FREE Character Transfers are Coming!

ktkenshinx

Yes. Absolutely. Once you pass the 3 hour queue to log in, right?

This game has never had 3 hour queues, even during head start i never had to wait more than 10-15mins to get on and the servers were being slammed. Better that than standing around having no warzones pop until late at night like it is for me now. I'd have thought that my statement about hanging back to see which servers populate would have made it clear my choice would be measured.

Edited by Kabaal

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game has never had 3 hour queues, even during head start i never had to wait more than 10-15mins to get on and the servers were being slammed. Better that than standing around having no warzones pop until late at night like it is for me now.

Lucky you. I had 3 hours on Ebon Hawk at launch, and recently, just last week in fact, I saw almost that on Fatman. Nice going to extremes in your post, though. You don't need a Fatman pop to get into WZs. :rolleyes:

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Well, good for you. I'll decide when the time comes and it certainly won't be to another light or medium pop server just to have the same thing happen as on my current one.

Yeah because current, and what's going to be happening is exactly the same scenario... :rolleyes:

It's amazing how people can totally disregard past success with the same situation as this. This is nothing new, people. It really isn't, hehhehe

I remember all the threads last week of people begging others to stop rolling on Fatman. I also remember seeing quite the queue on that server for several days.

You really wanna repeat that?

As i said on my original post, they can take a snapshot of lvl 50 accounts on each server and allow to transfer to a high pop server only if at ... lets say ... yesterday, they already had a lvl 50 toon on that server.

This way, server population is not affected at all, but people that have invested lots of time is rewarded as it should be.

Yeah because current, and what's going to be happening is exactly the same scenario... :rolleyes:

It's amazing how people can totally disregard past success with the same situation as this. This is nothing new, people. It really isn't, hehhehe

I still don't get your point, do you have one? What part of me waiting once the transfers come into play to see which servers end up with heavy population before making my choice has anything to do with other games past successes or failures? Or is it just a case of being contrary for the sake of it?

I still don't get your point, do you have one? What part of me waiting once the transfers come into play to see which servers end up with heavy population before making my choice has anything to do with other games past successes or failures? Or is it just a case of being contrary for the sake of it?

As long as you're waiting to see which has a heavy population and then DON'T choose that one, you're being wise. Because the proof is in the pudding. History has shown that those that did that in the past had lovely queues. While those that chose the medium pops never had a problem in PvP queues or LFG queues. ;)

Edited by JeramieCrowe

As i said on my original post, they can take a snapshot of lvl 50 accounts on each server and allow to transfer to a high pop server only if at ... lets say ... yesterday, they already had a lvl 50 toon on that server.

This way, server population is not affected at all, but people that have invested lots of time is rewarded as it should be.

I gotcha. You already have a character on the destination server with character slots available, so adding another character to one of those slots will not affect the population. Yeah, okay. I bet a manual transfer is in store for the few that applies to. For free, of course.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

I gotcha. You already have a character on the destination server with character slots available, so adding another character to one of those slots will not affect the population. Yeah, okay. I bet a manual transfer is in store for the few that applies to. For free, of course.

Thats not what they have said, and thats the reason for my upset, they first makes me play a dead server because their tiny shards at launch (i did read devs asking people to spread on light servers at alaunch and did it), now they want me to pay extra money in order to finally play as i should have been able from day 1.

THATS AN OUTRAGE.

I've got 50's on 2 dead servers, I rolled on Fatman last night as a BH and OMG it's like a totally different game. there were 90 freaking people on the starter planet! 90 People! I've never seen that many people on Fleet in my other servers.

There were people running around everywhere, the chat box was full of chatter, I actually did both Heroics with a quick LFG....

My only issue now is I would rather be a S.I or a S.W but since I have both already and have done the content twice basically I just cant stomache doing it all again.

This is the only thing about 12 poeple (myself included) talk about on Trayus Academy.

Honestly, thats how active a server we have, there is no incentive at all to stay there but i'm not abandoning my only 50 which I put so much time and effort into.

We as a collective need it now!

This is the only thing about 12 poeple (myself included) talk about on Trayus Academy.

Honestly, thats how active a server we have, there is no incentive at all to stay there but i'm not abandoning my only 50 which I put so much time and effort into.

We as a collective need it now!

sadly it will be a couple of months wait..

hopefully they can push it up but i wouldnt bank on it by any means.

