a new type of battleground?

Sir_LogiC

I really don't like the idea that gear determines skill in PvP, to an extent. Why can't there be a battleground where skill alone determines your success and all gear is equal? I can think of a couple different ways to implement this. Plus it would remove all argument of gear inequality too.

First- Hutt Battle Arena. Some Hutt that operates what would essentially be gladiatorial games. The lure is each faction brings the best of their heroes for a brutal game of skill. Each team has a couple minutes to choose pre-determined sets of gear in team colours (can be random too! red, blue, green, etc). Winning side gives prestige to their faction and loser brings shame.

Second- Shuttle Sabotage. Takes place on the outside of a space shuttle carrying a VIP. Since it is in space each team needs space suits of sorts (provided and with pre-determined stats). Teams have to attack and defend at the same time. One team has to attack the control droid at the front of the craft. If it gets sliced the ship is commandeered and the VIP lost to the enemy. The other team has to sabotage the engines (deactivate them) to ensure the shuttle cannot be commandeered. Beware the edges, getting punted into space results in a trip to respawn!

Competitive PvP really needs something like this. You still get tokens to get other PvP gear yet it is a style of PvP that allows those that love competitive play to play on a level field. Good ideas, or bad? Discuss.

you are playing "WARZONE" that are not open world enviroment

you are asking for "WARZONE" or anyway a controlled enviroment (same number)

you don't like gear (or anything that speak about character advancment because in that case it will always interfere with your concept of skill)

you doesn't seem the "social type", you probably are the type "you sux i got skill" (this is just a guess I may be wrong here) and with social i dont mean your cute pre-made group but interacting with different player everyday on a level that is a little bit more intellectual the red=dead

honest question why are you playing an MMORPG?

really gear+open consistent world+social aspect = MMORPG

the game you are looking for exist and is not this one

Edited by Pekish

Yes warzones. Instanced PvP battle zones.

I like gearing up, though I don't like over-simplified stats too much. This games seems alright, since force reserve is limited it means things like alacrity and crit have different values in different areas.

No I am not the social type but in exactly the opposite way you describe. I never quit a WZ, regardless of anything. I will fight to the end. I play on a PvE server because I also like PvE content and plan to hopefully raid when I can. I have never played in a premade group in this game, currently I am level 45 and my ideas were based on collecting knowledge about what people are complaining about and moulded with my own ideas and values.

I like MMO's, the permanency and interaction give more meaning to accomplishments than the simple back-patting a single player game can do. I really fail to see how making a warzone with equal gear takes anything away from the social aspect. In fact a forced level field is probably better for competitive play because it removes any doubt gear had anything to do with a win or loss.

Now if you are finished with your ad hominem argument, got any actual thoughts on the proposed ideas?

I really don't like the idea that gear determines skill in PvP, to an extent. Why can't there be a battleground where skill alone determines your success and all gear is equal? I can think of a couple different ways to implement this. Plus it would remove all argument of gear inequality too.

First- Hutt Battle Arena. Some Hutt that operates what would essentially be gladiatorial games. The lure is each faction brings the best of their heroes for a brutal game of skill. Each team has a couple minutes to choose pre-determined sets of gear in team colours (can be random too! red, blue, green, etc). Winning side gives prestige to their faction and loser brings shame.

Second- Shuttle Sabotage. Takes place on the outside of a space shuttle carrying a VIP. Since it is in space each team needs space suits of sorts (provided and with pre-determined stats). Teams have to attack and defend at the same time. One team has to attack the control droid at the front of the craft. If it gets sliced the ship is commandeered and the VIP lost to the enemy. The other team has to sabotage the engines (deactivate them) to ensure the shuttle cannot be commandeered. Beware the edges, getting punted into space results in a trip to respawn!

Competitive PvP really needs something like this. You still get tokens to get other PvP gear yet it is a style of PvP that allows those that love competitive play to play on a level field. Good ideas, or bad? Discuss.

We'd need to take Bolstering to the next level, but it could work. I like it.

I think this is a great idea! Having a specific warzone that all gear is equal would be great. It would be a nice change from the standard warzone that is so gear dependent(especially at lvl 50). I have noticed a lot of people rerolling new characters after lvl 50 specifically because lvl 10-49 pvp is so much more exciting. Having a non gear oriented pvp type would be a nice way to gain commendations and valor without having to sacrifice your character to battlemasters and War Heroes. Now I understand that people who have worked for and earned BM and WH gear should be powerful, but having a way for fresh 50s and people tired of gear dependency to still enjoy Swtor's great pvp.