The stun excuse

paul_preib

While I understand that this game is extremely CC heavy and folks spend a lot of time stunned, I always find it funny how readily "stunlocked" is thrown out there by people figuring it's the best excuse.

While it has always been the chief answer to "why didn't you pass?" in huttball (even if said ballcarrier was still moving around the map when killed), finding it used more and more elsewhere too, such as earlier today watching a commando dpsing down the player in front of him while another opponent (non stealther) planted right behind him, for the final door at about the one minute mark.

After the cap "couldn't get him, stunlocked" then when two different players called him out that he was actively firing at someone else when it happened "well I didn't see anyone else helping so not my fault".

I guess at the end of the day one thing I'd just like to see is a little more of someone actively saying "that was me I screwed up"-- may not make me any less frustrated at a loss, but at least then I'd be mad about losing in general instead of at a specific person

Everyone knows that you can't call out for help while guarding a node if you are stunlocked, duh. Star wars stunlocks not only lock your char, but your keyboard as well.

FYI, when I asked someone once why they did not call out that someone was attacking our node in Civil War, they actually responded "I couldn't, was stunned".

Everyone knows that you can't call out for help while guarding a node if you are stunlocked, duh. Star wars stunlocks not only lock your char, but your keyboard as well.

FYI, when I asked someone once why they did not call out that someone was attacking our node in Civil War, they actually responded "I couldn't, was stunned".

At least they had (presumably) one legitimacy to it-- they were actually stunned. Granted that means they should have bveen even more likely to type since they could not do anything else, but there's one small something to take away.

While I understand that this game is extremely CC heavy and folks spend a lot of time stunned, I always find it funny how readily "stunlocked" is thrown out there by people figuring it's the best excuse.

While it has always been the chief answer to "why didn't you pass?" in huttball (even if said ballcarrier was still moving around the map when killed), finding it used more and more elsewhere too, such as earlier today watching a commando dpsing down the player in front of him while another opponent (non stealther) planted right behind him, for the final door at about the one minute mark.

After the cap "couldn't get him, stunlocked" then when two different players called him out that he was actively firing at someone else when it happened "well I didn't see anyone else helping so not my fault".

I guess at the end of the day one thing I'd just like to see is a little more of someone actively saying "that was me I screwed up"-- may not make me any less frustrated at a loss, but at least then I'd be mad about losing in general instead of at a specific person

Yeah, the Swtor PvP climate is not one where most people would feel comfortable admitting wrongdoing, particularly since if they are explaining themselves at all, it's probably because they are already being scolded by a complete stranger.

Yeah, the Swtor PvP climate is not one where most people would feel comfortable admitting wrongdoing, particularly since if they are explaining themselves at all, it's probably because they are already being scolded by a complete stranger.

True though I feel it is something of a two way street. Be it pve or pvp the desire to be helpful can wane considerably when it is met with consistently unfavorable reactions, sometimes this comes in the guise of being ignored and sometimes with flat-out hostility/defensiveness.

As someone who enjoys the theorycrafting/study as much as playing itself I'd happy talk a willing newcomer's ear off if they'd listen. Sadly for every 10 people that I try to offer tidbits to (dripping out one little item here or there so I don't end up giving them a lecture or essay) probably 1-2 attempt to take it to heart. Even simple things like "try and always keep a two-stack of your HoT on the tank even when not in combat" or "your defense is a bit high for your gear level considering a vanguard wants to be built around shield/absorb stacking primarily" gets a negative reaction much more'n positive.

I easily admit my mistakes ;) It happened 2-3 times during 2 months, once i was on my conceilment operative (which i played 2 times in total) and i missed the cap at hypergate. Not because i was sleeping i was attacking the capper using the same buttons, that i used to be using in this situation on my sorc :D It was something like acid blade/adrenaline probe and something more :D That was really dumb, and i apologized to the group for that. After it decided not to play more then 2 different classes, since motor memory can betray me again.

It happened once even on my main, which i consider well-known, and still i admitted my mistake. Although I had explanation - there was recent "inc 5" on other door, and have already seen 3 inc on my side :) Plus one stealth, as it became clear later (9 total - that's why i felt like they can't have any stealther with them) :) I find it's much better to admit this stuff, some people may react rude on this, but most people (those i care about :p ) are reasonable.

EDIT: Admitting your mistakes helps to improve yourself. Always, not just in game.

