The Chosen One?

Blistrich

1) Anakin Skywalker is a well-meaning young Jedi with incredible talent, but also dark desires

2) It is purported that Anakin is the Chosen One from Jedi prophesy

3) Anakin shows great emotion and a touch of vanity through his actions

4) It is speculated that the Chosen One prophesy may have been misread

5) Anakin is seduced by the Dark Side

6) Luke Skywalker is born and grows up to battle the Empire

7) Luke discovers that Darth Vader is his father, and he "senses the good in him"

8) Luke is defeated, but he succeeds in bringing his father back from the Dark Side

9) Vader, ultimately realizing that his son is right about him being a good man, kills Sidious

Who is the "Chosen One"? Is it Luke, or is it his father?

I am sure that a definitive answer (or close to one) has been provided, but I would like to know what that answer was and who provided it. If none exists, what are your feelings on the subject?

Edited by Blistrich

George Lucas said Anakin is the chosen one, no questions. Luke was just a vessel for him to complete the prophecy. By killing Sidious, he in turn caused fatal injuries to himself with that action, so he destroyed both Sith, himself, and Sidious, restoring balance.

^Yep this, then there was some other prophecy(EU) that said Luke would destroying the darkness(or it was something about Palpatine returning).

And "restored balance to the Force", right? So, was the prophesy misread... or misunderstood?

he changes the prophcey in Episode 2 i think it becomes he is the one who will Destory the Sith and bring balance to the force.

But yeah its your standard fantasy Prohpcy where they say something everyone doesn't understand it so they try to fight it only to find by fighting it they make it come true.

he changes the prophcey in Episode 2 i think it becomes he is the one who will Destory the Sith and bring balance to the force.

But yeah its your standard fantasy Prohpcy where they say something everyone doesn't understand it so they try to fight it only to find by fighting it they make it come true.

Yeah, I think they just didn't realize that he would be responsible for nearly wiping out the Jedi as well... though he does manage to leave one living in the end.

George Lucas said Anakin is the chosen one, no questions. Luke was just a vessel for him to complete the prophecy. By killing Sidious, he in turn caused fatal injuries to himself with that action, so he destroyed both Sith, himself, and Sidious, restoring balance.

You know what i've never understood and the mortis episodes kinda show this too is wouldn't true balance be and even number of sith and jedi? I mean one jedi makes the light side in control which is not balance. So how does the lightside being more abundent bring balance to the force? I brought up the mortis episode because you had the son=darkside the daughter=lightside and then the father who was gray=neutral thats real balance? Anyone have insite on this?

You know what i've never understood and the mortis episodes kinda show this too is wouldn't true balance be and even number of sith and jedi? I mean one jedi makes the light side in control which is not balance. So how does the lightside being more abundent bring balance to the force? I brought up the mortis episode because you had the son=darkside the daughter=lightside and then the father who was gray=neutral thats real balance? Anyone have insite on this?

That's just a light side spin on words. To them it's still "balanced."

The only way any of this can become (hopefully) clear is if we had had the Prophecy...

Unfortunately GL has not released the Prophecy (he probably hasn't even wrote it up yet, Argh!)

So all we can do is speculate and theorize...

balance was to destroy both factions and start anew with one who understood both sides. This is just personal interpretation, but the way I read the movies is this:

Anakin Skywalker was to bring balance to the force, which meant the cleansing of the overabundance of force-users who held the power to destroy stars. This meant the destruction of both the Jedi order and the two Sith lords, he and Darth Sidius. However, since the force is of life and living, simply cleansing and killing was neither the logical nor sensible way for this prophecy to play out... in the end, there is one force user left, Anakin Skywalker, who experienced the good of the force without the unnecessary dogma of the jedi or the corruption of the sith.

In the end, Vader brought balance to the Force not just by instigating the elimination of every force user, but by bringing a child into the world who would experience fear, hatred and anger as well as serenity, compassion and harmony. Luke is the epitome of balance, he is the pin on which the scale rests, and it is in his hands that he would rebuild, hopefully without straying far from balance.

Of course, that's just my interpretation and I'm sure one could make a hundred arguments against me using "But force users X Y and Z existed after the purge..." which is fine, but that is honestly an alternate universe of poor license abuse and bad fanfiction, not what I take from the saga.

In the end, Vader brought balance to the Force not just by instigating the elimination of every force user, but by bringing a child into the world who would experience fear, hatred and anger as well as serenity, compassion and harmony. Luke is the epitome of balance, he is the pin on which the scale rests, and it is in his hands that he would rebuild, hopefully without straying far from balance.

This is quite brilliant. Luke is kinda like Blade... neither human nor vampire, but rather, "something else". Come to think of it, Luke isn't even really a Jedi. He's a "Master of the Force", so-to-speak, who has indeed experienced it all and came out the other side as some kind of well-intentioned hybrid.