My Smuggler Is Not A Total Jerk

Hadsil

Playing a second run through with a Smuggler. This time I did not romance Risha. This Smuggler doesn't like her. I didn't want to romance Akaavi either, but eventually I got to the only options of (flirt) all in on love, flirt (casual), and no. I remember this option on my first Smuggler. I chose no that time and came off as a bigot for not wanting to be with a woman with horns. That wasn't it at all. I was romancing Risha and was staying loyal. I didn't flirt with any NPC after we became a couple. This Smuggler flirts with all NPCs when available and I didn't want to hook up with any Companion, but the game forced me with Akaavi. I took the Casual option (with bed time) and I think Akaavi is ok with it if disappointed it's nothing more, but I wanted to decline. Declining meant being a bigot again. That is uncalled for.

That is how this game is. Either you go along with whatever relationship the Devs preplanned for your character or you come off as an ****. Sometimes it is great, such as when you tell off Doc or Corso when they can not take no for an answer, but in almost all cases declining a romance makes your character sound like a jerk. I have heard, from a Dev, that conversation was hard because they were limited to only three options, but that is no excuse for making several of the romance decline choices rude.

"Casual flirting" isn't really in the vocabulary of the devs.

The general rule of thumb in this game is that if you don't want to romance anyone, don't flirt with them.

The point is not wanting to flirt with Akaavi means your Smuggler is a bigot because when you decline your toon mocks the idea of being with a woman with horns. Later I was able to tell Akaavi I only wanted to be friends. I object to how they portrayed the initial rejection of romance. Not romancing Risha didn't have this problem. The other classes declining to pursue a romance didn't have this problem. The reason for the initial declining to flirt with Akaavi was not necessary. Just wanting to be friends should have been the initial decline, not the second.