Swg

lisaaa

Let see how many people respond to it"if soe bring back swg to the first day of the game would u play it"

i know it will never happen cause soe sux but hell ya i would...To bad bio-ware didnt take some of swg good idea and use them..

u know what be cool if bio-ware got swg game and did it in a pack game like soe did with there games,we got alot of dead sever they could use for it..U can play the old starwars game and the new one for 1 price.. Edited by lisaaa

As one of the most rabitly fanatical SWG lovers out there, who is following some of the SWG revival projects going with great interest, I can honestly say that if SOE decided to re-release SWG in it's day 1 form, I would not be interested. I want crafting, I want vehicles, I want space battles (as in, Jump To Lightspeed, not the on-rails mini-game we have in SWTOR), I want player housing.

I also want a Jedi class that you have to unlock after a long process, which then takes long months of work to build up, but which is the alpha-class in the game when you get there.

I want my crafting experience to be complex and challenge my mental intellect, rather than the simple system we have here.

In short, there are many things that I want in a Star Wars game. SWG on day 1 did not have most of them, and SWTOR does not have most of them either. SWG eventually got to where I enjoyed it, before the NGE hit it and changed the whole experience overnight.

Let see how many people respond to it"if soe bring back swg to the first day of the game would u play it"

i know it will never happen cause soe sux but hell ya i would...To bad bio-ware didnt take some of swg good idea and use them..

Nope. I played it then. Got out of it all I was going to. The SOE devs gave you a huge sandbox, 1 shovel, 1 small bucket and 1 cheesy circa 1973 Tonka truck essentially to play with. I don't care how much sand there was, with just those small few toys to use, all but a select few are going to get bored.

SWG was to the extreme of sandbox what many accuse TOR and others of being with regards to rails and theme parks.

What I enjoyed most out of SWG was the people in my guild I played with.

After that. the crafting was in depth but carpel tunnel inducing to make anything in quantity to skill up. It was one of the few good things though that other dev studios should look at and add three or four coats of polish to.

The worlds were largely lifeless and dead where you came across tons more player harvesters than you did mobs or other players. Housing was done pretty well but, it was used either for storage or to "play house". I guess if that's what you want out of a MMO maybe that's great. If I want that done well AND more importantly, looking for that kind of play experience, I'd be playing the SIMS, not a mmorpg. Player cities was a neat concept that utterly fell waaaay short of its potential. Repetitive missions out of terminals making dailies in games like TOR & WoW look like fantastic content. A combat system that was clunk as hell. One character per server per account?? Who dreams up that kind of craptastic idea? Minimal content added by developers with any sort of regularity.

And of course, the leveling or what the fanbois cheer as a lack of leveling was still in fact, leveling. WoW, TOR, et al ... do some quests, kill some things, gain a level that allows you to allocate points into desired skill areas. SWG ... use your blaster to kill things and eventually earn a rank (aka level) that allows to you kill things more effectively with your blaster. Same mechanic, different interface. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy leveling characters in RPGs but, I just don't want people to be singing the praises of SWG's character development as being "non-leveling" like so many are wont to do.

Were it released exactly as it was day 1? No. The game in that time period was awful.

Instead, if they reengineered the game from the ground up using modern graphics/sound, Pre-CU character development (32 professions), Post-Cu combat style, All the content the game ended with in December, locked Jedi that require several hoops to jump through, Further refinements to the JTL portion of the game, and move the game's timeline to post ROTJ to get more latitude for development, then I would be all over it like a fat chick on a doughnut.

Most importantly, I'd prefer it to not be developed by SOE.

Edited by Ellvaan
SWG Emulator Discussion (pm'd)

SWG is far from "dead".

In fact, if SOE brought back SWG servers, I would give them the big middle digit. I already play SWG, better than SOE's versions were, and I don't have to worry about it getting the wow-treatment.

Edited by Ellvaan
SWG Emulator Discussion (pm'd)

I loved SWG and i really feel SWG is 10 times better than this game but even if SOE did bring back the game i couldnt go back to it coz i put 7 years into that game and i couldnt do it all over again.

Nah. I liked all the game offered near its end. Including the TCCG. I liked the legacy quest chain. I liked the beastmaster crafting. I liked the armor textures mods you got from the TCCG. I loved JTL, and all my ships. I loved hourly GCW battles. I would HATE permadeath on my jedi.

No, I wouldn't play that version.

Doesn't it piss you guys off to know that somewhere in some database, on some hard drive, or on some server in some basement, is your character. Your time, your money, your memories incarnate. And whoever you blame, be it LA, or SOE or George Lucas himself, doesn't even care? :tran_grin:

Doesn't it piss you guys off to know that somewhere in some database, on some hard drive, or on some server in some basement, is your character. Your time, your money, your memories incarnate. And whoever you blame, be it LA, or SOE or George Lucas himself, doesn't even care? :tran_grin:

It didnt until i read this :p

It does kind of but then again at least your character was important. With SWTOR your character really doesnt hold the same since once he hits 50 hes put on the shelf for alts.

Nope. I played it then. Got out of it all I was going to. The SOE devs gave you a huge sandbox, 1 shovel, 1 small bucket and 1 cheesy circa 1973 Tonka truck essentially to play with. I don't care how much sand there was, with just those small few toys to use, all but a select few are going to get bored.

