SWTOR Model Viewer?

Kualan

Hi folks.

As someone who likes to dabble in fan machinima and comic-making from time to time, I was wondering if anybody knew of a SWTOR model viewer in development, or if there are plans to introduce an officially-sanctioned tool?

The "game that must not be named" has one, and it's a critical part of the machinima-making community, really expanding what fans are capable of producing. For example, one can use a "greenscreen" technique similar to real filmmaking to take models from the game and allow a greater degree of creative control. For more information on what a model viewer is and what it can do, check out this link:

http://www.wowmodelviewer.org/

Any help with information would be great, thanks.

Edited by Kualan

Managed to find a mention here of someone (one of the original WoW Model Viewer creators, no less) declaring interest in making such a tool shortly before the game's release:

http://www.fivefingerdiscount.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4101

Does anyone know where this user, Darjk, tends to frequent on the 'net? Would love to see if there's any update on his/her progress.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Bumpity Bump for RP goodness.

::Jumps up on a table::

Model viewer. NOW! I am Sith. Obey...or be destroyed.

::Lightsaber Activates::

Oooooh you goofy RPers. I never stop getting a good laugh becasue of you guys.

• 2 weeks later...
I've never subscribed to a forum topic until now. I cannot wait for a model viewer to come out for TOR.

Likewise! Been keeping an eye on this thread like a hawk hoping somebody notices and replies with a miraculous "why yes, here is the model viewer you so desire".

I dont think a model viewer that you want is possible if I remember right most of the graphics in the game are actually streamed to our computers as a form of BS copy protection and the files we do have are encrypted last I checked.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Any update on this ?

Currently nothing yet, and unless someone with machinima skills and coding knowledge picks up on this, I wouldn't expect it any time soon. For WoW it took roughly 3 years before a very primited version of the WoW model viewer was created and released.

I'd say your chances are probably better of asking at the bigger machinima forums to see if someone is actually already developing such a tool or not, and if not, perhaps poke someone's interest to do so.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

For fan graphics or videos, this would be a truly amazing program to have!

However SWTOR does not have an armory, use any add-ons in game, and in essence the game-design itself makes it difficult for this challenge. IF the game designers prevent (or make a TOR model viewer impossible), then perhaps they can utilize the new in game Appearance Designer concept for us to have an 'in game model viewer'?

~Just a thought - however I really want one of these

• 1 month later...