makes the developer code across so many diciplines and that may unravel the best optimization and timely release progress on one. EA/BW's more likely to select a locked proprietary core vs one more open and in development over time with more risks to cracks and cheats. .

Did you bother or read anything I said? Why do you keep talking about *nix platforms? Vulkan allows for massive gains on Old Hardware on Windows x86 AND x64 platforms. Being able to expand the other platforms would just be a bonus. The point of Vulcan is not to expand other platforms but to offer a solution that is actually Superior to direct x 12.

Like I said I feel like you're talking out of your butt here and don't really comprehend what the heck Vulkan is.

Edited by ZionHalcyon

Windows 8 and 8.1 should be marginalized but it runs DX11.1, perhaps 1% of population when a SWTOR refresh were to hypothetically be available on new servers. . Also using server tools, SWTOR should be able to capture what each percentage of game clients are running and map that over time to set a 32but sunset end of life date.

The leadership is to skip DX 11/11.1 and just make a single solid platform on DX12. Here is why.

So DX11/12 can co mingle and often do. DX11 is 60% of DX12. DX12 is where the advanced Dolby Vision (i.e. what EA Battlefront/MEA uses) and very amazing stuff happens if they recompile all the exixting videos and wave files to be an amazing blazing fast frame rate using all CPU/CPU cores humming away mult-threading. If the SWTOR recompile focus is DX12/64bit (lets say it comes out for xmas or next year) they get SWTOR running on XBONE/XBONE S, PS4/PS5, PC64, MAC64, and AOS which could be like 4 million potential subs!

Win8.1 support 64bit DX11.1 but why bother if it's sub 1% at that time?

Win10/PS4/XBONE/MAX support DX12 too and can downgrade to lower performing DX11 but in 2018 why bother? Why cripple the game and double the builds and support environments? Not really the best idea for BW.

SWTOR can solve the problem by just keeping their existing 32bit DX9 servers online for those who refuse to upgrade pc's, howver if the same have an xbone/ps4 they could migrate toons for a better game.

Uh... what? DirectX is being developed by Microsoft and it is ONLY supported on their platforms.

I seriously think you don't know what you are talking about.

I think that much is clear.

E:

May we get new Miraluka masks?

Yes, please!

Edited by Riftgrinder

The mac pros I have around are for testing IRL applications (ERP apps and 802.11) and have Intel chips and MAC bootcamp or parallels DX12 of course. If your interested it's official for W10:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204990

Direct Physics middleware is AMD optimized and know what chips are inside PS.

QoL which means bugs or changes with a specific focus in mind

Top of my hat, couple of entries that would be most welcome.

Top 9 are a must have.

1. Fix gear preview window
  2. Fix sliding loading screen splash screen
  3. Add a Forum icon for Stronghold section (Not a joke)
  4. Hot key mouse steering toogle (steering hurts some of us)
  5. Allow to change the UI font to a non bold one (bold is difficult to read and tiring for the eye)
  6. Color blind mode and allow other choices of color than red/green distinction which is very unfriendly for colorblind people (9.5% males in NA)
  7. Detach and tweak UI players RAID frames one from the other and only display cleansable effects
  8. Mouse over healing
  9. One button Ignore/report spammers account wide
  10. Allow players to read/write emails remotely without a timer nor CD
  11. Allow players to browse the GTN remotely
  12. Add an in game calendar for guilds
  13. Add an in game mass mailing to guilds
  14. Legacy Wallet (for subs or CC unlock)
  15. Scale UI frames individually
  16. Add a detachable and resizeable world map
  17. Detach Long term buffs from the combat ones for better readability
  18. Dedicated legacy crafting mats storage
  19. Option not to automatically sort out characters at login screen by last played one.
  20. Add a field for Input price per unit on the GTN
  21. Increase GTN search input box length
  22. Have splitting tags function remember last amount selected (useful for selling mats on the GTN)
  23. Target of target damage transfer in PvE
  24. Move toys into abilities
  25. Regroup abilities by Active/Passive
  26. Add 2+ quick slot bars (need more with less buttons)
  27. Allow to map hotkey directly to any skill, pet, vehicles without needing to add them into quick slots.
  28. Hide/edit companions quick slot bar and allow to move all their skills in players quick slot bars or key bind directly
  29. Tag bound items with a specific icon/border to distinguish them easily
  30. Allow to macro emotes and also to drop them into quick slots/keybindings
  31. Hot key to toggle names display
  32. Add dual specs and one button gear/specs switch
  33. Differentiate harvesting nodes one form the others depending the crew skills
  34. Allow players not to play specific WZ they don't like
  35. Add hot key bindings do switch to specific wardrobes sets
  36. Allow gear, weapons, mounts, pets to be tied to specific combinations
  37. Allow to edit the conquest, DvL and stronghold UI frame
  38. Option to automatically skip WZ cinematic
  39. Remove the 2 days timer for unpacking CM items
  40. More, much much more filters to the crafting UI
  41. By default have all the sub menu (crafting, quests, recipe vendors...) collapsed.

Now one of the biggest issue I have is inventory management.

I have around 2.000 items spreads between all my alts (plus hundreds in the CM storage) and it's a pain to maintain. Even at times it's frustrating to be stuck with such unfriendly systems. I keep them because their either don't stack, or I don't have the full sets or I do but the unlock is so expensive that I keep them until I'm certain on which character I will use them.

I'd love to be able to drop everything (but the bound items) in a CM like inventory, having all of them automatically stacked then being able to sort them out. Think I would pay north of 2000CC for this feature, especially if it's topped by a legacy wide wallet.

Edited by Deewe

Great and valid list, for inventory management i would like to rebox similar items back into created sets and even box all my random crystals or implants or 4 crafting supplies used to make a something into a created box.

The color blind fix could be a game skin Red/Green or Blue/Yellow high contrast option. Also a Yellow object could get a number 1 on it, and a green object could be number 2 on it....

---Keith

Ok I've got to know...

Which Obi Wan.

Star Wars IV 1977 Obi Wan

or

Star Wars I 1999 Obi Wan

There is a big difference there... so come on spill it.... :D

We have a bug forum and that's reviewed every day, too. Issues are provided to our QA team, so if you have something specific, especially something game-breaking report it there....

It's quite sad, but not unreasonable, to question whether the bolded part of the quote even exists as more than a pin or a hat stuck on some overworked intern.

If I wasn't a believer in Hanlon's razor, I'd think you were purposely trying to drive players away with a lot of moves that have been made. But I "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

:(

Edited by docbenwayddo

We absolutely have a Master List of bugs in our internal database and virtually every day, we triage the list to determine what's included in the next patch. When we do QoL changes, we review areas that will be changed and see if there are bugs or enhancements we can make within those same areas. With all the recent issues, I can see why we get hammered when problems arise, but I think everyone also knows anytime you change something, you increase the risk of breaking something else. We test extensively, yet, stuff still happens.

---Keith

So when do you think you might make sorc dps viable in pve content instead of continuously keeping it at the low end of the spectrum? OR can we just have you guys for once tell us why you guys are so disconnected with the performance of this class?