At least you could make whatever you wanted. Whats worse, being able to make your own castle or having a premade castle that looks the same as everyone elses that you cant even use?

SWG was to the extreme of sandbox what many accuse TOR and others of being with regards to rails and theme parks.

The sandbox wasnt the problem with the game. Its was SOE's litter box. If they would have cleaned out all the poop instead of letting it sit in there for 2 years it would have been ok.

What I enjoyed most out of SWG was the people in my guild I played with.

Thats the most important part of an MMO. The players. Too bad these new MMO's dont realize it and just think about money.

After that. the crafting was in depth but carpel tunnel inducing to make anything in quantity to skill up. It was one of the few good things though that other dev studios should look at and add three or four coats of polish to.

The worlds were largely lifeless and dead where you came across tons more player harvesters than you did mobs or other players. Housing was done pretty well but, it was used either for storage or to "play house". I guess if that's what you want out of a MMO maybe that's great. If I want that done well AND more importantly, looking for that kind of play experience, I'd be playing the SIMS, not a mmorpg. Player cities was a neat concept that utterly fell waaaay short of its potential. Repetitive missions out of terminals making dailies in games like TOR & WoW look like fantastic content. A combat system that was clunk as hell. One character per server per account?? Who dreams up that kind of craptastic idea? Minimal content added by developers with any sort of regularity.

One character per account was actually the best part. It made your character have meaning. Your character was you in the game and not one of 8 of you.

And of course, the leveling or what the fanbois cheer as a lack of leveling was still in fact, leveling. WoW, TOR, et al ... do some quests, kill some things, gain a level that allows you to allocate points into desired skill areas. SWG ... use your blaster to kill things and eventually earn a rank (aka level) that allows to you kill things more effectively with your blaster. Same mechanic, different interface. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy leveling characters in RPGs but, I just don't want people to be singing the praises of SWG's character development as being "non-leveling" like so many are wont to do.

The so called leveling was also a great part of the game. You could be anything you wanted and could switch any time you wanted but it wasnt a click of the button and you changed from a CH to a TKM or scout, you had to relevel up what you wanted to be. (but you were not worthless while doing so, you could still play the game with anyone while you were doing it.

I have said it before, being able to go hunt rancors with my friends the first hour playing the game made it a MMO, you didnt have to spend all the time leveling and away from your friends in the game untill you hit level 50,60,85 or whatever it is.

It does kind of but then again at least your character was important. With SWTOR your character really doesnt hold the same since once he hits 50 hes put on the shelf for alts.

But... I don't get it?

Why put a char on a shelf. There is a gazillion things to do. Lots of Operations, tons of hard modes, tons of PvP, a gazillion dailys. I don't get it?!?

I want to get to 50 with more chars so, yes, I play alts too, but why shelf a char at 50? It's then the fun begins!

If SWG was rolled back to day one and SOE was running it I would run away as fast as I could, if any other company in the entire world was running it I would run back to it. Edited by kitsinni

i love how all the SWG fans forget how buggy that game was an i'm sorry to say day one release was the worst of the lot for game breakers. don't get me wrong it was a good game in its day and maybe bioware can learn some stuff from all the old sandbox mmo's to bring elements of sandbox gaming to TOR

but no i would not play day 1 release of SWG

Edited by Genuine

But... I don't get it?

Why put a char on a shelf. There is a gazillion things to do. Lots of Operations, tons of hard modes, tons of PvP, a gazillion dailys. I don't get it?!?

I want to get to 50 with more chars so, yes, I play alts too, but why shelf a char at 50? It's then the fun begins!

Why do hardmodes when you can do operations? Also how long do you think it takes to gear up? Whats the point in doing anything if you have done it and have gotten everything you and your friends need out of it?

Gazillion dailys = pointless part of the game that is there just to keep you in the game.

PVP = Maybe if they made it so there was a down side to losing then maybe it would be better but instead they reward you for losing just a little slower than if you win. Also doing the same 4? warzones over and over and over and over a gazillion times isnt fun.

hardmodes = pointless since you can do operations with the same gear you have when you are starting hardmodes. They should be a stepping stone to get to the OPS but you can just jump over it and avoid them completely.

OPS= way to easy.

EDIT: IMO the reason you rolled alts already is because your main character lost its importance. The all mighty story didnt even get you to 50 that you bailed on it already.

Edited by Emeda

But... I don't get it?

Tons of PvP ? The four warzones? A gazillion dailies? Well you clearly haven´t hit 50 yet...

For me the fun ended at 50.

But... I don't get it?

Not everyone enjoys repeating the same instances/dailies/ops day in, day out. For those people, the only thing they can do in TOR is create a new character and play through their story.

Personally, I played WoW's endgame for WotLK. It was fun for a while, but then I realised that all we were doing was repeating the same content over and over again, and even between different bosses, the mechanics weren't different enough to make things interesting, with the sole exception of the Gunship battle in ICC. Then Cataclysm came out, and I levelled to 85 and got started with Cataclysm's endgame. Then I left WoW because I discovered it was exactly the same as WotLKs, and had no interest in doing it all again, just for some gear grind.