Custom (Orange) Items

MatthewJBarnard

Quick question:

Do orange armor and items have stats themselves or are the stats determined only by the mods that have been installed.

That is to say: If I love the way a gun or piece of armor looks, can I keep that item with me and use it for the whole game, simply upgrading the mods as I go? Or will that item eventually be inferior to custom armor and items I find in the future?

Thanks!

Edited by MatthewJBarnard

Are all medium armors identical (the only distinction is between light, medium, and heavy, not between level 10 medium and level 30 medium)?

Yes, all 'orange' Medium armors for the same slot are completely identical with their mods removed.

Yes, if you take a level 10 orange chest and you remove all mods, enhancements and armor pieces, and you do the same with a lev 30 one (providing they are both the same class L-M-H) you'll see there is no difference except for the looks.

ok cool, but is it viable at max level if I put all the best mods and enchantments in them?

ok cool, but is it viable at max level if I put all the best mods and enchantments in them?

Yes. You'll get epic mod/enhancement and armoring from the heroic dailies (1 of each per day) that can just go right into these. The main difference between this and the epic gear is that it will have a higher armor rating than these and that slot will be locked and some epics have no slots at all.

Doing this is great for gearing up (without pvp) for the flashpoints and hardmodes. Also useful for companions, get an orange piece from low level FP, toss its mods and throw in what you get from the dailies.

Yeah, definitely viable. At the very least at 50 you get access to daily and weekly quests on Ilum and Belsavis that reward commendations to be used for purple mods. (and some other purple items) If you do the full set you can get about 1 mod per day (or very close to it).