Ep 7. Could the Empire still be in charge?

Nataph

I am reading some of the cast members and some are British actors (it has appeared in all movies along with the clone wars that the Empire and TOR, Empire speaks with British accents) I am starting to think that The New republic has never been made and in fact the Empire is still under Sith Control. Also with the new line of books, and now will be considered cannon, all seem to be Empire side. With the cartoon REbels running from the Empire, while books like Tarkin and Lords of the Sith, it seems to me that one way to throw a big curve ball for star wars and being JJ Abrahams is make the Empire still in charge and Luke and the Jedi are still running from the Sith.

I am reading some of the cast members and some are British actors (it has appeared in all movies along with the clone wars that the Empire and TOR, Empire speaks with British accents) I am starting to think that The New republic has never been made and in fact the Empire is still under Sith Control. Also with the new line of books, and now will be considered cannon, all seem to be Empire side. With the cartoon REbels running from the Empire, while books like Tarkin and Lords of the Sith, it seems to me that one way to throw a big curve ball for star wars and being JJ Abrahams is make the Empire still in charge and Luke and the Jedi are still running from the Sith.

That's an interesting theory, but we really won't know till the movie comes out, or plot details get leaked, right? I'd like it if that was true though.

It wouldn't make sense, at all, for the Empire to fall apart just because they killed the Emperor, and destroyed a handful of Star Destroyers out in the middle of no where. What about the Moffs? All the other ranking Imperial officers? The fact that the Imperial Navy is alive and well?

They don't just disappear now that the Emperor is dead. I hope the Empire is still around and largely in charge. It would make for a more interesting story, in any case.

I have a hard time understanding why people want the Empire and all evil to win so badly.

George Lucas was inspired by old movie serials as a child. In those films, the bad guys would have their day and no matter how powerful they were or how great their advantage(s) are, the good guys always win.

This has been, is, and always will be the conclusion of every story, whether in novel form, movie, or cartoon, video game, or TV drama this will always be the case: The Good Guys Will Always Win!

I'm sorry to break your hearts.

Edited by Darth_Krushya
spelling, grammar, more info

I have a hard time understanding why people want the Empire and all evil to win so badly.

George Lucas was inspired by old movie serials as a child. In those films, the bad guys would have their day and no matter how powerful they were or how great their advantage(s) are, the good guys always win.

This has been, is, and always will be the conclusion of every story, whether in novel form, movie, or cartoon, video game, or TV drama this will always be the case: The Good Guys Will Always Win!

I don't think it's about people wanting the bad guys to win, just that it doesn't make logical sense for the empire to just disappear after the emperor's death. This would most likely make the imperial remnant the bad guys for the new trilogy.

It would be cool if they went with someone like Natasi Daala unifying the various fighting factions to try and take full control of the galaxy again, while fighting the New Republic and the New Jedi Order.

Thirty years after the defeat at Endor is a long time to whittle down and destroy the Empire. It would make sense that it is no longer around in the form everyone remembers. Despite their numerical advantage, Imperial forces would have retreated and regrouped. There would have been power struggles among the Moffs and even the surviving Admirals, leading to fractures among Imperial leaders.

The Empire is not going to be running a majority of the galaxy. It will probably exist in some form, but not like it was in the Original Trilogy.

I'm not so sure. Lets throw out the Extended Universe for this discussion...

...the "re-cut" Return of the Jedi seems to imply an "overthrow" of the regime, as we see massive demonstrations of celebration across many planets (including the capital).

I think a remnant of the Empire could still theoretically be around and causing a threat in some sort of a civil war scenario, but I don't think it wouldn't make sense of them to be "in charge".

Actually, without the Sith (and with the "Return of the Jedi") the Empire should be pretty much marginalized and I'm not sure could survive thirty more years of civil war.

All depends on what the Sith are up to, of course. If they are even in the movie.

- Arcada

Edited by Nydus

I know they've more or less scrapped it from the canon, but have we already forgotten the old EU?

This movie takes place in 34 ABY, 30 years after ROTJ; in 34 ABY in the old EU the Empire was no longer in control and was a Remnant of its former self, only ruling a fraction of the territory they once had. We were all willing to accept this in the old EU, why are people suddenly having a hard time believing that the Empire could be defeated by the time of Episode VII?

Seven

Usual Suspects? etc etc etc

Pulp Fiction

Train spotting

I'm sorry to break it to your heart.

Seven

Usual Suspects? etc etc etc

Pulp Fiction

Train spotting

I'm sorry to break it to your heart.

Pretty sure he was talking about Star Wars. Where this has essentially always been the case... though I would argue Episode 3 didn't have a "happy ending". That came later.

It wouldn't make sense, at all, for the Empire to fall apart just because they killed the Emperor, and destroyed a handful of Star Destroyers out in the middle of no where. What about the Moffs? All the other ranking Imperial officers? The fact that the Imperial Navy is alive and well?

They don't just disappear now that the Emperor is dead. I hope the Empire is still around and largely in charge. It would make for a more interesting story, in any case.