Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So it's not ok for "hardcores" to have gear progression?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
So it's not ok for "hardcores" to have gear progression?

Darth_Sookie
03.06.2012 , 10:58 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Richoshist View Post
Hardcore doesn't mean you're good. Hardcore means you don't have anything else going on in your life and can spend 15 hours a day at your keyboard.

Hardcore means you have little of value in your life aside from the character you created. The game is the one place where you can have something that no one else does. It is the one place where others look up to you, and envy you for what you have.

And when the devs open it up and allow everyone to have what the hardcores have, they don't feel like unique snowflakes anymore. They are right back to being average, just like they are in the real world.

They never seem to learn that in these games, it's not about what you have, it's about making the most of what you got.
Interesting definition you got there kid. I would equate Hardcore to mean more passionate about something.

Would you put the same stigma on say a proffessional athlete? Or someone who really like cars?

tehrealdealz
03.06.2012 , 10:59 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Sookie View Post
When the competetive elements of this game wants gear progression and character advancement it's because "we want to be carried by gear".
Whereas causals feel they should have a clear progression path all the way up to the best gear for little to no effort.

Why can't us hardcore players have something to work for that actually takes effort and teamplay to get? I want to feel i earned the gear, not getting it handed to me by merely participating in PvP.

Sure competition is it's own reward, which btw is why i'm still racking up lots of games daily even though there is no tangible reward in it for me except more titles. But just as the causals want gear progressions, so do we. Even if the gap is a small one like champ to bm gear, it's still nice to have stuff to look forward too.

Ranked players will spend most of their time in ranked warzones so it's not like we will spend all out time ganking you in non ranked.

Ill say this. If you want "gear progression", then you need to find another MMO. BW is doing what blizzard should have done and thats cater to casuals. I like that ANYONE can get the best gear and still have fun.

Cruxe
03.06.2012 , 11:02 AM | #33
The hardcore PvP gear progression will be the new ranked WZ battlemaster. It won't be any better than normal battlemaster, but it'll have a unique color/graphics. This is the way it should be. There is something for 'hardcore' PvPers to aspire to and show off without giving them an unfair competitive advantage through gear.
This is not the droid you're looking for.

Quote: Originally Posted by Makar View Post
I used to shoot arrows into completely different dimensions, until bizarro me took an arrow to the knee.

Semitote
03.06.2012 , 11:03 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by tehrealdealz View Post
Ill say this. If you want "gear progression", then you need to find another MMO. BW is doing what blizzard should have done and thats cater to casuals. I like that ANYONE can get the best gear and still have fun.
Why pay a monthly fee then? Every game without a monthly fee caters to casuals.
Semee - Legacy 39 - Valor 83 - Social VIII - Juggernaut
The Fatman Nerf Dialogue World #1 8M Empire
"Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense."

EternalFinality
03.06.2012 , 11:04 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Sookie View Post
Interesting definition you got there kid. I would equate Hardcore to mean more passionate about something.

Would you put the same stigma on say a proffessional athlete? Or someone who really like cars?
No, he's right.

Casual = doesn't play a lot

Hardcore = plays a lot

You really don't need to read further into it than that. And you SURE as hell aren't a professional.

Llilium
03.06.2012 , 11:05 AM | #36
MMO casuals that don't want to put effort into their game make me laugh so hard, i cry. you DESERVE to be stomped all over. its not even the gear that makes a differance in this game, in my opinion. the thing that makes ME sick is the fact that YOU expect to get all this handed to you, then YOU feel entitled to insult the people that actually DESERVE respect.

did you really think that elitests are the problem with this genre? you are the problem. you're worse than any elitest that has ever rofl stomped you, because you do the same as them except you have nothing to back you other than " i don't want to have to spend my time playing as if its a second job" and you always feel like everything is entitled to you because its not "fun".

they should make a kiddie bracket just for you all, where there IS no gear, just tokens that give you vanity crap. no gear progression. it'll be the same as you getting your crap handed to you. what? thats not acceptable? why not? because gear makes you feel special right? you like to feel like you've 'earned' something? SO DO WE. GET OVER IT.

Darth_Sookie
03.06.2012 , 11:06 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Laokoon View Post
OP which would you rather have:

1) A PvP match that is determined solely by the skill of the players
2) A PvP match that is determined solely by the gear of the players
3) A PvP match that is determined in part by the gear and in part by the skill of the players

A lot of people want a skill only match up: who is better at this game, you or I? To take care of the need to feel you are accomplishing something (which is what getting gear effectively does) many games implement stat tracking and character ranking for multiplayer. This gives you an avenue to progress your character without influencing the straight skill match up of the players. If you have an issue with progression via stat tracking and player ranking, could you please elaborate on that?
Option 1 naturally, but that is a non issue in Ranked as everyone at the top % will be equally geared save for what geear/trinket and mod choices they made. It's not wrong in my oppinion to leverage knowledge of the game to squeeze out a little bit of extra preformance out of your gear to give you that little edge.
Even in tournament WoW games you get a choice of gear sets.

EternalFinality
03.06.2012 , 11:06 AM | #38
Quote:
MMO casuals that don't want to put effort into their game make me laugh so hard,
Stop lying. This is what you really mean:

Quote:
MMO casuals that don't want to put as much time as me into their game make me laugh so hard,

Darth_Sookie
03.06.2012 , 11:10 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by EternalFinality View Post
No, he's right.

Casual = doesn't play a lot

Hardcore = plays a lot

You really don't need to read further into it than that. And you SURE as hell aren't a professional.
I'm a professional in real life which is what i am assuming you are refering to. We got plenty of underpreforming dead weight at work too that think we are work a holic ***-kissing brown noses who only got ahead of them because of our sucking up, and not because of our superior education and efforts. We got no life outside work, our lifes are empty our kids of unhappy delinquints blablabla. I heard it all before from the cry babies.

Llilium
03.06.2012 , 11:10 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by EternalFinality View Post
Stop lying. This is what you really mean:

yeah, put words into my mouth. you know so very well what i mean.

and to give you no room for a sarcastic comment, I'm being sarcastic. its nice to have someone reinforce my arguement almost minutes after i posted it though.