PS: i'm sorry for poor english knowledge, i hope it didn't ruin my idea :)

Edited by glocklB
added

the Swtor PvP climate

Well... that is not SWTOR exclusive... sadly this is a common problem.

If no one would make a mistake, every game would end in a draw. Yes anyone can miss a stun or not notice a capture. Accusing another person of doing so is however just as helpful as denying a mistake. Work together to correct a mistake instead of blaming each other.

The reason for that happening is, I think, related to the problem how our society changes atm. Everyone has to be perfect. That leads to everyone producing a **** up is blaming that **** up on someone else or circumstances, because no one must make any mistake - and they get away with that. Look at our politicans and top managers... banksters...

Op have you ever tried doing pvp in a warzone, with a class, that does not have mass amounts of cc. I run into a powertech, the first thing hes going to do is throw all his stuns at me and then light me up boom I am dead. I run into a sorc same thing. Yes it is stun locked. The only way I survive in a wz as a commando is showing up places that are not typical, and making sure I dont get noticed for the first few seconds I start firing. I could square off against a sorc with the same gear as me, and he more then likely would be able to beat me. Why? He can stun me and use his main dps abilities and repeat. Now I am not one to say a class needs a complete nerf. Balance in pvp is a extremely difficult tasks. I have done enough pvp to know this. If you look at the classes some classes have way too many cc compared to others. The ones that dont are the ones you will see being stunlocked.

This being said it has turned allot of players of the classes with a large amount of cc into idiots. They think they are the greatest thing on the face of planet when they stun some one in place. Sometimes I can trick them into thinking my get out of jail free card is still on cool down. So they stand there doing nothing as to show off how great they are, then I turn around and well let them have it.

This issue is not clean cut one way or the other, and I believe the devs know this. All one has to do is look at how much development time wow had put into solving the pvp balance issue. Most of their balance patches for pvp revolved around cc and interrupts.

Lastly I do not know about other commandos but I do try to help my team out whenever I can. Unless they are doing something really bad.

I guess at the end of the day one thing I'd just like to see is a little more of someone actively saying "that was me I screwed up"

I've seen it! I really have! In a Huttball a couple days ago, totally saw someone type into chat, "sorry, that crappy pass was my bad". But I know, screen shot or it didn't happen. I would have had a screen shot, but someone stunlocked me right then and I couldn't hit the screen-shot-keys on my keyboard. :D

Yes, just recently there was a player that was running with the ball on our own goal line for 15 secs. Eventually he died and when confronted he ofc said he was stunlocked. For the whole 15 secs. With the enemy team attacking him, so it was a hard stun all the time.

Well, now my eyes are opened and I realize how bad the stunlocks are in this game. Gonna start a new whine thread.

Yes, just recently there was a player that was running with the ball on our own goal line for 15 secs. Eventually he died and when confronted he ofc said he was stunlocked. For the whole 15 secs. With the enemy team attacking him, so it was a hard stun all the time.

Well, now my eyes are opened and I realize how bad the stunlocks are in this game. Gonna start a new whine thread.

How in any possible way can you get chainstunned for 15 seconds?!? Another question - how could you even survive that?

How in any possible way can you get chainstunned for 15 seconds?!? Another question - how could you even survive that?

Overlapping bubble stuns can keep you stunned for that long and at 200 resolve per stun, not even the last one will fill your resolve bar, and all of it is hard stun.

Could be they had a healer there keeping them up so long (last night I was carrying the ball on my shadow cause our team had no one else even remotely capable. I must have had the ball for over a solid minute as I got knocked off the scaffold right before the last fire, into the pit, got out of the pit, ran all the way back to mid with the ball, getting stunned, or rooted, or attacked the whole time, took the mid ramp up and still managed to score.

With good healers and all your cooldowns up (for classes with decent cooldowns) you'd be surprised how long you can stay up.

Not being able to pass a Huttball because of a stunlock is a very real situation. Mainly because if you have the ball, and if the other team has even a passing idea about what they're supposed to be doing, they're going to gang up on you and do everything they can to immobilize you and then beat the **** out of you, and stuns are the most effective way to make sure you stay in place.

In a situation like that, if I get stunlocked and burned down, all the grousing afterwards counts for exactly squat, and it really doesn't help when someone's screeching "WHY DIDNT U PASS???" Never mind the usual garbage grammar, I'm sure we all have time to take two to eight seconds to stop and present an in-depth battlefield analysis as to why we were standing immobile in one place with a horde of Republic ball players trying to shove their lightsabers and autocannons up our hindquarters.

