PTS 6.1.4 Legacy Ignore

UlaVii

Hi all, I tested the new "Legacy Ignore" feature on PTS. Here are the results. If you want any more tests then let me know.

Images showing legacy ignore

In the Legacy Ignore list you a single entry that is their legacy name.

You only see one entry for each account. You do not see a list of all their character names.

If two people have the same legacy you get two rows with same name. That actually makes it impossible to know which one to un-ignore later on if you change your mind. The work around for that is to get in close proximity of them and then you can right click their character nameplate and choose "Stop Ignoring" from the right click menu.

The "Ignore List" right click menu just has the option to "Stop Ignoring" them.

You can add them to ignore list with any character name of theirs even if they are logged in with a different character. For example, if a player has two characters called "Alice" and "Bob" and they are logged in with "Alice", then you can do "/ignore Bob" and it will still add them to your ignore list.

You can "/ignore CharacterName" to add people even when they are offline. You get yellow text in chat: "You are now ignoring [Legacyname]."

The Legacy Ignore list is shared across all your characters, including those on the other faction so if you /ignore somebody with one of your characters you will see them in the ignore list on your others.

If you add a character to your ignore list that was on your friends list then their friends list entry is removed and you get two yellow text messages telling you that in chat:

"You are no longer friends with [Playername]."

"You are now ignoring [Legacyname]."

If you try to add them to your friends list then they are added there and removed from your ignore list. You get two yellow chat messages:

"You are now friends with [Playername]."

"You are no longer ignoring [Legacyname]."

If you try to ignore the same person twice (even if they are on another character) then you get a yellow text message in chat "You are already ignoring [Legacyname]."

If you try to send them a /w then you get a red text message in chat saying "You are ignoring [Playername]".

You can see emotes that the ignored person does in close proximity to you however if they try to directly target you while doing one then you will not see it.

You can't see custom emotes of the ignored person even if they have not targeted you.

You can open a trade window with an ignored person and trade with them but they can't open a trade window with you.

If you try to send them a /w on another of their characters then you get a red text message in chat saying "You are ignoring [Playername]" (the name you tried to /w regardless of if that's the same one you added to the ignore list)

If they use a Legacy Rename Token then the ignore list entry will update to show the new name the next time you relog.

If you ignore somebody without a legacy you get yellow text that says "You are now ignoring Unnamed Legacy."

It shows up in the legacy panel as "Unnamed Legacy".

If you try to send them a guild invite it works.

You can send the ignored person an email and they can receive and read it. You can attach items to those mails.

The ignored person can send you an email and when it arrives you will get yellow text in chat saying "You have new mail" but no mail will show up in your inbox.

If the ignored person attaches an item to the mail it acts the same way as described above and the mail+item get auto-returned to them within a few hours.

You can see listings on the GTN from ignored people and buy them. The GTN mails to each of you come through successfully.

If you try to send them a stronghold invite then you get a red text message in chat saying "Your invite was declined."

If you try to send them a stronghold key then you get a red text message in chat saying "[Playername] is blacklisted and can not be given a key."

If you have a key for another player's stronghold and you put them on ignore then their stronghold is not removed from your keyring and you can still travel there.

If for some weird reason you send a key invite to somebody and then /ignore them before they accept then they still have the option to accept it. The stronghold will show up in their keyring but when they try to Travel there they get a yellow text in chat "You are not permitted to enter this Stronghold.". The same message is also displayed in large red text across the middle of the screen.

Being on legacy ignore means:

If they try to send you a /w they get a red text message in chat saying "[Playername] is ignoring you."

The ignored person can see what you write in any of the chat channels but you can't see anything they write. Tested /w, /say, /yell, /1, /group, /ops, /oa, /g, /o, /pvp and /trade.

If they try to send you a guild invite then they get a green text message in chat saying "[Playername] declined your guild invite."

If they try to send you a stronghold invite then they get a red text message in chat saying "Your invite was declined."

If they try to send you a stronghold key then they get a yellow text message in chat saying "[Playername] declined your stronghold key offer."

If they had a stronghold key to one of yours prior to being on ignore then they get yellow text in chat "Your Key to [Playername's] Stronghold has been revoked."

You, as the person who ignored them, do not get any messages from the above actions. The system handles it for you automatically.

Edited by UlaVii

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the detailed test information! Looks better than I expected, honestly.

One question, if there's a way to find out: Is this ignore Legacy by-toon or by-Legacy? (i.e. if you ignore a Legacy from your character A, is that legacy populated onto your character B's ignore list automatically or do you have to ignore them there as well?)

EDIT: This part's a little weird, though. Not sure I like that.

