Cosmetic weapon slots

Trenchfeeder

Why is this not a thing yet? You expect players to pay out the *** to have cool looking weapons, but you can't feasibly use them as you level up, because they need mods to have any stats. Then, flashpoints don't even drop items with mods that you can switch out onto the market weapons. The GTN prices for mods are RIDICULOUS if you can even find any at the appropriate level. So if you want to use the weapons you paid real money for, you either have to grind crafting, grind credits or use the absolutely crap mods from vendors. How does this make sense to anyone? Plenty of other games have cosmetic weapon slots. I don't understand why this game does not after all this time.

unless you are doing MM, NiM (either which you won't do levelling up) or PvP, you don't really need anything in the weapon, you'll have enough stats in the other items to keep you covered. I use the empty exp armour shells levelling up, and have never had an issue, and that's 7 pieces.

Although I do support having a outfit for weapons as well as clothing, seperate, so we can mix and match.

Edited by DarkTergon

unless you are doing MM, NiM (either which you won't do levelling up) or PvP, you don't really need anything in the weapon, you'll have enough stats in the other items to keep you covered. I use the empty exp armour shells levelling up, and have never had an issue, and that's 7 pieces.

Although I do support having a outfit for weapons as well as clothing, seperate, so we can mix and match.

I notice it mostly in FPs. Running level 45 FPs with 86 gear score mods in the saber and comparing it to the stuff that's dropping, I'm doing almost nothing to enemies damage wise.

The GTN prices for mods are RIDICULOUS if you can even find any at the appropriate level.

*For* *levelling*, the green ones from the vendors in the Supplies section of the Fleet are more than adequate. No need to pay GTN prices for mod-objects(1).

Pulling high-rating yellow mod-objects from dropped level 75 weapons (Onderonian) can be a bit painful, but it's still cheaper than it would be to buy them from the GTN.

(1) "Mod" is ambiguous, since it's simultaneously the name for a kind of mod-object *and* a general slang term for them all. I try to avoid using it unless I mean actual Mods (the ones that go in the second slot).

Why is this not a thing yet?

1. Basic mods are rather cheap and/or easy to come by. Below level 75 you can use the cheap greens from the fleet vendors. At 75, you get more drops than you can use anyway. It's pretty quick to outfit a weapon with 306 mods.

2. If you just want a weapon for show, there's no need to mod it at all. If you want to actually use it, you may want to spend the credits on an augment slot and augment.

3. If you are single wielding, you can put the weapons you want to switch to, in your inventory, drag them to a skillbar, and then just click on them (in the skillbar) to swap weapons. Dual-wielding is a bit slower - you basically need to drag the weapons, or at least, the offhand, from your inventory.

4. Given the different weapon types that some characters can equip, and given the vast array of sizes of weapons, trying to make the various animations fit with the "base" weapon would cause all sorts of graphics glitches. I doubt that we'll ever get cosmetic weapon slots, at least not with the current 'engine'.

4. Given the different weapon types that some characters can equip, and given the vast array of sizes of weapons, trying to make the various animations fit with the "base" weapon would cause all sorts of graphics glitches. I doubt that we'll ever get cosmetic weapon slots, at least not with the current 'engine'.

This is the only part of your argument that I kind of disagree with. So long as the weapons that a character can use for a cosmetic slot are restricted to what they can equip (lightsabers and vibro-swords for JK/SW, pistols for Smug/BH, etc.) there shouldn't be much of a problem animation wise. The only one I can maybe see having issues is the Trooper since they have a rifle for Van and a cannon for Com.

As stated before though, this is all moot since everything up to 75 can be done with the green parts from the fleet vendors, then getting the parts you need for at least the weapon is fairly easy. Especially with all the endgame gear being Legacy bound.

This is the only part of your argument that I kind of disagree with. So long as the weapons that a character can use for a cosmetic slot are restricted to what they can equip (lightsabers and vibro-swords for JK/SW, pistols for Smug/BH, etc.) there shouldn't be much of a problem animation wise. The only one I can maybe see having issues is the Trooper since they have a rifle for Van and a cannon for Com.

It's a bit more complicated than that.

Consider:

- there are many different forms of Cannon for the trooper. There's the basic single barrel common cannon, there's cannons that look and act like multi-barrel 'Gattling" guns, there's Hugh cannons with multiple ports, etc. What happens when the gattling gun style cannon is overlayed on a standard single barrel cannon?

- Some dualsabers are hip-mounted, some are back mounted. What happens?

- Some lightsabers have various animations. Which animation plays?

- etc.

Some of these could be relatively simple to provide for, but some would be a real bag of snakes.

Consider:

- there are many different forms of Cannon for the trooper. There's the basic single barrel common cannon, there's cannons that look and act like multi-barrel 'Gattling" guns, there's Hugh cannons with multiple ports, etc. What happens when the gattling gun style cannon is overlayed on a standard single barrel cannon?

- etc.

Some of these could be relatively simple to provide for, but some would be a real bag of snakes.

what if they ignored the actual weapon you hold, but instead use the animation for the weapon in the slot. So it wouldn't matter if your cannon was big or small, it would play and show the one in the slot? Not sure if it's viable, just a thought that popped in to my head while reading the thread :)

Consider:

- etc.

So long as the "core" type matches, it just uses the animation appropriate to what you are "visually" using.

The "core" type is:

* The actual type of gun for gun weapons (blaster pistol = blaster pistol, HBG = HBG, PLR = PLR(1), Sniper Rifle = Sniper Rifle)

* Big Hitting Stick for Electrostaff or Dualsaber or Saberstaff or Pike

* Small Hitting Stick for Vibrosword or Lightsaber (Single-blade)

If the visual weapon and really-wielded weapon are of different "core" types (e.g. PLR vs HBG), I think it would have to show the really-wielded weapon.

(1) Puny Little Rifle, as opposed to HBG = Honking Big Gun = Assault Cannon