Hood On/Off Toggle?

Morniel

It really is kind of ridiculous.. we've seen it in marketing, there are a few robes in-game that actually have the hood down and lying on the back, and its a simple simple simple thing to do. It really is frustrating. The biggest reason the hood even bothers me is because it makes my character bald. It looks like every jedi shaved his head..

I actually prefer using sub-par robes that have the hood down by default than to upgrade to the best possible thing for me. Cosmetics rarely matter to me, but it seems it matters to a lot of players. Yes, laugh if you want, and yes BioWare, i'm level 40 and Id rather wear this

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k106/knightdude1192/Public/?action=view&current=Screenshot_2012-06-07_23_30_47_002737.jpg

instead of this

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k106/knightdude1192/Public/?action=view&current=Screenshot_2012-06-17_09_42_40_629216.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright here is absolute proof that this feature obviously exists and is not "hard to implement" as some BioWare reps have claimed.

Here we have two different robes.

The one I own has its hood down. (Baktoid)

This one I found on the GTN has its hood up. (QorWorks)

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k106/knightdude1192/Public/?action=view&current=Screenshot_2012-06-17_15_13_59_436219.jpg

They are the exact same model of robe (different stats and names mind you)

Edited by SykesNinetyTwo

Alright here is absolute proof that this feature obviously exists and is not "hard to implement" as some BioWare reps have claimed.

Here we have two different robes.

The one I own has its hood down. (Baktoid)

This one I found on the GTN has its hood up. (QorWorks)

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k106/knightdude1192/Public/?action=view&current=Screenshot_2012-06-17_15_13_59_436219.jpg

They are the exact same model of robe (different stats and names mind you)

it more or less gives me the impresion that swtor devs go like "meh i'll see when i want to do some work and implement stuff, lets just give em a ******** answer and pretend its all so hard".

if there are 2 versions available, all they have to do is add a button with some script to change the cosmetic view from hood up to hood down.

Yesterday I picked up a random green-quality drop of a heavy guardian chestpiece, and low-and-behold, it's the same styling as the Jedi Battlelord, only with darker colored robes, and dark brown/silver plate/shoulder armor. It happens to look pretty cool (has the hood up).

The point is, where the frak is this in orange-quality?

They designed a system to let us choose our appearance, yet they've already made the choices for what armor we are "allowed" to wear.

1. We are not allowed to have a hood down

2. We are not allowed to wear anything an NPC has (even though a bunch of that stuff is pretty cool...i mean, i'm the one saving the galaxy and all, and I can't look as cool as the nameless idiot guarding my ship container on the fleet?)

3. #1 applies to #2

4. We are not allowed to keep set bonus from Tier PvP and PvE armor if we don't want that look (really? a space samurai? A cool idea but you know, art department, there's a way to make a jedi resemble a samurai without making it actually look like a samurai.....)

5.We are not allowed to have an appearance like ANY of the promo material, even after watching gameplay footage of it.

6. We are not allowed to have any information from Bioware or the art department on why any of these choices were made. And there hasn't been a statement about any of this in months..

I've tried that a few times, but it doesn't look like it always works - maybe it depends on the headgear and/or chest armour? Could someone shed some light on this?

Yesterday I picked up a random green-quality drop of a heavy guardian chestpiece, and low-and-behold, it's the same styling as the Jedi Battlelord, only with darker colored robes, and dark brown/silver plate/shoulder armor. It happens to look pretty cool (has the hood up).

They designed a system to let us choose our appearance, yet they've already made the choices for what armor we are "allowed" to wear.

1. We are not allowed to have a hood down

2. We are not allowed to wear anything an NPC has (even though a bunch of that stuff is pretty cool...i mean, i'm the one saving the galaxy and all, and I can't look as cool as the nameless idiot guarding my ship container on the fleet?)

3. #1 applies to #2

4. We are not allowed to keep set bonus from Tier PvP and PvE armor if we don't want that look (really? a space samurai? A cool idea but you know, art department, there's a way to make a jedi resemble a samurai without making it actually look like a samurai.....)

5.We are not allowed to have an appearance like ANY of the promo material, even after watching gameplay footage of it.

6. We are not allowed to have any information from Bioware or the art department on why any of these choices were made. And there hasn't been a statement about any of this in months..

Hearsay is it's because of Gabe, and his desire that all classes be instantly recognizable on a battlefield, as in Warhammer. Hence, a distinctive, hooded look on most gear.

Hearsay is it's because of Gabe, and his desire that all classes be instantly recognizable on a battlefield, as in Warhammer. Hence, a distinctive, hooded look on most gear.

I doubt it's that as a Guardian can wear Trooper armor in PvP and 1.3 has adaptive armor coming.

My guess would be is that they just have figured out how to add a hood toggle yet. I would be happy enough with two seperate craftable armour models.

Guardian's Exalted set sold by the Legacy Vendor on Coruscant.

Yeh so actually just picked up Hoth headpiece last night it hid the hood, but turning from jedi to cyberpunk wasn't really what was looking for lol Not mentioned the cloak wearing currently looked semi dress like without the hood from the back.... Guess stay with the hood till hopefully they will do something about this.

Would feel better if they actually showed some inidcation that they really are looking into this. Hoping their not expecting social armour to be the 'fix' that's not a fix that's an alternative... step up I guess but still not the same and don't have the same jedi feel lol nore do i want to put away an actual decent looking robe to play dress up in something non-jediish. leave that to my smuggler/non-jedi or my less serious jedi characters lol

Is there at least some indication that it may appear in 1.3 ?

