Hood Toggle has been "in the works" since February, 2012

Pingonaut

Yes, and some of the replies to the topic of a hood toggle proves precisely this. Because they are not interested in the option they believe it is a waste of time and resources, and that people who do want the option and who do push for it are beating it to death.

Of course I understand how few people there are on the development team, and what problems proceeded this Q&A, it's very clear. The point I'm trying to make is that it is still something players want, and not something we've forgotten about. If we don't bring up suggestions and make it clear that we want something they won't even take it into consideration because they don't even know we want it.

If they have forgotten about it, we can show them that we haven't and that it is still something we want.

Didn't know this. What was it they said?

That he loved his hood toggle in dark age of camelot. As far as I remember it was a diplomatic answer of the "wall of crazy" kind.

Table:

If a diplomat says "yes" then it means "perhaps"

If he says "perhaps" then it means "no"

If he says "no" then he's not a diplomat.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, and some of the replies to the topic of a hood toggle proves precisely this. Because they are not interested in the option they believe it is a waste of time and resources, and that people who do want the option and who do push for it are beating it to death.

Of course I understand how few people there are on the development team, and what problems proceeded this Q&A, it's very clear. The point I'm trying to make is that it is still something players want, and not something we've forgotten about. If we don't bring up suggestions and make it clear that we want something they won't even take it into consideration because they don't even know we want it.

If they have forgotten about it, we can show them that we haven't and that it is still something we want.

Didn't know this. What was it they said?

I guess my frustration is seeing all these threads about hood toggle, capes clipping in mounts and lack of day/night cycling. All this teeth gnashing over cosmetic things that many players could give a turd about when not only do we have a serious lack of fresh content, we are getting little about what is upcoming.

OTOH I guess its a little better than the dozen threads about lack of fresh content we had a couple of weeks ago. Oh well.

That he loved his hood toggle in dark age of camelot. As far as I remember it was a diplomatic answer of the "wall of crazy" kind.

Color dyes, Galactic Star Fighter, player housing, guild housing were all on the wall of crazy for a long time. :jawa_wink:

I guess my frustration is seeing all these threads about hood toggle, capes clipping in mounts and lack of day/night cycling. All this teeth gnashing over cosmetic things that many players could give a turd about when not only do we have a serious lack of fresh content, we are getting little about what is upcoming.

OTOH I guess its a little better than the dozen threads about lack of fresh content we had a couple of weeks ago. Oh well.

You say "seeing all these threads" but there aren't that many. Hood toggle has always been at least a possibility, while cape clipping doesn't work with the engine and day/night cycle would damage story quest continuity.

It's not "teeth gnashing," either. We're bringing up these topics because if we don't bring them up BioWare won't even know that we want them. Here's an example:

BioWare has to use resources where needed, and things get put on the back burner. Okay, but those things on the back burner will eventually get worked on, like GSF (no matter your opinion on it). What if nobody ever expressed any interest in something like GSF? What if people never brought up the idea because they were afraid of being put down by those who are not interested in it? Then GSF would never be on the back burner, or any burner for that matter. It would never even be on the idea list because BioWare didn't know we were interested.

The same goes with things like hood toggle. If we do not post threads expressing our interest in having a hood toggle, reminding them that we still do want it eventually, BioWare will not even put it on their to-do list. Your personal tastes do not reflect the entire player population of the game. Not everybody who plays the game does the same thing. Some raid, some PvP, and others are more focused on the story or RP. Each has their own agenda, and each one gets their ideas and wants bashed into the ground because the other population of players don't feel that it is necessary.

Don't be so quick to call something a "waste of time" or a "waste of resources" just because it is not your personal priority, or your personal idea of what would make the game better.

Edited by Pingonaut

Those are far easier to monetize, as far as the CM is concerned. How do you monetize a hood toggle?

Easy, as with other buyable features like "White eyes, Human Hair Option" "Human Hair Colors" features, make it,put it up for sale on the CM, the people who want it will buy it, the people like the ones screaming "Its a waste of time/resources" wont.

No one will force the people who don't care about hood toggles to buy the ability, no more then no one forces Preferred/Free to Play players to buy "Hide Helmet" and the like.

Again, its once again boiling down to "I don't like/want it so don't you dare do it instead of what -I- want!"

Edited by XiamaraSimi

Easy, as with other buyable features like "White eyes, Human Hair Option" "Human Hair Colors" features, make it,put it up for sale on the CM, the people who want it will buy it, the people like the ones screaming "Its a waste of time/resources" wont.

