Welcome to Game Update 2.1: Customization

You seem to be confusing F2P with Freemium - wich this game is. This game is not competing with mediocre titles like World of Tanks or whatever that Crimecraft is (titles that are class Z?). It is competing with Lord of the Rings Online, Everquest 2, Aion, Age of Conan, Vanguard, and soon Rift too, etc (wich are done by well known and talented companies), Freemium games (games with a subscription and a free to play option that has several limitations). Freemium is done aiming to get more subscriptions.

Guild Wars 2 is also competing with this game, and it has far less limitations on the F2P component.

I wouldnt play those F2P mediocre titles unless I got payed for that. I dont need to, I can still afford a subscription to get quality gameplay. I have tried some out of curiosity, Rune of Magic and other options of the same style (done by devs with good background). We even have to pay if we want a mount wich isnt F2P at all, unless you enjoy the boredom of running around all the time. I do however am willing to accept Freemium if I do enjoy a game, but only to a certain extend where it doesnt require subscribers the same has the F2P example I gave, like the mount requirement I mentioned.

um, so what exactly are you saying? are you saying the free to play players deserve to have the same options as paying players? doesn't sound very profitable for any game to do that. And in order to encourage players to invest, limitations have to be made. In order to keep the game looking good and have various looking things in it, limitations have to be made...even for paying players. Not much fun if everyone had black capes in the game. takes away being unique....

btw, comparing to other games probably isn't the best thing either. Star Wars in general has an entire fanatic fan base much larger than most other sports, movies, games, etc.... Naturally the prices will be higher due to their being more people with larger amounts of money playing the game. This creates limits as well as far as options go. Those other games I mentioned, probably doesn't have the same thing as SWOTOR either. Do those games have 8 different class storylines with multiple side quests for f2p players that actually use cutscenes instead of a paragraph? Sorry, but so far I haven't seen another quite as interesting as SWOTOR with versatility, customization, personalization, game types, class variances, animations, etc....

btw, I wasn't confusing anything with anything. I would repeat myself, but I think you can just re-read what I typed.

As far as you not playing some of those mediocre titles because you aren't getting paid, seems to me you are losing out on being able to appreciate a game like this available as a free to play game. I am sure you will and/or have complained on those other game's forums as well about not being able to have what others paid for too.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a few days playing with the customization, I foresee a number of potential issues, and would like to suggest a consideration on how to fix it. I'm not saying I'm right, or my solution's the only solution, but just I'm looking ahead and have a concern.

I LIKE the dye options. It gives me the chance to change the (sometimes awful) colors of gear to something more pleasing. I like that dyes are created through Artifice, as it gives another dimension to an oft-maligned Crew skill.

That said, here's the issue: As it has been presented you get 3 options: change Primary, change Secondary, and change Primary and Secondary. The customization is only partial, since not all colors are available, and not all colors available are craftable (as yet) via Artifice. Again, I can conceive that is to encourage buying through the Cartel Market.

Several problems lie ahead if the dye system isn't thought out now.

1) all dye recipes are purple, which, if I understand the rules correctly, automatically exclude premium and F2P crafters from even using them.

2) Assuming dye recipes are added to Artifice every update or so, it could lead to potentially hundreds of schematics dealing with various combinations. Just assuming 12 primary (ROYGBIV, Blk, Brwn, Wth, Grey, Lt Grey) and 12 secondary schematics alone, there could be 144 potential schematics for primary and secondary pairings. That would make artifice overwhelmed.

3) There seems to be no rhyme or reason to what makes a dye set Premium, Prototype, or Artifact, which I find somewhat confusing.

I'm hoping that there's a plan to streamline that, and here's a thought on a solution:

1) Make dye colors Tiered. For Example:

Red, Green and Blue (and their shades) could be Premium.

Yellow, Orange, and Purple, Brown, and Grey could be Prototype

Black and White could be Artifact.