It doesn't matter if I'm the one who 'didn't pass', if I was the one waiting to be passed to, or whether I'm simply on the same team. The pass wasn't made, I need to accept that, and I need to fight back the impulse of screaming at someone for an answer that will ultimately not satisfy me or anyone else.

Having said that, I do understand your frustration at someone simply not paying attention, and then claiming 'stunlock' as an excuse. Before I stopped playing Civil War altogether, I would have "Enemies at snow!" typed in and ready for me to hit the 'Return' key, and I would have my zoomed-out perspective constantly panning using the left mouse key (a tip someone passed along to me). Upon getting sapped by a shadow or scoundrel, or seeing incoming red above someone, I would scream like a stuck piglet (hit the 'Return' key), and then figure out what I was going to do to delay the cap until help arrived. And it always baffled me why some people never did the same when guarding the nodes in the same fashion (i.e. no stealth abilities myself).

Apart from being constructive (tips afterwards, regardless of reaction), there's not a lot anyone can do to change any of this. One has to be proactive - in my case, I refuse to play in Civil War, and it's vastly improved my opinion of PvP. _Plus I know asking for answers during a match is a recipe for a blood pressure spike, so I don't bother - the answer is never good enough.

Seems like the stunlocking thing happens when you're undergeared really. Reason it seems is because you have the choice to wait through your first stun to break cc, which when you're undergeared you may not live through, or breaking the cc. So you opt to break cc and get stunned again and die anyway, or if you wait you're dead within one more hit anyway.

Not being able to pass a Huttball because of a stunlock is a very real situation. Mainly because if you have the ball, and if the other team has even a passing idea about what they're supposed to be doing, they're going to gang up on you and do everything they can to immobilize you and then beat the **** out of you, and stuns are the most effective way to make sure you stay in place.

In a situation like that, if I get stunlocked and burned down, all the grousing afterwards counts for exactly squat, and it really doesn't help when someone's screeching "WHY DIDNT U PASS???" Never mind the usual garbage grammar, I'm sure we all have time to take two to eight seconds to stop and present an in-depth battlefield analysis as to why we were standing immobile in one place with a horde of Republic ball players trying to shove their lightsabers and autocannons up our hindquarters.

It doesn't matter if I'm the one who 'didn't pass', if I was the one waiting to be passed to, or whether I'm simply on the same team. The pass wasn't made, I need to accept that, and I need to fight back the impulse of screaming at someone for an answer that will ultimately not satisfy me or anyone else.

Having said that, I do understand your frustration at someone simply not paying attention, and then claiming 'stunlock' as an excuse. Before I stopped playing Civil War altogether, I would have "Enemies at snow!" typed in and ready for me to hit the 'Return' key, and I would have my zoomed-out perspective constantly panning using the left mouse key (a tip someone passed along to me). Upon getting sapped by a shadow or scoundrel, or seeing incoming red above someone, I would scream like a stuck piglet (hit the 'Return' key), and then figure out what I was going to do to delay the cap until help arrived. And it always baffled me why some people never did the same when guarding the nodes in the same fashion (i.e. no stealth abilities myself).

Apart from being constructive (tips afterwards, regardless of reaction), there's not a lot anyone can do to change any of this. One has to be proactive - in my case, I refuse to play in Civil War, and it's vastly improved my opinion of PvP. _Plus I know asking for answers during a match is a recipe for a blood pressure spike, so I don't bother - the answer is never good enough.

While I realize it can happen as someone who's sat there spamming "H" (my huttball pass keybind) praying it'll go off before I go down, this was more a commentary on those people who are very obviously not stunned that throw it out, something I am seeing far too often. If you were running/shooting/etc. then don't bother trying to say you were stunned, you don't have to take the weight of everything with a "it was me I'm terrible" etc. but just do your team the courtesy of staying quiet as they all know you were not at all "stunlocked"

The biggest thing I have noticed, and sadly done some myself, is when you get jumped and stunned your mind tends to panic and your first reaction is to run or fight back against what is hitting you instead of either defending the objective or typing for help in chat.

I routinely do this to players on my scoundrel, instead of using dirty kick right after the shoot first stun wears off, I use my leg blast that I have specced to give me a root. Most players will panic at the fact they cannot move and they won't even fight back because they think they are still stunned.

But I agree its common place for people to blame everyone else but themselves when something goes wrong.