Well there is nothing easier but to wait :-) but it would be a nice suprise

As 1.3 is on the PTS without it, there is actually every indication that it will not appear in 1.3. I believe it is now time to demand at every opportunity why the Devs cannot at the very least give us the hood down armors as separate pieces if they cannot engineer a hood toggle yet. Is anyone going to Comi-Con who can ask this? I have asked in every Q and A thread since their original promise of having it "in the next major update" proved false, and so far nothing.

I am so disappointed there is no hood toggle yet, I really thought it would be in by patch 1.3. :( I kinda like my JC's hood, but I'd like to be able to toggle it off for story quests so half of my screenshots aren't of a brown blob.

Not to mention that my Miraluka Inquisitor has awful clipping issues with the hood on my absolute favorite style of chest piece . . . yet Miraluka can't display most headgear due to clipping issues, so the "equip a headband" trick won't work. And I recently saw an NPC wearing the exact same style, but with the hood down. So mean, Bioware! ;_;

The only reason I can think of for this feature taking so long is if they are doing an actual hood up/hood down appearance for every hooded chest piece in the game. If a hood toggle is added and it is just the hood magically vanishing like it does for Twi'leks, I will really be scratching my head over that.

Not going to Comin-Con, but I am going to continue to clog up the Q&A thread with the question of a hood toggle until they give us a firm answer! :p

1.3 Dropped and with all this gear we can now wear with adaptive coming out I'm even madder than ever at this. I have a level 35 medium armor chest piece on my guardian I wear at fleet so I feel like a Jedi. Albeit one in stupid colors, but at least the hood is down. Too bad it's not modable. Heck, I don't even care if Bioware is giving us cinematics of us moving our hoods up and down, I just want 1 hood down chest I can mod out until "soon" comes. It was suppose to be in the next update after 1.2, and then it got pushed back.

6 months in this game and the same issue. Never been so absolutely angry with some MMO issue in my life.

I asked on Twitter and as usual was ignored and recieved no answer. Any faith I have in Bioware is dwindling quite fast as they leave glaring art issues unfixed and don't even acknowldge the problem.

I asked on Twitter and as usual was ignored and recieved no answer. Any faith I have in Bioware is dwindling quite fast as they leave glaring art issues unfixed and don't even acknowldge the problem.

To me BW has been operating in damage control mode and anything not essential has been put on hold. With server transfers looking to be successful and if 1.3 proves to help staunch the loss of subscriptions I'm fairly confident they will start fixing the cosmetics that we find so annoying.

To me BW has been operating in damage control mode and anything not essential has been put on hold. With server transfers looking to be successful and if 1.3 proves to help staunch the loss of subscriptions I'm fairly confident they will start fixing the cosmetics that we find so annoying.

Unfortunately they "started" back in February. There was a post in the dev Q+A that mentioned it was a "considerable task for the art department" and that a hood toggle wouldn't be ready for 1.2, but the patch after. Since then, they haven't said a word, and here we are at the "patch after".

Personally, I feel like we all pay $15/month, and there's been such an outcry for just a SINGLE piece of hood-down heavy jedi-knight armor, that they could have just mocked ONE up and put it in the game already. Why do they need to wait for once every 3 months to add stuff if we're paying each month. Why not just throw something in with the weekly maintenance? Just a single piece...anything....please let me see my character's face......

Bioware, we KNOW you can read all this. I even made mention of it on my "Let's show bioware what we really want" thread. The general consensus is that we are in fact, NOT satisfied with the "hood toggle" that you've given us thus far. We appreciate that you guys are kinda sorta listening and actually put it in there but , once again, when we toggle it...our hoods are....just GONE. There are countless npc's with their hoods down, with the hood draped down their back, you guys post picture after promo picture of jedi with their hoods down, with the hood draped down their back. The Jedi in the damn character creation screen have their hoods down with it draped down their backs. This tells us that the actual 3d models of the gear are in game already. I'm sure y'all put in a lot of work for all this legacy gear and social gear this and that for the 1.3 patch, why is it that somewhere in there, y'all couldn't have been like, "we need to get these hoods draped down some backs here...."

It really sounds ridiculous like, why would we be making such a big stupid deal about something so small? Maybe it's not so small, the devil is in the details remember. Most of us want that iconic jedi look, for example yet again:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=jedi+hood&um=1&hl=en&biw=1536&bih=762&tbm=isch&tbnid=oAd5GTCdObrROM:&imgrefurl=http://www.degraeve.com/jedirobe/&docid=SqxgcXj3WGELSM&imgurl=http://www.degraeve.com/jedirobe/nicetunic.jpg&w=430&h=331&ei=DzrrT_zFCoKy8ATWhMnWBQ&zoom=1

Oh and how about THIS for an example, straight up official bioware art:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=jedi+battlelord+armor&um=1&hl=en&biw=1536&bih=762&tbm=isch&tbnid=Uc1fcAUizLDGLM:&imgrefurl=http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php%3Fp%3D4586102&docid=YIouMcOfd3X7UM&imgurl=http://media-titanium.cursecdn.com/attachments/41/540/deinthk51.jpg&w=1600&h=900&ei=NDvrT839Aob28wSM0IzyBQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=525&vpy=269&dur=780&hovh=168&hovw=300&tx=129&ty=85&sig=107620688512118122285&page=2&tbnh=102&tbnw=182&start=32&ndsp=38&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:32,i:180

Look at that hood down!

So you guys still wanna tell us this can't be done? :confused:

Perhaps that picture with Jedi and HK droid is implying that we'll get the hood toggle in the major expansion with HK itself? Considering that the recent 1.3 didn't contain any new content but rather improvements for the game, I can't really call it "major".

i doubt it, they seem to just use the hood down for marketting, kinda ridiculous really since it seems like it would very easy to implement