That way, you don't overwhelm Artifice with a gazillion schematics, and there's a rationale for what color is what.

2) Make the dye packs "Custom Crafted" So you would take, say, a black and red dye pack, put them in a "blank module" and apply, and it would make a Black/Red dye module. It's quality could be considered Artifact since the Black was Artifact level.

I'm not saying the idea is perfect, but I would like to see something come down the line more in keeping with "Customizatoin." As it is , it's a limited customizatoin.

That does seem like a lot...soo much in fact that I barely understood what your solution was. Was tired when I read it, but I figured it out. Sounds like a good idea.

um, so what exactly are you saying? are you saying the free to play players deserve to have the same options as paying players? doesn't sound very profitable for any game to do that. And in order to encourage players to invest, limitations have to be made. In order to keep the game looking good and have various looking things in it, limitations have to be made...even for paying players. Not much fun if everyone had black capes in the game. takes away being unique....

What I am saying is that most other Freemium games allow you to use the barbershop for 1 in-game gold or less. Exception made on Aion wich also requires a store ticket like SWTOR. And has far as i know this rule applies to both subscribers and non subscribers (I'm a subscriber).

Like I said on my feedback post, I do agree that changing race and swaping to the new eye color/hair style should be payed with real cash. I do not however agree that we should pay real life money for options that were here since launch. And I think 3 new hairstyle for humans only is overpriced, because its only usable on humans.

You say that subscribers get more then enouigh juice from their subscription. I'm starting to worry has I see this game direction acting more like if it was a true F2P without "Premium membership" (aka subs), in the sense that its charging for even the most basic stuff now. And no, I dont think F2P players should be forced to pay to change hairstyle either, if that hairstyle was on character creation screen since the begining.

Thats what I mean.

I agree to this and don't. As much as I would like to have it for free, why would BW do it if it didn't help the profits?

Asked? Never been asked to spend any of my Cartel Coins. Expected...maybe. But I have control of how I wish to spend my Cartel Coins. I think the price is too high sure enough, but expecting it to be free is ludicrous....

Because it DOES help the profits. Had they simply allowed players to change basic features as part of this update like hair style, hair color, scars, tan, eye color - or hell, only a couple of those, people would have been THRILLED with this update for the customization it allowed. THRILLED customers tell the people they know. THRILLED customers spread their excitedness on other forums. THRILLED customers defend the game. THRILLED customers are your best freaking weapon in re-winning lost subscribers or keeping new players.

Instead - they created BITTER players for a quick 5 day run at some easy $. Rather than this being a NEW added FEATURE that improved SWTOR for the long term, it's simply another cartel item.

And stop being so freaking literal, "asked" as in - that's what they "suggest" that subscribers should use their monthly pittance/handout/charitable gift of cartel coins for, for things we like in the store...after-all, that is how they design all cartel items right? With our monthly coins in mind.

What I am saying is that most other Freemium games allow you to use the barbershop for 1 in-game gold or less. Exception made on Aion wich also requires a store ticket like SWTOR. And has far as i know this rule applies to both subscribers and non subscribers (I'm a subscriber).

Like I said on my feedback post, I do agree that changing race and swaping to the new eye color/hair style should be payed with real cash. I do not however agree that we should pay real life money for options that were here since launch. And I think 3 new hairstyle for humans only is overpriced, because its only usable on humans.

You say that subscribers get more then enouigh juice from their subscription. I'm starting to worry has I see this game direction acting more like if it was a true F2P without "Premium membership" (aka subs), in the sense that its charging for even the most basic stuff now. And no, I dont think F2P players should be forced to pay to change hairstyle either, if that hairstyle was on character creation screen since the begining.

Thats what I mean.

ok. I see what you are saying. thank you.