No one will force the people who don't care about hood toggles to buy the ability, no more then no one forces Preferred/Free to Play players to buy "Hide Helmet" and the like.

I doubt it would end well quite honestly, especially considering that promotional videos for this game - way before release(!!!) - always implied that a hood toggle was available.

Those are far easier to monetize, as far as the CM is concerned. How do you monetize a hood toggle?

You make it something you buy on the CM. I don't know what's so hard to believe that you'd pay for a hood toggle. You could also make it like the color unification works, subscribers get it and everyone else pays for it. Color unification came with color dyes, and those were on the wall of crazy.

I doubt it would end well quite honestly, especially considering that promotional videos for this game - way before release(!!!) - always implied that a hood toggle was available.

Perhaps in the most basic form. It seems to me that those hood-down armors were actually separate models, they weren't using a toggle, just a different armor model that other NPCs use.

Edited by Pingonaut

At this point at least to me and friends I've talked to, its pretty much a given that any QoL features will be CM. We wanted new races, they let us buy Cathar. We wanted new hairstyles, well, they let us buy them [granted it was nowhere near enough nor spread to enough other races but that's another point entirely] the game is now free to play, to assume everything we want will be free is just deluding yourself, they need to get revenue to make up for the leeches somewhere.

Edited by XiamaraSimi

[

Don't be so quick to call something a "waste of time" or a "waste of resources" just because it is not your personal priority, or your personal idea of what would make the game better.[/color]

I did not call them or mean to infer they were a waste of time. I guess I was letting my frustration get the better of me. As to the "teeth gnashing", just look at the comments in threads calling the devs lazy and incompetent because someones pet feature is not included. I was not pointing at you.

My point was that we see these calls for features that some players want, and others do not want or do not care about. OTOH, all of us are feeling the need for fresh content.

I did not call them or mean to infer they were a waste of time. I guess I was letting my frustration get the better of me. As to the "teeth gnashing", just look at the comments in threads calling the devs lazy and incompetent because someones pet feature is not included. I was not pointing at you.

My point was that we see these calls for features that some players want, and others do not want or do not care about. OTOH, all of us are feeling the need for fresh content.

The people calling devs lazy don't speak for the majority of players with legitimate ideas and suggestions. If the devs only listened to what the majority wants we wouldn't have color unification, dyes, GSF, player housing, or a majority of what makes this game enjoyable. We would have a game that was made with the vocal community in mind, leaving the rest of the players without, and forced to leave.

My point: A portion of the community not being interested in suggestions that another portion wants does not make the ideas any less relevant.

Edited by Pingonaut

You make it something you buy on the CM. I don't know what's so hard to believe that you'd pay for a hood toggle. You could also make it like the color unification works, subscribers get it and everyone else pays for it. Color unification came with color dyes, and those were on the wall of crazy.

This is something I could get behind.

Perhaps in the most basic form. It seems to me that those hood-down armors were actually separate models, they weren't using a toggle, just a different armor model that other NPCs use.

I'm aware of that.

Regardless, my point remains: It was ALWAYS heavily implied that a hood toggle of sorts would be in place, ages before the game was released.

They knew this but like so many other things, they just chose to ignore it altogether.

At this point at least to me and friends I've talked to, its pretty much a given that any QoL features will be CM. We wanted new races, they let us buy Cathar. We wanted new hairstyles, well, they let us buy them [granted it was nowhere near enough nor spread to enough other races but that's another point entirely] the game is now free to play, to assume everything we want will be free is just deluding yourself, they need to get revenue to make up for the leeches somewhere.

I wouldn't call a hood toggle a QoL improvement quite honestly.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Regardless, my point remains: It was ALWAYS heavily implied that a hood toggle of sorts would be in place, ages before the game was released.

They knew this but like so many other things, they just chose to ignore it altogether.

I'm not so sure they chose to ignore it, more that it became less of a priority and didn't officially tell us.

I wouldn't call a hood toggle a QoL improvement quite honestly.

It depends on what kind of player you are, the point of view. There's no good reason to say it is unnecessary, though.

Edited by Pingonaut

I'm not so sure they chose to ignore it, more that it became less of a priority and didn't officially tell us.

True.

It depends on what kind of player you are, the point of view. There's no good reason to say it is unnecessary, though.

Well, my knowledge of MMO lingo is ever growing but I always assumed that a QoL improvement would be something akin to improving your core experience with the game, as far as accessibility is concerned.