If you have a key for another player's stronghold and you put them on ignore then their stronghold is not removed from your keyring and you can still travel there.
Edited by Crystal_Mind
Additional information, clearly marked

Interesting. Thanks for your testing. It would seem legacy names will no longer be private information that players can keep hidden. If one suspects two different characters of being the same person, a quick test with this feature will reveal if they are or not.

I imagine this might decrease the number of players who run their mouths in chat channels and behave badly(RIP DK chat + fleet general chat?). Doing so would put one at risk of having their mains ignored, possibly from players they already know, and would make it harder to do group content.

Once this goes live, I wonder if legacy ignore will apply retroactively to the legacies of characters that are already on someone's ignore list now. Could make for some awkward moments between friends and guildmates.

Edited by Drenovade

One question, if there's a way to find out: Is this ignore Legacy by-toon or by-Legacy? (i.e. if you ignore a Legacy from your character A, is that legacy populated onto your character B's ignore list automatically or do you have to ignore them there as well?)

All ignore lists you have on each of your characters will become a legacy-wide ignore list. (they will be combined)

Source: https://swtorista.com/articles/swtor-developer-livestream-notes-september-24-2020/#Toxicity

Edited by Drenovade

Once this goes live, I wonder if legacy ignore will apply retroactively to the legacies of characters that are already on someone's ignore list now.

In the stream they said it would.

Could make for some awkward moments between friends and guildmates.

In the stream they also said that if somebody is currently on both your ignore list and friends list then the ignore list entry would be auto-deleted when the initial merge happens as they had to choose between the two and decided giving friendship a chance was the way to go. After the initial merge is done then it behaves like I described in the main post.

Good question. I just went to test it. If I add people to the ignore list with one of my characters and I relog to another then I see the same people in my ignore list there. So the Legacy Ignore list is shared across all your characters, including those on the other faction. I've added this to the main post.

Edited by UlaVii

I'm happy about it being legacy-wide on both relevant legacies, that's a slightly better than what I was counting on.

I'd have liked a comment option, being able to note why I added someone to my ignore list, if only to be able to clear out the credit spammers faster when I need space--which reminds me, I imagine it might be a bit hard to test whether there are more ignore slots now, but I'm really hoping for an increase over the current 128 also.

I'm happy about it being legacy-wide on both relevant legacies, that's a slightly better than what I was counting on.

I'd have liked a comment option, being able to note why I added someone to my ignore list, if only to be able to clear out the credit spammers faster when I need space--which reminds me, I imagine it might be a bit hard to test whether there are more ignore slots now, but I'm really hoping for an increase over the current 128 also.

I'm hoping that because you ignore a legacy you are ignoring more than one troll at a time. I can imagine, some do it on multiple alts. But an increase would be welcome, just in case :)

Edited by DarkTergon

Any one tried to see what happens when you ignore someone who hasn't earned their Legacy yet? Or even the ones who just never put in a Legacy?

Don't the spammers just keep making free accounts when one is banned?

Any one tried to see what happens when you ignore someone who hasn't earned their Legacy yet? Or even the ones who just never put in a Legacy?

Interesting question, not sure, but as legacy names aren't unique, when they go on the ignore list, it's used by player number, or something similar, even if you don't have a legacy, you'll have a number. What will it show on the list though, that would be interesting.

Yes, but I imagine it's faster to ban them then make them. And if you get the account that has all the credits, even better.

Spammers, yes, but only because they only need to make it to genchat. Pure F2P accounts can't really communicate with you iirc, without you initiating via group or guild invite so if someone is trying to harrass you from multiple accounts, it'll be on their dime, and time and fill up a handful of slots at the most extreme. At least, I would hope so.

Edited by DarthCasus

I meant from my list. Either I regularly go through my list trying to distinguish the many gibberish credit spammer names from the many troll/jerk names on there (because I don't want to remove the latter) or my ignore lists will reach the limit because of all the credit spammers.

What I would like is the ability to add a comment, to add a note to every ignored person to remind me why I ignored them. Aside from being able to decide that someone with a minor offense may deserve a second chance, it helps me quickly see which ignored characters are actual characters, and which are just spam bots, which don't need to stay on the list, because they'll have been replaced.

Now if I go to fleet and see three credit spam messages, I ignore two of them and get an error on the third that my ignore list is full, I'm having to sort through that list to delete some credit spam names while not deleting the ones I just added a minute ago.

Comments would save me a lot of frustration.

Got back into PTS tonight so ran some more tests. I've updated the main post to have it all in one place but here are the additions so you don't have to read the whole thing again!