I also agree in that it should cost cc for species, tatoo, and skin color changes (include the newly released items too of course). And I also agree that it should only cost cc's if the newer or above things were to be changed instead of the things that were there since the game's birth. Makes more sense that a barber can redo your hair on occasion....lol

An no, I just think that subscriptions are good as they are. Getting a subscription has its own rewards and doesn't really include discounted items unless they (employees) wish to reward the subscribers. Of which I am all for when they do. Makes it feel more worth while being appreciated....

Because it DOES help the profits. Had they simply allowed players to change basic features as part of this update like hair style, hair color, scars, tan, eye color - or hell, only a couple of those, people would have been THRILLED with this update for the customization it allowed. THRILLED customers tell the people they know. THRILLED customers spread their excitedness on other forums. THRILLED customers defend the game. THRILLED customers are your best freaking weapon in re-winning lost subscribers or keeping new players.

Ok. i agree to some point for customization. Please refer to above post.... however, appearance items are finicky at best when considering word of mouth advertising. I don't think something like this will bring back the once used to be subscribers all that much. New games/gameplay, missions, etc... is what will bring back players. Like what they did with the expansion for example...

Instead - they created BITTER players for a quick 5 day run at some easy $. Rather than this being a NEW added FEATURE that improved SWTOR for the long term, it's simply another cartel item.

No matter what, every time something new is implemented, disgruntled players will always happen if they can't get it for free. No different than if your best friend was able to buy the type of car you always wanted that you couldn't afford. It bugs ya... In regards to this, I have seen it time after time with every new thing that a game creates. People always complaining about new stuff and what has not been taken care of yet and how unhappy they are...blah blah blah. When in fact, they could easily just quit the game if they didn't like what they were doing with the game....

And stop being so freaking literal, "asked" as in - that's what they "suggest" that subscribers should use their monthly pittance/handout/charitable gift of cartel coins for, for things we like in the store...after-all, that is how they design all cartel items right? With our monthly coins in mind.

I don't think the free cc's from subscriptions are based on the selling cost of an item. I think the selling cost of an item has multiple things to consider before listing the cost. Such as "How much are people willing to pay for said item?", "How many of those items should be out there?", "Does it improve you toons statistics?",,,, and those are just few examples. The free cc's you get each month being a subscriber is more or less based on teasing players to venture into buying specific items from the cartel market. Those cc's are kind of like a reward and additional promotion. So, in other words, those 500 cc's wont be able to buy you a whole new outfit, but will/can buy you a new article of clothing.

lol. did I hurt your feelings? I must have because you propose no argument as to what I had to say....

lol? you?! Read your own quote from #263. See how stupid your remarks sound. You can not hope to defend from my post. That is of course why you are too immature to formulate a real argument, with anyone here. You decided you could take everyone on?! You are too dense to grasp the substrative purpose for what is going on. You see someone with a negative post and decide I'm going to be that one self appointed hero who can't even formulate an argument. I'm going to say its stupid because I am so cool. That should be good right there.

Buddy, I've got a ball here. Perhaps you'd like to bounce it. Leave the big boy talk to the grown ups, K? ;)

lol? you?! Read your own quote from #263. See how stupid your remarks sound. You can not hope to defend from my post. That is of course why you are too immature to formulate a real argument, with anyone here. You decided you could take everyone on?! You are too dense to grasp the substrative purpose for what is going on. You see someone with a negative post and decide I'm going to be that one self appointed hero who can't even formulate an argument. I'm going to say its stupid because I am so cool. That should be good right there.

Buddy, I've got a ball here. Perhaps you'd like to bounce it. Leave the big boy talk to the grown ups, K? ;)

Yep, definitely hurt your feelings....lol.

Why would I defend your post? It sounds stupid.

You mention that I was lame in my arguments. Seriously? Because I don't see you arguing much of anything. You are just simply attacking and it is becoming more apparent that you have no reasoning or logic behind anything that you say.

If you honestly think that all your friends will come back to the game because of a few customizations, you are daft. You might get one out of perhaps 20 (at best) to re-purchase into a subscription or buy that specific item. But I seriously doubt they will come back on the sole basis of getting that.....