Stuff like the upcoming Legacy bank. Great QoL improvement ever or very close at least. :D

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Well, my knowledge of MMO lingo is ever growing but I always assumed that a QoL improvement would be something akin to improving your core experience with the game, as far as accessibility is concerned.

Stuff like the upcoming Legacy bank. Great QoL improvement ever or very close at least. :D

I'd say things like color unification and hood toggle would be QoL, but that doesn't mean it is any less necessary than any other suggestion.

I am really annoyed that they're not including more hood down variants for existing stuff since they resigned from the hood toggle. Lots of rpers would be really happy to be able to switch between hood/down chest pieces of the same model.

It seems to me that they really don't understand how important RPers are to the game and their business, or they really don't understand what they want. When I say RPers I also include those who try to get immersed in the game without RPing outwardly. Including them in the term RPer it becomes a much large audience, all of them wanting things like this to improve their immersion.

Edited by Pingonaut

I'd say things like color unification and hood toggle would be QoL, but that doesn't mean it is any less necessary than any other suggestion.

It seems to me that they really don't understand how important RPers are to the game and their business, or they really don't understand what they want. When I say RPers I also include those who try to get immersed in the game without RPing outwardly. Including them in the term RPer it becomes a much large audience, all of them wanting things like this to improve their immersion.

As someone who has been a player of RPG's since Wizardry 1 and D&D first edition I am big into immersion. I have played every class story with most of them twice.

YOU DO NOT SPEAK FOR ME.

Same as the threads about dynamic day/night cycles. Well crafted interesting stories is what my immersion is about. This trend of picking a feature and claiming everyone who likes immersion must want it is absurd.

As I said in another thread:

Your immersion is my annoyance or unimportant and I am sure it goes the other way.

Edited by RandomXChance

This is the reason why they have stopped giving pieces of information like that until they are completely ready to show it and they are certain that it's coming. People always get carried away by it, thinking that it's 100% certainty that it will come when they say things like that. What the probably meant that it was in a planning stage but later had to divert resources.

Did you read the Community Q & A? It says "It won't be in 1.2 but should be in the next major update" This isn't idle speculation we were told it'd be in game a long a** time ago.

I was scouring my old bookmarks and found this, for what is worth...

(...) “The Class story arcs will be continued with future updates, future content packs and we’ll certainly be supporting both threads. Expect more, and expect it sooner than later.”

They said it, right? So... I guess it's bound to happen somehow. ;)

As someone who has been a player of RPG's since Wizardry 1 and D&D first edition I am big into immersion. I have played every class story with most of them twice.

YOU DO NOT SPEAK FOR ME.

Same as the threads about dynamic day/night cycles. Well crafted interesting stories is what my immersion is about. This trend of picking a feature and claiming everyone who likes immersion must want it is absurd.

As I said in another thread:

Your immersion is my annoyance or unimportant and I am sure it goes the other way.

I'm sorry, but that post didn't make any sense to me. The post you quoted never gave any indication that I or someone else was attempting to speak for you or anybody else, and I couldn't even make out what you were attempting to say toward the end.

They said it, right? So... I guess it's bound to happen somehow. ;)

I think the story of Makeb was the spiritual successor to the class stories, or something like that.

Edited by Pingonaut

Truth remains that they never said anything about the hood toggle, which some might still believe to be in works since 2012. Nothing. Absolutely nothing apart from the mentioned, obscure q&a. Was it ever planned? If it was in works, they obviously did SOMETHING at least. Was it postponed? Was it halted ? Edited by Alec_Fortescue

I'm sorry, but that post didn't make any sense to me. The post you quoted never gave any indication that I or someone else was attempting to speak for you or anybody else, and I couldn't even make out what you were attempting to say toward the end.

Did you miss that line there where you declare what all of those who are seeking immersion desire? For the record, nearly all players are seeking some level of immersion, that is why we are playing the game.

Immersion is fundamental to all entertainment media such as books, movies and games. The key is that what works for some does not work for others.

Edited by RandomXChance

Truth remains that they never said anything about the hood toggle, which some might still believe to be in works since 2012. Nothing. Absolutely nothing apart from the mentioned, obscure q&a. Was it ever planned? If it was in works, they obviously did SOMETHING at least. Was it postponed? Was it halted ?

it was listed in a state of the game in the beginning of 2013 as being one of the incoming qol features. Then, in a video q&a a few months later, Bruce said it was "too hard" to do. That was the last I've seen of it from BW but you can't get anything more official than from Jeff or Bruce in this game.