Bioware has done some pretty good pr work as of late. trying to address our issues. I think they have done a complete 180 turn around from their first months in the mmo world. So who knows. maybe transfers will come sooner..

I'm on a reasonably populated EU server, so I doubt I'll be making use of the transfer scheme. But I know server population will have a huge effect on players willingness to play long term - and that matters a lot to me. I want the game to succeed and anything that gets in the way is something I'm going to take an interest in.

I should be happy transfers are coming. But honestly I'm not.

Reading the quote...

Arymono: When will character transfers be available for everybody?

Dallas Dickinson (Senior Producer, Live Services): We will be rolling out our Character Transfer Service in early summer. First we’ll have some targeted free transfers from/to specific servers, but that will be followed with a broader system where you can either take advantage of free promotional transfers to specific servers or paid transfers to the server of your choice. We know everyone has more questions about character transfer, and we’ll reveal more details closer to the launch date.

Okay. So taking it apart.

• We can expect Server tranfers towards the end of June, early July. (*cough* provisionally) Edit: not may/june as I originally typed
  • They're opening FREE transfers FROM servers they choose TO servers they choose. On a limited basis.
  • Not on the list? Don't like Bioware's choice of where you can move to? Tough! Get your wallet out!

And it's those two final points that really take the shine off this revelation.

Right or wrong, Bioware is directly responsible for server populations.

They made a choice during the pre-launch and launch of how distribute people across servers. At the time, they deliberately lowered server population caps to ensure servers didn't get overwhelmed. Then raised them slowly over time to reduce the artificial queues the lower caps generated. It had the desired effect and people chose other servers and in so doing, spread the community out across a great number of servers. I'm reasonably sure they also had in mind what happens when a lot of people play their initial 30 days and then stopped player. Overall, I think they made some poor decisions that were the best decisions apparent at the time without hindsight. They announced recently that it has become clear now that server populations could double and still be okay.

Whilst people made the choices, Bioware's policies and approach gave them no other choice. So in effect, Bioware generated the problem, however indirectly, and think charging people to sort it out is just great.

But... but... "FREE!!!".

LIMITED free. Whilst there's still no details exactly, we can probably expect single server to single server transfers recommendations, or maybe two or three servers to single server. What we won't get it customer choice. Some friends of mine intended to play on our server, but when the queues in the initial days were so high, they did what lots of people did and picked another server. They currently regret that choice and are rerolling low level characters on our server ahead of a character transfer announcement. The chances that Bioware's choice of transfers are going to include their server to our server? Not impossible, but unlikely. So it appears they'll have to pay to be on the server of their choice.

Profiting from a mistake (however well intentioned) is just cynical.

Personally I would like server transfers to be gated by time OR money. Prepared to wait? Sure you can have a free transfer to anywhere. Not prepared to wait? Get your wallet out.

I'd still prefer to see a series of whole server mergers to grossly sort things out, followed by a limited period of free any server to any server transfers for those players with specific needs. If you absolutely must bring in paid server transfer - let it be after the mistakes of the past are corrected to player satisfaction.

Edited by Woetoo

I'm on a reasonably populated EU server, so I doubt I'll be making use of the transfer scheme. But I know server population will have a huge effect on players willingness to play long term - and that matters a lot to me. I want the game to succeed and anything that gets in the way is something I'm going to take an interest in.

Reading the quote...

• We can expect Server tranfers towards the end of May, early June. (*cough* provisionally)
  • They opening FREE transfers FROM servers they choose TO servers they choose. On a limited basis.
  • Not on the list? Don't like Bioware's choice of where you can move to? Tough! Get your wallet out!

They made a choice during the pre-launch and launch of how distribute people across servers. At the time, they deliberately lowered server population caps to ensure servers didn't get overwhelmed. Then raised them slowly over time to reduce the artificial queues the lower caps generated. It had the desired effect and people chose other servers and in so doing, spread the community out across a great number of servers. I'm reasonably sure they also had in mind what happens when a lot of people play their initial 30 days and then stopped player. Overall, I think they made some poor decisions that were the best decisions apparent at the time without hindsight. They announced recently that it has become clear now that server populations could double and still be okay.

Whilst people made the choices, Bioware's policies and approach gave them no other choice. So in effect, Bioware generated the problem, however indirectly, and think charging people to sort it out is just great.

But... but... "FREE!!!".

