Crew Skills help for a NOOB

Buddha_F_Baby

I've been playing as a Imperial Agent and my companion learned her first crew skill which is armstech. Now that she's learned that how do I have her make me stuff? Simple things to make like barrels and such require me to purchase items or something to build them. This is my first time playing SWTOR and an MMO for that matter. Can someone direct me to a link or just give me a general tutorial on how to do crew skills. The one in game isn't super helpful. Again... I'm a super noob... sorry :(

The main gathering crewskill to support armstech you need is scavenging.

Take scavenging for second crew skill which allows gathering crafting materials mainly from junk piles found all over the world as well as some defeated droid enemies. Gathering skills allow also getting materials from just sending companions on missions, but this should be avoided due to costs, and better to just gather crafting materials from nodes found all over nearly all areas where you quest.

For third crew skill one may take investigation for more advanced materials used by armstech. Investigation is pure mission skill that let's you only get materials by sending companions to missions.

You will need to gather crafting materials. You do this with the Scavenging skill. Scavenging nodes will appear on your minimap as stars *. To gather from a node, right click on the node.

Once you have the materials, hit N to open the crew window. you'll see a picture of Kaliyo and beside her, icons representing your crew skills. Click on the Armstech icon and the crafting window will pop up. Select what you want her to make and click "Craft." You can queue up to 5(?) items.

All the schematics that appear by default are for greens. To get schematics for Blues, click on the "Reverse Engineer" button in your inventory. Any items in your inventory that you can RE will be highlighted. (Or rather, things you cannot RE will be shaded out.) Click on an item to try to RE it. Your chances of successfully RE-ing are based on your level in the crew skill and luck.

Some more tips:

Open your "missions" menu and look for a tab at the bottom labelled "codex." In that tab you will have a link called "crew skills" and you can click that link to look at some details for all the different crew skills in the game. They will tell you (for example) that Armstech recommends you also get scavenging and investigation. Scavenging is a gathering skill that provides some of the materials you need to make stuff. Investigation is a crew skill that provides some of the materials you need to make the higher quality stuff.

You can learn schematics to make the higher quality stuff by reverse engineering the lesser quality stuff (described in one of the other posts here).

As you make stuff, you will gain levels in Armstech and have the ability to learn higher level stuff. You don't get the higher level schematics automatically, though. You have to return to your Armstech trainer and buy new recipes from him every few armstech levels. When you look at your schematics, anything printed in grey is considered too easy to make to get you levels and won't raise your armstech level if you make it. Anything printed in green or yellow will gain you 1 point of Armstech for making it. Anything printed in orange will gain you 2 points of armstech for making it. When most of your recipes are grey, you can't gain levels in armstech until you go to the trainer and learn some more recipes from him.

Eventually (faily early on) not all your materials will come from your 2 other crew skills. You will have to buy materials from a vendor in the game called a "crew skills vendor." The vendor supplied mats are always printed in white (as opposed to green or blue for the other materials that are player supplied). There aren't too many of these crew skills vendors around, but you can always find one on the fleet located near where you buy new armstech schematics from the armstech trainer.

Thank you so much guys. You guys are life savors. :D I am indeed a subscriber so I will see when I can put a second crew skill on my companion.

Btw You can have 3 skills (Crafting :makes items,stims,medpacks, etc. Gathering: Gets materials for the crafting skill And one other one I forget what its called: Gets other things needed to craft more advanced things. You want to take all three not just 2. Work on all of them evenly to manage your crafting. Have fun!