I am not soo much defending the employees as much as i am giving them credit.... i am simply stating my point of view as if I were one of the employees or perhaps even the guy that makes the big decisions.... It is all about profit. And profit for companies is really the only real motivator in whatever they decide. If you can not grasp this idea, then it is apparent that you think everything should be for free.

Oh, btw. You can keep your ball. I have two balls and a bat......

Edited by FatZomby
added explanation

And it's responses like THIS that guarantee we won't have Dev communication.

OMG I broke the Dev communication. Now what are we going to do? Because up until I posted they were excellent at communicating with players.

But... But it hasn't happened. How can he provide pics of something that has not yet occurred? Secondly, what did you expect from an update called 'Customization'? 6 new Ops?

They have mentioned the SSSP for months. That plus the other list of usual promises without anything to substantiate that they are being worked on. I don't believe the hype.

And you should really learn to read. I didn't say that I expected 2.1 to include anything more than it did. What I did say was that next time they shouldn't have an update that's only Cartel Market. It was a strategical error on their part. More specifically, had they included the CM update with some new playable content the bulk of players would be focusing on that. IMO they should always make large CM updates like 2.1 in partnership with playable content.

And yes, I know it was off cycle. Like I said in another thread they should have just held 2.1 back and rolled 2.2 into it. CM only updates are going to continue to be black eyes on this game that it cannot afford.

I have to agree with you on that with an only Cartel Market update. Something like that was a bad call. I would say a failed attempt, but at least they are trying something new on how to go about things. Too many games get stuck in ruts with a specific way of doing things and pretty much kills things for them.

Perhaps a new flashpoint would be good for all to try and play. Not just the level 50+'s that can play it. I like the normal, hard, and nightmare modes that they have... And normal should be something that everyone can play. Hard should be in the upper brackets, and nightmare should definitely be in the 50+. Idk for sure, but it kind of sounds good....lol

Anyway, i do agree with you on that.

I am really dissapointed with the new customization!

I really thought there would be more!

I think that there should for example be more hair types availible for the Cathar.

I assume that it was easy to add new cybernethics to the cyborg since there are about 40 new but only three new patterns for the Twilek.

And why does it have to cost 1 800 cartel points if you want to change race and name to your character?!

Im not sure if this is the right place but here goes. I'm loving the collection system but i was wondering if its possible to add my pathfinder cartel armour set (lvl 31) to my collection? I cant seem to find a way to do it ive been hearing things like take out mods and such but that can be expensive for a poor man like me. Plz help

Im not sure if this is the right place but here goes. I'm loving the collection system but i was wondering if its possible to add my pathfinder cartel armour set (lvl 31) to my collection? I cant seem to find a way to do it ive been hearing things like take out mods and such but that can be expensive for a poor man like me. Plz help

The answer to this is yes and no. Yes, you can add your pathfinder set to your collection, by equipping all of the pieces on one character. You do not need to remove the mods. However, you will not be able to unlock it for duplication at this time. That option is unavailable for armor sets that come with mods in them. I am really, really hoping they will change that as I have a level 31 set, the Outlaw's Armor Set, that I just love and would love to unlock it for duplication. I hope they will make it so you can duplicate it without the mods in it.

The answer to this is yes and no. Yes, you can add your pathfinder set to your collection, by equipping all of the pieces on one character. You do not need to remove the mods. However, you will not be able to unlock it for duplication at this time. That option is unavailable for armor sets that come with mods in them. I am really, really hoping they will change that as I have a level 31 set, the Outlaw's Armor Set, that I just love and would love to unlock it for duplication. I hope they will make it so you can duplicate it without the mods in it.

Thank you for telling us all this. This will stop me from using my Cartel Coins on those items...

I currently have a full outlaw set and was going to buy another set for the soldier/bounty hunter with that armor plate in front. But now that I know that it won't get added to the set, I will hold off on buying that other armor piece....phew :o:o:o:o:o:o:o