LIMITED free. Whilst there's still no details exactly, we can probably expect single server to single server transfers recommendations, or maybe two or three servers to single server. What we won't get it customer choice. Some friends of mine intended to play on our server, but when the queues in the initial days were so high, they did what lots of people did and picked another server. They currently regret that choice and are rerolling low level characters on our server ahead of a character transfer announcement. The chances that Bioware's choice of transfers are going to include their server to our server? Not impossible, but unlikely. So it appears they'll have to pay to be on the server of their choice.

Personally I would like server transfers to be gated by time OR money. Prepared to wait? Sure you can have a free transfer to anywhere. Not prepared to wait? Get your wallet out.

I'd still prefer to see a series of whole server mergers to grossly sort things out, followed by a limited period of free any server to any server transfers for those players with specific needs. If you absolutely must bring in paid server transfer - let it be after the mistakes of the past are corrected to player satisfaction.

personally i think if you want a server transfer it should be all of your characters.. your entire legacy from one server to another.. why should you get the chance to split it up.. if you wanted characters on multiple servers you could have made characters on multiple servers. it should be a one time straight shot legacy move from one server to another..and ya they should give you a limited list of servers so you can have some choice but so we dont get a horrible mess of people piling only one or two servers in credibly full and all of the others become ghost towns.

Biofail lol transfers coming in summer but u cant transfer to whatever server u like unless your willing to pay??? lol forget Swtor lol another dissapoining MMO i wonder how long until this joins STO and goes FTP and starts the micro transactions.

BioWare, what do u want me to do till it comes out? You want me slack on fleet and keep paying You for no fun? Im sorry, but I see no point .

You just fail, that is what You do, you fail all the time.

Lol character transfers after 6 months of the most expensive mmo made to date.

Roflmao, yup the game is fine, subs are fine we are doing very well.

I told you so to all those hardened BW supporters, keep fighting the good fight!

This thread should serve as a life's lesson to people....that there are those that cannot be satisfied no matter what you do for them. We have exactly what everyone has desired being brought to us in the fastest time ever recorded in MMO history. The biggest problem with this game will then be solved, but you have people that will rage on about it being "too late", "done on the wrong day", "brought the servers down to do it when I was playing", and every other whiny complaint known to man.

"Here, Mr. Jones. You've just won a million dollars, tax free".

Oh, um, thanks, but could you have picked a better case to bring it in? I hate black suite-cases"

Reading the quote...

• We can expect Server tranfers towards the end of May, early June. (*cough* provisionally)
  • They're opening FREE transfers FROM servers they choose TO servers they choose. On a limited basis.

But... but... "FREE!!!".

I rest my case, Your Honor. ROFL.

Thats not what they have said, and thats the reason for my upset, they first makes me play a dead server because their tiny shards at launch (i did read devs asking people to spread on light servers at alaunch and did it), now they want me to pay extra money in order to finally play as i should have been able from day 1.

THATS AN OUTRAGE.

They haven't said either way, so being upset over nothing is a bit ludicrous... You know what happens when you assume, right? Yeah, let's not do that, mkay?

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Hopefully by summer they mean early and not late. I don't mind moving my characters. I don't even mind having to rename my legacy. I just want there to be people to do the content that requires more than just me to do it. (i.e. heroic 2s and 4s, flashpoints, accessing some datacrons).

I think the trickiest thing will be if they have to merge legacies. For instance I have 6 legacy levels on one server and a bunch on another. If I move characters from one to the other due too it being one of the available choices, will they add together?

It would also be nice for Bioware to put out a preliminary list of servers they are planning on moving people from and too. I also think server mergers are still the better plan. After all the only difference between a merger and character transfer is that Bioware does it for you... en masse.

Edited by Emrill

Hopefully by summer they mean early and not late. I don't mind moving my characters. I don't even mind having to rename my legacy. I just want there to be people to do the content that requires more than just me to do it. (i.e. heroic 2s and 4s, flashpoints, accessing some datacrons).

I think the trickiest thing will be if they have to merge legacies. For instance I have 6 legacy levels on one server and a bunch on another. If I move characters from one to the other due too it being one of the available choices, will they add together?

It would also be nice for Bioware to put out a preliminary list of servers they are planning on moving people from and too.

I would assume you would have to have a legacy free server for the move.. it might be to hard to merge two legacies together..those are the things that bioware is likely taking till the summer to figure out..that alot of people dont care about, but needs to be addressed.. good on you for being willing to stick it out and wait