If two people have the same legacy you get two rows with same name. That actually makes it impossible to know which one to un-ignore later on if you change your mind. The work around for that is to get in close proximity of them and then you can right click their character nameplate and choose "Stop Ignoring" from the right click menu.

You can "/ignore CharacterName" to add people even when they are offline. You get yellow text in chat: "You are now ignoring [Legacyname]."

You can see emotes that the ignored person does in close proximity to you however if they try to directly target you while doing one then you will not see it.

You can't see custom emotes of the ignored person even if they have not targeted you.

You can open a trade window with an ignored person and trade with them but they can't open a trade window with you.

If they use a Legacy Rename Token then the ignore list entry will update to show the new name the next time you relog.

If you ignore somebody without a legacy you get yellow text that says "You are now ignoring Unnamed Legacy.". It shows up in the legacy panel as "Unnamed Legacy".

You can send the ignored person an email and they can receive and read it. They can send you an email and when it arrives you will get yellow text in chat saying "You have new mail" but no mail will show up in your inbox.

If the ignored person attaches an item to the mail it acts the same way as described above. My guess is that the mail will bounce back to them in a few days so they get their item back like when a COD mail times out. This test is still in progress...

The ignored person can see what you write in any of the chat channels but you can't see anything they write. Tested /w, /say, /yell, /1, /group, /ops, /oa, /g, /o, /pvp and /trade.

This is pretty monumental. If a player ends up on too many ignore lists, they may very well need to re-roll on another server or start a new account to do a lot of group content. Even those well settled into an active guild already, if they constantly end up on the ignore list of other guild members. Would also need to consider that the guild may disband one day, and if half the server ignores you, might be hard to find another one.

Overall, this feature sounds like a boon for the community. Will hopefully see a lot less poorly behaved, ill-mannered folk in-game now.

Thanks again for all your testing, UlaVii. I'd like to throw out a request for another test if you get the chance: If you ignore someone, can you still see their items on the GTN?

Edited by Drenovade

Interesting. Thanks for your testing. It would seem legacy names will no longer be private information that players can keep hidden. If one suspects two different characters of being the same person, a quick test with this feature will reveal if they are or not.

I imagine this might decrease the number of players who run their mouths in chat channels and behave badly(RIP DK chat + fleet general chat?). Doing so would put one at risk of having their mains ignored, possibly from players they already know, and would make it harder to do group content.

Once this goes live, I wonder if legacy ignore will apply retroactively to the legacies of characters that are already on someone's ignore list now. Could make for some awkward moments between friends and guildmates.

It will be abused by some pvp trolls to find out players alts. I can see this causing more toxicity, not less.

It will be abused by some pvp trolls to find out players alts. I can see this causing more toxicity, not less.

How would that work? You'd have to have a hint that two particular characters belong to the same player, otherwise you'd be testing random characters for ages until the same legacy name comes up. Even then, depending on how common the legacy name is, it might not be the same player. What's the significance of someone knowing someone's alts in PvP anyway?

Thanks again for all your testing, UlaVii. I'd like to throw out a request for another test if you get the chance: If you ignore someone, can you still see their items on the GTN?

I could see their listing and buy it. We both received the GTN mails as normal.

Re-ran another three tests as I forgot to write down the details last night:

If the ignored person sends you an email it does not come through. You do get the yellow chat text saying You have new mail" but no mail will show up in your inbox.

If the ignored person sends you an email with an item attached you get the same yellow chat text, no mails appears in your inbox and it gets auto-returned to them shortly afterwards.

You can send mails to the ignored person and they received them. These can also include items.

Edited by UlaVii

How would that work? You'd have to have a hint that two particular characters belong to the same player, otherwise you'd be testing random characters for ages until the same legacy name comes up. Even then, depending on how common the legacy name is, it might not be the same player. What's the significance of someone knowing someone's alts in PvP anyway?

I suppose that once they know your alts, their fellow guildies will be happy to pester you by sending messages and by using the squelch function against you by mass reporting you.

But, the process of getting to know which alts are yours, as you described, would be very difficult and time-consuming. I know that toxic people can be very persistent once they have a hold of their prey but I'm not expecting them to be this patient in chasing down people's alts.

Time will tell though. Humans can be very disappointing and this might not be the last adjustment they have to make in order to address toxic behaviour. It's sad really but some people just can't seem to use their heads in a slightly more meaningful way.

• 2 weeks later...
A quick question:

If you want to ignore a specific person but there are two separate people with the legacy name does it just auto add both or the one you want?

People have the same legacy and this might create a problem.

I'm assuming the legacy name will look the same to us, but to the engine/programme, it'll have an extra something attached that will identify them separately.